Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

You are being ridiculous.
I think we can all agree that there is recreational swimming which is what the tubing would be.
Again you are stating that the parents wilfully put their child in danger by ignoring a warning sign.

They didn't break the rule Disney posted, at least as many people on this thread view wading as a different activity to swimming.

If I told you not to run on the beach would you take that to mean you weren't allowed on the beach at all?

So it makes more sense to you, even after ALL the posts in this thread and others around the internet, that Lane's parents were looking for a "technicality" and that's why they let him wade in the water?

Schools have signs and rules that say "No running in the halls". So let me ask you this, how are kids supposed to get to class? If they can't run, they obviously can't walk, right?

If a sign said "No Water Entry", that means you can't wade, swim, jump, or dive. A sign that says "no jumping" means you can wade and swim, but can't jump or dive.

ETA: If Disney truly meant "don't go in the water", why have CMs not reprimanded people when they've seen people wading?

I think many people commenting are looking for a technicality. I mean really posting definitions of swimming vs. Wading?
Being right about whether no swimming means no wading isn't going to being the boy back. It just seems like a ridiculous thing to argue about or want so badly to be right about and yes, it does seem like some people want to be right so badly.
Of course my example were ridiculous because the whole argument is ridiculous.
As far as what I think about the parents, I think they made a bad decision, as parents often do, and will regret it every day. I have sympathy for them and hope they find a way to move forward in a positive way.

Last edited:
I think many people commenting are looking for a technicality. I mean really posting definitions of swimming vs. Wading?

I assume you think the same about "Stop" and "Yield" signs. Despite both being in wide use all around the country, the difference is only a technicality and only one is needed.

This is the statement the parents put out today, the last 6 words I think speaks volumes.
FB_IMG_1466285976864.jpg

Swimming/Wading, we're dealing with people from all over the US, and from all over the world.
We don't have the same notion for the same word.

for many, as for myself, no swimming means "don't go in the water" period.
others make a fuss about discriminating between wading, swimming, jumpings, diving and I'm sure some here could come up with a chart giving a technobabble definition for each water level a body is in, inch by inch.
that's our 'legal' heritage. 'Well, I was not technically/legally swimming, I was merely randomly floating around'

I think we need to go back to common sense. An sign displaying some interdiction means that there is a reason behind it, and most of the time it's danger.

I don't want my kid to go near danger.

I don't care about knowing how many toes it's allowed to put in the water before it's officially considered wading or swimming by the dictionnary (or wikipedia , or an unattainable consensus on an Iternet forum, even if it's called the DIS)
what I do care about is that, if it's deemed unsafe to swim these waters, I don't want my kid in it, be it for his pinky toe.

Now if I may, I'd just like to share my thoughts on those who post pictures of their kids playing in that water, on the same beach. Some saying that they were there just hours before the tragedy, and concluding that it's proof there was no issue with Lane's parents doing the same

I'm quite disturbed by this attitude
Do those parents realise that it could have been their own child ?
Do they realise that if they can 'show off' on Facebook today, it's because they got away with doing something they were not supposed to do ?
In my opinion it's just a way of showing off how smart they are and how rules don't apply to them.

sorry it had to come out.

I think if people were not allowed to dip their toe in the lagoon or walk around up to their ankles, the Disney folks would have someone out there making them get out. As is the reality though, *many* people wade in those waters in front of Disney personnel and have never been told they were doing something wrong. However, if a person does try to actually get out there and swim, they are told not to.

So I don't think those parents did something they were not supposed to.

You've got a bad mix of analogies here, that don't relate at all to what the parents did. They weren't crossing I4 at rush hour. The risk WAS NOT obvious -to them , to millions of other visitors or to Disney itself. That is specifically why you have signs- to warn people of risks that might not be obvious to some.

Thank you for saying this. Totally incongruous analogies.

Also how do you enjoy the sand with no water element with small children. Seems like a place that is known to cater to kids would think sand with no building of sand castles is odd. It isn't like the beach or the CMs made it seem as if it was sand meant for volleyball or dune like where it is fun to just run up and down the hills. They set it up as a fun place to play. They encouraged it with buckets and shovel given by disney. That doesn't not scream dangerous wildlife here.

The pool is right there. That's the water element for the beach.

Being right about whether no swimming means no wading isn't going to being the boy back. It just seems like a ridiculous thing to argue about or want so badly to be right about and yes, it does seem like some people want to be right so badly.
Of course my example were ridiculous because the whole argument is ridiculous.
As far as what I think about the parents, I think they made a bad decision, as parents often do, and will regret it every day. I have sympathy for them and hope they find a way to move forward in a positive way.

That argument works for both side of the aisle.

I assume you think the same about "Stop" and "Yield" signs. Despite both being in wide use all around the country, the difference is only a technicality and only one is needed.

This is probably the best analogy.

The pool is right there. That's the water element for the beach.

IME and many other speaking out all over the internet, CM's were not passing out buckets for sandcastle building expecting the kids to run to the pool to get water. This is not an anomaly. Tons of kids/people were coming in contact with that water everyday as part of their enjoyment of that beach. Actually the first foot is pretty clear and free of seaweed and gunk. Kids were scooping up and dipping their toes in every single day.

This discussion really opened my eyes. To me "no swimming" means "stay out of the water". I can understand now why it might not mean the same thing to other people.

However even if they thought it meant the same thing, a little boy died and no one meant it to happen. I can't imagine the horror and sadness no matter what the parents believed.

Okay, I'm seeing a lot of personal attacks and insults in this thread. It would be nice if you would remove any of those you've posted before we have to clean them up for you.

And let's please be kind to one another, and charitable toward these poor parents who have lost a child.

I understand that in the case of shocking and tragic events like this it is natural to look for something or someone to blame. But this was a tragic, unforeseeable accident. The parents, their friends, other vacationers, the Disney company ALL are reeling at this heartbreaking event. I do not believe any one person or entity is to blame here, and there is plenty of hurt to go around.

So please, no more debate about what "swimming" means to each person, just stay out of the water. And now anyone who was not previously aware knows that there are dangerous alligators in Florida waters. And no more blaming the parents, they were there with the child and will forever be left with the guilt and sorrow of this tragedy.

Be kind. No more arguments or debates. Sharing information, sincere questions, supportive words are all fine.

Last edited:
Our community is really trying to support the family. They are tying royal blue ribbons on trees and mail boxes, setting up meals and babysitting for the 4 year old and trying to find/fund things that they can do with or for her. Several craft stores are reportedly sold out of the blue ribbons. They had a "Lemonade for Lane" event where all proceeds are being given to the family. The event was started by 2 young girls but quickly spread to a community wide event with all supplies donated The church the family belongs to is asking that cards, etc. be sent to the church. So far they have received cards and donations from all over. I have the address(the local newspaper published it) but am not sure if it can be posted here so if anybody would like it you can PM me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter