ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Cali Grill and the Castle are very high on my list for two credit places. Artist Point for the ambiance.
For one credit places Les Chefs de France, Cape May Cafe and Corral Reef on at the top. But I'm planning on crossing those three off my list next year.

Cali is a WONDERFUL place. I LOVE it there and would easily go back again even before trying new places. Never done the castle- but looks fun if you like characters.

You're in luck! I'll be doing a big Artist's Point review during this TR. Good meal we had.

Of your 1 credits, I've only ever tried Coral Reef. The other 2 are on my list, but others are higher still. Like Le Cellier and Trattoria al Forno.

The Boardwalk is quite wonderful. I actually will be staying there again on my next trip to WDW. It is one of my two DVC home resorts. I am happy to hear that you loved the new bar there!

I think I knew that; Kidani is the other, right? I"m honestly not sure how I"d choose between those! Both are so nice in such different ways.

The bar was very fun, not as fun as say Trader Sams, but not nearly as loud either. It was plenty comfortable and had some very fun theming.

Easy: V&A and the reason why I haven't tried it: money.

I thought for sure you'd done that just recently, or were going to with Michael soon?

And yeah, pricey for sure, but very worth it!

Besides that the restaurant at Fort Wilderness. Reason: difficult to get to.
But it is difficult to pick. I feel like I have tried all restaurants that I am really keen on and the ones I have not eaten at I was never that interested in. So, none of them stands really out. I could have picked Morimoto, Restaurant Akershus, Cinderella's Royal Table, Yachtman's Steakhouse, Citricos, Homecomin', Crystal Palace, Chefs de France, Rose & Crown, Tiffins, Mama Melrose. They all are in kind of the same league. I guess I have been going to WDW too much... Actually over the last couple of trips Michael and I specifically picked restaurants that I had not tried before (Sanaa, Coral Reef, Nine Dragons) and I feel I am coming to the end of the list of restaurants that I want to eat at. All the ones on my list have some valid reason why I have not tried them yet (mainly either price or the menu does not sound that interesting to me), so I rather go back to the ones I have tried and loved.

Yes! FW is a major pain to get to! Very out of the way and transportation stinks to it.

Of your others: I think Citricos and Tiffins wouldd be at the top. Sanaa was amazing, and I'd eat there again easily if it fit into a touring plan.

Totally get your conundrum. I still have a way's to go on my list, but like you, I think I see myself hitting a point where I would just go back to the ones I'd loved the most. (Cali Grill, Rose and Crown, Sanaa, etc...)

She looks dangerous.

rawr..... LOL!

Probably more alike than we would admit.....;)

Yeah, I think maybe ;)

All caught up and just saw the last update. :jumping1:. Celebration indeed. It was a nice night even with the sprinkles since we were nice and pretty dry under cover.

It didn't rain long, and by our short-sleeved shirts, we were still pretty warm enough. The real fun was yet to come......!
What a great looking group..... but isn't somebody missing??? That was a super night and a great start to mine and Pat's portion of the trip!!! :banana: :woohoo: :drinking1 :thumbsup2

Yeah, I think so!

Glad we could get you off to a rousing start to a good trip! Nothing says, "GO!" like a party!

That was a really long day. Glad it turned into a quiet and fairly uneventful evening deficient of need for photo documentation.....:rolleyes1

Oh... it was a long day alright. But quiet? Ummm, no.

Uneventful? Ummmm..... no.

Photos? Actually, ummm..... yes.

But fear not, I will give equal opportunity to the both of us for rather embarrassing photo documentation.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl....

Hmmm, no on second thought, that's going to make this story MUCH too long. Let me begin again....

Once upon a time, there was this lady who lived in.... no, actually on 3rd thought, I really do need to back up and start earlier.

Let me explain...

No. There is too much. Let me sum up.

It was there, at the local community college, that this young lady took her first class in chemistry. It was hard. The concepts were just too abstract for her to understand, and her grade began to slip to a C. OMG, imagine that, a C in college chemistry.

I got my first C in college, when I had to take my second Physics class (electricity and magnetism). I had absolutely no idea what I was doing through the whole semester. Luckily, neither did the rest of the class, so I ended up right in the middle of the bell curve. I took that C and ran before anyone could change their minds.

It was.... the middle of nowhere. You can Google Qyzylorda, Kazakhstan should you care to.

I thought it was spelled "Crapistan."

VERY close friend #1- Has belly pain. Goes to hospital. Gets strapped down to table, sliced open and has gall bladder removed with NOWHERE near enough anesthesia. She remembers ALL of it. We visit. She is the color of a minion who's eaten too many carrots- they nicked her common duct. She nearly died.

Close friend #2- Goes to hospital (the place everyone knows you go to die) for belly pain. Gets strapped down on table and receives NO anesthesia. They slice her open and take out her appendix with NOTHING, not even a shot of vodka.

Close friend #3- Has Type 1 diabetes. They have NO glucometers, and only limited insulin, and zero diabetic counseling. He died of a gangrenous leg after an amputation.

:scared1::scared1:

This is a good reminder to never complain. About anything.

Did she have what it takes to peform higher thinking skills again?

I'm pretty sure every parent has asked this at one time or another.

It was soooooooo worth all that hard work! Not only because she has a great skill in which to make money to travel with and enjoy, but one that she can take to less developed places and give back to a hurting and dying world.

And we're so proud of you and your accomplishment! Congratulations again!

I think so too! Time to celebrate!!!

:woohoo:

I don't know about you, but when I think of celebrating, great food, tasty cocktails, amazing friends, and top notch entertainment all come to mind.

Bacon and pyrotechnics fit into those categories, so I'm on board.

After a fun-filled day at the Studios, which I'll get to at some point on this TR, we headed over to the Boardwalk via Friendship where we'd planned months before to meet with Pat (@Poolrat ), Marv (@GoofyFan1515 ), and Tanya (@mom3sonstt )- a hugely fun crowd, as you will see...

That's an excellent crew!

Once upon a time, a recent Nursing Graduate forgot to turn her paperwork in to walk her Grad Ceremony. The end.

Thus bringing up that whole "am I too old for this?" thing...

IMG_1871.jpg

Wow, nice shot there!

A side discussion I'd love to have with you: What's the one place that's at the top of your Not-Yet-Tried-At-Disney List? I'm very curious what it is and WHY you haven't been there yet?

The places at the top of my still-to-try list are: Ohana, Olivia's Cafe, and Chef Art Smith's Homecoming. Raglan Road and House of Blues would rank highly as well. And I want to see Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar just because of the whole Indiana Jones thing. So, I basically haven't explored Disney Springs.

"Sorry Ma'am probably 30 minutes." "Ah, ok, please seat us as soon as possible since we need to be at POR by 9:30."

Nothing like a rushed meal!

I mean what party is complete without CLOWNS?!?! I mean this IS the Boardwalk. It is known for clowns, creepy and otherwise.

You didn't need any more clowns. Marv was already there! :rolleyes1

Eventually, after texting a bit, we knew that the others were already at the AbracadaBar getting started celebrating at my Party. At least Pat and Marv were, at a table inside; Tanya would find us very shortly after the 4 of us showed up. It wasn't long before we scored an outdoor table facing the Boardwalk. To say it was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT is a massive understatement. Cute theming here!

I was lurking in my room waiting for the appointed time...not wanting to be too early and seem over-eager, not wanting to be late....boy, first dates are tough! :-)

Gorgeous! I sure don't remember the sky looking like that - wow!

A side discussion I'd love to have with you: What's the one place that's at the top of your Not-Yet-Tried-At-Disney List? I'm very curious what it is and WHY you haven't been there yet?

There's a ton! At MK I think I'm good,
EP I'd like to eat at the one in the Mexico pavilion, but I keep reading bad reviews, and nothing on the menu has sold me on it yet. Biergarten is another I'd like to try more for the atmosphere than anything. I haven't yet because 1) I'm usually alone and don't like eating with a group of random strangers, 2) We ate at a German Oktoberfest restaurant in Busch Gardens several years ago and just didn't care for the food. I've gotten more adventurous since then, and WDW looks like it has more options, so maybe someday and 3) I've been planning my trips around Festivals...with food stands...so I hate having an ADR at Epcot when there are all the neat little food booths available.
HS About the only ones I have been to are Mama Melrose's and Pizza Rizzo (although it's possible we at there when it was Pizza Planet, but I can't swear to it.) I'm going to try to talk Ryne into lunch at Pizze Rizzo this trip....because Muppets! Haven't been too interested in Mama Melrose's
AK - None that I haven't been to already look interesting

Disney Springs - since the renovations there are a bunch that I'd like to go to. But I never take the time to go down there

Actually maybe there aren't a ton... There are a lot more that I'd like to go to again, but keep putting off. Maybe if my oldest son (Sean) and I ever go down there together again I can hit some up. He's more apt to eat a real restaurant than anybody else in the family.

Love this guy - he's one of my favorites!

Yes!! Remember the story of the exploding toilet- the one that still exploded while being plugged by Anara standing on a partially deflated basketball in it? Ahhhh, those were the days, alright

I remember this :scared:

Oh... it was a long day alright. But quiet? Ummm, no.

Uneventful? Ummmm..... no.

Photos? Actually, ummm..... yes.

But fear not, I will give equal opportunity to the both of us for rather embarrassing photo documentation

I'm still kicking myself for not just dumping the scooter and continuing on with the next adventure :guilty:

:stir:

I got my first C in college, when I had to take my second Physics class (electricity and magnetism). I had absolutely no idea what I was doing through the whole semester. Luckily, neither did the rest of the class, so I ended up right in the middle of the bell curve. I took that C and ran before anyone could change their minds.

Probably should have stuck it out and gotten tutoring. But, you know.... 19... a dolt.

I thought it was spelled "Crapistan."

I've been spelling it wrong this whole time:

Qrapistan.

:scared1::scared1:

This is a good reminder to never complain. About anything.

We get our panties in a wad over red cups for (bad) coffee and not enough lap tops in the house. Get real, People!

I'm pretty sure every parent has asked this at one time or another.

I ask it of myself every time I wake up.

And we're so proud of you and your accomplishment! Congratulations again!

Thanks, Mark! And thanks for sticking it out with me all those years! Couldn't have done it without everyone's support and prayers here.

Bacon and pyrotechnics fit into those categories, so I'm on board.

We took care of those on several occasions on different days- just to be sure we had all the bases covered!

That's an excellent crew!

::yes::::yes::

Thus bringing up that whole "am I too old for this?" thing...

Eh? :listen:

Wow, nice shot there!

Thanks!

The places at the top of my still-to-try list are: Ohana, Olivia's Cafe, and Chef Art Smith's Homecoming. Raglan Road and House of Blues would rank highly as well. And I want to see Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar just because of the whole Indiana Jones thing. So, I basically haven't explored Disney Springs.

Chef Art Smiths? I've never even heard of that. Uhhh?

Oh, you would LOVE JLHB! I mean it! It's the perfect geek out place for you!

Nothing like a rushed meal!

I hate that.

OH my....

this is gonna get guuuuuud. ::yes::::yes::

popcorn::popcorn::

I was lurking in my room waiting for the appointed time...not wanting to be too early and seem over-eager, not wanting to be late....boy, first dates are tough! :-)

YOu were right on time! ;)

Gorgeous! I sure don't remember the sky looking like that - wow!

I had to actually leave our table to take that. Glad I did!

There's a ton! At MK I think I'm good,
EP I'd like to eat at the one in the Mexico pavilion, but I keep reading bad reviews, and nothing on the menu has sold me on it yet. Biergarten is another I'd like to try more for the atmosphere than anything. I haven't yet because 1) I'm usually alone and don't like eating with a group of random strangers, 2) We ate at a German Oktoberfest restaurant in Busch Gardens several years ago and just didn't care for the food. I've gotten more adventurous since then, and WDW looks like it has more options, so maybe someday and 3) I've been planning my trips around Festivals...with food stands...so I hate having an ADR at Epcot when there are all the neat little food booths available.
HS About the only ones I have been to are Mama Melrose's and Pizza Rizzo (although it's possible we at there when it was Pizza Planet, but I can't swear to it.) I'm going to try to talk Ryne into lunch at Pizze Rizzo this trip....because Muppets! Haven't been too interested in Mama Melrose's
AK - None that I haven't been to already look interesting

Disney Springs - since the renovations there are a bunch that I'd like to go to. But I never take the time to go down there

Actually maybe there aren't a ton... There are a lot more that I'd like to go to again, but keep putting off. Maybe if my oldest son (Sean) and I ever go down there together again I can hit some up. He's more apt to eat a real restaurant than anybody else in the family.

I think off your list I'd try the San Angel as well, but am itching to dive into DTD deeper as well. So much new and nice there.

Love this guy - he's one of my favorites!

I found it highly enchanting that Ryne knew all the performers by name. So fun!

I remember this :scared:

I think that was right about the time you were getting a brand new (to you!) shiny kidney, no?

I'm still kicking myself for not just dumping the scooter and continuing on with the next adventure :guilty:

Awwww, we sure missed you too! There were silly shenanigans for sure!

He'd better come rescue himself, STAT! LOLOLOL!

L is for: Let's Celebrate with Steppe- Pt. 2 (Dinner at the Flying Fish)

IMG_1901.jpg

At 8:00, after we were done clowning around, our blinky-light thingy went off indicating that our table was finally ready- a full 40 minutes past the time of our ADR. Not a great start to a signature meal. After a long day in the park, and then standing some more watching the Boardwalk evening entertainment, we were grateful to be shown to our table. Perhaps it was because we had told them it was for a celebration, I don't know, but when we were seated.... right in front of the Show Kitchen, we knew we were in for a special evening. It was so close, in fact, that we could feel the heat of the flambe and hear the discussions between the saucier and poissonnier. (Spare me your jokes about "The Poisoner".)

IMG_1906.jpg

The host was quite attentive and made sure our table was adequate and that we were settled in comfortably as he offered us our menus.

IMG_1905.jpg

Very soon, the manager and our waiter, Mohcine, made their way to our table as well. So far, the service was fantastic in every way, and they were quickly making up for their less-than-stellar start. In fact, the manager himself congratulated me on my graduation, and offered to take a photo from INSIDE the Kitchen of our happy group:

IMG_1910.jpg

Bread service was quickly brought to us and our party ordered up their cocktails and drinks of choice. I honestly have no idea what anyone else had, but this was a BIG celebration dinner for me and there was no WAY it would be without a glass of champagne. When you graduate from Nursing School at almost 50, you commemorate the occasion with a bit of bubbly. And to also flair to the function, I donned my Graduation Cap. May as well throw on the Honors Cords as well, yes? I mean, since I missed wearing them altogether at my actual graduation, why not? Properly bedecked, it was time for a portrait.

IMG_1917.jpg

(Ok, fine. It was a snapshot taken by Michaela, but hey, it worked.)

There was the usual jovial chatter amongst friends and family alike, the mild ribbing, discussing the decor and the menu and of course, all things Disney.

From my view, this was the crowd of lovely, lovely people surrounding me on my most happy of occasions:

Tanya, Marv and Pat:

IMG_1902_1.jpg

and Zach, Michaela and Anara:

IMG_1904.jpg

All of us together:

IMG_2722.jpg

While sipping my glass of cheap, $9 champagne, I took a moment to drink in the quite classy decor. Hanging over the long and narrow dining room were several large glass sculptures of what appeared to be blown bubbles. Definitely nice lighting features for the fish-themed eatery.

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Other nice touches were found here and there as well:

IMG_2720.jpg

Soon, a chef came out to talk with Pat about her allergies and senstivities. They are extensive, but I don't think she had any trouble with coming up with an entree that she enjoyed. (Correct me if I'm lying, @Poolrat )

IMG_2721.jpg

At the same time, or nearly so, our waiter also came out and began to take our orders. The others will have to chime in about what they ordered, but as for myself and my offspring I can report- not because I can actually remember what we ate, but because I know I can't remember jack diddly so save my receipts from my trips. (Go ahead... ask me if I still have them from my trip in 2010.)

If you'll recall wayyyyyy back about the time of the last glacial advance, in my Pre-Trip Report, I had made up some little Mickey Head Trip Wishes. One of those was to order and enjoy some cheese and/or wine flights. Tonight would be my first one. Here's the menu:

IMG_2726.jpg

(Please excuse the crappy photo. I assure you, it had nothing to do with champagne being imbibed.)

Say Cheese! $18 of cheese at Disney looks like this:

IMG_2724.jpg

If you think it looks over-priced as well, then you are in good company.

BUT, I enjoyed every single delicious bite over the evening, minus the bits that my progeny shamelessly pilfered off the plate. Love me some cheese. Given my waistline, that is obvious.

Not soon enough to be able to make our next destination on time, our entrees arrived.

Michaela chose this:

Ocean's Bounty Sustainable Fish - harvest vegetable melange, savory potato beurre blanc $44- which the night we dined happened to be tilefish and perfectly delicious.

IMG_2729.jpg

She, as did all of us, ate every single bite, with one exception, which I'll get to.

ETA: She just walked in from work and she said: "Oh that fancy place? Yeah, that place sucked; the portions were TINY and there were no carbs at all on my plate!!!" She is right about the portion sizes! See further ranting below.

Zach, my 18 year old human garbage disposal is also my mini-me foodie. He loves to be in the kitchen with me, and often seasons and taste tests my food. He is quite possibly my most adventurous eater as well. He went with his favorite, (even though we eat salmon pretty regularly (about once a month) here at home):

Ora King New Zealand Salmon - pancetta-laced ivory lentils, wilted varietal kale, Meyer lemon, garden vinaigrette $39

IMG_2728.jpg

I'm a sucker for a good sear. This had it. The poissonnier clearly knew what he was doing.

Anara, is pretty likely my LEAST adventurous eater (because she's my 5th and we are past the point of giving a crap about food fights anymore), but comparatively does better than most 14 year olds in her circle of friends. That is because she grew up drinking fermented camel's milk, salted, dried cheese curds, liver and other mystery organs, and horse meat. Simply put, if she didn't eat that, she'd go hungry. Because in our house, you always get 2 choices: take it or leave it.

Anywho, she hates fish. (If she wants to eat though when I make it, that's what she has to eat. The end. We're such abusers.) So the Flying Fish did not offer a huge ton for her non-fishy preference. And no, I didn't let her order the Wagyu beef at $55. Alas, she had to order:

Free-Range Chicken - zucchini, eggplant puree, heirloom tomatoes, Genovese basil pesto $37

IMG_2730.jpg

She may be little, but she's a pretty big eater, and sadly, this actually ended up being not quite enough for her. In fact, unfortunately the only complaint I have about this place, other than the long wait to get seated was the portions. Let me be clear, our family are NOT big eaters. At all. When going out to regular places here at home, we almost ALWAYS split, sometimes even 3 ways, and while each ordering separate dishes here, it was still truly not enough food. I keep ranting about how they've pared down the portion sizes, but seriously, this wouldn't have even come close to being enough for a 16 year old boy or pretty much anyone else. Also, as a side note, the steamed veggies that came as her side was inedible. You know those tiny little squashes you can buy in a bag at Costco? I bought them once for home and after steaming them we tried to eat them and the entire table of us literally gagged and they all went into the trashcan. They tasted like some sort of chemical preservative or herbicide or something I dunno, super strong. SAME TASTE ON THESE. Exactly. Anara gave me a bite and the squash was bitter and chemically. So, she only had her chicken to eat.

Lastly, for myself I ordered:

Wood-fired Carabineros Prawn, Chilean Sea Bass and Key West Shrimp - Bomba Arroz, Peruvian sweet peppers, house-made chorizo $48

IMG_1920.jpg

Mine, was fantastic! Just excellent. This WAS enough for me, but perhaps only because I'd eaten a crapton of cheese. I loved it a lot and thought the little antennae were absolutely adorable on the prawn.

Overall, the flavors were fabulous and if I were to go back (yes, I would), I'd go knowing I'd have to order an appetizer or dessert to leave sated. The service was excellent as well, and they topped off my magical Graduation Celebration with this:

IMG_2731.jpg

I have ZERO idea what any of that was, so don't ask. It was a lot of artistic smears and blobs of this and that and it tasted great. Hey, it was free, so I ain't complainin'.

By this point, we were in a rather big hurry to get the check and get out so we could head over to POR and have a little goofy, ridiculous fun with Yeehaw Bob. Since his show is loosey-goosey with a very come as you can, leave when you want feel, it wasn't the end of the world we'd be late getting over there. But, I suppose we had to settle up the bill first; dining and dashing is generally frowned upon at Disney and well... anywhere else. (@franandaj , this includes Vic and Al's ;) )

Because they love me, Marv and Pat offered to have their AP discount applied to my meal as well, which saved me $38!!! HOT DANG! Because Disney loves their profit margin, they offered to put $36 in mandatory 18% gratuity on my bill for me. Thanks, Disney, I might have given 20% or even more, but something rubs me the wrong way when I'm FORCED to give something that should be freely and generously given if deserved or I'm moved to. Ah well, it was already totaled, too bad, so sad.

Grand total for 4 people, 3 of whom left a skootch hungry: $210.36. 1 appetizer, 4 entrees, one champagne, and 2 soft drinks. Overall review: MIXED. 1 Thumb Up of Steppe Approval, not worthy of a slobbering Homer.

Join me next time for some rather... ummmm... interesting photos of... several people. I will neither confirm nor deny it could include both @GoofyFan1515 and myself.

Last edited:
Hi
Your graduation portrait in black and white is very good really does you justice as a portrait. I think because there was six of you at the table there is a mandority charge added to your bill for the service whether you like it or not.The food looked good though I think that is one of the problems with signature restaurants the food is cooked to look good and to look good the dishes have to be very small . I don't know why they have to be small.Luky for you that Marvin and Pat had their AP discount to use . When you are paying that much for a meal you should at least come away without needing the need for a top up.Your cheese was definatly overpriced though.But on the positive side you are in Disney Florida the weather is fine your family with you and had a good dis meet the resturant was good when you eventually got your table.A well deserved way to celibate a graduation .

Not exactly a glowing report on Flying Fish. It was on my list of signatures to try. Now it's way down on the list. Especially since I don't like fish and I love carbs. I'd be going for DH who hardly ever gets to eat fish. Yachtsman Steakhouse is more my style.

I am so sorry that the meal did not really live up to how wonderful Flying Fish was in the past. Everything I have read about the restaurant since the refurb has let me to believe that it lost its magic for me. My absolute favourite dish there was the steak which is no longer offered. And the dishes you all had look nice, but not like something I would get excited about. Add to that small portions... I hope this is just part of having to find out what the new version of the Flying Fish wants to be. After the Cali Grill refurb, I read a lot of reviews that to me seemed to have similar issues. When Michael and I returned there for the first time since that refurb in December, we were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the meal was! And portions were really large there!

But I am happy to hear that you were still happy with the meal despite the issues! Loved the picture that was taken from the kitchen!!

I promise I will get caught up soon! Wowzers on your wait for FF! We've always had ( ok a total of 2) spectacular meals there with nearly a 5 minute wait both times. :confused3 But then again we were on the DxDP, so nobody left hungry for sure with apps, entree and dessert all on the plan. I do think their food is beautiful though. Glad you liked it at least, I know you were really looking forward to that one.

I've never tried Yachtmsan or even looked at the menu. Maybe someday...

I really enjoyed Yachtsman. Nice, classy, not overly pretentious. My steak and potatoes au gratin hit the spot. Can't afford to go back very often, but I'd definitely return.

Probably should have stuck it out and gotten tutoring. But, you know.... 19... a dolt.

Tutored+classic+far+side_ecda01_4228618.gif

I've been spelling it wrong this whole time:

Qrapistan.

:rotfl2:

We get our panties in a wad over red cups for (bad) coffee and not enough lap tops in the house. Get real, People!

Amen. Preach it!

Chef Art Smiths? I've never even heard of that. Uhhh?

It just opened a few months ago as part of the Disney Springs re-do. At first it was "Chef Art Smith's Homecoming and Florida Kitchen", and now they seem to have dropped the Florida Kitchen part. Anyway, they have an entree called Fried Chicken and Donuts. I mean...I have to go.

Oh, you would LOVE JLHB! I mean it! It's the perfect geek out place for you!

I gotta check it out sometime. I'm not a heavy drinker and don't generally do hard drinks or cocktails at all, but I'll find some excuse to get in there.

It was so close, in fact, that we could feel the heat of the flambe and hear the discussions between the saucier and poissonnier. (Spare me your jokes about "The Poisoner".)

You're killing me. All I can say is, if somebody orders blowfish, all bets are off.

Very nice shot there! Great group of people!

Hanging over the long and narrow dining room were several large glass sculptures of what appeared to be blown bubbles. Definitely nice lighting features for the fish-themed eatery.

Those are pretty cool!

(Please excuse the crappy photo. I assure you, it had nothing to do with champagne being imbibed.)

That's what they all say.

If you think it looks over-priced as well, then you are in good company.

:wave2:

I do not do well in these types of places!

She just walked in from work and she said: "Oh that fancy place? Yeah, that place sucked; the portions were TINY and there were no carbs at all on my plate!!!" She is right about the potion sizes! See further ranting below.

That drives me nuts about fancy restaurants, especially with the prices they charge. I don't care about the artistic presentation, just feed me! If I spend $50 on an entree and I'm not full afterwards, something has gone terribly wrong.

Anywho, she hates fish. (If she wants to eat though when I make it, that's what she has to eat. The end. We're such abusers.)

Poor kid. I hate fish, too. Blech.:crazy2:

Common complaint: "You never force yourself to eat something you don't like!"
Common response to the complaint: "Well, then you make the dinner."

So the Flying Fish did not offer a huge ton for her non-fishy preference.

Hence, why it does not appear on my "yet to try" list.

You know those tiny little squashes you can buy in a bag at Costco? I bought them once for home and after steaming them we tried to eat them and the entire table of us literally gagged and they all went into the trashcan. They tasted like some sort of chemical preservative or herbicide or something I dunno, super strong. SAME TASTE ON THESE. Exactly.

I think I found the problem: it was squash.
t3JrUDY9oJnOpDz5chOlVRe2RJ2rKlpUVM1pXsL3K377-njuhC6ZQFj5x0QxDncTVcxj7Mrc1Z0dZNA4iiGrNfPH8vjARnAbzqYLWrZc7fB3Wmdld81ERK05ic4sRh02Yfs8fdgWFzFBRsnAiyJ9KradAbtU3zYG2iC2zKi9_MBg5ctoJau0wst0P7wnFFY17U3syI5iTqMageVqNJbBD2M_uOM_r9HftH-t6yOSG_GdxlWl96zQFHZRsVg-T9IE6HGrWzBrJiiF9M5iM_KUQzhHWKyqAhWv2RMlCxlF8BGO_zSBmdMUtzcvh-tovJxVgos9GzlPwmAc5LBlkMs8cZKxdjxOXd58nGTNbBuwl2FFBkmdItEzhbpMdPQFWZH1InrSr05uRE6eP2Lx9gdM_0EGhD_YbFVzr8bWhxqzFgenJxV4NPWJiC4ZrwT3hg68H461Z7924El9AK4KjQHGUqUlexoc1ODC3pTPgtA5lMM_1--I4mIXqWVbXneLDJ7vU5R3kAWWIf7Q_WO90y8e4daQ4hXaMgfXZWrwSFOEdxcaK-C3xixzOoW9NM4e_6U0Q6ztRaNL5daEmd6E5kWeh4_ewyRiPFw_AMs-4DOIHXQSSerZ89xt=w66-h34-no

I loved it a lot and thought the little antennae were absolutely adorable on the prawn.

No antennae on my food, please.

Ok, I need to stop with the uncultured negativity! Despite my preferences, I'm glad that you enjoyed the food. It's a celebration, after all!

Hey, it was free, so I ain't complainin'.

If it's free, it's for me!

But, I suppose we had to settle up the bill first; dining and dashing is generally frowned upon at Disney and well... anywhere else. (@franandaj , this includes Vic and Al's ;) )

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Because Disney loves their profit margin, they offered to put $36 in mandatory 18% gratuity on my bill for me. Thanks, Disney, I might have given 20% or even more, but something rubs me the wrong way when I'm FORCED to give something that should be freely and generously given if deserved or I'm moved to.

That annoys me, too. How about I decide how good the service was? I love to tip generously, too. Most of those servers need it.

Overall review: MIXED. 1 Thumb Up of Steppe Approval, not worthy of a slobbering Homer.

Sorry it didn't quite hit a home run. But I'm glad it was a passing grade, at least.

My contribution to show and tell

IMG_8661 (1).JPG

From AbracadaBar I had...
Pepper's Ghost - don't be surprised if you detect spirits and flavors that aren't meant to be seen; Ciroc Pineapple Vodka, Habanero Lime $12

I don't drink much alcohol and thought maybe Pineapple Vodka would be somewhat fruity. This was very good, although somewhat stronger than I am used to (picture fruit juice with a splash of something with a little alcohol in it) And truth be told - I think I still owe Marv for the drink. :scared: If I recall we realized it was time for our reservation, so while we hurried next door to check in, Marv waited for our server and settled up the bill. Of course, as Queen Steppe has said, there was really no rush since it was another 40 minutes or so until we were seated.

IMG_8662 (1).JPG

Bread service at Flying Fish. Did we decide that was seaweed in the bread? It was good, whatever it was.

IMG_8663.JPG

Planch-Seared Hokkaido Scallops - Antebellum grits, English peas, peppadew emulsion $43.....They must have changed the recipe/write up since last fall unless "English peas" are the equivalent of "American corn" :rolleyes:. I also see some sort of fruity drink behind my plate, but whatever it was is not on the menu anymore. Now they show mostly coffee and chocolate cocktails.

IMG_8664.JPG

While you all were Yee Hawing with Bob, I hooked up with this good lookin' fella....the one on the right :rolleyes1 And watched a couple more Boardwalk performers (such as the good lookin' fella on the left)

Pepper's Ghost - don't be surprised if you detect spirits and flavors that aren't meant to be seen; Ciroc Pineapple Vodka, Habanero Lime $12

I don't drink much alcohol and thought maybe Pineapple Vodka would be somewhat fruity. This was very good, although somewhat stronger than I am used to

Looks great!!

Planch-Seared Hokkaido Scallops - Antebellum grits, English peas, peppadew emulsion $43.....They must have changed the recipe/write up since last fall unless "English peas" are the equivalent of "American corn" :rolleyes:. I also see some sort of fruity drink behind my plate, but whatever it was is not on the menu anymore. Now they show mostly coffee and chocolate cocktails.

Does this sound more like it?
Plancha-seared Hokkaido Scallops
Antebellum Grits, Brentwood Sweet Corn, Peppadew Emulsion

Seems like the corn is fancier than just being "American".

I got it from here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/flying-fish-cafe/menus/dinner/nov2016.htm There they keep the previous menus and that is the description of the scallops from November 2016. They also have plenty of fruity cocktails on that menu.

regardless, no one leaves without this photo. Especially when they have 2 lovely models to pose for it.

IMG_1860.jpg

You won't believe this, but I did not get this photo! But I didn't have those lovely models to pose for me either.

Let's take a gander at our Party Crew and their view as they sat together enjoying a simply delicious time together:

IMG_1863.jpg

Great photo! What a crew!

I chose The Flying Fish because I don't really cook fish at home a whole ton and adore it, and I'd had seen some absolutely fabulous reviews (thank you @glennbo123 and @Flossbolna !!).

Oh boy, the pressure's on.

I mean what party is complete without CLOWNS?!?! I mean this IS the Boardwalk. It is known for clowns, creepy and otherwise.

Boardwalk-Inn-And-Villas-023.jpg

images

Okay, I did get these photos! Whew!

our table was finally ready- a full 40 minutes past the time of our ADR. Not a great start to a signature meal.

My better-half would not have been happy!

It was so close, in fact, that we could feel the heat of the flambe

Or just menopause maybe. ;)

In fact, the manager himself congratulated me on my graduation, and offered to take a photo from INSIDE the Kitchen of our happy group:

IMG_1910.jpg

How cool! Great photo!

Soon, a chef came out to talk with Pat about her allergies and senstivities.

Oh man, that'll take forever. You'll never get over to Yeehaa Bob now! Just kidding Pat!

I know I can't remember jack diddly so save my receipts from my trips.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Say Cheese! $18 of cheese at Disney looks like this:

IMG_2724.jpg

Whoa! That's a LOT LESS than what we got for the cheese plate appetizer a couple of years ago! We passed ours around so that everyone could get a taste...amongst 7 people! I mean, they were tiny, tiny tastes, but still.

ETA: She just walked in from work and she said: "Oh that fancy place? Yeah, that place sucked; the portions were TINY and there were no carbs at all on my plate!!!" She is right about the potion sizes! See further ranting below.

Oh no!!! My fears have been realized.

They tasted like some sort of chemical preservative or herbicide or something I dunno, super strong. SAME TASTE ON THESE. Exactly. Anara gave me a bite and the squash was bitter and chemically. So, she only had her chicken to eat.

I hope you complained. Doesn't sound like you did. You really should have, I'm sure they would've brought something else out for her. There's no reason you should pay that much and have her not enjoy every single bite. I'd think they would want to hear that criticism as well.

Mine, was fantastic! Just excellent.

Okay, whew, at least one good review.

I was disappointed to see that when they remodeled the restaurant, they remodeled the menu as well and removed the potato-wrapped red snapper that I had and LOVED! That dish was awesome. I was surprised that they removed it because the restaurant was kind of known for that dish. Strange.

Hi Tanya!

I think James got the scallops as well when we ate there. He loved them, but this dish didn't have a whole lot of stick-to-your-ribs either, and he was the one person who might've still been a little hungry. It think Lauren shared some of hers with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter