Maui planning, tips, and trip reports

Thanks for all the tips, tricks and restaurant recommendations.

We're headed to Maui in February. We've been tossing around the road to Hana. Drive it? Hire tour guide? Skip it? We believe we're going to skip it. We're lazy vacationers and the thought of driving or riding in traffic at 30-40mph for 6-8 hrs is not appealing to us. We each have long commutes to work. We understand the journey is what it is all about. We get it but it just doesn't sound like how we want to spend a day on Maui. We have found several beaches, hikes and sites we want to check out other than RTH. We would rather spend the day on a beach and snorkel or just chill on the beach than riding in a car.

Anyone else skip RTH? Or has anyone done RTH and regretted it. Surely we're not the only ones who decided to skip it.

We’ve been to Maui several times and never once have we done the road to Hana. The fact that I get carsick quite easily alongside of how long it takes has always been a deterrent for us. It’s not that I don’t want to do it, it’s just that there is other things that take precedent on Maui we would rather do. I think the longest stretch of time we spent on Maui was 10 days and even then we had our schedules full. We are active and love the beach and ocean sports so spending all that time in a car touring just isn’t for us.

We’ve been to Maui twice and drove to Hana both times. First time, we drove it all in a day. We saw lots of things but we didn’t get to spend nearly enough time at Wai’anapanapa, because we definitely wanted to be off the road by dark. This summer, we stayed two nights in Hana, and that was much more enjoyable. We could spend longer at stops, catch them on the way back if parking wasn’t available, and spent much more time at Wai’anapanapa, Hamoa Beach, hiked the Pipiwai Trail, and more. (Highly recommend Hana Kai condos if anyone is interested; pic is the view from my bed, if you need convincing! 🤩) I personally love that side of the island so much that I call it a must, but it’s definitely tiring, especially all in one day.B68AC8B2-274F-4C69-A0CF-57005107FF07.jpeg

We broke up the drive with a one night stay Near Hana. The pools at O’he’o were awesome! We didn’t get to do the hike, but something to do if we ever return.

Also second snorkeling at Molokini Crater! My husband doesn’t love water activities but he said it was the best snorkeling experience he’d done.

I am starting to plan a trip to Maui then Aulani for end of 2023. I’ve been to Oahu a few times, Kauai and the Big Island but this is our first trip to Maui. When picking area to stay, where do you recommend? Kaanapali, Lahaina, Wailea or Kihei are the area I’ve been looking. We’ll have a pre-teen and a teenage with us, a rental car as well.

I am starting to plan a trip to Maui then Aulani for end of 2023. I’ve been to Oahu a few times, Kauai and the Big Island but this is our first trip to Maui. When picking area to stay, where do you recommend? Kaanapali, Lahaina, Wailea or Kihei are the area I’ve been looking. We’ll have a pre-teen and a teenage with us, a rental car as well.
Following, tentative trip spring of 24

I still haven’t made it to Lahaina, but I might give it a try next time. I personally REALLY enjoyed staying a couple of days in Hana. The east side of the island is so quiet and beautiful. I’m from TN and Hana (and most of upcountry, really) felt like all the little farm communities here, but in a tropical paradise.

That said, I enjoyed Wailea too. There are some spectacular hotels there but also lots of condos nestled right in between them on the same gorgeous beaches. The snorkeling is amazing in the south—you can pretty much walk in and snorkel at any beach (but do a little research to ID the dangerous spots). The shopping and dining in Wailea and Lahaina is for the most part “upscale,” so pricey. From any of the Wailea oceanfront hotels, it’s an easy walk to half a dozen beaches (which are all somehow very different, even if only separated by a finger of rocks. But it isn’t very walkable in terms of getting to the shops and restaurants, but all the hotels run shuttles.

The Kihei area has lots of condos right on the water, and lots of public-access type beaches (all are technically public, but these have much more public parking). There are tons of shops and restaurants easily walkable from there. Really depends on what lodging you’re looking for.

Anyplace on Maui (other than the east side) is easily accessible by car in under an hour though, so you can easily explore from wherever you choose to stay.

5 more sleeps before we board the plane to MAUI!! We are super excited. I started packing this weekend. It's supposed to rain on and off next week so we're bringing more athletic wear than we had planned. We have a washer and a dryer so we might be in the same two athletic wear outfits all week! LOL!!

We're adding the Maui Ocean center to our plans for a rainy day outing. I'm packing our ponchos and getting in Disney mode. We don't go home for rain, we PONCHO-UP and continue touring the parks. That's going to be my mind set for Maui. PONCHO-UP and continue touring Maui. :)

Here's to hoping the rain subsides and we get to enjoy sunny skies and rainbows.

We're adding the Maui Ocean center to our plans for a rainy day outing. I'm packing our ponchos and getting in Disney mode. We don't go home for rain, we PONCHO-UP and continue touring the parks. That's going to be my mind set for Maui. PONCHO-UP and continue touring Maui. :)
I'm sure you know this, but just in case, keep in mind when out hiking and such, rain needs to be taken seriously. Streams and waterfalls can swell quickly, rocks become slippery, etc. Just a little PSA because it is easy to get hurt or find yourself in a dangerous situation when out and about. Some people forget they aren't in a controlled environment like WDW.

That said though, absolutely, don't let a little rain ruin your fun.

The Maui Ocean Center is great. The Seascape restaurant inside the Center is a good lunch spot. And Hula Cookies and Ice Cream is a great place in the adjacent shopping center. Good Hawaiian made ice cream (Roselani) and fresh baked cookies.

Kaanapali and Wailea are resort areas. Kihei has a lot of smaller properties, strip malls and such. All three have excellent beaches, but I prefer Kaanapali. A bit wider variety of types of beaches in that area, whether you want swimming, snorkeling or boogie boarding. Lahaina is a nice area, but not much in the way of beaches. You are close to Kaanapali and the rest of the west side, but I prefer staying in Kaanapali and then driving into Lahaina when we want to eat/shop there.

Kihei and Wailea are closer to the airport and the larger towns of Kahului and Wailuku. And it is also closer to Haleakala and the Road to Hana.

So a lot of it depends on what you want to do and what you want to be close to.

Regarding the Road to Hana, I recommend it. The length of the drive depends on where you are starting from of course, but it is only about a 2 hour drive from Kihei if you were to not stop. But of course you are going to want to stop at quite a few places. So the drive is not anything like a commute. It is some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see, and you simply will not see the same type of things on the drier, leeward side of the island.

Yes, the road is windy once you get into it, but again, there are plenty places worth stopping which breaks up the drive well.

We will be spending 6 days in Maui before going to Aulani and am also wondering about the RTH. We will be renting a minivan, and I’ve read the roads are not made for bigger cars. I’m also slightly height averse. I’m considering a tour just so we don’t have to navigate it ourselves, but am equally concerned about being stuck on the tour to completion and just wanting to be done , or being stuck in a van with outher tourists (#IntrovertProblems), lol.
Any advice? 😊

Last edited:
I don’t remember the RTH being so narrow that a minivan wouldn’t be able to maneuver. It’s just a simple two lane highway.

I’d prefer having the ability to stop and go at own pace than via tour bus. If you can plan to overnight somewhere along the way, it breaks up the long drive.

I don’t remember the RTH being so narrow that a minivan wouldn’t be able to maneuver. It’s just a simple two lane highway.

I’d prefer having the ability to stop and go at own pace than via tour bus. If you can plan to overnight somewhere along the way, it breaks up the long drive.
Totally agree. We went to Hana in a Tahoe last time. There are very limited spots for pulling off the road legally anyway. If there is a spot, a minivan will fit as well as anything. And I know I’ve already said it, but if there are things you really want to spend time doing, it’s better to go on your own and best to spend at least one night on the east side. It’s so beautiful and quiet over there…..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter