PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

I think for me, the bottom line is, I'm always going to be angry at having to pay for something that was previously free. It doesn't matter what hotel I'm staying at. I might feel differently if this was a solution to a problem like overcrowding parking lots, but it's not.
This. Nobody wants to feel like hands are continually digging in their pockets. Just like when airlines started charging for baggage. I’d be happier if they just increased a price a little across the board and keep their mouths shut vs. tacking on additional fees for every nit-picking detail of a vacation.

I don’t have a clue what problem Disney thinks they’re solving with a parking fee. If it’s a parking issue don’t allow day guests to park at resorts where parking is an issue. There’s your solution. End of story.

No. I firmly believe this is a push to keep guests in the bubble and dollars flowing to the mouse, nobody else.

Those that say “Well Swolphin has always charged for parking....” True. And the ONLY reason I never stayed at those hotels is because paying for parking tipped the numbers. Times are changing.

Yep. If someone doesn’t believe it happens then I urge them to check out the different Disney vloggers on YouTube. Not only can you see certain vloggers park at the resorts to attend the parks, but they also share it as a “pro tip” to their watchers.

It’s also interesting to note, since most vloggers have APs, parking at the resorts has nothing to do with avoiding paying to the park. They just prefer the experience of resort parking over the TTC.

I would love to find out who these vloggers are and send their names to Mr. Chapek's office so he knows people are taking advantage of this loophole and WDW is loosing money from them.

I would love to find out who these vloggers are and send their names to Mr. Chapek's office so he knows people are taking advantage of this loophole and WDW is loosing money from them.
Disney knows. They watch every one of the bloggers. They have people who's entire job is to follow social media. Nothing happens that they don't know about.

The Swan and Dolphin charge day guests for parking unless you eat there. If you attend a convention and have a car you pay to park.

Boardwalk is about the only resort with a recurring parking shortage. Historically. Most of the rest of the lots have ample parking. Maybe CR at times.

Agreed. Not sure why anyone thinks they will see some kind of difference with this fee. There is nothing special going on here. The only difference is if you have a car you'll now be paying to park. The act of parking is not going to change.

Yeah, it’s like I said, these vloggers have APs so Disney isn’t losing any money on them since they get free parking anyway. Also, I don’t see Disney cracking down on them since they’re providing free advertising for WDW.

As a whole, I doubt there are enough vloggers occupying these parking spaces to cause a problem. I’m more concerned about all their viewers following their lead and thinking that that behavior is acceptable. Some of those vlogs can garner 100,000+ views. They’re quite influential.

Agreed. Not sure why anyone thinks they will see some kind of difference with this fee. There is nothing special going on here. The only difference is if you have a car you'll now be paying to park. The act of parking is not going to change.

Just a hunch: overnight resort guests will learn to self-identify as daytime resort visitors in order to avoid paying for parking. Would be easy enough to do with the current system. And if/when that practice becomes widespread, Disney will have to change up their approach. I think eventually they'll need to introduce a system that monitors exactly who is parked for what and for how long.

I think some are expecting a difference with this fee because of what some of us were told by GS. According to late reports, we should expect to see something rolled out called “Disney Arrivals”. I have no idea what that is supposed to entail, but they went to the trouble of naming it, so it has to be something, right? :confused3

Which I really do not understand simply because of how many hotels out there that do charge for parking. Disney has been in the minority in NOT charging. I mean, I get it, no one wants to pay fees and it's been great to not have to but really can anyone be that surprised they finally joined all the other resorts out there and started charging? I'm really surprised it's had that much backlash. Folks had to realize it would happen eventually.

As to day guests, they are not part of the equation. They aren't being charged now, or later. Eventually, maybe.
I think now that they charge they are in the minority. Except for in the big city’s I find that most places don’t charge. Dollywood dream more resort, Hersheypark’s two main hotels (the ones Hershey owns) cedar points hotels, any resort along the jersey shore, other than Atlantic City which is almost closed now, none of them charge. Last September before we checked into Disney we stayed just outside at a place that doesn’t charge. I’ve checked a bunch since Disney announced this and unless it’s located in a city’s center like manhattan or Boston or Philadelphia I really can’t find any that do charge. I hope these other places don’t follow Disney’s example

That is going to be one heck of a headache for the poor CMs who have this job. That's roughly one golf cart per resort, and with all of the parking spaces, people pulling in and out all day, etc., it's going to be rough. I'm sure the whole process will take some tweaking.

Actually this would be a very coveted job. Drive a golf cart all day with no guest interaction and nothing to keep track of. There's absolutely nothing the CM would have to do but drive around. The tech does literally everything.

Just a hunch: overnight resort guests will learn to self-identify as daytime resort visitors in order to avoid paying for parking. Would be easy enough to do with the current system. And if/when that practice becomes widespread, Disney will have to change up their approach. I think eventually they'll need to introduce a system that monitors exactly who is parked for what and for how long.

Which is already in place.

...Because some people were told that the reason the deluxe parking fee is higher than mods and values is because deluxe lots are smaller and parking more limited -- suggesting space is at a premium -- and if this puts some people off taking their cars it should ease the situation. Or why are people paying more? It's not the same as paying more for the actual resorts (room size and amenities; resort location and amenities). If they give this as their reason it should mean something.

...Also because if you're paying (that much) more to park at any deluxe, you should be able to get a space without driving around for 30 minutes. That's been mentioned by various people on these threads relating to BC, Poly, WL as well as CR and BWI.

So, like I said, I'll be interested to see if and how things evolve.

So how does this work, I'm staying at the POFQ, doing breakfast at Kona and then planning on going to the park from there can I do that? I booked before the 21st deadline.

While I agree, it would surprise me that they spent the $$ to outfit over 25 carts with the technology to then not use it.

By booking before the 21st, you would pay nothing.

Lets suppose you booked after the 21st. You would pay the $19/ night parking for your home resort, and roam freely around the bubble without paying at another resort or park.

So how does this work, I'm staying at the POFQ, doing breakfast at Kona and then planning on going to the park from there can I do that? I booked before the 21st deadline.
Just make sure you move your car from the Poly after your breakfast to the TTC or whichever park you will be visiting. You can't leave your car at the Poly while going to a park.
Denise

Actually this would be a very coveted job. Drive a golf cart all day with no guest interaction and nothing to keep track of. There's absolutely nothing the CM would have to do but drive around. The tech does literally everything.

Now wait a second...who exactly would covet a job of driving around the same parking lot all day?? That's like a nightmare! Okay, well there may be some folks who enjoy a few hundred monotonous breezeless laps around the blacktop. But it's probably just the "wave into parking space" CMs from the 4 main Park lots. For them, wheels would likely be a welcome relief ;)

(I'm just teasing, of course - lighten this topic up a wee bit)

I think now that they charge they are in the minority. Except for in the big city’s I find that most places don’t charge. Dollywood dream more resort, Hersheypark’s two main hotels (the ones Hershey owns) cedar points hotels, any resort along the jersey shore, other than Atlantic City which is almost closed now, none of them charge. Last September before we checked into Disney we stayed just outside at a place that doesn’t charge. I’ve checked a bunch since Disney announced this and unless it’s located in a city’s center like manhattan or Boston or Philadelphia I really can’t find any that do charge. I hope these other places don’t follow Disney’s example
You couldn't be more right about the big cities. I always take mass transit into NY b/c the only thing to top the price of parking is the price of living there. And with a son in a Boston college - one has a better shot of finding a bearskin rug maker at a PETA rally than a parking space in Boston. For the record, I love Boston. But you really can't park there unless you've got a few hours to kill looking for a spot.

Nothing changes. It’s never been allowed to leave your car all day at a resort at which you’re not staying (unless you valet). You can either valet or move your car after you eat.

....so is this parking fee paid when I check in? when I check out? Prior to arrival? And then is there a 'sticker' or a 'windshield sign'...what? How will this be monitored/ enforced? Disney Tow Trucks? MATER!!

....so is this parking fee paid when I check in? when I check out? Prior to arrival? And then is there a 'sticker' or a 'windshield sign'...what? How will this be monitored/ enforced? Disney Tow Trucks? MATER!!
It's paid at check out.
I'm not sure what you mean by enforced. There's no fee for day guests so nothing to enforce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter