Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

Robo pointed me this thread. The first launching of the ARES-1 rocket is scheduled for August 30th. This is the new manned rocket that will be used for the Orion manned missions to the moon and to Mars.

Is anybody planning on going for the launch? This is the first launch of a new manned rocket in nearly 3 decades! I've never seen a launch, but I am stoked about the possibility of getting to see the first launch of the ARES-1.

If the Ares I-X actually launches on Aug 30 (or anytime this year) it will be the biggest recipient of pixie dust ever. Even Tink herself won't be able to make this thing fly by 8/30. No offense to any of the worker bees on the program, but there are many news articles about program management issues and turmoil in the direction of the overall space program along with specific technical concerns on this Ares-1X test flight. This upcoming Ares launch is an unmanned test of the partial launch vehicle, manned flights are at least 5 years away. Your enthusiasm about the launch is commendable though! Some shuttle launches go on the first attempt, others take a few tries such as this evening's attempt.

I recently read a NASA release that mentioned a hold on anymore Shuttle launches based on some debris during the launch of STS-127. Has anyone heard anything further on this? My wife and I are scheduled to be at WDW for the launch of STS-128 in August and I am hoping that the delay won't effect that launch.

Thanks for any insight.

-Jim

The STS-128 launch will be slightly delayed but is still currently looking at late August. August 18 will not be the day, however, even regardless of the short hold being placed on it because a Delta 2 is slated for August 17. They are expected to give the ok to proceed with STS-128 in the next few days, and right now a date as early as Aug 20 or 21 or a few days after is likely.

Ares 1-X will not take place before the end of October likely later.

I just found out the shuttle is scheduled for now (yes I know it could change) to launch on August 25 just after 1 AM during our next trip to the World. Any suggestions on the best place to go to watch without going to Cape Canavaral or Cocoa Beach? I was thinking of driving up to Tittusville.

Titusville will have just as many crowds and traffic will be backed up there as well, before and after the launch. So if you're willing to drive to Titusville, I would just head on over to Cocoa Beach, park by the pier, and watch the launch from the beach. If it is a clear night/morning, you will be able to see the launch from Orlando. If your resort hotel is a tall building, see if you can request a high room with an east facing window.

DH would LOVE to see a shuttle launch when we are on our trip in a couple of weeks, but he didn't really tell me until all the plans had been finalized. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing one either.

I've been checking the NASA schedules for the past month or so, and it looks like they have Discovery scheduled for launch 8/25 at 1:36AM. This is really the ONLY time that seeing a launch would work for us. We have a big day planned on the 24th, but no dining reservations that might push our timing back at all. I figure if we got done with our marathon day, we could head back to the room around 9 and take a quick nap, and back up at 11 to hit the road. The only thing in the plans for the 25th is a lunch ADR at 1:30, so we could sleep in. I had made scheduled the 25th to be our "down day" anyway.

I'm thinking the only traffic problems we might run into would be other people going to see the launch - and even then, wouldn't a 1:30AM launch draw a smaller crowd than a 9AM launch?

But just in case, I'm wondering if there is an alternate location to get a good view of the launch from. It would mean so much to DH to get to see one, and it is his birthday week while we're down there.

Any suggestions?

Timing a shuttle launch viewing is so hard. We were in New Smyrna Beach for a week in July and the launch was postponed 3 times before it finally launched on the fourth try. Just because they have it scheduled doesn't mean it will happen. It's really a pain. Good luck though.

Timing a shuttle launch viewing is so hard. We were in New Smyrna Beach for a week in July and the launch was postponed 3 times before it finally launched on the fourth try. Just because they have it scheduled doesn't mean it will happen. It's really a pain. Good luck though.

Today was the first day that there was an actual, scheduled date and time during our trip. Before, it was always "week of..."

We will most likely play it by ear that day, and if it happens and we're there - then GREAT! If we miss it, then it just wasn't meant to be... :guilty:

I've never watched a launch from WDW proper, but I've seen several from just outside WDW where my grandfather had a vacation home. I can tell you that you'll see more of the shuttle with a night launch than you would with a daytime launch, so the timing of this one is great for you.

My best advice for viewing the launch from central Florida is have two pairs of binoculars (one for each of you), and get up as high as you can so you can have the shuttle in view for as long as possible. Maybe an upper level of a resort or something like that.

Have fun!

The space view park at Titusville has the best view without being on the NASA causeway I believe. This site has some good info on viewing locations:

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html

Just how crowded would Titusville be for a 1:30AM launch? DH and I would like to see the launch on the 25th if it goes, but I definitely don't want to be stuck in traffic for hours trying to get back to our resort. I would imagine that for a night launch, it might be even more crowded. :sad1:

We lucked out a couple years ago and was able to watch a space shuttle launch and it was awesome! We went to Spaceview Park in Titusville as that's right across the river from where it takes off. (The closest place outside of Kennedy space center)

I had read get there early so we did and found a place to sit. Of course with a 2 & 4 year old they didn't like just sitting so I kept going for a walk with them. (Ours was an afternoon take off) Then I saw there was an empty field next to the park that didn't have many people sitting at and was on a hill so we moved over there just in time for the take off! It was fun because you saw it take off and a little while later the thunder from it would make it's way to you.

After it was long gone and we couldn't see it anymore we quick threw the kids & stroller in the van and was off. We thought we did good until we got on the road and it was bumper to bumper all the way back to I-4!! It took us 3 hours to get home that day. Of course I'm sure it didn't help as at that point it was more rush hour traffic too.

That day we said we would never do it again because of that drive home, but I know if we found out another one was taking off while we were down there.. I know without a doubt we would go back there again. At least for us living in Michigan... what's the odds we would ever see one take off like that again?

If the launch goes off as scheduled and if there aren't too many clouds between WDW and the coast, any place with a clear view to the East will do just fine. You'll have a minute or two from actual launch before the shuttle is high enough to see, but once it's up you should see it. We once saw a launch from the parking lot at the Caribbean Beach and now we can see it from just outside our front door. We didn't see the last one due to cloud cover, but on a clear day or night you can't miss it.

Bumping!

Can anyone answer the previous questions about what traffic would be like for a 1:30 AM launch? We are thinking of going when we are there in 3 weeks.

We have also seen the shuttle launch from WDW 2 times. The first time was from MK at night during MVMCP. They stopped the fireworks for the launch and then started them again after it was pretty much out of sight. We had been to Kennedy Space Center the week before the launch and had seen the shuttle on the launch pad. That was really cool to have seen it on the luanch pad and then to see it taking off! The last time we were at EPCOT and saw it over the lagoon during the day. It was harder to see it during the day but we could still tell what it was.

From what I hear it is very hard to get very close to Cape Canaveral on launch days and there are cars lining the streets all around there. As previously stated there is a lot of traffic and you won't get much better view.

Have a great trip and good luck!

Not true, Whoever told you that is mistaken. It is awesome to be closer to the launch. From anywhere along the river in Titusville down to Port St. John on US1 you can see it light up on the pad and start it's journey. From any beach you can see it almost from the ignition, too. It is much more exciting than being 50+ miles away. You will be able to read a paper from the light of the night launch if you are near Space view Park or on property. You will also hear the rumble and might even feel the earth shake a little . People who live on the Space Coast forever still plan to be outside or go even closer to watch all the launches.

As for traffic..... after a night launch------bumper to bumper in all directions! It will take 3 hours to get back to Disney. If you come south and head west on 192 in Melbourne it might get you out of bumper to bumper traffic quicker. It is a straight shoot to Disney on 192.

There are tickets you can buy from KSC to go on property to watch the launch. Need to get them way early, though. They are definitely worth the money. Not sure if you get to go as close as pre 911 like we used to get to do with passes from work, but you still get the best experience that way. They broadcast Nasa to that area so you here them decide to launch.

If you do decide to come over to the coast, bring some food and drinks for your group. You will be sitting for a while waiting for launch time so might want to bring flashlights or lanterns so you can play games or cards. Bring a smile and a cheery hello and you will meet other families from around the world. If you have binoculars, bring them so you can get a really good view of the boosters falling etc. I promise you it will be awesome. Been watching rockets fly since 1974. Seeing the Soyus launch was my deciding factor in choosing this area to live.

Of course there is always the chance of a scrub, but that is part of seeing a launch.

I just heard that there will be a shuttle launch on August 25, and I was wondering if anyone knew the best place on Disney property to be able to see the shuttle launch. Thanks.

That's a good question. I saw on a schedule of a launch on May 14th next year too. Thought it would be fun to see it if I could. I'm interested in the same information.

The launch is scheduled for 1:36am August 25. Honestly, anywhere where you can look to the east will do perfectly for a night launch. I was in south central Florida for a night launch and the entire sky glowed and you could see the shuttle up until the booster separation.

Don't miss this opportunity to see a night launch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter