Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

There was one scheduled when we were there in March and a CM told me that you can get a great view from the beach at the Poly.

I caught a launch from Fantasyland in Oct. '07. Clear as day. I've also seen several videos on Youtube from other locations in WDW. The further north the better, IMO.

-Kevin

When we were there in November, we saw the launch from outside of our door at Pop. We were in the 50's building facing the parking lot. I have no idea if it was the best place, but we saw it clearly.

I went to see a launch at 3 am and it was the most amazing thing to see. Because of the time of the launch there were not that many people and we were able to get very close!

I saw last week's launch from the bus stop in front of All Star Movies. Definitely had a clear enough view.

Does anyone know of the best place to see the Space Shuttle launch while at WDW?

When we are going to be there, the Space Shuttle will be launching at 4:22pm, and on a clear day, should be easy to see. We can't make the drive over there, because we have ADRs at 5:25.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread, but I had no idea where to put it.

I would just take the 30-40 minute drive and go hit Cocoa Beach, I'm betting just about anywhere on CB you would have a decent view, better than in Orlando.

We have driven it before, and it's more like an hour+. Then we have to get into the Magic Kingdom, then ADRs at LTT at 5:25. Absolutely no time to do that, so was wondering about viewing from WDW.

Does anyone know of the best place to see the Space Shuttle launch while at WDW?

When we are going to be there, the Space Shuttle will be launching at 4:22pm, and on a clear day, should be easy to see. We can't make the drive over there, because we have ADRs at 5:25.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread, but I had no idea where to put it.

I caught the 10/07 launch from Fantasyland next to the carousel. :)

-Kevin

Ooh, wow. Never even occured to me...

Date: Oct. 31 +
Mission: Ares I-X Flight Test
Launch Vehicle: Ares I-X
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39B
Description: The Ares I-X flight test is NASA's first test for the Agency's new Constellation launch vehicle -- Ares I. The Ares I-X flight will provide NASA with an early opportunity to test and prove flight characteristics, hardware, facilities and ground operations associated with the Ares I.
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

If they're on schedule, they'll launch while we're there! Ohboyohboy!

I have witnessed three launches from the Boardwalk. 2 at night.

The best spot for me was in front of Jelly Rolls facing east over the ESPN club

The 31st we're thinking EPCOT, maybe a water park... Either way, we'll be at EPCOT for dinner (ADR at 7:30.) Any good spots at either? Or a good way to get to see the launch without a car?

I watched a night one a couple years ago from the path from toontown to tomorrowland. It was neat to see.

There are lots of good places at WDW to watch a launch. The key is to have a large open area to your east. That's most easily accomplished by being on the west shore of one of the many bodies of water - it all depends on where you are going to be that day.

We just saw Discovery do their Midnight run and we were on the 3rd floor at POFQ building 6 it was nice as the trees were on the other side of the river and we were up high enough to see the horizon light up from the take off.

Have fun.

A space shuttle is what I'm pointing at in my avatar! :)

We were at EPCOT the day of the launch (it had been moved back several times), and though we doubted it was even possible, we asked a CM in Innoventions if the launch could be seen from there/where to look.

He told us that yes, it could, and that we should go over to Mission Space, and the shuttle would rise up from behind it. There were quite a few people standing around waiting for it, so they knew as well. And lo and behold, it came right up through the middle of the Mission Space building. I'm still trying to decide if that's a coincidence or not. :P

A space shuttle is what I'm pointing at in my avatar! :)

We were at EPCOT the day of the launch (it had been moved back several times), and though we doubted it was even possible, we asked a CM in Innoventions if the launch could be seen from there/where to look.

He told us that yes, it could, and that we should go over to Mission Space, and the shuttle would rise up from behind it. There were quite a few people standing around waiting for it, so they knew as well. And lo and behold, it came right up through the middle of the Mission Space building. I'm still trying to decide if that's a coincidence or not. :P

THAT IS AWESOME!! Now my trip is more anticipated than ever!!! Any way you can imbed that picture in the post? Make it larger?

I started to look around Google, and found someone's pic of a Launch from MK. TOO COOL!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyku/537478467/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter