Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

I use Uber all over the place by myself in my city of 1 million people (I'm also a female). It is extremely safe. We also used Uber last time we were in Anaheim. No issues. For the transport from LAX we just used one of the shuttle vans. We have never stayed onsite, but they will all drop you off at whatever hotel you are staying in.

I live in Westchester (the city where LAX is located), and have had no issues using Uber and Lyft in the area. Just make sure you match the name and license plate. If it’s wrong, don’t get in and cancel. That’s happened to me before. Also you can share your ride with someone so they can watch you as you travel to your destination. If you use Uber or Lyft make sure to choose the non pool options, so it doesn’t take as long. I’m not sure how much the express buses cost but Uber and Lyft can be expensive so that’s a downside to using them.

I've read so many bad reviews about the DRE that I'm concerned about that option. Have you had any experiences using it? Good or bad?
I suspect the bad reviews are comparing it to DME. It's not as good or as convenient but it's not bad. You have to do more work and wait longer. Remember when reading reviews far more people will write when they are upset than will write when they are happy.

Ride share is your best option if money isn't an issue. It's safe and door-to-door convenient.

I probably would have missed my flight the last time I used Super Shuttle from DL to LAX if I hadn't had TSA pre-check. They were an hour late for pick-up from the time I was given, and then we got stuck in traffic. Everyone on the van was getting very nervous about making their flights.

I've done okay with them going from the airport, but I will look into other options for the return. One option might just be to pick an earlier flight to say I'm on. :confused3

I think I'm leaning towards a Shared Ride Service, thanks!

If you search for Super Shuttle promo codes you can often get a few bucks off too. I think from anaheim to lax it usually costs about $20 each way? Can’t go wrong with the price. I haven’t had issues with it being late before but like others have said you could just put in an earlier flight time to give yourself more breathing room.

I think as far as safety goes, you can rest assured with all of these options. I travel solo for work quite a bit, and use Lyft frequently. I've never felt unsafe, and have actually had some lovely conversations and gotten great tips on restaurants or things to do from drivers! It is definitely the most convenient, and works best for me since I don't like to waste time. I'd rather spend an extra hour in the parks versus sitting on the bus as it makes the rounds to other hotels!

That said, the super shuttle and DRE are also very safe and do offer that extra FEELING of safety since you are around other people. So if that will make you feel better, those could be good options.

Just use your street smarts and you'll be good to go no matter which option you choose!

Weirdly, if solo I’d rather use Lyft than my fave shuttle Karmel.

Lyft has you verify the license plate, you should have the driver verify your name. Then verify his.

You can track the route the whole way in the app. I can’t remember or it's a future addition or current, but I got an email about having 911 capability IN the app.

We’re flying in to SNA in November, and rather than wait around for the DLE bus, (we’d just miss it with our flight time) we were going to just hop in a cab to get to GCH sooner. I’ve seen some flat rate pricing for $29.00 to DLR, but I did a fare estimate and it said around $43-50. Has anyone used the yellow cab anytime recently and been able to get the flat rate pricing? I was just hoping to get in a car and go, I’m not an Uber user (we don’t even have it where I live) and am looking for the quickest way to get to the hotel so we can get checked in ASAP... do all of the cabs have the same flat rate? Any help would be great!

Quick look on Ride.guru shows traditional taxi from SNA-GCH at $48, and through Curb (taxi app) at $49. By comparison Uber/Lyft would run you about $24.

I really don't use cabs anymore, unless I'm in a large condensed city like Chicago. There the Taxi drivers know the in's & outs of city driving while the Uber/Lyft drivers only go by their app.

We do take taxi (mini-van) for our group because Uber XL guarantees seats up to 6, but luggage space can be hit or miss depending on the vehicle (usually small SUV with third row and not much cargo room).

This past Spring from SNA I believe was still $50 flat fee (has been for years). Just ask for flat rate to DLR. You might get low/mid-$40s on the meter, but depends on traffic. Sometimes the driver will just tell you "take the meter" because they know traffic is light. And yes, you walk right up outside baggage claim and hop in. Follow the Taxi signs. Wait until you see the look of joy on their faces as you approach. :)

At GCH, ask the valet desk for the flat rate voucher to return. Taxis are lined up at GCH, ready to go. I think it's $5 more on the return (different cab company due to local red tape).

This is what I’ve seen when I was checking out prices/options... I won’t have a return cab ride, because we have some other business in Huntington Beach later in the week, so we have a co-worker picking us up in a rental car. My biggest worry would be getting in a cab and then having some outrageous fee at the end of it, lol... 437224

VERY interesting! I believe Yellow Cab is the one at SNA airport. They may have cut that fixed rate just to try and survive. Note that Anaheim Convention Center is the same price. And also it's around same price as Uber. I hope that proves accurate! Maybe save that and show it to them.

I wonder if Mini-van taxis will have a premium now for more passengers (previously same price).

Don't worry about getting gouged. Once you state "fixed rate" before getting in cab, that's the deal. I've never had an issue at SNA or LGB.

We did the flat rate from sna to knotts it was very quick and easy just walked out the door cross the street and there they are. We tried using the app for yellow cab to go some place that evening and it was a disaster our cab never came yet it kept showing it was on the way we finally had to call the cab company and we almost missed our dining reservations. So do not do the app for yellow cab.

We have paid from the mid $30 range to a max of $43 once. Becasue we are in a hurry to get to the parks, we taxi TO the parks and sometimes Uber back to the airport. But the price difference is so small that it doesn't matter.
People often dont realize that you can get a large van and have extra passengers with a cab at no extra cost. Also, the cabs that service the airport are clean and highly regulated.

I can only imagine how great a solo DL trip would be. Just the ease of navigating and all the Single Rider options! You'll have a great time!!

No one complains when you do Buzz back to back like 15 times because it's end of the night and there isn't a wait time and you actually care about the score.... when you're an adult.... 😬

This is what I’ve seen when I was checking out prices/options... I won’t have a return cab ride, because we have some other business in Huntington Beach later in the week, so we have a co-worker picking us up in a rental car. My biggest worry would be getting in a cab and then having some outrageous fee at the end of it, lol...
View attachment 437224
The flat rate to Disneyland is a good deal. Taxi pickup is right outside baggage claim, while Uber/Lyft has been moved to the parking garage (no longer curbside).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter