PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

The overnight parking fee has been proven to be very unpopular. But there’s no reason to think it will alter the behavior of day guests. So many people are concerned about fairness, though the fees have nothing to do with being fair but rather making more money from rooms. People want really well defined rules and systems for charging or validating day guests, which I don’t disagree with, but Disney’s only incentive to implement measures for day guests is if the solution is profitable. They aren’t under some moral obligation out of fairness for overnight guests.

Personally I think it’s silly that in a place like Orlando there is any charge to park at all, at least not at those prices, but it was never about right and wrong. It’s about what people are willing to pay.

The overnight parking fee has been proven to be very unpopular. But there’s no reason to think it will alter the behavior of day guests. So many people are concerned about fairness, though the fees have nothing to do with being fair but rather making more money from rooms. People want really well defined rules and systems for charging or validating day guests, which I don’t disagree with, but Disney’s only incentive to implement measures for day guests is if the solution is profitable. They aren’t under some moral obligation out of fairness for overnight guests.
Which I really do not understand simply because of how many hotels out there that do charge for parking. Disney has been in the minority in NOT charging. I mean, I get it, no one wants to pay fees and it's been great to not have to but really can anyone be that surprised they finally joined all the other resorts out there and started charging? I'm really surprised it's had that much backlash. Folks had to realize it would happen eventually.

As to day guests, they are not part of the equation. They aren't being charged now, or later. Eventually, maybe.

Which I really do not understand simply because of how many hotels out there that do charge for parking. Disney has been in the minority in NOT charging. I mean, I get it, no one wants to pay fees and it's been great to not have to but really can anyone be that surprised they finally joined all the other resorts out there and started charging? I'm really surprised it's had that much backlash. Folks had to realize it would happen eventually.

As to day guests, they are not part of the equation. They aren't being charged now, or later. Eventually, maybe.

In my experience, hotels in the “real world” have charged rates commensurate with their amenities. There’s nowhere else I’d pay even close to what I do at Disney for what I get there. I always kind of felt like the parking fee was rolled in to the very high hotel price.

The only places I’ve had to pay for parking is in crowded downtown areas where space is extremely limited. I’ve never had to pay at a location that had plenty of space available (as Disney World does). And, at every single hotel where I HAVE paid to park, the hotel also charged an hourly rate for day guests or others who just wanted to use the parking facilities.

In my experience, hotels in the “real world” have charged rates commensurate with their amenities. There’s nowhere else I’d pay even close to what I do at Disney for what I get there. I always kind of felt like the parking fee was rolled in to the very high hotel price.

The only places I’ve had to pay for parking is in crowded downtown areas where space is extremely limited. I’ve never had to pay at a location that had plenty of space available (as Disney World does). And, at every single hotel where I HAVE paid to park, the hotel also charged an hourly rate for day guests or others who just wanted to use the parking facilities.
Yes, this is the one difference Disney is not charging for day guests, only overnight. I still can't understand being as angered as some are by this. Swolphin does it (plus charges a resort fee) and Universal does it.
As to rates, well, check some urban hotel rates and you'll quickly learn Disney rates aren't all that out of line. We find $300/night rooms common most anywhere we go. Rates only go up and up from there. Price points can really be all over the place, much like at Disney really.

Yes, this is the one difference Disney is not charging for day guests, only overnight. I still can't understand being as angered as some are by this. Swolphin does it (plus charges a resort fee) and Universal does it.
As to rates, well, check some urban hotel rates and you'll quickly learn Disney rates aren't all that out of line. We find $300/night rooms common most anywhere we go. Rates only go up and up from there. Price points can really be all over the place, much like at Disney really.

I always use downtowns St. Louis as an example because that’s where I visit most frequently, but I can get parking there for about $15 per night (and a room with taxes and fees for less than $300, often closer to $200). Why is the parking at the Disney deluxes $24? Why is the concrete at Beach Club more valuable than the concrete at Pop Century? And why don’t day guests have to pay? I can understand getting parking validated for spending a certain $ amount. But I’m not convinced that Disney does a great job of policing folks parking for access to the parks.

I actually priced out a trip to Universal the other day and was shocked at how much less expensive it was than my usual Disney trips. If Disney wanted to unbundle the costs (reduce the room rate and add a parking fee), I’d be OK with that. It appears that’s what places like Universal and Swolphin have done.

But they’ve just slapped this (really high) parking fee on with no real explanation as to why and no way to offset the cost, and no fee for day guests. There are a lot of inconsistencies and it’s frustrating.

I was looking for a September trip. 9/26/18, for pool view at Poly, $682, for the same night at Loews Portofino, it is $329, and this includes unlimited express passes. This is why the parking fee has bothered me. Disney uses the example of other hotels charging for parking, sure, but the prices for the rooms at Disney are literally double!

I was looking for a September trip. 9/26/18, for pool view at Poly, $682, for the same night at Loews Portofino, it is $329, and this includes unlimited express passes. This is why the parking fee has bothered me. Disney uses the example of other hotels charging for parking, sure, but the prices for the rooms at Disney are literally double!
While true that's crazy high, Poly will get a promo. No one pays rack rate (or no one I knows does) unless you go the week between Christmas and New Years
Disney's sale model is annoying. Though watching for Universal's AP sales is too, they don't issue them till very close till travel dates

I think for me, the bottom line is, I'm always going to be angry at having to pay for something that was previously free. It doesn't matter what hotel I'm staying at. I might feel differently if this was a solution to a problem like overcrowding parking lots, but it's not.

Disney is supposed to be different.

While I agree, it would surprise me that they spent the $$ to outfit over 25 carts with the technology to then not use it.
That is going to be one heck of a headache for the poor CMs who have this job. That's roughly one golf cart per resort, and with all of the parking spaces, people pulling in and out all day, etc., it's going to be rough. I'm sure the whole process will take some tweaking.

This thread is 4 pages in, without any real life experiences shared. Just lots of speculation. I'd love to see some real feedback even though it'll be years before I head back to WDW.
No one booked and stayed, after the change date. No ones being charged for parking yet.
Well, I booked something but it only indicates that you are charged for parking at checkout if you have a car

That's never been allowed, and there's no reason to think it will be now.
Everyone on this board knows it’s never been allowed but everyone also knows it’s never enforced (except for major holidays) so it’s standard to find these parking lots full of people doing it. What these people are wondering is if it’s going to now be enforced. I think nothing is going to change at all. These charges are just meant to squeeze a little more out of the visitors to be pocketed. Not to help pay for more cm’s To enforce or change anything, no way they spend anything to improve parking

Last edited:
Our local library that is downtown has a parking garage. You take your ticket inside to get validated. After 3 hours, you begin to get charged.

If the library can figure it out, Disney ought to be able to do so.

:thumbsup2
I suppose the librarians aren't distracted by the call of million dollar bonuses! ;)

...And, at every single hotel where I HAVE paid to park, the hotel also charged an hourly rate for day guests or others who just wanted to use the parking facilities.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

I always use downtowns St. Louis as an example because that’s where I visit most frequently, but I can get parking there for about $15 per night (and a room with taxes and fees for less than $300, often closer to $200). Why is the parking at the Disney deluxes $24? Why is the concrete at Beach Club more valuable than the concrete at Pop Century? And why don’t day guests have to pay? I can understand getting parking validated for spending a certain $ amount. But I’m not convinced that Disney does a great job of policing folks parking for access to the parks.

I actually priced out a trip to Universal the other day and was shocked at how much less expensive it was than my usual Disney trips. If Disney wanted to unbundle the costs (reduce the room rate and add a parking fee), I’d be OK with that. It appears that’s what places like Universal and Swolphin have done.

But they’ve just slapped this (really high) parking fee on with no real explanation as to why and no way to offset the cost, and no fee for day guests. There are a lot of inconsistencies and it’s frustrating.

:thumbsup2
Agree. Reading your post has also made me think, do the Loews resorts' parking charges differ according to resort? PB/HR/ RPR? Is that industry standard?

Disney is supposed to be different.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

As we hear more about how this is unfolding, I'll be particularly interested to know if people who pay a premium to park at a deluxe Disney resort are easily finding spaces when they need them.

Everyone on this board knows it’s never been allowed but everyone also knows it’s never enforced (except for major holidays) so it’s standard to find these parking lots full of people doing it. What these people are wondering is if it’s going to now be enforced. Nothing is going to change at all. These charges are just meant to squeeze a little more out of the visitors to be pocketed. Not to help pay for more cm’s To enforce or change anything, no way they spend anything to improve parking

Yep. If someone doesn’t believe it happens then I urge them to check out the different Disney vloggers on YouTube. Not only can you see certain vloggers park at the resorts to attend the parks, but they also share it as a “pro tip” to their watchers.

It’s also interesting to note, since most vloggers have APs, parking at the resorts has nothing to do with avoiding paying to the park. They just prefer the experience of resort parking over the TTC.

Yep. If someone doesn’t believe it happens then I urge them to check out the different Disney vloggers on YouTube. Not only can you see certain vloggers park at the resorts to attend the parks, but they also share it as a “pro tip” to their watchers.

It’s also interesting to note, since most vloggers have APs, parking at the resorts has nothing to do with avoiding paying to the park. They just prefer the experience of resort parking over the TTC.
And it's why I would have liked to have seen them implement a day guest parking fee at the resort over an overnight parking fee for guests. It would have all but eliminated the problem of people parking at the resort and then going to a park. Even if someone came there it eat and got a ticket validated, they'd need to show the validated ticket to avoid a fee so they'd need to go move the car when they finished eating, not hours later.

As we hear more about how this is unfolding, I'll be particularly interested to know if people who pay a premium to park at a deluxe Disney resort are easily finding spaces when they need them.
Boardwalk is about the only resort with a recurring parking shortage. Historically. Most of the rest of the lots have ample parking. Maybe CR at times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter