Not ROFR thread - general discussion

Just make sure you know how many points you "really" want for your first contract, for example you only need half the points if long term only going every other year, but might not want to calculate on the lowest point rooms (where you're competing for stuff the high point people can grab first with Walking) - so look to see "how many" of each room type are even in the system. Buy where you want to stay (for priority), and avoid inappropriate use years (for your typical trips). Nothing worse than getting a good deal, but wrong, contract into Escrow and having second thoughts for 10 days (when your deposit becomes non refundable). Happy Hunting!

Have moved this to this new thread.

But thank you for the advice. I think I need around 180-200 points for 10 days + in the summer in a studio. So June, August use year.

Have moved this to this new thread.
Love the new thread title :) So when you say Summer travel - do you mean June/July? If so, an August might be tricky. If you cancelled a trip last minute in June or July - you would ONLY have until July 31st to use those points before they are gone forever - last minute (within 30 days of arrival) cancellation rules get pretty tough so you want extra time to use the points. For Summer travel, personally, I would look at around a March UY? That means a trip cancelled in July has until February 28th to still use the points. Also give you a little leeway if you book and cancel a trip over the holidays. Just my two cents worth. Honestly, there are a Lot of theories about UY. I think it's more important to have your Resort and Points figured out ;)

Love the new thread title :) So when you say Summer travel - do you mean June/July? If so, an August might be tricky. If you cancelled a trip last minute in June or July - you would ONLY have until July 31st to use those points before they are gone forever - last minute (within 30 days of arrival) cancellation rules get pretty tough so you want extra time to use the points. For Summer travel, personally, I would look at around a March UY? That means a trip cancelled in July has until February 28th to still use the points. Also give you a little leeway if you book and cancel a trip over the holidays. Just my two cents worth. Honestly, there are a Lot of theories about UY. I think it's more important to have your Resort and Points figured out ;)

Being UK based would be August travel. So I was thinking an August use year (DVC guide said this) So if we cancelled would have till July to the next year to use them again.

I do regret not offering on a loaded contract the other week. typical I dint have the finances available at the time.

was $95 200-400-200, So had good rental.

Will feel like the one that got away I guess

I do regret not offering on a loaded contract the other week. typical I dint have the finances available at the time.

I'm on the path to have all of my dues covered by rental points, leaving me with all of the points I want to use for the year due free. I figured it was good math - but I'm finding out there is a good portion of owners that hate owners like me. Not that I care.

For those looking for a "quick and dirty" guide to searching the Orange County (FL) deed recording system:

https://selfservice.or.occompt.com/ssweb/user/disclaimer - that's the place to start

FINDING A DEED:
Under "Advanced Official Records Searching" I click on "Advanced search", then "Advanced document search" A page opens with a number of fields. Best to limit your search to a date range. You can put in a party name if you want. I usually leave it blank and then I'll put in a key word under legal remarks. For example "Saratoga" which will bring up the SSR deeds. Or "beach club" including the quote marks.

TOTAL PRICE PAID:
Some deeds show the total amount paid within the document, others say something like "for consideration of $10.00 and other good and valuable consideration" and don't show the total. If this is the case you can use the Deed Doc Tax amount at the top right and divided it by 0.007 which gets you the total price.

# of POINTS in the deed:
This is contained with the document itself, usually "Purchaser's ownership interest shall be symbolized as ___ Home Resort Vacation Points".

NOTE: the deed does not show if the purchase was for a stripped or loaded contract.

Examples:
I just did a Beach Club search for the past week which brings up 15 total results. Of those, 10 are deeds, the rest are mortgages (buyer is borrowing money) or notices (sometimes related to foreclosures). On any particular deed, you can click to "view" and it will show you the actual deed filed with the comptroller.

There is a deed showing two individuals as grantor and one individual as grantee - so that's a resale purchase. The grantee paid $36,000 for 300 points = $120 pp. Confirmed by deed doc tax at $252.00.

There is one deed that shows Disney Vacation Development as the Grantor, that is a direct purchase. The deed doc tax is $96.60 so dividing by 0.007 shows $13,800. Points are listed as 50 points. So this purchasor spent $13,800 for 50 BCV points = $276 pp.

Oh, don't worry, things are always popping up. I started looking a couple of months before I was ready to buy and had that same feeling of having lost "the one" many times and then something just as good would pop up down the line. We were able to find just the right one for us once we were ready! ;)

Only thing better than chatting here about our endless dvc contracts?? Using them! Just arrived to BCV for the first time as an owner. It was our first contract all the way back from last April and we're just getting to use it today. Did another dvc trip in October but it was a hodge podge of what we could still get elsewhere. So it's unofficially our welcome home visit.

Thanks to everyone who helped share great ideas and guidance to make this visit happen!

And yeah, we've already added two more home resorts since. Be warned, it's a slippery slope!

Last edited:
For those looking for a "quick and dirty" guide to searching the Orange County (FL) deed recording system:

https://selfservice.or.occompt.com/ssweb/user/disclaimer - that's the place to start

FINDING A DEED:
Under "Advanced Official Records Searching" I click on "Advanced search", then "Advanced document search" A page opens with a number of fields. Best to limit your search to a date range. You can put in a party name if you want. I usually leave it blank and then I'll put in a key word under legal remarks. For example "Saratoga" which will bring up the SSR deeds. Or "beach club" including the quote marks.

TOTAL PRICE PAID:
Some deeds show the total amount paid within the document, others say something like "for consideration of $10.00 and other good and valuable consideration" and don't show the total. If this is the case you can use the Deed Doc Tax amount at the top right and divided it by 0.007 which gets you the total price.

# of POINTS in the deed:
This is contained with the document itself, usually "Purchaser's ownership interest shall be symbolized as ___ Home Resort Vacation Points".

NOTE: the deed does not show if the purchase was for a stripped or loaded contract.

Examples:
I just did a Beach Club search for the past week which brings up 15 total results. Of those, 10 are deeds, the rest are mortgages (buyer is borrowing money) or notices (sometimes related to foreclosures). On any particular deed, you can click to "view" and it will show you the actual deed filed with the comptroller.

There is a deed showing two individuals as grantor and one individual as grantee - so that's a resale purchase. The grantee paid $36,000 for 300 points = $120 pp. Confirmed by deed doc tax at $252.00.

There is one deed that shows Disney Vacation Development as the Grantor, that is a direct purchase. The deed doc tax is $96.60 so dividing by 0.007 shows $13,800. Points are listed as 50 points. So this purchasor spent $13,800 for 50 BCV points = $276 pp.
$276pp…. I know I spent $310pp for VGC direct…. and one could argue that the BCV point chart is significantly better and so each point goes a lot further…. but the spread between resale and direct for BCV…. ouch!

I'm on the path to have all of my dues covered by rental points, leaving me with all of the points I want to use for the year due free. I figured it was good math - but I'm finding out there is a good portion of owners that hate owners like me. Not that I care.
I am with you on this, plus we have multiple contract for the home resort booking priority, but we only stay at one or two resorts per year. We are early planners and book 10 to 11 months out for our annual vacation.

Most owners who complain is because they can not book what they want in the next few months, gone are those days and it has nothing to do with renting points out, it has to do with how many points have been sold. For some reason they miss that fact that owners who rent are using their own points and whether they use them themselves or rent them out, this does not change how many points are out there. I get the frustration, as about 10 years ago you could still book Beach Club at the 7 month window. Now, you need to own Beach Club or stalk the reservation system multiple times a day, and forget peak season, not going to happened unless you get super lucky.

Last edited:
I am with you on this, plus we have multiple contract for the home resort booking priority, but we only stay at one or two resorts per year. We are early planners and book 10 to 11 months out for our annual vacation.

Most owners who complain is because they can not book what they want in the next few months, gone are those days and it has nothing to do with renting points out, it has to do with how many points have been sold. For some reason they miss that fact that owners who rent are using their own points and whether they use them themselves or rent them out, this not change how many points are out there. I get the frustration, as about 10 years ago you could still book Beach Club at the 7 month window. Now, you need to own Beach Club or stalk the reservation system multiple times a day, and forget peak season, not going to happened unless you get super lucky.
Yeah we are eye to eye on all of this. We are planners as well. Honestly though, we own all of our points at SSR and don't really have trouble with availability much at all. I am planning on diversifying my point portfolio this year though and adding PVB and probably BLT since both are such good value right now.

I'm finding out there is a good portion of owners that hate owners like me
Depends how one rents their points out that inspires the vitriol. If one is renting dates that are available upon request, I don’t think most owners care.

If one is proactively blocking hard to get rooms / dates to go find renters for, that inspires the pushback.

I realy need to stop looking in the ROFR tread and wanting to low ball to the lowest offer. Probs already been black listed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter