• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must DH wear suit to a wedding

This. My ex-husband and I had a medieval themed wedding. Custom-made costumes for everyone in the wedding party, including the horses we rode in on. Historically accurate foods. Wandering minstrels. A red dragon ice sculpture. Hay bale seating. We encouraged everyone to dress according to the theme. Even my grandparents, very conservative traditionalists then in their 70s, put together fun outfits that looked fantastic and blended well. Some people went all-out, some less so, but nobody showed up in a suit. To me, that would have been highly disrespectful. Don't want to costume, fine. But don't stick to some antiquated idea of what a wedding "should" be when the bridal couple has made it crystal clear that theirs isn't that.

To the OP, I think the outfit you've described is perfectly fine unless the invitation says black tie.
That sounds like more fun that most weddings!

The OP did not say if the invitation specified any particular dress code, only where the wedding was taking place. I know most people of that generation would probably default to thinking a suit is necessary, and that is why it is being questioned.

If no dress code was specified, then I think that what the OP mentioned is fine to wear. It will be obvious that they are making the attempt to dress up for a special occasion.

If a dress code is mentioned, then I agree that taking one step down is acceptable.

OP, do you know anyone he could borrow a suit from? Paying to have it cleaned afterwards would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one for only one event.
No, there is no one to borrow a suit from, nor would he ask if there was

My husband and I have a wedding to attend next month. He doesn't have a suit to wear. At our age (72) he has no real need to spend the money on a suit. Would it be ok to just wear a dress shirt with tie and dress pants. The wedding and reception are being held at an aquarium.
For Sure. Unless it says black tie on the invite I wouldn't worry about it.

In my city, no one would wear a suit to a wedding unless he were a member of the wedding party.
If I were worried about being more formal, I would have my husband wear black dress pants, white dress shirt, black shoes and socks, and a tie with a bit of color. He could add cuff links and a tie clip to be more spiffy.

Ok a 6:30 wedding is more formal, NY is a big state, anywhere in wedding driving distance to me would be suit (nyc, LI, Hudson valley).

I think it’s fine.

Last summer, we attended the wedding of DH’s brother. The most casually dressed person in jeans was the person with the most money. Like started at Microsoft in it’s infancy and received stock options type of money.

I think it’s fine.

Last summer, we attended the wedding of DH’s brother. The most casually dressed person in jeans was the person with the most money. Like started at Microsoft in it’s infancy and received stock options type of money.
The size of someone's stock polio doesn't make them fashionable or appropriately dressed.

OP...It may or may not matter to the bride or groom what your husband wears. If in doubt ask for clarification regarding what is suitable.

I didn't read the whole thread, but recently I was invited to a wedding and wondered about the dress code. So I talked with the person who invited me, and found out what was OK to wear. I think it should be as simple as that. Why worry about it, when you can just ask them?

What the heck are people saying?

No, no, no. A grown man wears a suit to a wedding. Wool, cotton, linen, silk, or tweed depending on the setting and the weather.
Weddings are typically indoors and you wouldn't like the indoor environment needed for me to wear a thick heavy jacket indoors. Everyone would freeze.

I've never owned a suit. I've only owned 1 sport jacket I wore to interview for my job. I would be a soaking wretched mess in a suit and no one would want me at their wedding, nor would I want to go to your wedding if you're going to judge me by the way I'm dressed.

Caught by an old bumped thread...

How did we get to shorts & T-shirts at a wedding? Yes, that's what I'd wear going to eat at Chili's. Slacks and a dress shirt (even without a tie/blazer) IS completely respectful to wear as a guest to a wedding (if no dress code is specified).
Oh, I’ve seen people in jeans, shorts and t-shirts at weddings. It’s not appropriate IMHO. That said, unless there is a dress code mentioned I think a shirt and tie is fine. I think you want to show that you’ve made some effort for a special occasion. It is a sign of respect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter