Must DH wear suit to a wedding

mrsstats79

Mouseketeer
My husband and I have a wedding to attend next month. He doesn't have a suit to wear. At our age (72) he has no real need to spend the money on a suit. Would it be ok to just wear a dress shirt with tie and dress pants. The wedding and reception are being held at an aquarium.

How about adding a blazer? Probably find one for $70-80 at Kohls or Penneys. A navy one over khaki pants for summer or gray pants for winter always looks classy.

Agree. You might also find something at a local thrift or consignment store. But a dress shirt and tie should be fine, especially since the jackets get taken off at the reception anyway.

I think that is fine too half the time here the guys have the jackets off after dinner anyway…lol

I would not go buy anything for one wedding. Not as if he is going in old clothes what you mention is dressing up.

I'm 52 and have never even owned a suit. My minimum (unless otherwise specified) for a wedding would be slacks and a button down long sleeve shirt. I could add a tie and/or sport coat if I feel it necessary.

We attended a black tie optional wedding back in May. It was super hot, so my husband put his foot down and would not wear his suit. He said he’d stay out of the pictures and it wasn’t his family anyhow…(it was my cousins wedding).

I was nervous, but he was definitely not the only one in only a dress shirt and tie. Someone even only had a short sleeve shirt with no tie.

So no, I don’t think you need to buy a suit.

We attended a black tie optional wedding back in May. It was super hot, so my husband put his foot down and would not wear his suit. He said he’d stay out of the pictures and it wasn’t his family anyhow…(it was my cousins wedding).

I was nervous, but he was definitely not the only one in only a dress shirt and tie. Someone even only had a short sleeve shirt with no tie.

So no, I don’t think you need to buy a suit.
"Other people also dressed like slobs" is not an excuse to dress like a slob.

Times have changed. Some people don't even wear dress pants and a dress shirt to weddings. It's non-traditional, but these are non-traditional times....lol.
Sigh. My son wears suits to weddings and he's two years old.

Dress pants, shirt and tie is not a slob. But whatever.
If the invitation says "black tie optional," it means suit at a minimum. You can take one step down from a stated "optional" dress code, but never two.

This is a tough one. I'd hate to dress down and then the other guys are all in suits.

I don't equate "formal" with jeans unless this is a Canadian wedding. (Sorry Canada, I couldn't resist.)

He could always rent a suit.

Some people will tell you, "Just go to the mortician's, they always have a few spare suits laying around." Or, "Get one of those 'trendy' goth outfits from Spirit Halloween, nobody will notice." Don't do any of those things! But if you, please share the photos with us.

If the invitation says "black tie optional," it means suit at a minimum. You can take one step down from a stated "optional" dress code, but never two.
The OP did not say if the invitation specified any particular dress code, only where the wedding was taking place. I know most people of that generation would probably default to thinking a suit is necessary, and that is why it is being questioned.

If no dress code was specified, then I think that what the OP mentioned is fine to wear. It will be obvious that they are making the attempt to dress up for a special occasion.

If a dress code is mentioned, then I agree that taking one step down is acceptable.

OP, do you know anyone he could borrow a suit from? Paying to have it cleaned afterwards would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one for only one event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter