Maui planning, tips, and trip reports

Any recommendations for Easter brunch on Oahu? We're leaving Oahu to go to Maui on Easter and would like to go to a Easter brunch.

I'm unsure if you want a Easter Brunch Buffet or just a plated Easter meal? Not too many buffets have reopened in this time of covid. I know Pagoda, 100 Sails, Plumeria Beach House & possibly Sunday Club at the Alohilani Resort would be buffets & their websites may not have info about it right now because of Valentine's Day. Other brunch places that aren't buffets would be Over Easy, Moke's & Cinnamon's in Kailua, Mac 24/7, Cinnamon's Ilikai, Beachhouse at the Moana, Orchids, Koko Head Cafe, Basalt, Sweet E's Cafe, Cafe Kaila in the Waikiki area.

I'm unsure if you want a Easter Brunch Buffet or just a plated Easter meal? Not too many buffets have reopened in this time of covid. I know Pagoda, 100 Sails, Plumeria Beach House & possibly Sunday Club at the Alohilani Resort would be buffets & their websites may not have info about it right now because of Valentine's Day. Other brunch places that aren't buffets would be Over Easy, Moke's & Cinnamon's in Kailua, Mac 24/7, Cinnamon's Ilikai, Beachhouse at the Moana, Orchids, Koko Head Cafe, Basalt, Sweet E's Cafe, Cafe Kaila in the Waikiki area.
Thank you! This gives me a lot of places to look into. I appreciate it!

Ok, I’ve got a Maui food question! We’re trying to pick a restaurant for our anniversary dinner, maybe Wailea area but that’s not mandatory. So we want somewhere a little “nice” because we’ll already be (mildly) dressed up from family pics. And I want someplace that will actually acknowledge our celebration (yes, I want something written on my plate in chocolate or eel sauce or something LOL). Also, we have one who doesn’t eat seafood (DH) and one (DD) who is quite picky but wants to start trying more things (and who loves cooking shows).

I’ve looked at Humble Market, Morimoto, and HumuHumu, and we’ve got menu options for everyone at all of them. However I’m not sure I want to take out a second mortgage for any of them! (We are doing a luau one night too…) Lineage sounds pretty darn good, but only one thing each I think DH and DD can eat, so we’d be hosed if they didn’t have that thing for some reason. I’ve also looked at Mama’s but not sure we really want to drive that far for dinner. All the Dukes properties in Ka’anapali have some pretty good looking menus for a lot less. Anybody here have any thoughts on any of these? Or any other suggestions for a special meal? Bonus points for one that might not break the bank!

@FoodieFriend, jump in here! :)

Ok, I’ve got a Maui food question! We’re trying to pick a restaurant for our anniversary dinner, maybe Wailea area but that’s not mandatory. So we want somewhere a little “nice” because we’ll already be (mildly) dressed up from family pics. And I want someplace that will actually acknowledge our celebration (yes, I want something written on my plate in chocolate or eel sauce or something LOL). Also, we have one who doesn’t eat seafood (DH) and one (DD) who is quite picky but wants to start trying more things (and who loves cooking shows).

I’ve looked at Humble Market, Morimoto, and HumuHumu, and we’ve got menu options for everyone at all of them. However I’m not sure I want to take out a second mortgage for any of them! (We are doing a luau one night too…) Lineage sounds pretty darn good, but only one thing each I think DH and DD can eat, so we’d be hosed if they didn’t have that thing for some reason. I’ve also looked at Mama’s but not sure we really want to drive that far for dinner. All the Dukes properties in Ka’anapali have some pretty good looking menus for a lot less. Anybody here have any thoughts on any of these? Or any other suggestions for a special meal? Bonus points for one that might not break the bank!

@FoodieFriend, jump in here! :)

I'm a huge fan of Morimoto Asia in Honolulu, so I'd hope his Maui location is as good BUT it's definitely on the pricey side. I see he has his sticky ribs on the Maui menu & that's a MUST if you decide to go there. We've enjoyed his sushi (I guess that would be for you, not DH or DD) & the pictures on his website look good, but yeah, still expensive. I'd stay away from the bao because his dim sum style items in Honolulu were not to our tastes. I'm unsure if they will do writing on your plate for celebrations but I'd ask for it instead of waiting to see if they do it. We're not huge celebratory people, so I can't speak on that for Maui.

I don't know how "fancy" you want to go, but Cafe O'Lei is a family run local business that has pretty good food in Kihei at good prices. They have multiple locations that border on fancy/casual. Again, I don't know how they would handle celebrations, so I advise you ask them. We've been most recently to their location at the Dunes Golf Course because their prime rib was recommended to me & we enjoyed it. We also saw their Mill House location but we were there on a Monday & their locations are usually closed on Mondays, but it did look nice, but I'm unsure what the standard attire is there.

My sister really enjoyed Lineage in 2020 (I was unable to join them that year) but I haven't been there myself. I have no idea if they are having similar supply issue for product as Oahu restaurants, so if their choices are limited, I'd say skip it. For

Another restaurant I haven't been to, but was considering was Gannon's at the Wailea Golf Club. I'm familiar with Bev Gannon's original restaurant, Haliimaile General Store so I had hoped her second location is just as good. Since I haven't been there yet, I don't know how fancy/dressy it is and her online menu is a bit more pricey that Cafe OLei, but your family might find her options more appealing?

We've been to Ko at Fairmon Kea Lani & while it was good, it was super uber expensive. We only went because they were offering a deal for locals that was buy one, get one entree. I don't think they are offering that anymore. We were also looking at DUO at Four Seasons but their menu on Yelp from January looks pretty pricey too.

sorry I couldn't be a greater help & I didn't reply in a timely manner. I hope you can find something terrific to celebrate your anniversary!!! (and I'd like to hear how it went for you if I haven't replied too late)

I'm a huge fan of Morimoto Asia in Honolulu, so I'd hope his Maui location is as good BUT it's definitely on the pricey side. I see he has his sticky ribs on the Maui menu & that's a MUST if you decide to go there. We've enjoyed his sushi (I guess that would be for you, not DH or DD) & the pictures on his website look good, but yeah, still expensive. I'd stay away from the bao because his dim sum style items in Honolulu were not to our tastes. I'm unsure if they will do writing on your plate for celebrations but I'd ask for it instead of waiting to see if they do it. We're not huge celebratory people, so I can't speak on that for Maui.

I don't know how "fancy" you want to go, but Cafe O'Lei is a family run local business that has pretty good food in Kihei at good prices. They have multiple locations that border on fancy/casual. Again, I don't know how they would handle celebrations, so I advise you ask them. We've been most recently to their location at the Dunes Golf Course because their prime rib was recommended to me & we enjoyed it. We also saw their Mill House location but we were there on a Monday & their locations are usually closed on Mondays, but it did look nice, but I'm unsure what the standard attire is there.

My sister really enjoyed Lineage in 2020 (I was unable to join them that year) but I haven't been there myself. I have no idea if they are having similar supply issue for product as Oahu restaurants, so if their choices are limited, I'd say skip it. For

Another restaurant I haven't been to, but was considering was Gannon's at the Wailea Golf Club. I'm familiar with Bev Gannon's original restaurant, Haliimaile General Store so I had hoped her second location is just as good. Since I haven't been there yet, I don't know how fancy/dressy it is and her online menu is a bit more pricey that Cafe OLei, but your family might find her options more appealing?

We've been to Ko at Fairmon Kea Lani & while it was good, it was super uber expensive. We only went because they were offering a deal for locals that was buy one, get one entree. I don't think they are offering that anymore. We were also looking at DUO at Four Seasons but their menu on Yelp from January looks pretty pricey too.

sorry I couldn't be a greater help & I didn't reply in a timely manner. I hope you can find something terrific to celebrate your anniversary!!! (and I'd like to hear how it went for you if I haven't replied too late)
Morimoto is definitely pricey, but less than Humble Market Kitchin! That was my first choice, but when DD saw Morimoto there, she lost it! So that’s now #1. I liked the looks of Humuhumu but for some reason they have zero availability on our anniversary date but lots around it; must be a special event or something. We may try it another night.

I showed DD the Lineage menu and she was not thrilled. We might leave the kids in the room to order Dominos and go without them!

I had just heard great things about Cafe O’Lei at Mill House on a podcast, so I had added that to my list for a last dinner before we head to the airport!

Have you tried Nalu’s in Kihei? Heard good things there too and great prices for Hawaii!!

One tip I'm giving to myself and others who may be visiting O'ahu and any other Hawai'ian island is to visit O'ahu first.

I can't tell you how depressing it was after being in Maui for five weeks to be driving from HNL to Aulani on the six-lane H1. Heavy traffic and big city Honolulu will be on the front end of any multi-island travel that includes O'ahu in our future.

One tip I'm giving to myself and others who may be visiting O'ahu and any other Hawai'ian island is to visit O'ahu first.

I can't tell you how depressing it was after being in Maui for five weeks to be driving from HNL to Aulani on the six-lane H1. Heavy traffic and big city Honolulu will be on the front end of any multi-island travel that includes O'ahu in our future.

The secret would be to drive when there's less traffic. Going to Aulani from the airport during evening rush hour (called Pau Hana Time) from 3pm-6pm Mon-Fri is THE WORST! The only exception may be a weekday holiday. If you are going from Aulani to the airport, the worst time would be morning rush hour from around 5am-8am but may be less during summer or public school holidays like spring break. Neighbor island can have rush hour traffic as well, but it's never as bad as Oahu's traffic.

Morimoto is definitely pricey, but less than Humble Market Kitchin! That was my first choice, but when DD saw Morimoto there, she lost it! So that’s now #1. I liked the looks of Humuhumu but for some reason they have zero availability on our anniversary date but lots around it; must be a special event or something. We may try it another night.

I showed DD the Lineage menu and she was not thrilled. We might leave the kids in the room to order Dominos and go without them!

I had just heard great things about Cafe O’Lei at Mill House on a podcast, so I had added that to my list for a last dinner before we head to the airport!

Have you tried Nalu’s in Kihei? Heard good things there too and great prices for Hawaii!!

I'm glad she's excited for Morimoto! I love both the Waikiki & Orlando locations!! We were actually there for their grand opening at the Waikiki location & my mom got to take pics with Chef Morimoto. We've also seen him from a distance at the Orlando location twice.

LOL about Lineage, if you like their menu, make it work any way you can. Thanks for informing me about Nalu's. Their menu looks amazing & recent Yelp reviews are good. I don't know if we'll be able to fit it in but we'll see!

We're using Hawaii as a stop over between Australia and the US in October, so we're doing October 4th - 11th at Eldorado Maui and October 26th - 29th at Aulani 😊

so overwhelmed with planning but so excited! Anyone recommend a company for a private road to Hana tour?

Anyone with advice on resorts that compare to Aulani (the slides, lazy river, pool specifically) but on other islands? Like Grand Wailea?

Anyone with advice on resorts that compare to Aulani (the slides, lazy river, pool specifically) but on other islands? Like Grand Wailea?
Yes, Grand Hyatt on Kauai. They have a lazy river and large pool complex similar to Aulani and GW on Maui. We last stayed there in 2019 but have plans to stay again next time we are in Kauai.

Even the Wailea Beach Marriott looks comparable in terms of slides. (The real winner of Aulani to be was the detailing in the lazy River.) I can report back on that later this summer! But yes the Grand Wailea looks great. And it should for those prices! (I’m staying on points!)

Yes, Grand Hyatt on Kauai. They have a lazy river and large pool complex similar to Aulani and GW on Maui. We last stayed there in 2019 but have plans to stay again next time we are in Kauai.
I want to do Kauai again on my next trip! Do you have any experience with any of the Marriott properties there? Looks like they are mostly timeshares, but from the app it seems like they rent some to non-owners. Would love any feedback. We saw Kauai from our cruise ship so have no hotel experience.

I want to do Kauai again on my next trip! Do you have any experience with any of the Marriott properties there? Looks like they are mostly timeshares, but from the app it seems like they rent some to non-owners. Would love any feedback. We saw Kauai from our cruise ship so have no hotel experience.
There is a Marriott resort in Poipu just down the road from the Hyatt. I think its called the Waiohai Beach Club. We had breakfast there at their restaurant one day on our way to Waimea Canyon. It looked nice and like it had a lot of pools but we didn't stay there so I can't comment on the rooms. It did seem like it might be a timeshare/condo property and I think you can pay cash on the Marriott website. The only bummer is that the beaches in Poipu where the Grand Hyatt and Marriott are located are not swimmable beaches but the pools more than make up for that. And there is Poipu Beach State Park which is right down the road too.

There is also a Marriott resort in Lihue. We stopped there to kill some time on the way to the airport. That is on a swimmable beach and looked like it had lots of pools and activities. It's definitely an older property and could use a refresh. There is also a Sheraton resort in Poipu and one in Kapa'a. I have heard that the property in Poipu is nicer.

We are usually Marriott people and tend to stay at Marriott properties but we had heard such good things about the Grand Hyatt that we had to stay there.

There is a Marriott resort in Poipu just down the road from the Hyatt. I think its called the Waiohai Beach Club. We had breakfast there at their restaurant one day on our way to Waimea Canyon. It looked nice and like it had a lot of pools but we didn't stay there so I can't comment on the rooms. It did seem like it might be a timeshare/condo property and I think you can pay cash on the Marriott website. The only bummer is that the beaches in Poipu where the Grand Hyatt and Marriott are located are not swimmable beaches but the pools more than make up for that. And there is Poipu Beach State Park which is right down the road too.

There is also a Marriott resort in Lihue. We stopped there to kill some time on the way to the airport. That is on a swimmable beach and looked like it had lots of pools and activities. It's definitely an older property and could use a refresh. There is also a Sheraton resort in Poipu and one in Kapa'a. I have heard that the property in Poipu is nicer.

We are usually Marriott people and tend to stay at Marriott properties but we had heard such good things about the Grand Hyatt that we had to stay there.
I’d love to use my points for a stay, so I’ll probably target a Marriott even if it’s not THE most amazing option. Was there a swimmable/snorkelable (I’m just making up words today! Lol) beach within walking distance of the Grand Hyatt & that Marriott in Poipu? Or I guess I should ask, are there appropriate paths/sidewalks for that? We drove to Poipu State park and there seemed to be a good amount of parking, but I’d like to have at least one beach in walking distance. Hard to tell that stuff from google maps. The Marriott in Wailea (Maui) is also not ON a sand beach, but there is one on each side with a nice paved path between. I’ll accept a lot more on a free stay than a paid one! LOL Thanks for the info!!

I’d love to use my points for a stay, so I’ll probably target a Marriott even if it’s not THE most amazing option. Was there a swimmable/snorkelable (I’m just making up words today! Lol) beach within walking distance of the Grand Hyatt & that Marriott in Poipu? Or I guess I should ask, are there appropriate paths/sidewalks for that? We drove to Poipu State park and there seemed to be a good amount of parking, but I’d like to have at least one beach in walking distance. Hard to tell that stuff from google maps. The Marriott in Wailea (Maui) is also not ON a sand beach, but there is one on each side with a nice paved path between. I’ll accept a lot more on a free stay than a paid one! LOL Thanks for the info!!

I don’t recall any swimmable beach that was walkable. But it may depend on what your definiton of walkable is. There were some sidewalks around but not near the Grand Hyatt. The Grand Hyatt was kind of at the end of a cul-de-sac like road with the other resorts. You could definitely sit on the beach where the Grand Hyatt was but the water was very rough. I have heard that it may be calmer in winter but not 100% sure. We were there in July 2019.

Also meant to add too that Sheraton is part of the Bonvoy/Marriott brand of hotels so your points will be good there too for more options.

We just came back from our split stay at Aulani on Oahu & The West Inn Maui Resort & Spa in Maui. It was my first time. I liked all the pools, lazy river but especially enjoyed the adults only infinity hot tubs. So much fun! Drinks were good, food was good, all was good accept I didn't like the man made beach at Aulani as the sand was gritty and not soft like a real beach. I also enjoyed The West inn. They had adult pools & hot tubs, good drinks & food but the food cost so much more in Maui than at Aulani. I was actually surprised at the good prices on food at Aulani. This was our honeymoon trip so adults only and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and it was very relaxing. We went to Pearl Harbor, the Dole Plantation, snorkeling & did a luau all in 6 days/6 nights. I loved the rainbow pancakes with my new favorite coconut syrup at eggs & things. I hope you all enjoy your trip as we did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter