The Fixer and The Cookmaster:major pixie dust*IT'S FINISHED*EPILOGUE UP!!#389

Hey Jami!

I've been neglecting rule # 2.445.6 1/2 - and I'm very sorry for not posting sooner on your TR!

I haven't read yet......and since I knew it was coming to and end I thought I'd read from start to finish. All in one!

I printed it off for nighttime reading this evening!

And will comment tomorrow!

Thanks!

:love: What a fabulous trip report!!

Can't wait to read :surfweb: the epilogue but I will have to wait until my trip is over!

WHY? Cause our van is packed! We are leaving at approximately 5:00 am. :cloud9: Just 7 short hours from now. I better go take a nap.

Jami send me some Pixie Dust :wizard: to shoo Ernesto out to sea with!

JamiJamiJami ...

Your boy is sooo adorable with the missing teeth. I love that look! It's an important rite of passage. The mickey confettis are great, too. Shrek is a good sport. (so far!!)

I am said to see your report end. But it's not over till it's over, and since you have announced an upcoming epilogue, I'll try to hold it together.

You bighearted southern girl you. :cloud9: What a wonderful tale you weave for us.

Jami MeanestMaMamaelstrommerbuddyolpal great report, we are blessed to ahve such great friends like you to share their reports with us, and by doing so we get to share in the pixie dust of your wake!

Thanks bunches!

:thumbsup2

AmyKitty ;) , Jennifer, MyGrammy :love: , Beana, Mic-n-Min, SHERI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: , TwinkieMamaYum, Kimmie, Rockin'Java Mama :badpc: , thank you so much. It is so affirming to read your kind words.

YAK, I hope you were able to sleep after all that dreadful drivel. :surfweb:

Dreamer and Wisher........Woo Hooty for you!! But you won't see this because YOU ARE IN DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!! :yay: :yay:

I have a consult with The HairMaster Tuesday. I must tell him of your high expectations. I may have to bring him to the meet. I gave him a Mickey 'diamond' earring when I lost its mate and he wears it all the time. OK, maybe TFI.

I'll work on the epilogue later today. I had a miniepilogue experience yesterday. It was tooo BORG for me not to share.
The Pirate Mickey ears in the picture? The ones E searched and fretted over purchasing???? Well, yesterday we were cleaning out his closet and rearranging his room (his fave hobby). Going through the costume drawer (pit), we saw the Pirate Mickey ears.

He said: what do you think?
Me; well, do you want them?
E: You can have them (I put them on).
Me: Thanks. Maybe I'll be a pirate for Halloween.
E: or maybe I should save them in case to wear when we maybe go back to disney.
Me: Good idea. Let's keep them.

Irony, pure and simple.

Thanks, people.
Jami

Jami, I can't believe it's almost done. There's a lot more I want to say but I think I'll save it for the end. Except for this. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to "know" your family, Woman. Your boys remind me so much of my little man.

And this....

I took a deep breath and went in. I finally got him to the new pirate area, where I was sure we’d have a quick sale. When, when will I learn that NOTHING is quick with this kid? My sweet boy wants it all and is not in any sort of hurry whatsoever. He had a tight budget, too (no life size monorail!!) which made him all the more cantankerous. For the love of all that is fun and right about childhood, it’s ALL fun!! It’s ALL temporary!!!!!! It’s all….GOING TO FESTER IN THE BACK OF YOUR CLOSET!!!!!!!!!

I recognize. I recognize it well because my son is exactly the same. He'll spend ten minutes in Wal Mart trying to decide between the Anakin Skywalker action figure or whether he should get yet another Power Ranger. They have to make the most of their money. That's a very big decision. But you know, something tells me we need to hold on tightly to the days when which toy to pick is the hardest decision they'll face that week.

Sigh.

Okay. Now I'm ready to cry. Bring on the epilogue....

LaLa, You are leaky and there's no two ways about it. I cannot be sentimental about Power Rangers while I have a twelve year old in the house! I'd rather cry about the blankie the six year old still carries, the way I still get to read to DS12 every night, and the fact that we don't know when we'll get back to The World.

That sad, thanks for reading cause I know you know we are more BORG than they know.

What a wonderful trip report. It makes me remember why we all love Disney so much and why we can't wait to go back. Thank you for posting. :wizard:

First, Mcgrawfan, I love your pic!! Thanks, too, for reading and remarking.

Now, on to the promised, bittersweet (for ME!) Epilogue:

THE EPILOGUE….

So now you know more about my family than I know about yours. I loved sharing our story because of the reminders I need about the people in this house. I’m not gonna try to answer the why-don’t-we-treat-each-other-that-well-everyday question here. Suffice it to say we absolutely love each other and are at our closest when we are on Walt’s 47 square miles.

Our plane landed about midnight and we hurried home. Shrek and I might have had pits in our stomachs as we had big church responsibilities the next morning. Strangely, we did not. We were looking forward to seeing the kids we teach and the adults in our church family. We reveled in the escape but were OK to return to familiarity.

I have one more sidebar from our Disney trip. It’s about our A.

He’s a good boy, if a bit young for his age. Truth be told (and WHY NOT tell the truth??), we are glad he is young. Like so many parents, we want to freeze him at this age. We usually lean towards the What’s The Rush tendency in parenting and are grateful our oldest has made that easy for us.

He loves Disney. I’ve told you he wants to work for The Mouse someday. He even asks if we will be OK if he moves to Florida. Yeah, I’ll visit—a lot—but be sooo happy for ya baby. The little flea counted his money all week to carefully balance his souvenir load.

The day we had the meet-and-greet in The Castle, we waited a few minutes in that Royal shoppe. DS12 eyeballed and fawned all over the Goofy statue. Mr. Goofy costs $150 IN DISNEY DOLLARS. DS did not have that kind of change, but I talked him through several ways he might work it out. I told him, for instance, his grandparents had asked me to let him choose a birthday gift on the trip. He knew Goofy would be more than they had sent, but I offered it as a partial gift. We also discussed Goofy instead of the planned sleepover party (we do a gift OR a party for our kids…not both…they can choose) or an advance on his allowance. I also reminded him we MIGHT be back in Disney World one day if he wanted to save.

We talked until it was time for the meet-and-greet. When that extravaganza ended, he looked at me and said, “I don’t think I’ll get the Goofy now. I really like it, but it’s too much money.” Let’s just say his brother would NOT have said that.

That Goofy encounter happened on Friday—our first day there. By Sunday, we had watched the boy study Goofy in at least three other shops. We always had a short interface about it, but he always came to the same conclusion.

By Monday, I decided to have a heart to heart with Shrek. I had told him about the Goofy statue and A’s decision. He and I both mocked the $150 price.

Then we decided to get it for him. This was a HUGE deal for us; as a rule, we don’t buy our kids big (EXPENSIVE) stuff that takes up room. The Goofy would not be part of the pixie dust that had allowed us the trip of a lifetime.

But we did it.

We giggled at our plot. It’s not easy to sneak around your kids in Disney World. We were together 24/7, of course.

I sneaked out to the Concierge desk one afternoon and spoke to Allison (love her!!!!!!!!!!). I told her our idea. I asked her if she could get Goofy to us so we could take him home in a box…all sealed up and unmarked. I told her we’d get it on the plane. She did it.

When Shrek and I saw the box behind the Concierge desk the next day, we gulped. Hard. Goofy’s big when he’s all boxed up for travel.

The night before we checked out, Goofy called A to wish him Happy Birthday. He slid a birthday card under the door for A the next morning. We had NOTHING to do with that. Thanks, Allison. My son looks at that card every day.

I tried to distract the boys while Shrek and the driver loaded the car, then the plane. A asked about the box once and I told him it was dirty clothes! I said we had so many they wouldn’t fit in the suitcase and I wanted them separate from the clean stuff. He bought it, which is funny cause I usually pack to go home the way Prissy packed Scarlett to get out of Atlanta-- dump and slam and hope to zip.

The next day, Sunday, was A’s true 12th birthday. After church the boys invited the neighbors over for a Mickey Rice Krispy treat. We had a few sittin’ around. A never asked about a birthday present, though he had a few cards from the mail.

Late in the afternoon we were making big dinner plans to eat at our favorite bulk Mexican joint. The idea of eating in restaurants had almost lost its charm on me but this place makes a big to do over birthdays and it’s a Fixer tradition. They put the sombrero on your head, sing in Spanish, and spoon whip cream onto your nose. Good times.

Anyway, we brought out the box and I asked A to help me unload it.

Goofy. He was beyond excited, beyond surprised. Those little feet started jumping up and down and he asked how we did it. He thanked us about 100,000 times.

Goofy lives in our former living room, now dining room. Yep. He’s on the buffet. We thought that would be his temporary home, but we’ve all grown attached to him. He’s watching me type and keeps an eye on my Dis-ing.

Some of our friends and family understand our love for Disney. Everyone has their passion. I can’t wait to go with my family again, but I don’t know when that will happen.

My Disboard friends understand it all. I’m even going back to Disney World to meet them there. Two of my good friends, from families we traveled to Disney with in 2005, are going with me. The planning is wonderful, as usual. At first we felt all guilty about going without our husbands and kids. We are all about talking to them about our vacation to an ‘International Food and Wine Festival that happens to be held in Orlando And It’s a Grownup Thing.’ We had no intention of playing the way we play with our kids.

Shrek scoffed at us. Go! Enjoy! REVEL, even!!! Ride Space Mountain without my boys? Well, OK.

I’m getting over some of the guilt and moving into the excitement. My friends and I were laughing about the fun we will have in The Happiest Place On Earth. It will be different, for sure. We know we will go back with our families. My A is jealous and freely admits it. That’s tricky.

The Vikings. MAELSTROM, people!!! I never thought I would make friends—real watch-your-back friends—on the Internet. I have, though, and I am so grateful. We like-minded typists, wordsmiths, cooks, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, jokers, Yankees, Canadians, Southerners, Left Coasters have formed an open and ever-expanding community of inreach and outreach here. All relationships should feel this easy and natural. I laugh with you all like laughter has no end. The Ultimate Fastpass is shared community in the hilarity of life.

I have a little over a month to decide about another trip report. Until then, The Fixer is D-O-N-E.

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Jami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bay-bee!!!!

Look at the ticker sister!!!

29 days!!!!

Get your run, jump, hug, laugh, cry, scream on!!!!!!!

'Cause you know I will!!!!!!

LYMI!!!!

Jami, awsome again! Sniff! You are a gifted writer.

See you in Norway........

That was a great trip report! I enjoyed reading it a lot, and looked forward to every part of it. Now I am looking forward to the next one.

Absolutely WONDERFUL trip report! :cheer2: :goofy:

Thank you for sharing this--it was a joy to read from beginning to end. I can hardly wait until you go back so we can read about your adventures again!

I just adore you. What a wonderful adventure you have shared with us. And, how thrilled I am to be sharing another exciting adventure with you in less than a month! Your spirit, enthusiasm for life, and love of family and friends shines through in your writing and in your pictures. Thanks so much for keeping us entertained oh these many months. You are awesome!

Can't wait for the hugging, screaming, skipping, jumping, plundering fun to begin!!!!!! :banana: :banana:

I agree with Ash Clan. Your writing style is wonderful, your family is wonderful, you are just one blessed person! Thanks for opening up your family to us....your 'net pals!

This was just a beautiful trip report Jami!!! You put a lot of heart and soul in it and I thank you for letting me go to Disney with you all! I'm excited to be going to Disney with you again, but in a different way, next month! woo hoo!!!!

Jami!!
I love that!! I love that you have a big ole Goofy on your dining room buffet. You are good people.

I can't wait to meet you! In a month!!!!!!!

Skipping, screaming, leaping, and swilling. (heh heh).

:surfweb: Jami, in just the short time I have had to get to "know" you online, I have found you to be extremely generous of your time and your spirit. I appreciate the value you have added to my life.

On a lighter note, when I saw a photo pasted at the end of the epilogue I was hoping it was Goofy! Not that the family portrait is not great . . . because it is beautiful. But I sure would like to see Goofy! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter