Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

Not judging here, but just a question on alligator behavior. I just read the cnn link posted above by bgirldeb which is a pretty good account of what happened. The authorities quoted in the article stated that the toddler was the only person down in the water with feet in the water playing and that if it had been an adult, the gator *probably* would not have attacked but somehow a child is more likely to be attacked.

So are gators really "discriminatory" when sizing up prey or do they just go after a moving body.

pocomom--your statement seems to indicate that the gator would have just ran up on the beach but the articles seems to indicate that it would have been more reserved than that and, I assume, was just hanging out at the surface of the water.

I'm no gator expert, but I'm going to guess they are pretty experienced at sizing up what they go after and having an instinctual understanding of what's within their capabilities.

Gators are VERY discriminatory. They're predators, and predators don't like to go after risky prey - ie, anyone too large to snatch easily. Their survival depends on making smart choices - if they attack something that can fight back, they might get injured. And if they get injured, they're dead. Predators are cowards by design.

I recall visiting the London Aquarium, and seeing the gator in its tank rush up and press its belly against the glass every time a toddler wandered close, only to back off and float in the water whenever a parent moved near. My daughter and I hung out to watch for a bit. The gator was clearly excited and trying to get through the glass at the small child. And not at all interested in tackling an adult sized person.

The aquarium staffer nearby demurred when asked about the gator's predatory behaviour, but did admit that the gator had skipped a meal recently (she'd apparently ignored the food they'd put out for her).

To a five foot gator (like the one in London), a toddler looks like a perfect snack.

So... while it's certainly possible a gator might run up onto the sand to grab a child, it's unlikely. Unless the gator was starving and desperate, of course, in which case all bets are off with regards to animal behaviour.

More likely, the gator was floating unseen in the water, the father and child wandered near, and the gator decided to take a chance at grabbing dinner.

Thanks for the explanation. On this thread, some are saying that the child would not have even been safe out of the water, but this is less likely to be the case I think. For the future, if indeed there is a thread to gators coming up on the sand, I think some better signage needs to be there to keep people back.

Born and raised well outside of FL. This is a terrible tragedy....but outside of people believing Disney removes all gators (impossible), I can't believe "northerners" don't know there could be gators in water. I can't tell you how many hours I spent driving down 75 looking for alligators....its one thing FL is known for....

I just don't think about it. I will now.

I think the fact that they have sand along the lake which fakes a real beach, it's gives people the idea that they can wade in the water just like they would a real beach. I wonder if we're going to start seeing fences along the beach to keep people out of the water ? I don't think that will look very good but it could happen.

That father must be just destroyed...the mom too, put the father was right next to him and saw him being grabbed by the alligator.

I don't think there's any chance that they're going to find anything . Does anyone really think they well ?

I am so sad to hear this news. I am originally from Nebraska but lived in Florida for 25 years. I drilled my kids about watching for alligators and water moccasins to the point that when we moved out of Florida my youngest (then 4) thought that there were alligators in the river because of the moving water. Alligators are dangerous predators, and my thoughts and prayers are with this family.

I grew up at the shore. "No swimming" meant no lifeguard was on duty. Not the water was dangerous. I believe the signs at Disney say something more specific but none of it matters... being out of the water but still near it would not have protected this baby.

Ah, here in Michigan that would be posted "swim at your own risk", no "no swimming". Very few of our public beaches and boardwalks have lifeguards. When a beach is posted "no swimming" in my area, it tends to be because of higher-than-acceptable bacteria levels so you want to stay out of the water completely.

But my understanding of gators is that if the kid had been on land, he probably never would have encountered one. They're ambush hunters and a groomed, man-made beach isn't the sort of environment where they'd hunt because of the lack of cover. From what I've heard/read, they are far more likely to hide in shallow water or tall vegetation until something that looks like prey wanders withing striking distance.

I think the fact that they have sand along the lake which fakes a real beach, it's gives people the idea that they can wade in the water just like they would a real beach. I wonder if we're going to start seeing fences along the beach to keep people out of the water ? I don't think that will look very good but it could happen.

That father must be just destroyed...the mom too, put the father was right next to him and saw him being grabbed by the alligator.

I don't think there's any chance that they're going to find anything . Does anyone really think they well ?

I was thinking the same thing. Chances are very slim IMO that the child is alive. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see how. I can see fencing going up to keep people out and gators in the water. That father will never be the same, he will be beating himself up for the rest of his life. Prayers for all.

Also why would you want to get in that water. It looks so dirty.

I live in MD all of our coast line beach water that people travel hours to reach all summer and every weekend is dirty. You can't see your feet once you reach ankle/calf level at most areas. There are tons of seaweed, jellyfish, beach stones, etc. But people flock to these dirty waters to swim deep out into the ocean and bay all day everyday.

Around here no swimming signs are posted every evening when the lifeguards are off duty. People do it every single time anyway though.
Honestly, I must be the most naive person in the world!

I had no idea there was a brain eating bacteria. That just doesn't even sound like a possibility in "America". Sounds like a science fiction novel.

I had no idea every single water way is a possible home to an alligator. My Dh always jokes on our visits "there's alligators in that water" every time we pass any water even the afternoon puddles but never took his sarcasm as a possibility.

I wouldn't think to equate no swimming to no touching the water. Swimming and stepping are not the same actions.

I don't think Disney is at fault but I do think Disney limits the wording on their signs for their own benefits. If they ever had it posted the dangers of an alligator attack or a brain eating amoeba guests would surely stay out of the water but then would they possibly stay away from that hotel entirely? I think so.

Last edited:
What a horrible situation. I can't imagine.

I'm surprised by how many posters think no swimming means they can go hang out in the water. It reminds me of when the kids try to get away with something I told them not to do, like "you said no jumping on the couch, we aren't. We're standing and dancing. That's not jumping"
Also, I'm a "northerner". I never really thought about gators being in that water but I knew about the brain eating amoeba.

Ah, here in Michigan that would be posted "swim at your own risk", no "no swimming". Very few of our public beaches and boardwalks have lifeguards. When a beach is posted "no swimming" in my area, it tends to be because of higher-than-acceptable bacteria levels so you want to stay out of the water completely.

But my understanding of gators is that if the kid had been on land, he probably never would have encountered one. They're ambush hunters and a groomed, man-made beach isn't the sort of environment where they'd hunt because of the lack of cover. From what I've heard/read, they are far more likely to hide in shallow water or tall vegetation until something that looks like prey wanders withing striking distance.

Except there was a family that reported the contrary and said a gator did lunge at them on the beach at the Poly. I think we have to take the "natrual instinct" out of the equation with animals that are constantly surrounded by people, some of which that leave food behind. Just like birds and other resort animals we get used to, gators may think it's safer to approach because they get used to the surroundings and see it as a food source.

More likely.. but it is not that likely for them to hunt humans in the first place. This gator was likely either excessively hungry or excessively aggressive.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Chances are very slim IMO that the child is alive. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see how. I can see fencing going up to keep people out and gators in the water. That father will never be the same, he will be beating himself up for the rest of his life. Prayers for all.

I think at this point they're just trying to find something I don't think anyone really thinks he's alive a two-year-old in a lake all night.. no.

In just a handful of comments on this thread there are such wide disparities in what people understand about no swimming signs and gator behavior, yet some people were so quick to point fingers at the father because surely he should have had the complete picture they did and is negligent for not preventing the tragedy.

I look back at the number of times I've stood on one of the beaches around that lake, watching the fireworks, just inches from the edge of the water. My wife and I stood there with many people, several of them very young children, yet none of us really considered just how dangerous that activity may have been. I wonder if there was a thread on some forum somewhere where others were mocking us and judging us for how terrible we all were because of that?

I think we're going to see different signage, with pictures of gators included, but no fencing.

They were wading in the water according to what was just said on our news. There is a reason they tell you to not go in the water. Sad situation but this is what happens when you don't follow the rules. Tough mistake for the parents to learn.
Of course you are right - it goes without saying, but IMO, in kindness it is better left unsaid. I pray that in the days to come this family is just supernaturally protected from exposure to the "comments" section of social media. :sad:

This is so heartbreaking! As a parent you can't even imagine what this family is going through and the horrific guilt the parents must be going through. Sitting on the outside one would assume a no swimming sign means to stay out of the water. It is easy to say the parents weren't watching the child. None of that matters just pray for this family and clousure for them.

Is it Disneys fault, a lawsuit down the road? Sign was posted, can they prove Disney knew alligators in lagoon? Doesn't matter now.

As a child in the mid 70s I remember playing in the lagoon, going on beach by where luau was at Poly. In morning there'd be plastic cups and we'd try to catch minnows. In the early 2000s I watch my boys wade to knees in that same water with signs up about swimming.

My prayers and heart goes out to this family, the community of Orlando and emergency personnel there who have seen so much.
Good thoughts. Having recently been through the loss of dearly loved ones killed in a senseless, preventable way, this issue is very raw. Smartaleck quips about "Darwin Awards" pile guilt and shame on already unimaginable grief. I've come to realize that this kind of criticism seems to be a way for some to cope with their own fears and convince themselves that nothing so horrific could ever happen to them.

I don't think it's ignorance. You just don't think about these things happening. It's not one of the common dangers that people look out for. Kidnapping, TBI from not wearing a helmet, keeping them from running into traffic... THOSE are the things we automatically think of and are cautious about. Should they have been a little more careful in/around the water at night? Sure. Everyone can be more careful, but it's not ignorance.
Very thoughtful comments. The last time we were in Miami we took one of those Everglades airboat tours and visited some sort of wildlife rescue facility. We saw TONS of gators up close in the water and on the surrounding land. Honestly, they presented as being pretty docile. The guide stressed how very infrequent gator attacks are in Florida and how the nature of gators is opportunistic, not aggressive. We came away without a real sense of danger. Add the "Disney Factor" and for sure you've got people who simply have no way to properly percieve the true threat.

Of course you are right - it goes without saying, but IMO, in kindness it is better left unsaid. I pray that in the days to come this family is just supernaturally protected from exposure to the "comments" section of social media. :sad:

Good thoughts. Having recently been through the loss of dearly loved ones killed in a senseless, preventable way, this issue is very raw. Smartaleck quips about "Darwin Awards" pile guilt and shame on already unimaginable grief. I've come to realize that this kind of criticism seems to be a way for some to cope with their own fears and convince themselves that nothing so horrific could ever happen to them.

Very thoughtful comments. The last time we were in Miami we took one of those Everglades airboat tours and visited some sort of wildlife rescue facility. We saw TONS of gators in the water and on the surrounding land. Honestly, they presented as being pretty docile. The guide stressed how very infrequent gator attacks are in Florida and how the nature of gators is opportunistic, not aggressive. We came away without a real sense of danger. Add the "Disney Factor" and for sure you've got people who simply have no way to properly percieve the true threat.

I still haven't forgotten touring the Everglades as a child. We spent time trailing along behind a ranger in a rather large group. I remember seeing a very large gator appearing to me to be sleeping along some reeds in the marsh not incredibly far beyond the path we were on. The ranger told us to snap a quick photo but keep our distance and move along. I remember there was a grandpa in the group who was walking with a cane who decided to wander down closer to get a better look. A few people commented it might not be a good idea, including his family, but he said it was fine because the gator didn't even see him because he was coming up behind him. I remember my dad grabbing my hand and pulling me away fast and telling the guy they sweep you in with their tail. I got scared because I knew my dad wasn't intimidated by wildlife and he grabbed my hand hard and pulled me almost too fast for me to keep up so it stood out in my mind.

I saw it on my Facebook feed from a news outlet I'm not familiar with, and I honestly didn't believe it was a real story at first. What a sad, scary thing!

That said, I do wonder at all the people who look at a "no swimming" sign and think that's not the same as "stay out of the water". I don't live in gator country. I live in a state that is essentially without venomous snakes or other wildlife that could pose a hazard to swimmers. But when I see a place marked "no swimming" I read that as "not safe to go in the water". Underwater hazards, strong currents, bacterial levels... there are lots of reasons a beach might not be suitable for playing in the water and not all of them take being in deep water or completely submerged to effect a person.

Maybe I'm an idiot but it wouldn't (and hasn't in past visits) have occurred to me that "no swimming" meant you can't stand on the beach with your feet in the water. I don't even think "Danger:Wildlife" would indicate to me that I can't put my feet in the Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake. And don't get me wrong, I am one who generally obeys signs. I also agree with the poster who said the first thing he thinks of when he see "No swimming" is that there is no lifeguard around.

Last edited:
I would like to share 2 things in relation to this tragedy. Yes Floridians, Georgians, and South Carolinians equate water to gators and it just seems to be a natural "duh" thing to us. But folks this isnt a "duh" moment to people not from these areas. As an example a coworker of mine moved to Colorado 2 years ago from Florida. He sent us pictures of he and his teenage boys hiking in the woods and walking up close to a moose for a photo. Almost all people from Colorado would tell you that is a death wish, a "duh" moment if you will, but because he is a Florida transplant he put himself and his sons in very serious danger and is lucky nothing happened.

The second thing that i would like to share is this. Just because you are in Disneyworld you cannot let your guard down folks. They have thieves, swindlers, creeps, things that break down, mosquitoes, snakes, even fires. You cannot believe you are in your mother's womb because you are visiting the mouse.

God Bless that little boy and his parents too.

If they are going to put up new signage then hopefully it states "do not go in to the water" because its just seems that anything else they say can be interpreted differently by different people.
Or even if they out something like stay back from water X feet, or do not go beyond this point.
Anything that makes it clear to people to not go in, or even near the waters edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter