WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to come by and update some things we’ve encountered this week. When I’ve gone Into the app to reserve a time, I am having to go into my tip board in MDE, look up the ride I want, and then make the return time for DAS. The icon won’t pop up on my menu when we’re in the parks. (Back at the room, I can see it, go figure!).

I was also told we can’t make a parkhopper DAS return time through guest services. We have to do it after we scan into the 2nd park.

Some CMs have been wonderful, others not so much. Really appreciate the ones who are- and trying to be sure I get cast compliments in for them!

I was also told we can’t make a parkhopper DAS return time through guest services. We have to do it after we scan into the 2nd park.
I thot that’s the way it was from the get-go.

it’s nice that you can set one up for a return when taking a break from the park. although it would also be nice to pick the next park, I understand the reasoning behind not permitting it.

I'm on the verge of giving up for the evening and trying early tomorrow morning.

Logged in at 8:04 pm. Still nothing as of 8:42 pm.

At 9:56 I got through to the absolute nicest CM. She went over the 10:00 pm time and was thorough and polite. She tried to transfer me to the other part but it didn't work I believe because it was after 10.

Last edited:
I have 3 sons with special needs, ages 5, 7, 11. It is very much a dance at home to keep all 3 going during the day. Do I pre-register all 3? Because we have 3 and one sometimes needs a break, either my husband or I will sit out with one while the others go on the ride. This isn't a problem at Universal Florida or Legoland California (in Legoland, guest services just has 1 chosen child on the pass for the day, because they only issue 1 pass for the group, however, they let anyone in the party ride and don't insist that the child on the pass be present).

I have been to Universal Studios Florida with my children 4 years ago (youngest was a baby), and while I registered them and had a stroller as a wheelchair to help my 2 older ones in case they needed a place to sit and pull the canopy down while in line, we had the Unlimited Express Passes from staying on property for a mid-November trip, and we only waited 2-3 minutes for each ride. It was the perfect amount of sensory for my kids. Walk, wait 2-3 minutes, ride, and have a break and walk again. We also took afternoon naps and breaks for snacks and meals and got them to bed at their regular bedtimes.

This year we have season passes to Legoland, CA and have been 3 times so far. With our youngest now in the mix, their pass has worked well, and we have only been during less busy times. I accidentally went through the regular line without a stroller as wheelchair for our last ride of the day the first time we went. Only 20 minutes, but it was enough for my youngest to have a total meltdown and scare another child in line. That park usually has us enter through ride exits, so my children don't usually have to interact with others too much.

I know Lightning Lanes aren't usually that long, but my kids haven't had to regularly wait for 10 minutes in a line with a bunch of other people before. Honestly, I haven't taken them to Disney because I am worried about how they will do there. However, my in-laws want to bring my brother-in-law's family and our family to Disneyland together. So sweet of them, but I am nervous about how it will go.

Anyone have experience with sensory processing issues and people/stranger issues with multiple children in the parks and managing their needs while helping everyone in the family have fun? (We are a family of 6). Also, I am not sure what to do about us using DAS. There will be 14 of us total, so while just our family of 6 would be fine, I would *like* to be able to do rides with my husband's family. I don't know if that would be possible.

Words of wisdom and experience appreciated!

Ideally, I would assume that the 3 of them could be together with us in a group, but all of us just have 1 return time. If 1 can't ride, then the rest of the group can go, and I can cancel for the child and adult sitting out and then move to the next ride. Does the new DAS Genie allow this?

@fairy8i8 I believe the answer is yes you definitely should register all three. Whoever is using the DAS is going to have to scan first and then everyone else in the party will scan afterwards. If one of your children needs a break and it was their Das reservation, you would need them to scan in order for everyone else to go in. With that in mind it seems like the safest thing to do would be to register all of the children. Maybe someone sees it differently but that’s the immediate thought I had.

Ideally, I would assume that the 3 of them could be together with us in a group, but all of us just have 1 return time.
Yes, you'll need to get DAS for each of the children - for the reasons stated above, if 1 needs to sit out or take a break then the rest of the party would not be allowed to ride. With 3 DAS, each child has his/her own return time but if you request them at the same time you should all have the same return time (and DAS doesn't "end" it's good until used), with the rest of your party named on one of the kids' DAS. That's important to watch because you say you have a party of 6, so if one of the DAS kids needs to sit out, anyone who received a return time on that child's DAS will not be allowed to ride. So you will have to try and judge which child is least likely to need a break.

As for the rest of the extended family - they could be named on the DAS as well, but only a max of 5 (plus DAS holder) on each; therefore again, if someone needs to sit out at the last minute that will knock out anyone who has a return time on that child's DAS.

Be aware that at least at WDW, LL waits have been reported up to 30 or even 40 minutes lately. While that is the extreme, it isn't uncommon for LL to be 15-20 minutes. I haven't watched what's going on at DLR to know if it's similar or different.

I have 2 children eligible for DAS, If I recall correctly, it was several years ago, both of my kids got one but my husband and I were not allowed to be on each of their DAS's as a guest so my husband was added to 1 child and I was added to the other.

I have 2 children eligible for DAS, If I recall correctly, it was several years ago, both of my kids got one but my husband and I were not allowed to be on each of their DAS's as a guest so my husband was added to 1 child and I was added to the other.
That was the case at one point, but has not worked like that for several years.
A short time after they switched from being a paper pass to digital, they allowed the additional guests to be listed on each DAS in the group. The guest(s) registered for DAS can’t be linked to another guest registered to DAS, but others can be.

Each guest registered or linked to DAS can only have one active DAS Return Time; if mom is on child 1’s DAS Return Time, she can’t be included in a DAS Return Time for child 2. Since it’s digital, the guests who are already on an active DAS Return Time are electronically unavailable to add to another.

The WDW website is clear that the person registered to DAS must on the attraction; having the DAS user scan in and the leave the line would be considered abuse.

Yes, you'll need to get DAS for each of the children - for the reasons stated above, if 1 needs to sit out or take a break then the rest of the party would not be allowed to ride. With 3 DAS, each child has his/her own return time but if you request them at the same time you should all have the same return time (and DAS doesn't "end" it's good until used), with the rest of your party named on one of the kids' DAS. That's important to watch because you say you have a party of 6, so if one of the DAS kids needs to sit out, anyone who received a return time on that child's DAS will not be allowed to ride. So you will have to try and judge which child is least likely to need a break.

As for the rest of the extended family - they could be named on the DAS as well, but only a max of 5 (plus DAS holder) on each; therefore again, if someone needs to sit out at the last minute that will knock out anyone who has a return time on that child's DAS.

Be aware that at least at WDW, LL waits have been reported up to 30 or even 40 minutes lately. While that is the extreme, it isn't uncommon for LL to be 15-20 minutes. I haven't watched what's going on at DLR to know if it's similar or different.
Here now at WDW. It’s at least 15 minutes per ride, and can be 30-40.
Depending on the ride and how many people return at a specific time. ROTR is at least 20, and the other night for us it was 40. TSMM was 20 minutes for us just now. I can only report on WDW, but it’s a valid warning that it could be longer than 10 minutes.

That was the case at one point, but has not worked like that for several years.
A short time after they switched from being a paper pass to digital, they allowed the additional guests to be listed on each DAS in the group. The guest(s) registered for DAS can’t be linked to another guest registered to DAS, but others can be.

Each guest registered or linked to DAS can only have one active DAS Return Time; if mom is on child 1’s DAS Return Time, she can’t be included in a DAS Return Time for child 2. Since it’s digital, the guests who are already on an active DAS Return Time are electronically unavailable to add to another.

The WDW website is clear that the person registered to DAS must on the attraction; having the DAS user scan in and the leave the line would be considered abuse.
Thank you for the clarification!

Disney is always trying to make things more complicated than they need to be.
Well... I understand where you are coming from but I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Yes, it may be more complicated to obtain DAS today than it was to request a Guest Assistance Pass 20+ years ago. However I don't exactly blame Disney as much as I blame society in general. As disabilities become more widely accepted in the general population, unfortunately unscrupulous abuse of any assistance program also increases. We all, each of us, tend to look at things from our own perspective -- what I need, what I want and what works easiest for me and my family, etc. "It would just be easier if..." Disney has to look at the program as a whole and figure out how to make it work for all those various individuals who need it, and their parties, without allowing it to become ripe for abuse. The DAS accommodation is designed for and based on one individual's needs, therefore if more than one individual in a party qualifies for DAS each should request it; the only exception I recommend is if there is absolutely no chance of the group splitting up.

Well... I understand where you are coming from but I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Yes, it may be more complicated to obtain DAS today than it was to request a Guest Assistance Pass 20+ years ago. However I don't exactly blame Disney as much as I blame society in general. As disabilities become more widely accepted in the general population, unfortunately unscrupulous abuse of any assistance program also increases. We all, each of us, tend to look at things from our own perspective -- what I need, what I want and what works easiest for me and my family, etc. "It would just be easier if..." Disney has to look at the program as a whole and figure out how to make it work for all those various individuals who need it, and their parties, without allowing it to become ripe for abuse. The DAS accommodation is designed for and based on one individual's needs, therefore if more than one individual in a party qualifies for DAS each should request it; the only exception I recommend is if there is absolutely no chance of the group splitting up.
First my comment was not intended to be solely connected to das when it comes to disney making things more complicated than need be.

Having said that, with regard to the abuse of das I couldn't agree more. It is also incredibly challenging because nothing is one size fits all. I'll illustrate that. For me, standing still in that direct sunlight can cause me to have issues (They are related to my central nervous system and I'll leave it at that). I don't know if anyone else here will relate to this but I have to repeatedly bang my feet together when sitting down to stop what is a building nerve pain sensation. Things like heat and cold (especially cold) can really exacerbate my problems. That said, even with a 20ish minute lightning lane wait - that is incredibly, incredibly helpful to me. It gets me out of the sun and keeps me moving frequently enough that I'm pretty good. I still have to have prescription patches on my feet and take things for nerve pain but it makes it very manageable. That being said, it isn't as helpful to some others where that 20ish minute lightning lane wait doesn't limit their problems.

Many of us or our loved ones have gone through or are going through some real sh*t that has changed us/them physically, mentally and emotionally. To read those stories about how others abuse this is infuriating.

I think we are going to need DAS with my son. I am not sure I am understanding the pre-register timeline. Is the earliest I can register and be able to get advance selections for our whole trip 30 days from the last park day? I always struggle with counting days. The fist day is July 31 and the last day is August 3. What date is the earliest I can register him. I will only have a short window when he will not be at camp.

I think we are going to need DAS with my son. I am not sure I am understanding the pre-register timeline. Is the earliest I can register and be able to get advance selections for our whole trip 30 days from the last park day? I always struggle with counting days. The fist day is July 31 and the last day is August 3. What date is the earliest I can register him. I will only have a short window when he will not be at camp.
Officially, WDW states "Please note that all park visits must be within 30 to 2 days of the live chat." So... people have varying reports. Some are successful at 30 days from their first park day; some need to reconnect with the chat to finish booking Advanced Selections for dates that are more than 30 days out.

To answer your specific date questions:
30 days prior to July 31st is 7/1
30 days prior to Aug. 3rd is 7/4

So your window to pre-register is between 7/1 - 7/29 (30 days up until 2 days prior to arrival). If you try on the earlier end, you run the risk of needing to reconnect via chat (without your son) to finish the Advanced Selections. If you wait longer you should be able to book Advanced Selections for all dates but may not have your first choice of times/attractions.

Officially, WDW states "Please note that all park visits must be within 30 to 2 days of the live chat." So... people have varying reports. Some are successful at 30 days from their first park day; some need to reconnect with the chat to finish booking Advanced Selections for dates that are more than 30 days out.

To answer your specific date questions:
30 days prior to July 31st is 7/1
30 days prior to Aug. 3rd is 7/4

So your window to pre-register is between 7/1 - 7/29 (30 days up until 2 days prior to arrival). If you try on the earlier end, you run the risk of needing to reconnect via chat (without your son) to finish the Advanced Selections. If you wait longer you should be able to book Advanced Selections for all dates but may not have your first choice of times/attractions.
Ahhh. Thank you! Also helpful to know I only need to have him there to qualify, not to finish the advanced selections. I have a short workable window with him present and within the timeframes.

Ahhh. Thank you! Also helpful to know I only need to have him there to qualify, not to finish the advanced selections. I have a short workable window with him present and within the timeframes.
Yes he does not need to be there for the advance selection

Registration experience - I woke up late (right at 6am CST), so didn't get logged in to MDE until 7:20 EST. There was a 0 minute wait to be connected by chat, and then a 0 minute wait to do the video interview. The same cast member then immediately helped me set up my advanced reservations. Other than a glitch with my computer allowing the video call, it was flawless and painless. I am so impressed with Disney right now.

I waited too long to register online (because I was anxious about doing it, LOL!) so when I got through today and got the DAS the advance selections were not ideal. For us, it's fine - we think of them as a special bonus gift that Disney is giving us. They don't have to do 2 advance DAS. But if you think you have to have them for your trip, register for DAS as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter