March Break at the Yacht Club! - UPDATED 07/21

Thursday night’s dinner plan was to head to Teppan Edo. After the disappointment at the Biergarten (based solely on our family moods) I was ready for a great dinner in Japan.

We left early enough to have time to wander around and made sure we had a full tour of Japan before heading into dinner. I think Japan may be one of my favourite Epcot countries. There is so much to see and even in the midst of crowd chaos it still feels so peaceful.

Here are a couple of photos. The second photo is a scrim that fronts some beautiful origami cranes.

692_small.jpg

693_small.jpg

697_small.jpg

702_small.jpg

704_small.jpg

Our supper at Teppan Edo was amazing. Loved the whole experience. You are seated at tables for 8, so if your party is smaller you will be sharing a table with others. We shared with a quiet couple and three women who I believe were all part of the Disney College program. There wasn’t much interaction between the three groups, but it was a pleasant table to eat with. Our chef was entertaining, but he was younger and clearly most interested in the three women and took every opportunity to talk and flirt with them. It was amusing to watch.

For those who haven’t been there before, here is how the meal works. You are seated and they take your drink order. Next up they take your dinner order. When the chef comes out, he brings a cart which is prepared with the ingredients needed to make each meal. You get to watch him heating up the veggies and cooking up the different meat/seafood options and he serves the food as it is cooked. My son and I had the steak and I think my husband had a steak or chicken plus shrimp meal. The food was so tasty – definitely a meal I dream of eating again someday. As they cook up the food, the chef’s carry on some fun banter and try to make the cooking into a bit of a show.

In this picture, the chef at the other table was stacking up the onions to make them into a steaming volcano.

707_small.jpg

Our chef made the onions into a steam train and was pushing them across the grill making choo, choo noises.

710_small.jpg

There is just enough banter and fun to keep everyone amused throughout the prep.

After dinner, it was another beautiful night out and we slowly strolled around taking some pictures along the way. It was great to be there during the F&G festival but the crowds made it difficult to take great pictures of the displays. The Mater and McQueen display we really nice, but the picture below is about as good as I could get since the crowds were so thick.

712_small.jpg

713_small.jpg

721_small.jpg

On the way out of WS, we took some time to enjoy one more GG slushie, since our trip was soon coming to an end.

When we got back to the YC, we decided it was a good evening to check out the movie on the beach. They were showing Emperor’s New Groove which is one of our favourites so we all settled in for a bit.

Here are some shots of what it looks like to watch the movie, and some of the other views from our beach chairs. It was such a gorgeous night to just sit outside for a bit.

743_small.jpg

752_small.jpg

731_small.jpg

733_small.jpg

751_small.jpg

After watching the movie we headed back to the CL lounge for dessert and watched Wishes from our balcony. All in all, it was a great day.

There was one odd CL interaction this day that I should tell you about. By this time in our trip we were starting to tire of our structured meals and wanted to enjoy one more casual counter service meal, so we needed to cancel one of our ADRs. We had a day and a half left, with plans on Friday to head to Big River Grill for lunch and Raglan Road for supper, and Saturday lunch was booked for the Rose and Crown. Since all three were pubs we thought we should cancel the lunch on Friday and leave that open to have some counter service in Epcot.

We weighed our options:
  • Cancel Big River Grill – my husband loves this place and didn’t want to cancel. I’m neutral on it, and would have been fine cancelling, but was also happy to go since he really wanted it.
  • Cancel Raglan Road – no way! Our ADR was the day before St. Patrick’s Day and there was no way we were missing that meal.
  • Cancel Rose and Crown – this was one we were wanting for sentimental reasons. We have been to the R&C on all of our trips to WDW so it feels like tradition. We also go there because the R&C is our pub at home (see picture below). We live down the street from the R&C and are there at least once a week. It seemed like we couldn’t spend a week being so close to the R&C without going at least once.

rc.jpg

In the end, we chose to cancel the R&C ADR and move the Big River Grill ADR from Friday to Saturday. Since we were staying CL, we asked them to make the changes for us. I forget who we were talking to, but she was one of the staff that seemed to know more than the others, but she said she couldn’t help us with the Big River ADR. She said she could cancel the R&C and Big River ADRs but she couldn’t book an ADR for the Big River, since they didn’t take ADRs. I explained that the IPO was able to book ADRs at Big River, so I didn’t understand why she couldn’t. She said that IPO is able to book some things that the CL staff can’t.

Even if she can’t book the ADR directly, why couldn’t she have called over to the IPO to ask them to do it? It didn’t really matter since Big River is easy to get into as a walk up, but I still could not understand why she couldn’t get us an ADR. It just struck us as weird that the CL team couldn’t help us with this simple request. :confused3

Well that’s enough prattling on for one day. Next up, our last full day. :sad1:

Loved this update!!!

We have had several great meals at Teppan Edo! Such a great place to eat, but we haven't actually been for a few years.

That's funny that you mentioned the chef flirting with the girls. I noticed a lot more flirting going on during my recent trip than I had ever experienced before. Then again, DH wasn't around!

The Japanese pavillion is beautiful! Wow, on your picture of the pagoda.

And speaking of pictures- you probably know this is coming...

May I put that first picture of the movie on the beach on Page 1???

Demon Llama!

That is weird that CL couldn't help you with the dining changes. It sounds like it worked out, though.

Loved this update!!!

We have had several great meals at Teppan Edo! Such a great place to eat, but we haven't actually been for a few years.

That's funny that you mentioned the chef flirting with the girls. I noticed a lot more flirting going on during my recent trip than I had ever experienced before. Then again, DH wasn't around!

The Japanese pavillion is beautiful! Wow, on your picture of the pagoda.

And speaking of pictures- you probably know this is coming...

May I put that first picture of the movie on the beach on Page 1???

Demon Llama!

That is weird that CL couldn't help you with the dining changes. It sounds like it worked out, though.

Of course you can have the picture. Consider this your blanket approval to take whatever pictures you like. :) (My tiny bit of payback for all the work you put into this thread!)

The flirting really was hilarious. He was talking to them about possibly running into them on the cast bus, asking where they worked, going over how long they've been there. I just wanted to say "oh just ask one of them out already!" The rest of us at the table barely existed. :lmao:

That does seem strange... I never thought about IPO and the CL staff being different but Of course they are!

Love the pictures! Our dinner at Teppan Edo is one of our favorites throughout the trip.

Wow Janet absolutely love these latest photos! I can almost feel the cool sand between my toes at the beach movie:love:

We plan on eating at Tokoyo Dining on our next trip mainly because my husband is an oddball:rotfl:(ok shy-ish) and would prefer his own family table and I have no plans to add 3 more kids to our family:rotfl2: Hope the food is as good there!

Many, many moons ago when we stayed with hubby's uncle in Toronto we paid many visits to a Rose and Crown pub that did the best roast beef subs I've ever tasted!

Cant believe you are nearing the end of your trip. I bet Raglan Road was fun for St Paddys:)

Wow Janet absolutely love these latest photos! I can almost feel the cool sand between my toes at the beach movie:love:

We plan on eating at Tokoyo Dining on our next trip mainly because my husband is an oddball:rotfl:(ok shy-ish) and would prefer his own family table and I have no plans to add 3 more kids to our family:rotfl2: Hope the food is as good there!

Many, many moons ago when we stayed with hubby's uncle in Toronto we paid many visits to a Rose and Crown pub that did the best roast beef subs I've ever tasted!

Cant believe you are nearing the end of your trip. I bet Raglan Road was fun for St Paddys:)

I think there is only one Rose and Crown in Toronto, so where you went is likely where we spend most Friday nights. :)

I'd be willing to bet that Tokyo Dining is good too!

I think there is only one Rose and Crown in Toronto, so where you went is likely where we spend most Friday nights. :)

I'd be willing to bet that Tokyo Dining is good too!

I wonder if it's the same pub? Ok bearing in mind that we were there in 1987-the year we got engaged- I think it was on Young Street, just down the road from a shopping centre (possibly called Eaton Centre or something similar)? I can tell yoou it served "hot roast beef on a roll" which we thought was the height of fine dining:rotfl:

Glad to hear that you really enjoy Teppan Edo. We had never been to a tepanyaki place until last summer and now we have several in the next town from us (not sure why they need so many). Hubby is very much looking forward to our Teppan Edo ADR. I'll have to share your post with him.

That does seem strange... I never thought about IPO and the CL staff being different but Of course they are!

Love the pictures! Our dinner at Teppan Edo is one of our favorites throughout the trip.

Glad to hear that you really enjoy Teppan Edo. We had never been to a tepanyaki place until last summer and now we have several in the next town from us (not sure why they need so many). Hubby is very much looking forward to our Teppan Edo ADR. I'll have to share your post with him.

Your comments have me missing Teppan Edo even more. It is going to be at the top of my list, when we plan our next trip!

I wonder if it's the same pub? Ok bearing in mind that we were there in 1987-the year we got engaged- I think it was on Young Street, just down the road from a shopping centre (possibly called Eaton Centre or something similar)? I can tell yoou it served "hot roast beef on a roll" which we thought was the height of fine dining:rotfl:

I'd guess it is the same pub. :) I'm always a fan of a good roast beef sandwich - definitely fine dining! :thumbsup2

I just spent the past 2 hours reading your trip report and am enjoying it immensely. Some day I will stay at the Yacht Club. After my kids are moved out and my disposable cash is mine again.

Boom, Baby! The Emperor's New Groove is my favorite Disney movie.

I just spent the past 2 hours reading your trip report and am enjoying it immensely. Some day I will stay at the Yacht Club. After my kids are moved out and my disposable cash is mine again.

Boom, Baby! The Emperor's New Groove is my favorite Disney movie.

Yay for disposable cash!

I can't wait for our next trip which will likely come after our son is no longer interested in coming with us. I keep dreaming of all the new things that will be open to us with one less fussy eater. So looking forward to discovering WDW as two adult travellers. :)

Thanks for reading!

We love Teppan Edo. Unfortunately it has not made the cut this trip. We are spending our first 8 nights on I-Drive at the Rosen Inn so will have a couple of meals at Shogun instead.

I'd guess it is the same pub. :) I'm always a fan of a good roast beef sandwich - definitely fine dining! :thumbsup2
I loved that pub! It was our wee haven that we escaped to as frequently as humanly possible without causing anyone offense;) Glad to hear it's still there. Is Pat and Mario's still in existence? Seem to remember eating there too:)
Yay for disposable cash!

I can't wait for our next trip which will likely come after our son is no longer interested in coming with us. I keep dreaming of all the new things that will be open to us with one less fussy eater. So looking forward to discovering WDW as two adult travellers. :)

Thanks for reading!
:rotfl2:We've been saying that about our eldest (22yr old)for a few years now but apparently kids have no problem holidaying with parents as long as it's sunny florida (not the back end of nowhere)
:rotfl2: Have to admit I love that she still wants to come though so I'm not complaining:)

I loved that pub! It was our wee haven that we escaped to as frequently as humanly possible without causing anyone offense;) Glad to hear it's still there. Is Pat and Mario's still in existence? Seem to remember eating there too:)

:rotfl2:We've been saying that about our eldest (22yr old)for a few years now but apparently kids have no problem holidaying with parents as long as it's sunny florida (not the back end of nowhere)
:rotfl2: Have to admit I love that she still wants to come though so I'm not complaining:)

We probably have to find that vacation sweet spot - when our son is still a teen that doesn't want to travel with his parents, but isn't old enough to appreciate how good he had it when we paid for everything. I'm guessing that is about a six-month window shortly around the 18th birthday.

I'm guessing our son won't be in any hurry to move away from us and get out on his own! (or I'm secretly hoping that anyway!)

Ahhh, thank you for your attention to detail.
Like anyone who posts on the Dis, I am obsessed about planning every detail. I have every morning, noon and night mapped out, but once we arrive the plans are merely suggestions and we go with the flow and do what we want.

In lieu of another installment for the trip report today, I give you a glimpse of my planning spreadsheet. Enjoy!

disney2012excel.jpg

Subbin' :coffee:

I LOVE THIS!!! This reminds me of how hard-core I plan, then lax when I get there! Loving this TR...miss this place SO much! :sad1:

Whew! All caught up! I wanted to add my personal approval to Teppan Edo. We changed an ADR to Teppan Edo when we decided to do a few more hours in World Showcase instead of going over to the Magic Kingdom one afternoon. IMO, it was the best one table service credit we used in our visit! We enjoy those types of Japanese steakhouses, having eaten many times at Benihana and other places like that. I felt the Teppan Edo was a slightly different version of that. If you have a good chef, the whole experience can be loads of fun and the food can be very tasty. That was our experience.

Enjoying the trip report!

Sorry, I’ve gone missing from here and did not post my routine Sunday trip report installment. We celebrated Canada Day this weekend which meant being out of town and away from the computer. But now that I’m back, let’s continue…

For our last full day, we chose to head over to Epcot and check out some of the areas we hadn’t made it too yet. It was sad to be starting our last full day, but I was excited to get to some new areas. We made it into Epcot before the World Showcase opened. I thought we would be able to wander around, but they had it roped off and we had to wait. We were headed to Norway, so we walked around and waited to get through.

Our first mission was Maelstrom. We love the hard rock sound of this passive ride (with a dash of creepy, scary trolls). Sadly, Maelstrom was closed and they couldn’t say if it would be open in two minutes or two hours, so we moved on and checked out the gift shop instead. My son was quite willing to pose for a photo here, because back in 2010 we captured one of my all-time favourite photos of my son.

2012 photo

755_small.jpg

2010 photo

479_2010_small.jpg

After Norway, we checked out China. On all our previous trips we have never made it into China, so we checked out the gorgeous ceiling and spent some time looking at all their shops had to offer.

756_small.jpg

758_small.jpg

Loved how light the crowds were this morning. It was so nice to be able to stroll around the world without having to fight our way through the crowds.

759_small.jpg

Soon it was time for lunch. My husband and I wanted some of the sushi from Japan, so off we went and my son went back to America for a cheese dog. I love the counter service sushi restaurant in Japan. It is definitely one of Epcot’s hidden quiet spots.

While that lunch should have been enough to satisfy us, on the way back to our room my husband and I couldn’t resist one more stop at Beaches and Cream. We took advantage of the takeout counter and found a table out front to dive into an amazing Banana Split.

Before

763_small.jpg

After

764_small.jpg

Well that’s enough prattling on for one day. Next up, Downtown Disney.

My son was quite willing to pose for a photo here, because back in 2010 we captured one of my all-time favourite photos of my son.

2012 photo

755_small.jpg

2010 photo

479_2010_small.jpg

I can see why that is a favorite photo!

I was going to say how surprising it is that your son has grown so much in a couple of years, but I'm going through that same thing with my two boys.

Nice day! A few countries followed by a banana split. Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter