• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you booked with a Free Dining Offer? Poll: Have you been contacted and what offer given?

Contacted with new offer?

• Yes, received a new offer - 35% current stay

Votes: 130 53.7%
  • Yes, received a new offer - 35% off later stay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, only generic email

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • No email and no offer yet

Votes: 74 30.6%

• Total voters
We also received word from our TA that "in all likelihood your resort will be changed." We are currently at CSR. With a 35% room discount and a move to a DVC resort we will happily keep this trip. May just be a lower key trip from previous ones, a change my husband will likely be thrilled about lol

We rebooked for late Sept with free dining .just received a email within the last hour saying our booked package will be adjusted to the 35% room discount and we'll receive a new confirmation number .
I received the email last night as well with the 35% discount. At least this is saving us over 700.00 for a ASMo. Someone else had a good question about the park hopper tickets. i wonder too, if they'll reimburse us for that.

Got the 35% off current package and it doesn’t really cover the loss of free DDP but it is something. I hadn’t thought about the possibility of getting a resort upgrade. At this point I’m still undecided. The DGS I’m taking is not much of an eater so HE doesn’t care. No fireworks, shorter hours but most likely less crowded. Masks would be an issue. I assume we still have the same cancellation rules so I have 2 months to decide. Gonna wait & watch.

September 1-8
Pop Century
Booked Free Dining offer Jan 2
Received 35% off room portion of current stay

It was a special trip celebrating both mine and my daughters birthday. We had all our special ADRs: Cali Grill dinner, Cali Grill brunch, Artist Point, BOG PPO, Garden Grill PPO, Beaches and Cream, etc.

With no parades, no fireworks, no character M&Gs, no dining plans, no ADRs, no EMHs, no FPs, no pin trading, reduced hours, required face masks ..., it just wont be the kind of Disney experience we want. So we are going to cancel. We aren't interested in 35% off room for current experience. We want our free dining and a discount off a future stay!

Last edited:

What ever happened to the 35% off future stay? That's what the announcement initially said. We were so excited about that. We decided to cancel this trip. It just feels too risky, my little kids won't be able to wear masks all day, so many parts are cancelled, they took away our free dining. I'm so disappointed.

We're actually okay with the 35% off room discount. We prefer something in between QS and Regular Dining Plan. We go for 11-12 nights and don't want QS the entire time, but don't want to schedule in a TS every day and be tied to that. Plus we like apps more than dessert! I think in the end, the 35% room discount will end up costing us about the same as Free Dining, we will just eat less! And after the covid shutdown weight gain - it's not a bad thing!

The thing we will watch for in the future are reduced experiences (no parades or fireworks) and masks. That will drive our cancellation, not the loss of Free Dining.

What ever happened to the 35% off future stay? That's what the announcement initially said. We were so excited about that. We decided to cancel this trip. It just feels too risky, my little kids won't be able to wear masks all day, so many parts are cancelled, they took away our free dining. I'm so disappointed.

To be fair, the 35% off a future stay was never actually formally "announced"--it was just something people got via TA/CM inside info. Another reminder that even though there are lots of rumors floating around, we have to wait for the official announcement to know anything for sure. I expect that they felt (or got a lot of angry feedback) that (1) it was not okay to require people who had budgeted based on a free dining discount they had been promised to have to pay rack rate for their upcoming stays and not be able to make any modifications to their reservations; and (2) it wouldn't be fair to give free dining guests whose reservations have NOT been cancelled by disney a future discount, but not give a future discount to anyone whose vacation HAS been cancelled by Disney.

I don't think 35% is fair--it gives a windfall to people whose dining plan value is less (e.g., party of two staying at a deluxe hotel) and shortchanges people like us whose dining plan value is far more (i.e., family of 5 at a moderate). I think they should have given a credit in the amount of the dining plan per-day cost. But I do think it does make the vacation more affordable than rack rate plus full dining cost, and puts us closer in the position of what we would have gotten (i.e., a room only discount) if we hadn't been offered free dining in the first place.

The thing we will watch for in the future are reduced experiences (no parades or fireworks) and masks. That will drive our cancellation, not the loss of Free Dining.

These things have all already been announced.

Here is the info I Just got from a TA friend, She said things are changing and was told to tell her clients that,

Beyond what has been posted about the 35% discount, is that people will be refunded for park hoppers And they will not be selling them foe the time being

She also shared that not all resorts will be opening from that start and that it appears people will be moved to the properties of the DVC resorts, Guests will have no option as to which one either,

She did say the tentative plan is for reservations starting July 11th.
is this coming from a reliable source? i'm wondering how much of a change you can make to your package besides the dates.

I would take this all with a grain of salt. This is not information that was released to EarMarked agencies. While this TA may have had a call with a regional sales manager, anything information NOT published can change at any minute. Until it is released in writing, this is all speculative.

To be fair, the 35% off a future stay was never actually formally "announced"--it was just something people got via TA/CM inside info. Another reminder that even though there are lots of rumors floating around, we have to wait for the official announcement to know anything for sure. I expect that they felt (or got a lot of angry feedback) that (1) it was not okay to require people who had budgeted based on a free dining discount they had been promised to have to pay rack rate for their upcoming stays and not be able to make any modifications to their reservations; and (2) it wouldn't be fair to give free dining guests whose reservations have NOT been cancelled by disney a future discount, but not give a future discount to anyone whose vacation HAS been cancelled by Disney.

I don't think 35% is fair--it gives a windfall to people whose dining plan value is less (e.g., party of two staying at a deluxe hotel) and shortchanges people like us whose dining plan value is far more (i.e., family of 5 at a moderate). I think they should have given a credit in the amount of the dining plan per-day cost. But I do think it does make the vacation more affordable than rack rate plus full dining cost, and puts us closer in the position of what we would have gotten (i.e., a room only discount) if we hadn't been offered free dining in the first place.

That is entirely correct. It came via info that briefly showed up on DTA and was quickly deleted (but not before it was screenshot). Until things are formally published by Disney on an official site like DPB or DTA, it's all fluid and should be seen as speculative.

Yep - I meant in December - sorry about that, I wasn't clear. If these reduced experiences are still in effect in December, we will cancel.
Good point--too hard to predict for December at this point.

I would take this all with a grain of salt. This is not information that was released to EarMarked agencies. While this TA may have had a call with a regional sales manager, anything information NOT published can change at any minute. Until it is released in writing, this is all speculative.
Absolutely agree, but Bob Chapek DID say that not all hotels would be opened by July 11, so we do know some people will have to be relocated. Whether everyone will be moved to DVC resorts seems more speculative--given they are still allowing DVC resort reservations and people have expiring points, there might not be enough room at those resorts for non-DVC guests. Maybe they meant DVC resorts PLUS resorts that share facilities with DVC (e.g., BWI and BWV) since it would make sense operationally to open those at a same time. Whereas resorts with no DVC (e.g. POR/POFQ) won't open.

Whether official or not, it just seems necessary that Park Hopper is toast. Otherwise you'd have everyone show up at park open at AK for FOP or at HS for ROTR/MMRR instead of being divided evenly between 4 parks.

From my Disney email this morning:

“We will be modifying your package to remove the dining plan. As an accommodation, the price of the package will be adjusted to reflect a 35% savings on the room portion. This modified package and price will be provided in a new confirmation.”

My package dates are 6/21-6/25. Exactly what am I getting a new confirmation for? A trip on my choice of new dates? Good for how long?

That’s my question too!!!

The dining plan per day cost for a family of 5 could be the equivalent of daily rack rate for a room at a moderate. Do you really think Disney should be comping entire resort stays for families at values and moderates?

Good point--too hard to predict for December at this point.

Absolutely agree, but Bob Chapek DID say that not all hotels would be opened by July 11, so we do know some people will have to be relocated. Whether everyone will be moved to DVC resorts seems more speculative--given they are still allowing DVC resort reservations and people have expiring points, there might not be enough room at those resorts for non-DVC guests. Maybe they meant DVC resorts PLUS resorts that share facilities with DVC (e.g., BWI and BWV) since it would make sense operationally to open those at a same time. Whereas resorts with no DVC (e.g. POR/POFQ) won't open.

Whether official or not, it just seems necessary that Park Hopper is toast. Otherwise you'd have everyone show up at park open at AK for FOP or at HS for ROTR/MMRR instead of being divided evenly between 4 parks.

Yes, completely agree.

That’s my question too!!!

35% off a future stay was never officially announced. It was info that was posted on DTA and quickly taken down, but not before someone took a screenshot of it.

I'm guessing the 35% off for future stays is for people that were booked up until July 11th and won't be able to take their vacations. People booked after the opening date, just have their booked vacation adjusted by 35%.

We are DVC and AP holders booked on a cash reservation using the recovery free dining offer. We chose to book a deluxe resort (AKL) so we would receive the regular dining plan instead of the QS. I certainly don’t have a problem with upgrades for those who booked value or moderates but I’m feeling a bit short changed receiving a discount that isn’t much different than an AP rate. This is especially true since it sounds like I’ll still be forced to purchase the base tickets I didn’t need but were required for the free dining package.
I hope I’ve misinterpreted the email but I’m
not holding out hope.

It makes me a bit angry at myself that I didn’t change our resort from BWV to FQ as I was debating it for a while. Had I done that I could have gotten a deluxe at a mod rate with 35% off. Boo

No indication at this time that there will be significant upgrades, if any. I could see them opening x number of resorts at each level and moving people to another resort AT THAT LEVEL. Outlying resorts that depend solely on bus transportation would remain closed & guests registered there would move to the resort(s) in that category that are open. For example, All-stars to Pop or AOA which have access to the gondola. POR/FQ to CBR. AKL, SS, OKW to MK/EP resorts. This would keep everyone in their resort tier yet give additional transportation options. 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter