WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
THIS POST IS REGARDING WDW - Genie rolled out at Disneyland as of December 8, 2021. Link to Disneyland DAS changes thread

Genie, Genie+ and Video chats for DAS registration began at WDW on October 19, 2021
Ability to make DAS Return Times using the My Disney Experience App is also available as of October 19, 2021 with Genie

Video chats for DAS registration have begun for guests with a link to chat on the Disney World website DAS registration. Scroll down to accept terms and condition, then join chat.

Some people are reporting:
- better luck connecting using a computer rather than a mobile device
- using the Chrome browser, although some report using Safari on Mac computers worked well.
- Safari browser on iPad worked well for many people.
- IF you are using a work or school issued computer or tablet, some may be unable to connect with chat because of BLOCKED access to some websites
- IF you are using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) your computer/device may be blocked from chat by Disney’s network. My iPad has VPN and I had no issues.
- turn off or disable screensaver and keep your computer/device from falling asleep
- if you don‘t already have a My Disney Experience account, make one (or make sure the person registering for DAS is listed as Friends & Family on the account you plan to use
- you will need to be logged into the Disney Website/My Disney Experience to register for DAS and arrange DAS Advance Selections
- check ahead of time to make sure microphone and video are enabled
- make sure the person registering for DAS and all other guests you want to link to DAS are listed as Friends & Family on My Disney Experience
- everyone in your group will need to have park tickets AND park reservations before completing video DAS Registration

- Wait times have varied a LOT. Some people have reported shorter waits whrn getting on right away when it opens in the morning
- Wait times seem to be longer within 30 days of busy park times (Spring Break, Holiday weekends, etc.)
- when you log in, you will be on a text chat with a text window you type into. The majority of your time will be spent on the text chat
- during the wait, expect to have your chat connection time out approximately every 30 minutes. The screen message will say to go back or log back in. After getting back in, the text chat will connect in exactly the place it was left

WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE VIDEO CHAT:
- the person registering for DAS needs to be present for the video chat, at least to be introduced and have picture taken
- children under 18 need to be registered by a parent or legal guardian.
Guests over 18 need to register themselves (disabled adults with a guardian will be registered by their guardian)
- the usual number of guests for one DAS is 6 (5 plus the person with a disability). The CM may direct you to contact Guest Relations in a park to see if additional guests can be linked to DAS
- Guests do not need to say what their disability/condition is or provide proof of disability (some people with the same condition have very different need and some may not need DAS
- expect to be asked a question similar to ‘What are your concerns with waiting in lines?’ Or ‘What issues do you Experience when waiting lines?’
Guests whose only concerns/issues are mobility related are not eligible for DAS since all attractions are wheelchair accessible
- after the CM approves DAS, a picture will be taken of the DAS user, the CM will explain how DAS works and answer any questions, then turn the chat over to the CM who makes DAS Advance Selections with you.
- DAS Advance Selections chat is a text chat, using the same text chat window as you started the process with. The wait for that chat is usually short - longest I’ve heard was 15 minutes wait

These are links to the Disney website page about changes to DAS.
Disney website updated DAS information
Disney DAS FAQs

Link to Disney Genie info
Disney Blog announcing Disney Genie

Link to wdwinfo Genie/Genie+ info
DIS/wdwinfo Genie /Genie+ details

DAS will still exist pretty much in the same form as previously.
You register for DAS and then can get one DAS Return Time at a time at the park (time based on the current Standby Wait time). DAS Return Times remain active until used, cancelled or the attraction/park closes for the day.

The changes include:
- guests can register for DAS 2-30 days ahead of time by video chat. Access for video chat is from a link in the Disability Access Service area Disney website
- guests who registered ahead of time by video chat can also make 2 DAS Advance selections during the video chat registration process.
- DAS Return Times can be made/deleted or modified in person at attractions, at the blue Guest Experience umbrellas or on the new GENIE part of the My Disney Experience App

DAS Advance Selections and DAS Return Times are 2 different and SEPARATE things.
DAS Advance selections:
- can be selected when guests register for DAS using live DAS chat registration 2-30 days before the visit
- up to 2 DAS Advance selections can be made; the website says ‘if available’. It is possible that specific attractions are available or only certain times, or both.

For the DAS Advance Selection Chat BE PREPARED with
- a list of your park reservation days
- 2 choices for each day (plus an alternate in case those choices are not available)
- general times (morning, afternoon or evening)
- a list of Dining ADRs or any additional experiences booked, so the CM can try to work around them
- the CM will ask you to check the DAS Advance Selections in My Disney Experience for attraction, time and other guests included

- DAS Advance Selections do not include the attractions listed as Individual Lightning Lane (ILL) attractions OR the ILL attractions that have temporarily moved from ILL to Genie+
Link to WDW page listing DAS Advance Selection attractions

- DAS Advance selections will start at a specific time and have a 1 hour window of time to be used. Some guests have found they disappeared after an hour; others found they were still listed in the app. IF it’s still listed, you should still be able to use it, even after the hour
- Guests CAN’T make DAS Advance Selections on the day of visit OR IF registering for DAS at one of the Theme Parks
- Guests don’t need to use their DAS Advance Selections before they get or use a DAS Return Time

DAS Return Times
- are separate from DAS Advance selections; guests can make a DAS Return Time without using DAS Advance Selections
- for people familiar with how DAS worked, they work the same way as DAS Return Times worked previously
- Guests using DAS obtain DAS Return Times the day of visit at a park
- DAS Return Time can be made by the DAS user or any other member of their party linked to DAS
- DAS user and all guests linked to DAS need to have entered the park to make/be included on a DAS Return Time
- DAS Return Times can be made at the individual attraction the guest wants to experience, using the Genie app, at Guest Services locations (umbrellas or roving Cast Members
- the guest registered to DAS must go on the attraction to use the DAS Return Time. DAS can’t be used on attractions the DAS user is not going on
- can have only 1 active DAS Return Time at a time
- DAS Return Time is based on the current wait in the Standby (regular) line
- DAS Return Time doesn’t expire. A guest can enter the attraction any time after the Return Time begins
- DAS Return Time is active until it’s used, cancelled or until the park closes
- Once DAS Return Time has been used or cancelled, another DAS Return Time can be made

The 3 major changes to DAS:
- REGISTRATION
Guests can choose to register for DAS in a live video registration 2 - 30 days before their visit OR register at Guest Relations at a Theme Park (the previous only way to register). Live video will be accessed by link on the Disability Access Service section of the Disney website.
Link to DAS Video Registration page

- DAS ADVANCE SELECTIONS
Guests registering by live video registration are able to make DAS Advance selections in the time window of 2-30 days before their park trip. These are separate from DAS Return Times.
If you have already completed video registration for DAS and need to make or change your DAS Advance Selections, there is a separate link for doing this.
DAS Advance Selections must be in the 2-30 days window before the park visit according to the WDW website, but some people have reported being able to make them for their entire trip when the trip extends past the window
Link to WDW DAS Advance Selections Planning page

Guests registering for DAS in the parks are not eligible for DAS Advance Selections

- MAKING DAS RETURN TIMES
Guests registered for DAS or a member of their party will be able to make DAS Return Times using the My Disney Experience app OR by going to the attraction visiting or Guest Experience locations.
Abililty to make and manage DAS Return Times using My Disney Experience app has rolled out as of October 19, 2021

DAS Return Times can be made for:
- attractions on the Genie+ list of attractions
- Individual Lightning Lane attractions that have a Standby wait.

Attractions using Virtual Queue/Boarding Group:
As of January 10, 2022, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure NO LONGER USED Virtual Queue. It has a Standby Wait line OR guests can purchase Individual Lightning Lane/Genie + (depending on which is being used currently). Guests using DAS are able to get a DAS Return Time, based on the Standby Wait, the same as any other attraction.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind opened May 27, 2022 and is using Virtual Queue
To ride and attraction using a virtual queue:
- ALL guests must get a virtual queue spot from a link in the My Disney Experience.
- limited numbers of Virtual queue spots are available without going into a park starting at 7am and again at 1pm for guests who have entered the park.
- Cosmic Rewind has an additional Virtual Queue opening at 6pm for guests in Deluxe Resorts (includes Disney Vacation Club). Guests do not need to be in park to sign up for 6pm Virtual Queue
- the Virtual queue will show up on Today’s Plan in My Disney Experience with a Boarding Group number with an estimated Boarding Time
- Boarding Group time may be many hours in the future and will probably change as the day goes on (maybe earlier, maybe later, so do keep watching)
- when their Boarding Group is called, guests using DAS contact the CM at the attraction entrance instead of getting into wait Queue. A CM will verify the DAS, the members linked to DAS and the Boarding Group then the group will be sent to the Lightning Lane for entry with a short wait.

GENIE AND GENIE+
Guests using DAS can use the free features of Genie or PAY FOR the optional GENIE + and Individual Lightning Lane
0BED2D91-F5D0-4550-B83F-0B1DBE4464B8.jpeg

22F8627B-FD30-49B0-9CFE-3E2DF19BA30C.jpeg

Tile for DAS will show up on My Disney Experience app AFTER the person registered for DAS has tapped in to the park.
To make a DAS Return Time on the app, log in, then tap the 3 lines in the bottom menu button.
C011C408-35F3-4621-A99A-DE8CFCF59DF3.jpeg

That will open a screen of tiles for different functions/services. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the DAS tile .

1EDBA221-D904-484E-B903-B5123225E296.jpeg
Tapping the DAS tile will open a list of attractions available for DAS, along with the current wait times. tap the one you want.
NOTE: the eligible attractions for ALL parks will show up here, in alphabetical order by their full name, so you may be looking for ‘Winnie the Pooh’ but the actual name is ‘The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh’

Besides the DAS tile list, you can also tap on attractions on the map or get an attraction list from the map to make your DAS Return Time
B7766DC3-57C7-445D-A2EE-A6B02F3A1BBA.jpeg

A list of people will open, with the guest registered to DAS on their own line and the other guests linked to DAS below. Tap SELECT ALL or tap each guest to be included in the DAS Return Time.
If more than one guest is registered to DAS, they would be listed at the top under Registered Guest, with the Guests Joining all listed below.
If both DAS 1 & 2 wanted to go on the same attraction, you would choose both of them and choose ‘Select All’ to choose the rest of the guests to include.
If DAS 1 wanted to go on something DAS 2 didn’t, you would choose DAS 1 for a DAS Return Time, then choose the Guests Joining.
DAS 2 could choose a DAS Return Time for themself, then choose any of the Guests Joining who are not already on DAS 1’s Return Time.
6CFF9781-8E9A-42CD-8214-72CBF14E4040.jpeg

The next screen will open to show your choice. Tapping CONFIRM will set your choice. You can cancel or edit by tapping the BACK arrow on the top left of the screen.

823DADAA-5A33-4081-AC30-AFC0F65D9B0F.jpeg

A new screen shows up after you confirm your choice. IT’S very important to continue on to confirm - it looks like you are done after the screen before that, but it doesn’t register until you confirm.
You will also be able to see the DAS Return Time in the Today‘s Plan/View My Day section. I suggest taking a screen shot in case there are any issues.

8140ADE9-99E8-4A35-AAB7-5FFCD2C6D685.jpeg

USING THE DAS RETURN TIME
- any time after the Return Time, you can go to the LIGHTNING LANE entrance at the attraction
- the guest registered for DAS scans their Magicband or ticket first - for a child or some who can’t scan themselves, someone else can scan their ticket/Magicband for them
- the Mickey head on the scanner will glow blue, alerting the CM to look at a message on the screen. The CM will check the photo of the DAS user on the screen against the person entering, then clear the blue **
- once the blue has been cleared, the rest of your group can scan in
- there MAY be a second scan point; anyone in your group can scan first at that point. It doesn’t have to be the DAS user. There isn’t a conclusive list of attractions with second scans - my family has found the same attraction may be using or not using the second scan on different days.
- After passing the second scan, you can make another DAS Return Time; my family has found that may not be possible because of spotty wifi inside buildings.

NOTE: if someone missed scanning into the ride or the second scan, you won’t be able to make another DAS Return Time until they scan or cancel the Return Time.

** some other reasons for Mickey Head to glow blue include arriving too early or late for Genie+ or ILL, scanning into the wrong attraction

Last edited:
I'm still a little confused and I have issues with video chatting so I'll probably just renew in person. I don't mind change and being able to get a return time without waiting in a line will be nice (at least if I am reading that correctly).

I'm still a little confused and I have issues with video chatting so I'll probably just renew in person. I don't mind change and being able to get a return time without waiting in a line will be nice (at least if I am reading that correctly).
Yes on both points.
Guests can register either ahead of time on a video chat or in person according to the website information.
If you want to do the video chat, but have someone else speak for you, that’s another option; you just have to be present.

And the website information says guests using DAS will be able to arrange DAS Return Times from the app in addition to going to the attraction.

The whole Genie thing sounds confusing

In some ways, it's kind of like MaxPass (from DL) rebranded into a new experience.

So, think of it like they re-named FP+ and started charging for parts of it.

The changes to DAS also (in the end) probably won't be that different either, other than DAS holders will be able to use the App on their phone, instead of going to the attraction to get a wait time.

They are charging $15 a day per person for partial FP access (charging an additional fee for E-ticket rides!) so I'm guessing there will be more requests for DAS, and the DAS waits will be longer (ie, there will be a lot more people in the old FP queues)

They are charging $15 a day per person for partial FP access (charging an additional fee for E-ticket rides!) so I'm guessing there will be more requests for DAS, and the DAS waits will be longer (ie, there will be a lot more people in the old FP queues)
This is what I am afraid of. A lot of the abuse went away when DAS changed to a sort of virtual queue, but I fear the abuse will return with large groups. I wish the FP system had remained free with an optional tiering for the most popular ride in the park or something . IMO, that people will think DAS is a 'free FP' (even though it isn't) and get one for 6 ppl . As is is, we usually don't ride more than 3 rides or so in a day. I'm not able to do a full day and the old FP+ made it where I rarely even needed my DAS. I don't have a clue what they can do to make it easier or less open to abuse, but I do think it will negatively impact those of us who need it to get through a day.

This trip was the first time that I had a DAS, and it made such a difference for me. We can't afford the extra money to get lightning access, and I found I could handle a queue that was 20 minutes or less without DAS, but anything longer started to trigger my issues. I'm glad we went when we did, as I have no idea how our next trip will look now. I'm hoping they will let me renew the DAS. Holding my breath until October, when the new policies start up.

This is what I am afraid of. A lot of the abuse went away when DAS changed to a sort of virtual queue, but I fear the abuse will return with large groups. I wish the FP system had remained free with an optional tiering for the most popular ride in the park or something . IMO, that people will think DAS is a 'free FP' (even though it isn't) and get one for 6 ppl . As is is, we usually don't ride more than 3 rides or so in a day. I'm not able to do a full day and the old FP+ made it where I rarely even needed my DAS. I don't have a clue what they can do to make it easier or less open to abuse, but I do think it will negatively impact those of us who need it to get through a day.
They are publicizing pretty severe penalties for lying or abuse. This is a screenshot from information right on the Disney website DAS FAQs page. I’m pretty sure it will be covered when registering for DAS, along with probably having the guest sign something that attests they gave true answers.
362D2C5D-7A4F-4773-AE8A-F57170100E85.jpeg

This is a screenshot of the DAS card that was replaced by a digital version of DAS. Both the card and digital version of DAS had guests sign the statement as part of the DAS registration process.
I don’t know whether anyone was banned and got their passes forfeited for lying in the past, but those statements could be used to do it if someone did fraudulently apply for or use DAS. It’s just that now they are making the possible penalties clear on the page about DAS.

827E80EC-65E0-46B6-B922-22D09C2FBBE9.jpeg

The DAS information is talking about 2 different and SEPARATE things.
DAS Advance selections:
- can be selected when guests register for DAS using live video chat registration 2-30 days before the visit
- up to 2 DAS Advance selections can be made; the website says ‘if available’. The meaning has not been specified; it could be specific attractions are available or only certain times, or both
- DAS Advance selections will start at a specific time and have a 1 hour window of time to be used.
- Guests can’t make DAS Advance on the day of visit or if registering for DAS at one of the Theme Parks

DAS Return Times
- are separate from DAS Advance selections
- work the same way as previously
- Guests using DAS obtain DAS Return Times the day of visit at a park; the Return Time can be made by the DAS user or any other member of their party linked to DAS
- Guests using DAS can have only 1 active DAS Return Time at a time
- DAS Return Time is based on the current wait in the Standby (regular) line
- DAS Return Time doesn’t expire. A guest can enter the attraction any time after the Return Time begins
- Return Time is active until it’s used, cancelled or until the park closes
- Once DAS Return Time has been used or cancelled, another DAS Return Time csn be made

The 3 major changes to DAS:
- REGISTRATION
Guests can choose to register for DAS in a live video registration 2 - 30 days before their visit OR register at Guest Relations at a Theme Park (the previous only way to register)
- DAS ADVANCE SELECTIONS
Guests registering by live video registration are able to make DAS Advance selections, which are separate from DAS Return Times.
Guests registering for DAS in the parks are not eligible for DAS Advance Selections
- MAKING DAS RETURN TIMES
Guests registered for DAS or a member of their party will be able to make DAS Return Times using the My Disney Experience app OR by going to the attraction visiting in park kiosks or Guest Experience locations (the previous way)

One thing that seems to be confusing people is that there are/will now be 2 separate ways people registered for DAS may be accessing a time to come to an attraction.
DAS Advance selections have a 1 hour window to use.
DAS Return Times are the same as previously; based on the current wait time for the attraction and don’t have an expiration time.

What it says about DAS Advance selections:
“During the DAS Advance video conference, [to register for DAS] Guests will be able to select and book up to 2 DAS Advance selections for each day of their visit (subject to availability).
If a selection is available, the Guest will be given a one-hour time period during the day of the visit to redeem the selection. Selections are valid for use only on the date and during the one-hour time period chosen and cannot be transferred. Guests who do not pre-register for DAS will not be eligible to receive the DAS Advance selections.

What it says about DAS Return Times:
“Does a Guest utilizing DAS have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
No. DAS return times are not limited to a specific window and are valid until the park closes.”
“Please keep in mind that DAS return times are valid until the park closes or an attraction closes for the day. And a party can only hold one active DAS return time at once.”

Huh. I wonder how that will work with the AP's , the advanced thing I mean. I will probably just forgo that option anyway because, frankly, just being able to get a return time from my phone will be a nice change.

Huh. I wonder how that will work with the AP's , the advanced thing I mean. I will probably just forgo that option anyway because, frankly, just being able to get a return time from my phone will be a nice change.
Don’t know for sure, but I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work the same with an AP.
At least, at this time, guests need to make park reservation. I don’t think that is going away, at least not for the foreseeable future.
A guest with a park reservation with an AP, shouldn’t ‘look’ any different for DAS registration than any other guest.

Have not been to DHS since Rise opened but my understanding is NO DAS unless you have a Boarding Pass, assume this will be the same with REMY.

Question: What will happen with IAS paid pass lines? Will DAS be available there since there is SB?

Has this been addressed yet?

Will rides using the Lightning Lane (but not boarding passes) be eligible to get return times for?

I'm thinking specifically about Radiator Springs Racers. I think we can expect this one to be a LL attraction, but it's my autistic sons absolute "must do" ride. Will we have to pay for it now, or will we be able to get a DAS return time?

Have not been to DHS since Rise opened but my understanding is NO DAS unless you have a Boarding Pass, assume this will be the same with REMY.

So, yes, in order to use DAS along with Boarding Group rides, you have to have a BG number. Once it's called, you let the CMs at the Fastpass entrance know you have a DAS and show your BG and they let you in that way. You used to have to visit the kiosks once your BG was called to get them to issue a return time (which would be immediate), but they did away with that extra step on July 1. This is specific to Disneyland.

Will rides using the Lightning Lane (but not boarding passes) be eligible to get return times for?

I'm thinking specifically about Radiator Springs Racers. I think we can expect this one to be a LL attraction, but it's my autistic sons absolute "must do" ride. Will we have to pay for it now, or will we be able to get a DAS return time?

Getting the normal return time should not be any different than in the past on the day of your visit as that is based on the SB wait time anyway.

What we don’t know is if they will allow people to preselect these attractions ahead of time. My feeling is they won’t be an option and only be available as a day of like always.

screenshots of the ‘Experiences TIP BOARD part of Disney Genie showed both waits in the Standby line and what time immediate entry will be using Lightning Lane with Genie +
So, getting DAS Return looks like it will be available for those attractions - that makes sense, since they are available for guests waiting in the Standby line.

B92AE1BF-5D19-4CCC-8EAF-C9B878784F6F.jpeg
E4D891AF-2BB7-4789-835A-E9D5167C791D.jpeg
So, yes, in order to use DAS along with Boarding Group rides, you have to have a BG number. Once it's called, you let the CMs at the Fastpass entrance know you have a DAS and show your BG and they let you in that way. You used to have to visit the kiosks once your BG was called to get them to issue a return time (which would be immediate), but they did away with that extra step on July 1. This is specific to Disneyland.
It’s in both the WDW and DL DAS information.
This is a screenshot of the part of the new DAS FAQs about it

488DA132-C99D-4C3F-9A27-39B591FEFACE.jpeg

screenshots of the ‘Experiences TIP BOARD part of Disney Genie showed both waits in the Standby line and what time immediate entry will be using Lightning Lane with Genie +
So, getting DAS Return looks like it will be available for those attractions - that makes sense, since they are available for guests waiting in the Standby line.

View attachment 598978
View attachment 598979

It’s in both the WDW and DL DAS information.
This is a screenshot of the part of the new DAS FAQs about it

View attachment 598992

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about rides included with Genie+. I was talking about the ones you will have to pay per ride for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter