Must DH wear suit to a wedding

My husband and I have a wedding to attend next month. He doesn't have a suit to wear. At our age (72) he has no real need to spend the money on a suit. Would it be ok to just wear a dress shirt with tie and dress pants. The wedding and reception are being held at an aquarium.
Now that this is reawakened I wonder how it went? Do tell

Now that this is reawakened I wonder how it went? Do tell

I am curious too. Going to a wedding this weekend. And my Dad is 88 and gave up suits about 30 years ago. He does not have one that fits. He has nice khakis, dress shirt (maybe a tie) and a sport coat that he will be wearing. There was no way we were buying a suit for 1 wedding. And knowing the bride and her family (cousins), I really doubt they will care.

I am curious too. Going to a wedding this weekend. And my Dad is 88 and gave up suits about 30 years ago. He does not have one that fits. He has nice khakis, dress shirt (maybe a tie) and a sport coat that he will be wearing. There was no way we were buying a suit for 1 wedding. And knowing the bride and her family (cousins), I really doubt they will care.

He‘s 88 and earned the right to show up in khakis and a dress shirt. The couple is blessed to have him present and celebrating their big day.

Heck, I see plenty wedding pictures online where the GROOM is dressed more casually than dress pants, shirt, and tie. Bride in $5K ball gown, tiara, and professional makeup; groom in cargo shorts and flip-flops.

My rule of thumb is, if there's no dress code specified, wear what you'd wear to church on Easter Sunday.

Just to update, he wore a sport jacket and dress pants. My next question is my nephew is getting married in Sept. The reception is in a back yard. What type of dress should I wear? I am thinking it is right before labor day and a summer dress should work.
Yes a summer dress would be just fine for that.

Am I the only one who has never been to a black tie wedding? I just don't run in "fancy" circles, so none of the people I would attend a wedding for goes all out like that.

Reactions: NAB
I wouldn't attend a black tie wedding, unless it was one of my kids... I doubt they would have one of those types of weddings, because... well, they are my kids. I cannot stand getting dressed up, it's not my thing at all. It is interesting how some people really love it, and some really despise it.

Just to update, he wore a sport jacket and dress pants. My next question is my nephew is getting married in Sept. The reception is in a back yard. What type of dress should I wear? I am thinking it is right before labor day and a summer dress should work.
Great choices!

With outdoor events the shoes are always the biggest wild card. Will they have flooring or just grass, muddy or dry, buggy or sprayed? Mosquito bites all over the feet is not fun, I'd have backup options in the car.

My next question is my nephew is getting married in Sept. The reception is in a back yard. What type of dress should I wear? I am thinking it is right before labor day and a summer dress should work.

Any type of outdoor/backyard wedding reception always implies more casual clothes to me. I would wear whatever you like considering in some parts of the country it can be cooler in September so dressing for the expected weather would matter more then what type of fancy dress you might wear. I agree with some prior posters that unless the invitation specifies the type of attire (i.e. black tie) which is unlikely for any backyard reception, then you can wear whatever you want. No one is going to be guarding the front door to pass judgment on your attire to decide if they will let you in!

I wouldn't attend a black tie wedding, unless it was one of my kids... I doubt they would have one of those types of weddings, because... well, they are my kids. I cannot stand getting dressed up, it's not my thing at all. It is interesting how some people really love it, and some really despise it.
I hate getting dressed up as well. I haven't been to a wedding in years (haven't known anyone getting married really). Where I live, no one seems to care what people wear to funerals. (or at least the funerals I have attended). I generally wear black dress pants, a dressier shirt and black flats to those. I can't think of any reason to get dressed up other than those. We don't go to fancy restaurants.

I think what is expected probably still has a lot to do with where you live. In our area a jacket would still probably be expected, at least during the ceremony.

I think it would be perfectly normal for your husband to wear a shirt and tie, and snacks to a wedding. The important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in what you wear. Plus, given that the wedding venue is a fishbowl, it gives the event a more casual and unique feel. If it looks neat and presentable, I'm sure it will blend in with the setting. And if you're still in doubt about your choice, you can check out https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/wedding-tuxedos/ for a huge variety of wedding suits your husband will look amazing in. Enjoy your wedding and have a great time.

Last edited:
I think it would be perfectly normal for your husband to wear a shirt and tie, and slacks to a wedding. The important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in what you wear. Plus, given that the wedding venue is a fishbowl, it gives the event a more casual and unique feel. If it looks neat and presentable, I'm sure it will blend in with the setting.
Do know, @L_E_T_U_T_T_I, the wedding was actually 9 months ago. However, in any case, welcome to the dis.

(Note: I realize the original event in question is in the past, but we are entering prime wedding season, so it seems like a good topic to discuss.)

I think asking the person who invited you is fine, but do it early. My bridezilla moment came when in the 48 hours before my wedding, I started getting phone calls and texts asking me for info that was not only on the invite, but also on the website I had created just for guest’s convenience. At the rehearsal dinner, I told my sisters/ bridesmaids that I didn’t want to get any phone calls that night unless someone was sick or there was an emergency. (Most of my guests were family, and they were the ones who didn’t bother to read.)

As far as dress code, my wedding was nice but not fancy. However, I was dismayed when my stepmom said she was going to get the kids (my nieces and nephews) matching U of F t-shirts to wear. Umm, go Gators, but since neither my spouse nor I attended U of F, I thought that a bit weird and inappropriate. And unless the wedding is ON the beach, your outfit probably shouldn’t be on par with something worn at the beach, or to wash the dog. (Luckily, my siblings stepped in, and the kids all looked great in khakis and short sleeve button downs/ dresses, etc. I didn’t want super fancy, but was hoping for maybe the equivalent of school picture day, and was not disappointed since my siblings recognized that my wedding was not a football game!)

Now, I HAVE been to a wedding where everyone wore shorts and it was fine. It was a picnic and we had barbecue take out, so it was definitely a casual event. It was my uncle’s second marriage and I was just a child, so I don’t know what the invitations indicated, but I’m pretty sure that everyone knew it was going to be super casual. (The bride and groom may have been injeans?)

I think when in doubt, it’s better to err on the side of too dressy than too casual, as long as you don’t have a medical condition that makes dressing up unwise for some reason. The trick, I think, is to find clothes that LOOK dressy but feel comfortable.

Re the backyard wedding, are there any indications re fanciness level? Some ritzy people get those fancy white tents, etc. Or it could be a slightly nicer version of a cookout. I definitely agree with the previous posters … be careful re your shoe choice!

I do not understand the aversion some have to getting gussied up for a special occasion. Thankfully at least one of my multifaceted "personalities" enjoys it 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter