Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

BUR has direct connection with Metrolink and with a change at LAUPT, you can take the train to Disneyland and catch ART or take Uber or Lyft to your hotel.

LAX pros:
What can we really expect flying *out* of LAX? I get the horror stories but here are specifics on a Sunday:

Sunday: 5:00 PM departure non-holiday
Uber from DL Resort to departures
Alaska Air Web check-in with bags tagged for bag drop
TSA Pre-Check
Youngest kid 10+. Savings for family = $220

Is it really that bad? We are very familiar with SNA/LGB (arrival is SNA). Considering the dark side LAX due to departure time/savings. Thanks!
No, it's not that bad. You'll uber there. Traffic shouldn't be much of an issue, but do check travel times online to get an idea of how long it takes at that time. Maybe there will be a bit of a backup driving through the terminals. You'll be dropped off at the door and walk into Alaska terminal, there is plenty of room at bag drop, and then getting through security will be quick with TSA pre check. In similar scenarios, I can park at LAX and be at the gate within 15 minutes.

I actually had 2 bad experiences with Lyft on our trip in July. Our feet were tired so I ordered a Lyft from the hotel back to Disneyland for the evening. The driver had no idea where she was going and dropped us off in the wrong location. A Disney employee yelled at us because it was the bus only pull in. Then for our trip to LAX we had a different driver who first got on I5 south (rather than north to 91). Then she missed her exit and had to turn around and go back an exit. Probably unusual circumstances both times, but I'm leaning toward only using taxi on our upcoming trip.

I'm planning a solo trip next year in October but I'm nervous about getting from LAX to Disneyland. I've been to WDW solo, stayed at a Disney resort so had the convenience and safety of the Magical Express for transportation. I'm new to solo travel but I really want to go to Disneyland and this is the only thing that is making me really nervous. I have no one that is interested in joining me and I am on a budget so I will be staying at an offsite hotel.

Should I use the Disneyland Resort Express, a Shared Ride Van or Uber? Any advice is most appreciated :)

In order of safety, if that is you primary concern/question I'd say Resort Express, Shared Ride Van and then Uber or Lyft. Ride.guru Says Uber/Lyft would run you $50+/- each way, depending on traffic.

I always feel most comfortable with shared ride services or the DRE when traveling alone/as a single mom. I always get a little anxious about using Uber these days if I’m alone. But that’s just me.

ETA: the thing I enjoy about the shared ride services is that I’m usually always in a shuttle with other Disney families so it just feels more comfortable all around.

I consistently take Lyft alone around town when I am home, I live in Portland, so a moderate-sized city. I've also done it a few times while traveling. I always verify the license plate and make of the car matches what the app says. I also share my location with a friend or my husband, even if I am not in the same city as them. It just makes me feel better. Sometimes I'll even text someone when I get in the car, and when I get out. Just little measures to make me more situationally aware. All that said, I have never felt unsafe on any of my solo rides. I had one ride with a friend where the driver was a little odd, kept asking weird questions, but I wasn't even alone that time! I think from a budget perspective Lyft and Uber are the way to go, especially from LAX, it's also so fast and easy compared to some of the other options.

Solo trips can be so great! I once traveled to SC by myself for a conference then stayed and did the toursity things for two extra days alone. The first meal alone was a little odd but now I love it! I can only imagine how great a solo DL trip would be. Just the ease of navigating and all the Single Rider options! You'll have a great time!!

Since you are comfortable with DME I think you'll find DRE very similar. They drop at many of the offsite hotels.
I've read so many bad reviews about the DRE that I'm concerned about that option. Have you had any experiences using it? Good or bad?

I used Supershuttle from LAX to my Disneyland hotel and it was awesome as a solo traveler. However I do NOT recommend them for going TO the airport. They had an idea of what time I should get there and would not let me change it. I almost missed my flight! Next time I'm splurging on uber.

I always feel most comfortable with shared ride services or the DRE when traveling alone/as a single mom. I always get a little anxious about using Uber these days if I’m alone. But that’s just me.

ETA: the thing I enjoy about the shared ride services is that I’m usually always in a shuttle with other Disney families so it just feels more comfortable all around.
I think I'm leaning towards a Shared Ride Service, thanks!

I consistently take Lyft alone around town when I am home, I live in Portland, so a moderate-sized city. I've also done it a few times while traveling. I always verify the license plate and make of the car matches what the app says. I also share my location with a friend or my husband, even if I am not in the same city as them. It just makes me feel better. Sometimes I'll even text someone when I get in the car, and when I get out. Just little measures to make me more situationally aware. All that said, I have never felt unsafe on any of my solo rides. I had one ride with a friend where the driver was a little odd, kept asking weird questions, but I wasn't even alone that time! I think from a budget perspective Lyft and Uber are the way to go, especially from LAX, it's also so fast and easy compared to some of the other options.

Solo trips can be so great! I once traveled to SC by myself for a conference then stayed and did the toursity things for two extra days alone. The first meal alone was a little odd but now I love it! I can only imagine how great a solo DL trip would be. Just the ease of navigating and all the Single Rider options! You'll have a great time!!
This is all great advice about using Uber/Lyft. I will definitely keep thinking about it.

I used Supershuttle from LAX to my Disneyland hotel and it was awesome as a solo traveler. However I do NOT recommend them for going TO the airport. They had an idea of what time I should get there and would not let me change it. I almost missed my flight! Next time I'm splurging on uber.
This is super great information for me to know. How long before my flight should I be leaving? I live in Canada so it would be an international flight.

I live in southern California and Uber/Lyft by myself often. I've never felt unsafe. That said, from that perspective, it's not my favorite way to travel. I often use it to get to/from the airport from my house because it's by far the most convenient, but if there were more viable options I would take them.

For your case, I'd probably use the Disneyland Express.

I've read so many bad reviews about the DRE that I'm concerned about that option. Have you had any experiences using it? Good or bad?
I took the DRE this past January, round-trip. It's a pretty good service. That said, a lot of the reviews you read about it are actually about Mickey's Space Ship Shuttle, whose vans also say "Disneyland Express" on them. They're constantly trying to poach passengers at the airport and and on Harbor Blvd. The DRE can certainly take quite a while - it drops off at the Disney hotels first, then circles around and hits all of the hotels on Harbor. On the way back to the airport, it stops for a while at the Disneyland Hotel before it goes to the airport.
That said, SuperShuttle is cheaper, and you'll probably get to your destination more quickly, seeing as there are so many fewer people onboard, meaning fewer stops.

This is super great information for me to know. How long before my flight should I be leaving? I live in Canada so it would be an international flight.
I like to get there early and they wanted to pick up two hours before my flight. I wished I had lied when I put in my time! I called and they manually moved me up an hour. Then the guy was an hour late! It's like he knew better than me. I finally asked him to just let me out and i would run across traffic at the airport with my suitcase to my gate area. I was in tears so he went out of order and took me to my section. I felt badly because it made the other people later to theirs but i was so upset. So i think plan for an hour trip in case of traffic.

I like to get there early and they wanted to pick up two hours before my flight. I wished I had lied when I put in my time! I called and they manually moved me up an hour. Then the guy was an hour late! It's like he knew better than me. I finally asked him to just let me out and i would run across traffic at the airport with my suitcase to my gate area. I was in tears so he went out of order and took me to my section. I felt badly because it made the other people later to theirs but i was so upset. So i think plan for an hour trip in case of traffic.

This is insane for getting from Anaheim to LAX.

I'm actually flying out there on Friday, from the UK and I'm a single older female visitor. I used DRE on my last trip in 2015 and I'm booked with them again. I was impressed with the service last time and I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes this time, it'll be next week as I'll do both ways before I review it again. I was dropped off at my resort last time, but, they pick you up at a bus stop a very short walk away. Im staying on South Harbor Drive by the way, ideal location for DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter