PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

It's paid at check out.
I'm not sure what you mean by enforced. There's no fee for day guests so nothing to enforce
I just mean....it's up to me then to disclose that I have a car on property, right? Like the honor system? How would they know if I do or I don't. I'm NOT trying skirt the cost, I'm wondering how this will be tracked. Like I said...do I get a window sticker or a windshield sign that 'allows' me to part there...and that's how they know...or ??? They won't raise the gate to let me out on check-out day?? (sorry...sarcasm) I just see people saying that it's part of their on-line check in now...so is it then that you identify that you'll have a car on property?

I just mean....it's up to me then to disclose that I have a car on property, right? Like the honor system? How would they know if I do or I don't. I'm NOT trying skirt the cost, I'm wondering how this will be tracked. Like I said...do I get a window sticker or a windshield sign that 'allows' me to part there...and that's how they know...or ??? They won't raise the gate to let me out on check-out day?? (sorry...sarcasm) I just see people saying that it's part of their on-line check in now...so is it then that you identify that you'll have a car on property?
You have to scan your MB to enter the resort gate

Yes!! This is why I started this thread! I would like to know the same thing.. just how are they going to recognize who had a car overnight and who doesnt..among some other question I have, Unfortunately 102 posts in and all we get are guesses from people who have not been there this week and are replying with only one aspect....the fees or guesses about how Disney is going to handle the fees and stating them matter of factly. We all understand the fees. Someones guess could be right, but Id like to see confirmation from someone who has experienced it. Looking for how the operation works.

I appreciate new comments of what people "think" Disney should do. Love the questions like yours!! The license plate technology theory was informative. Im just wishing people would write "Im guessing that this is going to happen (insert guess)." That way people who dont want to read every post, just looking for real experiences, can skip over them.

Last edited:

Yep, couldn't agree more (and this comes from someone who doesn't drive). Funny thing, charging day guests to park would #1, fix that problem and #2, not alienate the overnight guests. Don't know why they didn't go that route. Seems like it would make the most sense all the way around

What they could have done is just made all parking pay (theme parks and resorts), then applied the existing onsite guests get free parking during their stay perk. Effectively, that is the same as only charging day guests, but once they've paid at their Breakfast ADR, they don't have to pay again at the park. The only incentive then to park at a resort would be to avoid the hassle of TTC. They could still enforce time limits since they would know when you entered.

Which I really do not understand simply because of how many hotels out there that do charge for parking. Disney has been in the minority in NOT charging. I mean, I get it, no one wants to pay fees and it's been great to not have to but really can anyone be that surprised they finally joined all the other resorts out there and started charging? I'm really surprised it's had that much backlash. Folks had to realize it would happen eventually.

As to day guests, they are not part of the equation. They aren't being charged now, or later. Eventually, maybe.

If they had only charged at the Deluxes, maybe this would be true. There are few if any motels near Disney on the same level as the Values that charge for parking. I have stayed at many hotels/motels around Orlando (192, I-Drive, and the Airport) and have only had to pay for parking at 3 of them --

Hilton Orlando (Deluxe)
The Swan (Deluxe)
Best Western Disney Springs (Moderate)

These were all either the equivalent of a Deluxe or on Disney property (BW DS). I have stayed at numerous other hotels that do not charge.

Yes, this is the one difference Disney is not charging for day guests, only overnight. I still can't understand being as angered as some are by this. Swolphin does it (plus charges a resort fee) and Universal does it.
As to rates, well, check some urban hotel rates and you'll quickly learn Disney rates aren't all that out of line. We find $300/night rooms common most anywhere we go. Rates only go up and up from there. Price points can really be all over the place, much like at Disney really.

The Swolphin is a Deluxe at Moderate prices (even with the resort and parking fees). If I could stay at a Disney Deluxe for $236/night all-inclusive (what I paid last September at the Swan) and earn starpoints/status, I wouldn't be complaining about the parking fee. Universal hotels are owned by Loews, nicer than equivalent priced Disney motels/resorts, and Universal doesn't have the abundance of land bought for pennies Disney does. Universal also charges day guests I believe, unlike Disney.

You can't really compare Disney to a major city. It is Apples and Oranges. The best comparison is Orlando itself. Not very many hotels in Orlando charge, and most of them are on Disney (Swan, DS Hotels) or Universal (Loews Hotels) property or a handful of Hiltons (Hilton Orlando, Doubletree Sea World, and Doubletree Universal) near the theme parks.

I still think that AP holders should receive free parking in the parks and overnight hotel stays. My 2 cents...
I am just commenting because I am following the thread.

Preach. If they had done that, there would have been a lot less complaints and they probably would have sold more APs since that would improve the breakeven for an AP vs. MYW Tickets.

This. Nobody wants to feel like hands are continually digging in their pockets. Just like when airlines started charging for baggage. I’d be happier if they just increased a price a little across the board and keep their mouths shut vs. tacking on additional fees for every nit-picking detail of a vacation.

I don’t have a clue what problem Disney thinks they’re solving with a parking fee. If it’s a parking issue don’t allow day guests to park at resorts where parking is an issue. There’s your solution. End of story.

No. I firmly believe this is a push to keep guests in the bubble and dollars flowing to the mouse, nobody else.

Those that say “Well Swolphin has always charged for parking....” True. And the ONLY reason I never stayed at those hotels is because paying for parking tipped the numbers. Times are changing.

Most places that charge for parking have a good reason, usually limited parking spaces to go around or they are outsourcing their parking, etc...None of these apply at Disney. They have plenty of parking, save for maybe some Deluxes during busy times, which is due to people parking and going to the parks not overnight guests. Their excuse is literally, "Everyone else is doing it". Except, like when we used that excuse as a kid, it isn't really true or a good reason to do something.

Last edited:

I guess my whole ideological confusion is ...what is the purpose? Is it merely revenue? Is it to dissuade people from bringing cars? Is it to 'thin the herd' as to volume? Why not just build in the assumed costs of parking to the next price increases of the hotels; that way, all this ire and confusion is avoided. The technology to not allow non-'residents' of a hotel or those who do not have restaurant reservations has been available for a while now...so I have a hard time believing that to be the motivation. ...it's just perplexing to me.

Has anyone that’s written to the generic guest relations e-mail (wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com) gotten a call back? I actually didn’t really want to talk to anyone about it...I expressed all of my concerns in the email and sent it to that address because I hadn’t heard of people getting a call back after sending e-mail there. I just checked my phone and lo and behold, there’s a voicemail from someone in guest relations wanting to talk to me about it. Just wondering what other people’s experiences were...

Has anyone that’s written to the generic guest relations e-mail (wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com) gotten a call back? I actually didn’t really want to talk to anyone about it...I expressed all of my concerns in the email and sent it to that address because I hadn’t heard of people getting a call back after sending e-mail there. I just checked my phone and lo and behold, there’s a voicemail from someone in guest relations wanting to talk to me about it. Just wondering what other people’s experiences were...

I got an email response back (no phone call) about a week after I emailed them, which was fine by me, because they addressed my concerns about making modifications in the email and now I have answers to my questions in writing just in case there is an issue and they try to charge me.

I got an email response back (no phone call) about a week after I emailed them, which was fine by me, because they addressed my concerns about making modifications in the email and now I have answers to my questions in writing just in case there is an issue and they try to charge me.

I’m curious how they decide who gets an e-mail and who gets a call.

I guess my whole ideological confusion is ...what is the purpose? Is it merely revenue? Is it to dissuade people from bringing cars? Is it to 'thin the herd' as to volume? Why not just build in the assumed costs of parking to the next price increases of the hotels; that way, all this ire and confusion is avoided. The technology to not allow non-'residents' of a hotel or those who do not have restaurant reservations has been available for a while now...so I have a hard time believing that to be the motivation. ...it's just perplexing to me.

I think it is mainly an additional source of revenue, but to also dissuade people flying from getting a rental car (which was the intent when they introduced Magical Express).

Yes!! This is why I started this thread! I would like to know the same thing.. just how are they going to recognize who had a car overnight and who doesnt..among some other question I have, Unfortunately 102 posts in and all we get are guesses from people who have not been there this week and are replying with only one aspect....the fees or guesses about how Disney is going to handle the fees and stating them matter of factly. We all understand the fees. Someones guess could be right, but Id like to see confirmation from someone who has experienced it. Looking for how the operation works.

I appreciate new comments of what people "think" Disney should do. Love the questions like yours!! The license plate technology theory was informative. Im just wishing people would write "Im guessing that this is going to happen (insert guess)." That way people who dont want to read every post, just looking for real experiences, can skip over them.

I hear you. I think in order to get the thread that you want, you'll need to 1) partner with a few moderators, 2) start a new thread expressly for the purpose of experience sharing and then 3) request the moderators remove posts that are not based on reporting experiences. This was done for the room check experiences, and it was rather successful.

Another factor is that the prior thread discussing the general nature, feedback to Disney and guesses around the implementation was closed a few days ago. So folks are now appropriating your thread in absence of another thread for speculative discussion and updates on emails/feedback to Disney. I look forward to reading about personal experiences regarding implementation. Since spontaneous trips do occur, there could already be some experiences "in the wild" to report.

I did. I wrote them the day this was announced and heard back on 3/22, which I kind of figured they'd get back to me after the day they'd start charging. I asked if my current reservations would be grandfathered in to not pay and they said yes. They thanked me for being an annual passholder and listed the perks for being one, also mentioning parking at the hotels not being one of them.

It's paid at check out.
I'm not sure what you mean by enforced. There's no fee for day guests so nothing to enforce

What comes to mind when I read enforced is if an unscrupulous resort guest enters claiming to be a day guest only there for shopping or dining, and does not come clean about having a car in the lot, how will Disney know to charge them at check out? Even if there is a license plate reader at the entrance guard gate, how would the photo be matched to overnight parking if the guest says the car won’t be staying? What if the guest claims it’s just an Uber when it’s not? Is there also a plate reader now installed at the exit? Are these plate readers more reliable than the ones used on the toll roads, where tickets are sometimes issued to the wrong person because it read the plate wrong?

How are they identifying the overnight guests who will park from the beginning in a manner that cannot be worked around? What if you rent a car for only a couple days mid trip, so park overnight two out of seven nights? What if one car on the reservation is there all seven nights but the second person on the reservation only spends three nights with their car? What if you are the passenger in a car that is not staying but pass your MB to the driver to open the gate so they can drop you off?There are a lot of questions regarding procedures and execution that haven’t been explained and based on their previous implementation and enforcement of controversial rules (the pet policies and security checks come to mind) I can’t shake the feeling that as a rule follower I am just a sheep to be fleeced because no one else will follow the rules anyway.

I am very interested in hearing specifically how this new policy is handled. Since my trips for the balance of 2018 are grandfathered in, my personal experience should be different from someone who is actually charged. I want to know how the car is identified initially (especially if the car arrives after check in day), how they identify the car in question is parked in the lot overnight, how they know how many nights it’s parked, etc. And I would prefer to know this in the next three months so when the 2019 rates come out I can make an educated decision whether I will book on property next year or not.

Oh, and to respond to the issue of the Swolphin charging for parking that was mentioned earlier in the thread, no, they did NOT always charge for parking. We used to stop by to have lunch at the Fountain if we were out shopping (they used to have the best homemade cinnamon ice cream . . .) and at that time all the parking lots were totally complimentary. There wasn’t any kind of validation or anyone monitoring the lots. When they started charging for parking, we quit stopping by to eat. I would have to do some research for the exact date they started, but thinking back it was maybe mid to late 1990’s.

I hear you. I think in order to get the thread that you want, you'll need to 1) partner with a few moderators, 2) start a new thread expressly for the purpose of experience sharing and then 3) request the moderators remove posts that are not based on reporting experiences. This was done for the room check experiences, and it was rather successful.

Another factor is that the prior thread discussing the general nature, feedback to Disney and guesses around the implementation was closed a few days ago. So folks are now appropriating your thread in absence of another thread for speculative discussion and updates on emails/feedback to Disney. I look forward to reading about personal experiences regarding implementation. Since spontaneous trips do occur, there could already be some experiences "in the wild" to report.

Not my personal experience, but someone on the Facebook Passholders group claimed they were not charged on a last minute one night stay recently (booked after 3/21).

Since they charge at aulani and Disneyland resorts already, it would be nice if someone could post their experience from these resorts on how parking charges are processed for those with or without cars....just saying

No way are they gonna alienate locals who want to go to a deluxe for a
Meal. I could see them requiring validation though.

This seems painless until you factor in Disney hate hates hates adding staff for anything. Having a tech scan each and every car in parking lot would be a time consuming and tedious job and I very much doubt Disney is gonna add extra staff for at it every lot at every resort to do this every night of the year
Agree, & the golf cart thing just doesn't make sense. Quite often, resort guests have visitors that come to spend the entire day with them. Think along the lines of...Grandma lives an hour away & is spending the day with family on vacation who are having a resort day, happens all the time. IMO, Grandma should not be charged!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter