Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

Are gators more active at night? I've seen them during the day sunning themselves but wasn't sure if they are more active at night.
They're not nocturnal and also feed during the day, but they are much more active at night. They sun during the day because they are cold-blooded and have to get their core temperature up to about 85 degrees F for their digestive systems to work.

They're opportunistic, but also selective, and they rarely miss what they go for. I've seen them snatch large birds off tree branches 4 feet above the water. I've also seen them sun all afternoon with several turtles (one of their main food sources) lying right next to them -- literally touching the alligator -- and never bother the turtles.

Alligators do not normally attack adult humans unless the person is threatening their young (in Momma Gator's opinion, not the human's). They're normally afraid of adult humans because we are so much taller than they are. When I've been on foot in the water in the backcountry, they swim away. In the frontcountry, like at WDW, they become acclimated to humans and lose some of that fear. Add to that morons feeding alligators at WDW (which I've seen dozens of times) and you get a top level predator who's lost its fear of people, who now associates people with food. NOT good.

But a 2 year old is a very different prey from an adult human, and is well within even a juvenile alligator's ability to take.

My heart hurts. I can't even begin to think of how horrific that was for the father. Tears are welling up just thinking about it.

You also have to remember that we are on the Dis. All of us love Disney, so we know about the amoeba and the potential dangers in the Seven Seas Lagoon. We have to step back and realize most people don't know Disney like we do.

Most casual WDW visitors -- esp from the Midwest may not even think of the potential danger. You see a beautifully manicured beach with chairs you feel safe. Yes, you see the NO SWIMMING sign but the casual visitor doesn't know the waters danger. They likely think it's because there's no lifeguard.

I don't fault anyone. I'm just so incredibly sad. Never in that families wildest dreams did they think that could occur. I'm heartbroken for them.

Maybe I'm an idiot but it wouldn't (and hasn't in past visits) have occurred to me that "no swimming" meant you can't stand on the beach with your feet in the water. I don't even think "Danger:Wildlife" would indicate to me that I can't put my feet in the Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake. And don't get me wrong, I am one who generally obeys signs.

It wouldn't occur to me they were trying to convey that message either. Heck, I'd bet it didn't occur to thousands upon thousands of people either. At least it didn't until this horrible event.

I am devastated for the family, but with regards to signage and stuff, I feel like maybe it should have posted the potential hazards.

I am from the Philadelphia area, while I am more familiar with Florida from having visited many, many times, I know that gators are a real threat down there. We did the swamp tours when I was younger on the air boats and got a nice lesson on gators and how they are all over in Florida. Heck, I heard many stories of gators being found in back yard swimming pools. I also wanted to move down a few years ago and visited some chat rooms about Florida living and learned, that if you are looking at houses, try not to get one built on a lake, or at least lake front property, especially if you have a pet, cuz gators are a very real threat. BUT, for people who may not be familiar with all of that, I could see someone being naïve about them.

I have seen a few gators in around the Disney area, one right on the side of a road about 10 years ago, must have come from a river that the road was parallel to, and on Disney property. That made me a little nervous. I would never go near a body of water in Florida, other than a pool, but that is just me. But, since the resort had a beach with public access, I would have definitely gone down to the beach. I would have headed the sign of no swimming, but to me, no swimming means no submerging myself in the water. I too probably would have walked on the shore line with my feet, possibly up to my ankles in the water. Swimming, verses walking ankle deep means 2 different things to me, even knowing the threat of gators as much as I do. That may be stupid on my part, but who ever thinks they will be attacked by a gator at a Disney beach. If it's not safe, I wouldn't think I would have access to even get that close.

With regards to Disney, yes, I feel like we fall into a false sense of security. Not for nothing, but if they knew there were gators in that lake, is it even wise to have any type of beach, with public access, even if there is a sign that says no swimming?? Gators come up on land, even if people don't go in the water at all, they still have access to a beach, where they could come up and get very close to people, why take that type of chance?

I feel anyplace, including Disney owes it to the public to post a sign warning of something as serious as an Alligator. Now unfortunately I feel like Disney is liable. (that hurt me saying that, as I think in this day and age everyone is to sue happy) But I think just to cover their own butts, they should have posted no going in the water at all due to threats of alligators, snakes and brain eating bacteria. It wouldn't make me think less of Disney and I would welcome the warning. Too many other things to do in Disney then to put my family in harms way just to walk along a stupid, man made beach IMHO.

I don't know, again, on the fence about the signage, maybe Disney thinks it will keep guests from visiting? I guess for me I would rather know. I mean look at all the other stupid signs posted all over and on products. For Goodness sake, they had to put caution, Hot Coffee on a coffee cup at McDonalds because someone burned themselves. Um we all know coffee is hot, but there it is. I have seen signs posted at lakes down south warning of the potential bacteria in them. I have seen signs posted on trails at local parks up here warning of dangerous snakes on trails. Disney has signs posted to stay seated on the parking lot tram car! Heck, I can't ride down the pool slide at POR with my 3 year old nephew for some reason, cuz it's dangerous, but they can't post about gators? Just think they should have said, no swimming, Alligators possibly in area or something like that.

This thread made me realize how ignorant I am about the 7 Seas Lagoon. I'm a Yankee, but I lived in Naples on the edge of the Everglades and spent my whole life visiting my Mom's family who have lived in Sarasota since before it was incorporated. I've seen plenty of gators in their natural habitat.

I wouldn't let my kids in the water if it was marked "No Swimming", but I would have thought gators were very unlikely. I was under the incorrect assumption that the lagoon was a man-made lagoon - and while gators are still possible, it's much less likely. I had no clue that it was actually connected to nearby swamp waterways. I also have never heard of this "brain eating amoeba" being referenced here.

My concern would have been isolated to snakes.

I grew up at the shore. "No swimming" meant no lifeguard was on duty. Not the water was dangerous. I believe the signs at Disney say something more specific but none of it matters... being out of the water but still near it would not have protected this baby.

That is exactly what I would take the sign to mean. We live in an area that has gators, snakes of all kinds and other not so nice things in the water. We swim in creeks, rivers, and lakes. Some places aren't marked at all but the ones that say no swimming are usually owned by someone and they are making it clear that there is no lifeguard around or that you are swimming at your own risk. There are some places that it means they don't want you to disturb the fish for the people that may be fishing. My bil has a no swimming sign on his pond (not sure why anyone would want to swim in it but stranger things have happened) and it just means he isn't liable if you swim and get snake bit or drown.

Compare the size of the beaches there at those resorts and then get on youtube and watch how fast AND FAR an alligator can spring from the water in an attack. Then sit and ponder just how lucky you are that we're not judging and discussing a member of your family.

I predict much more explicit signs will go up today.

"No Swimming" does not mean that one can't put a toe in the water. Putting a toe in the water is not swimming. Disney seems to have quietly allowed playing near the water and putting hands and feet in for years. I've seen it many times in our stays at GF, Poly, etc.

That will stop today. The signs at all resorts on lakes will now warn that no one is to go in the water or put their hands or feet in the water or stand, sit or play near the water. The signs will warn people to watch out for alligators and snakes at all times. The signs likely will be lighted so they can be seen at night as well. Lifeguards will be instructed to direct people away from the water who disobey the new signs.

I suspect as well that the lake edges will be redone more in the fashion of the lake edges at the Swan and Dolphin, which make it hard to wade a few inches into the water. At the Swan and Dolphin, you're either in the water or you're on land -- no ambiguity like at the Disney "beach" resorts. I think we'll eventually see the end of the shallow water's edge at the fake beaches so there is less temptation for guests. I don't think Disney will put up fences, but I could be wrong.

Yikes!!!!! Third time in less than a week that I woke up to hear horrible news from Orlando.

More likely.. but it is not that likely for them to hunt humans in the first place. This gator was likely either excessively hungry or excessively aggressive.

I'm guessing it was an opportunistic encounter for the gator, such as the reptile was already close by, heard and saw the splashing, went to investigate, and found easy prey.

I'm afraid of gators as well as snakes which I have heard can enter rooms if they are ground level. For this reason (as well as the fact I don't like to hear people on the ceiling) I always request a high floor.

I live in MD all of our coast line beach water that people travel hours to reach all summer and every weekend is dirty. You can't see your feet once you reach ankle/calf level at most areas. There are tons of seaweed, jellyfish, beach stones, etc. But people flock to these dirty waters to swim deep out into the ocean and bay all day everyday.

Around here no swimming signs are posted every evening when the lifeguards are off duty. People do it every single time anyway though.
Honestly, I must be the most naive person in the world!

I had no idea there was a brain eating bacteria. That just doesn't even sound like a possibility in "America". Sounds like a science fiction novel.

I had no idea every single water way is a possible home to an alligator. My Dh always jokes on our visits "there's alligators in that water" every time we pass any water even the afternoon puddles but never took his sarcasm as a possibility.

I wouldn't think to equate no swimming to no touching the water. Swimming and stepping are not the same actions.

I don't think Disney is at fault but I do think Disney limits the wording on their signs for their own benefits. If they ever had it posted the dangers of an alligator attack or a brain eating amoeba guests would surely stay out of the water but then would they possibly stay away from that hotel entirely? I think so.

Not necessarily. Other Orlando area hotels have signs like this.

IMG_6318.jpg

Have to say I'm surprised how many people didn't know about there being gators in the water. I've always know that and I've only been to Florida a handful of times and live in a different country.
That is why I shudder at the thought of doing any of the water sports they offer. Even when we were staying at CBR I was anxious about the kids being at the playground on the beach.

I too feel very ignorant I am British and thought that the lagoon was a sealed body of water. It did nkt occur to me that gators might be in there! How awful.

We left our ground floor balcony door open to let in some air at AK one evening. Well there was some russling by our bags and my wife shouted holy moly what is that! ( her lanuguage was more colourful ) and raced out the room. Well I am disabled and wondered what on earth was going on. She returns with the resort manager. It was a possum. We had never seen one before we do not get such creatures in the UK. The manager says why on earth would you open your door! Could be snakes out there and cats. The pest control came to removed the possum. But he was long gone. A reminder that us international travellors are really green!

IMG_6318.jpg

This. I don't understand why they didn't have similar signs at Disney. I suspect they will soon. And while no amount of money will bring back that family's child, I think Disney will be paying for that omission.

I do hope they don't end up doing something drastic like fencing the area or removing the beach.

Sad situation but this is what happens when you don't follow the rules. Tough mistake for the parents to learn.

The violent death of your child is not something from which you learn a lesson. It is a horror that destroys your entire life and from which you never fully recover. This just struck me as an extremely callous thing to say about the death of a child.

I'm wondering what visitors to the Haunted Mansion will think today when they see that portrait in the Stretch Room.

IMG_6318.jpg

Exactly! I think we may soon see signs like this on Disney beaches. We should!

It'd be even better if they included pictographs of a snake and a bacteria/amoeba along with the gator. Along with a pictogram of a swimmer in a red circle, crossed out, so that even if you don't speak or read English, you can still get the idea that it's not good to go into the water. I don't think it would have any effect on Disney's bottom line, as people really don't stay at the Grand Floridian in order to swim in the Seven Seas Lagoon. They want to visit the parks!

I'm also dismayed there are still people who haven't heard of Florida's brain-eating amoeba. Or any of the other nasty invisible critters lurking in the water. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-cason-yeager-water-bacteria-death-20150627-story.html This is the sort of info that needs to be shared widely, especially with anyone planning to visit the American south.

For years, I've cringed, every time I see people wading and splashing in the water of the Seven Seas Lagoon, or down by the Yacht Club/Beach Club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter