• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

The rough part is, @4077, that the boats slide out of port in the early evening (which is great to watch) but usually come back in at the butt CRACK :crazy2: of dawn on their return date. I am usually still getting my beauty sleep at that time of the morning. :cloud9:

ED

Last edited:
The rough part is, @4077, that the boats slide out of port in the early evening (which is great to watch) but usually come back in at the butt CRACK :crazy2: of dawn on their return date. I am usually still getting my beauty sleep at that time of the morning. :cloud9:

ED
Yeah… and as I know you are often an early riser at places where you can get some good sunrise shots, the fact that you are not up for that means it IS very early AM returns!

(In my limited 4 cruises experience, I have only awakened once to a slight bump/engine noise of the morning return to debarkation port….and it was around 5 AM-ish when I looked….)

I have only one cruise experience, @4077, and that was enough for me.

But may I remind you, my brother, that we here in God's country are in the CENTRAL time zone so we get an extra hour of sleep. More than you Connecticut folks get in the Yankee time zone. But I DO manage to rassle out of my bunk at the beach and see the sun rise on the coast before I work a puzzle piece or two.

Glad you got to got to eat at Earl of Sandwich. I like that place (out of the ones you mentioned) at DS. We're headed down that way in three months.

ED

Last edited:
Lol, my cruise is in september. My brother was on the one when the waves came in and the tables went everywhere. Still looking for the news covrage, they interviewed them afterwards. My brothers girlfriend cursed on air. Saying something to the effect of how do you think it was? It was the $,@!& worst cruise we ever took. Lol. Only good thing, is I know they can take a beating!

Lol, my cruise is in september. My brother was on the one when the waves came in and the tables went everywhere. Still looking for the news covrage,

popcorn::

hey interviewed them afterwards. My brothers girlfriend cursed on air. Saying something to the effect of how do you think it was? It was the $,@!& worst cruise we ever took.

:happytv:

Spence, I think I know why your bro's GF never made it on tv. :scratchin

Have a great cruise. I'm sure it's a great sailboat. :boat:

Ed

Last edited:

Delaware seashore state park first, camper is packed leaving sunday am. Unfortunately, again the tides were against us for the ferry. So, its the long way around. But all good. This is the last camping trip of the year. Ill post some stuff but the new job set up is taking a lot of the fun out of my life. I may be on in a few weeks for someone to talk me out of early retirement. I have never hated my job in 25 years. I cant say that anymore. Only think is it can't get worse. But , can it get better? Will decide after the next few trips. Got to keep the eye on the prize ed. Relax if I can, bad part about delaware is I will have cell service. So ,probably will take 50 billion calls about and from work. But other then that, all is good.

@Sjm9911 Definitely talk to a financial planner they are great with insight. I mean even if early retirement might be leave where you are at and find work in a related field for the next 3-5 years before full retirement.

I been busy working on my projects. The Mickey cart revival has been going well though reduced speed after waiting on more parts. I hope to have wiring packed up and test drive it later today or tomorrow. I will get some photos once its rolling, right now its a pile of tools and wires.

Phase 1 of the China cabinet turned out well. I am happy with the final finish and re-learned a little about getting an even coat of poly down. I am also working with satin poly so I had to learn its not going to be high gloss at ever angle, just get even coverage. This was the final after 5 coats (had to do a big sanding after coat 2 when I learned from a mistake.)

1659790590683.jpeg

Next up is the bottom cabinet. I already did two minor repairs on it and started the sanding process with the goal of getting this stained today.

1659790684036.jpeg

But the most exciting part of this week has been two fold. First my step daughter is now a fully licensed driver!!! We now have someone to turn to when we don't want to pick up the younger daughter...LOL. And lastly Melissa finally has a new car! We put the deposit down on it knowing it was due mid August, instead it arrived a little early. Its a 2022 Kia Sorrento AWD EX trim level. Melissa is still getting used to 15 years of newer technology from her 2008 Highlander which is now our daughters car.

1659791043268.png

Melissa joked about not wanting to deal with the research, negotiation etc. She just wanted me to show up with the car with a big red bow on it. Well when the dealer offered pictures with the big red bow, she got giddier then a teen.
1659791063556.png1659791147028.png

So now its back to work on the refinishing project so I can make some progress today.

Whew, you got a lot on your plate, @jbrostek!

We handed down vehicles to the kids as they got their licenses too. I felt bad, though, for my last child (DD) who got the former 'Mom-minivan' for her last two years of high school. She was embarrassed about it at first and would arrive early to school and park far away from the building so fewer people would see her and her ride. A Highlander is a respectable ride, though, for your DD.

Gots to keep all the ladies in your life happy. :thumbsup2

ED

PS - love the golf cart work pics

@bama_ed The car shopping was done a while ago, we put our money down and was waiting for it. Originally due to deliver 8/14, it arrived early and we had an agreement to pick it up within 72 hours of being told its prepared and ready. And yes, happy ladies happy home. We gave DD the option of my Tuscon or the Highlander, she chose the car she grew up in. And she knows how fortunate she is to get a car from us even has the country club kids are getting newer and fancier cars.

AS for keeping busy, the other projects have been therapeutic for me after a sudden loss of a good close friend. This is his obituary for those that care for a quick overview of how good a person he was.

The golf cart has chosen to frustrate me. It is a 99 model and sat for a couple years. We got it all setup on a LifPo4 battery pack and it seems to want to go. However, something is up and I have yet to figure out what is going on. The cart supposedly blew out a controller a while back and I am starting to think it actually blew out the motor windings with how its acting.

Here are some shots of the final electrical work.

1659964096702.jpeg1659964120337.jpeg
1659964168845.jpeg

I am going to reach out to Altrax the controller manufacturer today to see if they can give me some insight. I might just need to clean all the contacts in the forward/reverse switch. I am hoping they can set me in the right direction.

Last edited:
This morning I went to check on the refinishing project, the stain looks good. Just still needs some more time to dry in this humidity.

1659970901157.jpeg

1659970926413.jpeg

That area the wont take stain was like that before I started too. I think the wood is just so dense it won't really absorb. It is about the same tone as the original but a little richer using a medium mahogany stain.

Took Whisky to boarding at dinner. Sad she is not here, but glad to vacuum up all the fur. Tomorrow we leave at 5:30 am to head up to Chicago. We are having a service for my dad and my brother on Saturday. Mom does not travel well, so I am extremely concerned and not looking forward to the 12 hour drive.

Pleases send a little pixie dust our way, we are going to need it.

the drive was 12.5 hours with stops. 294 was a freaking nightmare. Hit the south end around 3 pm and another 2 plus hours to get to the north end. I did a pile of research to find a hotel for mom. Thought I did great but one snag is our room is on the second floor. I was not expecting that. She was able to get up the stairs last night, hopefully she can get down today.

eventually going to get up and run but I am trying to wait for it to be warmer, like 60. Seriously it will be so nice for running.

Not exactly true “kickin’” material, so putting this here… got off this AM… spending some time at Disney Sorings for my oldest son’s 16th birthday today. He wanted to bowl and eat at Splitsville, so we are there. Also have him his easily packed present today (tix to Royals/Red Sox game at Fenway next month
… not a fan of either, just to get him to Fenway - he’s a Dodgers fan all the way - but he wants to visit all the parks someday).

Early AM flight home tomorrow out of MCO.

Anyway, the referenced pics:

8AD8A76E-7B53-4FA7-A8E6-98503ED630F5.jpeg
49EAE57C-C7B0-4D08-92E3-38FF8070C283.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter