Thinking of buying I have some questions about points

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
I'm a bit comfused about all the points, borrowing, banking etc. For ease of discussion lets say I have 100 points. I want to stay in a villa. So I plan to go to WDW in year 2 so I bank 100 points year 1 and borrow from year 3. But the total point cost (let's just say) is 230 points. So I'll have (in theory) 70 points left over (making sure they're year 3 points - if I'm correct). Can I then use the 70 points to book somewhere and fill in the extra with cash purchase? I'm so confused.

Yes, you would have 70 points left over for year 3 which you can bank into year 4. You can't combine cash with points but there are other options:
1 - you can purchase one time use points - up to 24 points at $19/point which you can use in the 7 month window
2 - you can have another owner transfer points to you - like a rental but you can use these points in their 11 month window
3 - you can rent points from an owner

For ease of discussion lets say I have 100 points. I want to stay in a villa. So I plan to go to WDW in year 2 so I bank 100 points year 1 and borrow from year 3. But the total point cost (let's just say) is 230 points. So I'll have (in theory) 70 points left over (making sure they're year 3 points - if I'm correct).

We spent 10 years with 100 pts with our family. We did almost exactly what you described. Usually we booked a large trip banking and borrowing. One time we ended up with about 67 pts left over, which we banked, but we wanted to bank max points the following year for another big trip. So my wife and I ditched the kids with somebody, booked a studio for about 72 points, purchased 5 one time use points, and took a small two person vacation. We could have borrowed those five instead of purchasing one time use points, but as I said we wanted to bank the full use year for another big family trip.

Thanks your answers have helped a lot (didn't even think about renting extra points!) Gearing up to dive in with our purchase!

Yes, you would have 70 points left over for year 3 which you can bank into year 4. You can't combine cash with points but there are other options:
1 - you can purchase one time use points - up to 24 points at $19/point which you can use in the 7 month window
2 - you can have another owner transfer points to you - like a rental but you can use these points in their 11 month window
3 - you can rent points from an owner
You forgot option 4.

4. Shortly after booking the year 2 trip you quickly realize you didn’t get enough points, like everyone else does. You quickly start watching the ROFR thread and then list yourself on the text notifications from all the resale brokers and get yourself more points for years 1 and 3. Ask me how I know about option 4.

Just to know that you can only borrow points to finish booking a trip. So, in your example, with planning a 230 point trip, you would only borrow the 30 points. Those 70 points can stay in their own UY unless you want to book another trip.

Also, right now, the borrowing is capped at 50%. We don’t know when that will change.

You forgot option 4.

4. Shortly after booking the year 2 trip you quickly realize you didn’t get enough points, like everyone else does. You quickly start watching the ROFR thread and then list yourself on the text notifications from all the resale brokers and get yourself more points for years 1 and 3. Ask me how I know about option 4.
I was thinking about that one also, since I used it eventually. But then it leads to option 5: After purchasing another contract for the points you need, you purchase another one on top of that "just because" :rolleyes:

I was thinking about that one also, since I used it eventually. But then it leads to option 5: After purchasing another contract for the points you need, you purchase another one on top of that "just because" :rolleyes:
Believe me, we are well aware of option 5. We are in ROFR on option 5 as we speak!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter