ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

I was disappointed to see that when they remodeled the restaurant, they remodeled the menu as well and removed the potato-wrapped red snapper that I had and LOVED! That dish was awesome. I was surprised that they removed it because the restaurant was kind of known for that dish. Strange.

I absolutely agree! The two dishes they were known for were the potato-wrapped snapper and the char crusted New York Strip. Both are gone now. I don't get it.

Looks great!!

Does this sound more like it?
Plancha-seared Hokkaido Scallops
Antebellum Grits, Brentwood Sweet Corn, Peppadew Emulsion

Seems like the corn is fancier than just being "American".

I got it from here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/flying-fish-cafe/menus/dinner/nov2016.htm There they keep the previous menus and that is the description of the scallops from November 2016. They also have plenty of fruity cocktails on that menu.

Yes! That's it....and with your menu link, I'm pretty sure my "fruity drink" was

Pacific Island Punch
Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, Disaronno Originale, Guava-Papaya-Pineapple-Mango Juices topped with Brûléed Banana
$10.75

Hi Tanya!

I think James got the scallops as well when we ate there. He loved them, but this dish didn't have a whole lot of stick-to-your-ribs either, and he was the one person who might've still been a little hungry. It think Lauren shared some of hers with him.

:wave2: Hi Glenn!

The scallops were clean-your-plate good! But I had checked out the menu and as many pictures as I could beforehand (I'm the most adventurous eater in the family....but they don't venture much further than cow and chicken, so that's not saying too much!) Ryne and I had spent the day at Hollywood Studios and I had a Chicken Caesar salad (yum!) and a carrot cake cupcake (not as yum) for lunch, so under the circumstances, it was enough.

You didn't need any more clowns. Marv was already there! :rolleyes1
HEY! I, uh...........well, I mean........umm, you know I..........

Oh, never mind! :( :headache: :crazy: :blush:

Join me next time for some rather... ummmm... interesting photos of... several people. I will neither confirm nor deny it could include both @GoofyFan1515 and myself.
Well, you did say "a little goofy, ridiculous fun....." :rolleyes1:goofy:

I think I had the Salmon also at FF! The picture you posted looked very familiar. I remember being very happy with my choice regardless. I'm not certain, and I'm sure Pat will chime in, but maybe she had the scallops and then we shared each so we both had a little variety. That's typical for our meals out. :love:

It was so close, in fact, that we could feel the heat of the flambe and hear the discussions between the saucier and poissonnier. (Spare me your jokes about "The Poisoner".)
Gee, way to take the wind out of my sails. It's hard to resist a good Dad joke.

Do I at least get to ask if the other guys was saucy, or did he seem nice?

When you graduate from Nursing School at almost 50, you commemorate the occasion with a bit of bubbly. And to also flair to the function, I donned my Graduation Cap. May as well throw on the Honors Cords as well, yes? I mean, since I missed wearing them altogether at my actual graduation, why not? Properly bedecked, it was time for a portrait.
You know, I don't know if I have actually said it before, and if I have it deserves saying again - Congratulations! I think it awesome that you went back to do something you enjoy and put in all the hard work. That's a great picture, too!

Say Cheese! $18 of cheese at Disney looks like this:
Hmmm, that does seem a little on the sparse side. I rarely order any cheese plates. I enjoy cheese, but I'm always confused by brie. So I have an honest question. Do you eat the white rind on brie type cheese? I have had brie before and I enjoy the inside, but I find the rind has a sour taste. So in the past I've eaten out the middle and left the rind, which seems like a waste and very "uncouth".

Thanks, Disney, I might have given 20% or even more, but something rubs me the wrong way when I'm FORCED to give something that should be freely and generously given if deserved or I'm moved to. Ah well, it was already totaled, too bad, so sad.
This bugs me too. I know they automatically add it for tables of 6 or more, but I don't like it. I ran into this a few years ago when I was in WDW with my parents, so there were always 6 at the table. Yet they still go through the process of asking for additional tip on the scanner, despite already adding the 18%. I just find it awkward.

Hey Friends,

Replies will have to wait until Friday. I have a long shift at work tomorrow, the first in far too long and am grateful for as I really need the money, so can't until then. But your comments are fun; the banter has been particularly awesome lately! So keep that up! I am reading, just can't post much.

What a great way to start your night, with a fun meet up!
I believe our cheese plate when we ate at FF had about 2 or 3 more cheeses - I do not see my favorite on yours. Anyway, it was $24 if my memory serves, which it probably doesn't. My kids call me Dory. :rotfl:
ITA about the mandatory tipping. I will give 20% for good service. If they add 18% automatically, that's what they get.
it sounds like you had a great evening, even if a little disappointed. Our review of FF was that it was alot of Hoopla and fanciness for a small mediocre meal. I am glad we tried it, but we probably won't return.
I'm glad for your shift today, hope it goes well!

And we always love to see you check in!! Hopefully, in the not too distant future, there will be more world traveling to read about!
I hate that I never finished my last TR. It grates one me. I've sat down a half dozen times to try to do a "fast blast" finale, and every time I wind up shelving it. I've been back again since that trip, and there is a good chance we will be back next year. But alas, the days have gotten crazy. Life with 2 teenagers who have evening activities keeps me running. But every time I find myself frustrated at having to run from cheer to band to gymnastics to church to whatever school event happens to be going on that night, I remind myself that in a few short years, I won't have anyone left at home who needs running around and suddenly I don't mind so much. I figure once the girls are in college, my DIS time will be back where it once was. Maybe then I can do another multi-trip report.

IMG_1871.jpg

LOVE these shots! Well done!
Lastly, for myself I ordered:

Wood-fired Carabineros Prawn, Chilean Sea Bass and Key West Shrimp - Bomba Arroz, Peruvian sweet peppers, house-made chorizo $48

IMG_1920.jpg

Mine, was fantastic! Just excellent. This WAS enough for me, but perhaps only because I'd eaten a crapton of cheese. I loved it a lot and thought the little antennae were absolutely adorable on the prawn.
That does look tasty. But I definitely would leave hungry. I agree on the added gratuity angst. It does irritate me when Disney does that. And 210 and change seems awfully pricey for the portions you got.

Last edited:
Wow what a fabulous time in Flying Fish. Sorry they were late but they made up for it! That menu. Your cheese looks great.

I love all those entrees. I adore fish. Free dessert yeah. Lovely photos. Congrats tonight on your graduation! Great way to celebrate.

Flying Fish - looks delicious, but, man, those portion sizes! And those portion sizes, at those prices! Looks like you enjoyed yourselves, at least!

Hi
Your graduation portrait in black and white is very good really does you justice as a portrait. I think because there was six of you at the table there is a mandority charge added to your bill for the service whether you like it or not.The food looked good though I think that is one of the problems with signature restaurants the food is cooked to look good and to look good the dishes have to be very small . I don't know why they have to be small.Luky for you that Marvin and Pat had their AP discount to use . When you are paying that much for a meal you should at least come away without needing the need for a top up.Your cheese was definatly overpriced though.But on the positive side you are in Disney Florida the weather is fine your family with you and had a good dis meet the resturant was good when you eventually got your table.A well deserved way to celibate a graduation .

Hey Stuart,

Yes, that's correct. Parties over 6 "get" to pay 18%. Ridiculous. A tip is supposed to be just that.

I thought the flavors, with the exception of the squash, were amazing! But why not add a heap of just as excellent mashed potatoes or rice au gratin or...? You know... carb it up, Baby!

Had we known the mains would have been skimpy, we'd have asked for WAY more bread. You're right, when you pay an average of $50 for a meal, they'd BETTER be sending you full to bursting. But, yep, in the end, it was a fun time with friends and family in a very nice place. Life was pretty good that night!

Not exactly a glowing report on Flying Fish. It was on my list of signatures to try. Now it's way down on the list. Especially since I don't like fish and I love carbs. I'd be going for DH who hardly ever gets to eat fish. Yachtsman Steakhouse is more my style.

They have a pork, beef and chicken dishes that you actually might like. And I'm sure you could order a carby side to tank up with. :) Hope you get to try the Yachtsman sometime- not been there myself, but have seen good reviews.

I am so sorry that the meal did not really live up to how wonderful Flying Fish was in the past. Everything I have read about the restaurant since the refurb has let me to believe that it lost its magic for me. My absolute favourite dish there was the steak which is no longer offered. And the dishes you all had look nice, but not like something I would get excited about. Add to that small portions... I hope this is just part of having to find out what the new version of the Flying Fish wants to be. After the Cali Grill refurb, I read a lot of reviews that to me seemed to have similar issues. When Michael and I returned there for the first time since that refurb in December, we were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the meal was! And portions were really large there!

But I am happy to hear that you were still happy with the meal despite the issues! Loved the picture that was taken from the kitchen!!

Such a shame! You'd think a place would get better, not worse after a lot of re-thinking and work went into it. I really hope the Cali is good the next time I go back! I love that place! Good to know that maybe improvements have been made since the not-so-glowing reviews you read.

I promise I will get caught up soon! Wowzers on your wait for FF! We've always had ( ok a total of 2) spectacular meals there with nearly a 5 minute wait both times. :confused3 But then again we were on the DxDP, so nobody left hungry for sure with apps, entree and dessert all on the plan. I do think their food is beautiful though. Glad you liked it at least, I know you were really looking forward to that one.

Hey Kelly! :)

Yeah, the wait sucked. I'm really sad that at one time it got rave reviews and has gone downhill- especially after a big refurb! The presentation was indeed gorgeous and I admit the flavors nice.

I really enjoyed Yachtsman. Nice, classy, not overly pretentious. My steak and potatoes au gratin hit the spot. Can't afford to go back very often, but I'd definitely return.

I think I need to put YS on my list. I do love a well prepared steak, and the ambiance looks quite nice! Now that I've knocked off FF, and many others from my list, time to find new places once again.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

It just opened a few months ago as part of the Disney Springs re-do. At first it was "Chef Art Smith's Homecoming and Florida Kitchen", and now they seem to have dropped the Florida Kitchen part. Anyway, they have an entree called Fried Chicken and Donuts. I mean...I have to go.

I just can't do savory and sweet- I gave chicken and waffles a good old college try and nope. Just can't bring myself to like it. In looking at the menus, I think I'd do the shrimp and grits if I ever found myself there.

I gotta check it out sometime. I'm not a heavy drinker and don't generally do hard drinks or cocktails at all, but I'll find some excuse to get in there.

Go in a get a Coke. And take a lot of pix; no one's gonna think twice.

You're killing me. All I can say is, if somebody orders blowfish, all bets are off.

:lmao:

That drives me nuts about fancy restaurants, especially with the prices they charge. I don't care about the artistic presentation, just feed me! If I spend $50 on an entree and I'm not full afterwards, something has gone terribly wrong.

Exactly! FEED THE PEOPLE!!!!

Poor kid. I hate fish, too. Blech.:crazy2:

Common complaint: "You never force yourself to eat something you don't like!"
Common response to the complaint: "Well, then you make the dinner."

Puh-leeze. Can we please speak in realities?

I think I found the problem: it was squash.
t3JrUDY9oJnOpDz5chOlVRe2RJ2rKlpUVM1pXsL3K377-njuhC6ZQFj5x0QxDncTVcxj7Mrc1Z0dZNA4iiGrNfPH8vjARnAbzqYLWrZc7fB3Wmdld81ERK05ic4sRh02Yfs8fdgWFzFBRsnAiyJ9KradAbtU3zYG2iC2zKi9_MBg5ctoJau0wst0P7wnFFY17U3syI5iTqMageVqNJbBD2M_uOM_r9HftH-t6yOSG_GdxlWl96zQFHZRsVg-T9IE6HGrWzBrJiiF9M5iM_KUQzhHWKyqAhWv2RMlCxlF8BGO_zSBmdMUtzcvh-tovJxVgos9GzlPwmAc5LBlkMs8cZKxdjxOXd58nGTNbBuwl2FFBkmdItEzhbpMdPQFWZH1InrSr05uRE6eP2Lx9gdM_0EGhD_YbFVzr8bWhxqzFgenJxV4NPWJiC4ZrwT3hg68H461Z7924El9AK4KjQHGUqUlexoc1ODC3pTPgtA5lMM_1--I4mIXqWVbXneLDJ7vU5R3kAWWIf7Q_WO90y8e4daQ4hXaMgfXZWrwSFOEdxcaK-C3xixzOoW9NM4e_6U0Q6ztRaNL5daEmd6E5kWeh4_ewyRiPFw_AMs-4DOIHXQSSerZ89xt=w66-h34-no

That has always been one of my very favorite smilies. So funny! (And so useful for so many occasions!

No antennae on my food, please.

Ok, I need to stop with the uncultured negativity! Despite my preferences, I'm glad that you enjoyed the food. It's a celebration, after all!

I have no problem with differing opinions.

That annoys me, too. How about I decide how good the service was? I love to tip generously, too. Most of those servers need it.

There ya go!! I'd have likely gone with 20% in this case.

From AbracadaBar I had...
Pepper's Ghost - don't be surprised if you detect spirits and flavors that aren't meant to be seen; Ciroc Pineapple Vodka, Habanero Lime $12

OH MAN! That sounds amazing! And dangerous! I'd be afraid those would go down wayyyy to easy!

And truth be told - I think I still owe Marv for the drink. :scared:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Too funny!

Bread service at Flying Fish. Did we decide that was seaweed in the bread? It was good, whatever it was.

Yes, I think you're right! It was absolutely delicious!

While you all were Yee Hawing with Bob, I hooked up with this good lookin' fella....the one on the right :rolleyes1 And watched a couple more Boardwalk performers (such as the good lookin' fella on the left)

Lucky you! ::yes::

You won't believe this, but I did not get this photo! But I didn't have those lovely models to pose for me either.

You're right! I don't believe it! This is the gold standard for Boardwalk TR'ing. ;) And you know, your own girls would be quite lovely posing for you right there!

Oh boy, the pressure's on.

You know it!

Okay, I did get these photos! Whew!

You saved your bacon by that much!

My better-half would not have been happy!

EEK! Does she get the hangries?

Or just menopause maybe. ;)

39 year olds don't do that!

(Ok, fine, but how did you KNOW?!)

Oh man, that'll take forever. You'll never get over to Yeehaa Bob now! Just kidding Pat!

Coming from one who knows....

I see nothing wrong with that.

Of course you don't. I stole the idea from YOU!

Whoa! That's a LOT LESS than what we got for the cheese plate appetizer a couple of years ago! We passed ours around so that everyone could get a taste...amongst 7 people! I mean, they were tiny, tiny tastes, but still.

Well, don't I feel royally gypped now.

I hope you complained. Doesn't sound like you did. You really should have, I'm sure they would've brought something else out for her. There's no reason you should pay that much and have her not enjoy every single bite. I'd think they would want to hear that criticism as well.

I probably should have. I would hope that they have some Millennial reading TRs and reviews and giving feedback, but yeah, I should have written a letter and and ranted a little- in a tactful, professional way, of course.

I was disappointed to see that when they remodeled the restaurant, they remodeled the menu as well and removed the potato-wrapped red snapper that I had and LOVED! That dish was awesome. I was surprised that they removed it because the restaurant was kind of known for that dish. Strange.

RIGHT?! I had my eye on that Snapper for quite a while and it was part of the reason I was attracted to the place first of all. It did seem strange.

HEY! I, uh...........well, I mean........umm, you know I..........

Oh, never mind! :( :headache: :crazy: :blush:

We love you, Marv. :)

Well, you did say "a little goofy, ridiculous fun....." :rolleyes1:goofy:

I think I had the Salmon also at FF! The picture you posted looked very familiar. I remember being very happy with my choice regardless. I'm not certain, and I'm sure Pat will chime in, but maybe she had the scallops and then we shared each so we both had a little variety. That's typical for our meals out. :love:

It was ridiculous fun.

I like to do that too! :) Variety is the way to go!

Gee, way to take the wind out of my sails. It's hard to resist a good Dad joke.

Do I at least get to ask if the other guys was saucy, or did he seem nice?

Hmmm, a saucy saucier? Interesting concept. Not sure I'd have minded finding out.... ;)

You know, I don't know if I have actually said it before, and if I have it deserves saying again - Congratulations! I think it awesome that you went back to do something you enjoy and put in all the hard work. That's a great picture, too!

Thanks a ton, Jeff! It was worth it; every time I walk into work, I feel it!

Hmmm, that does seem a little on the sparse side. I rarely order any cheese plates. I enjoy cheese, but I'm always confused by brie. So I have an honest question. Do you eat the white rind on brie type cheese? I have had brie before and I enjoy the inside, but I find the rind has a sour taste. So in the past I've eaten out the middle and left the rind, which seems like a waste and very "uncouth".

Okay, here's an honest answer...

You can eat it, or not, up to you: you are supposed to. If it smells very strongly of ammonia the cheese is just a bit too ripe but it won't do you any harm. ... The rind of Brie cheese, as well as other soft cheeses like Camambert, Boursault, etc, are generally edible.

Took that off the web, and it's exactly what I'd have said. I typically DO eat it; I enjoy it. Yes, it's stronger, but if paired with fig or honey, it's really nice. Have you eaten it heated? Mmmm!

This bugs me too. I know they automatically add it for tables of 6 or more, but I don't like it. I ran into this a few years ago when I was in WDW with my parents, so there were always 6 at the table. Yet they still go through the process of asking for additional tip on the scanner, despite already adding the 18%. I just find it awkward.

... and then to ask for more? Uhh, just no. They've taken the decision out of the consumer's hands at that point, so.... yep, they're stuck with 18%.

Wow, I sure enjoyed the Flyin Fish report! Too bad that they have slimmed down the portions so much. I remember the first time we were on the QS Dining Plan, we absolutely could not keep up with the amount of food. The second time we did better, mainly because of the reduction down to 1 snack per day versus 2. I had always been leery of trying table service because I was afraid of even larger portions in the Florida heat, but apparently the portion sizes have decreased enough that my appetite could handle it. I'm not sure if I will be getting to signature restaurants on the next trip - right now on my hope to do list is The Plaza at MK and The Hollywood Brown Derby.

I'm so glad you liked it! :) I tried to be honest and fair. Funny, we used to complain a bit about the portion sized being OBSCENELY huge in 2010-2011 era. We like to order a variety and share, but with them so huge back then, we had to split or throw A LOT of food away. Now it's the opposite issue. I LOVE The Brown Derby. For many, many reasons. I think I was born in the wrong decade. :( The 40s fascinate me to no end and this screams, 20's-40's Dinner Club. I wish they'd add a dance floor and have live Big Band going on there during dinner.

What a great way to start your night, with a fun meet up!
I believe our cheese plate when we ate at FF had about 2 or 3 more cheeses - I do not see my favorite on yours. Anyway, it was $24 if my memory serves, which it probably doesn't. My kids call me Dory. :rotfl:
ITA about the mandatory tipping. I will give 20% for good service. If they add 18% automatically, that's what they get.
it sounds like you had a great evening, even if a little disappointed. Our review of FF was that it was alot of Hoopla and fanciness for a small mediocre meal. I am glad we tried it, but we probably won't return.
I'm glad for your shift today, hope it goes well!

If it's had 2 or 3 more cheeses and we could have passed it around, I'd totally have paid $24 for it. I'm glad I have mostly agreement here re. tipping. It's silly. I agree with your review, but I do think I'd go back. HOWEVER, NOT before trying some other places like Tratorria and maybe Morimoto. I got called in for Friday too, and things are FINALLY looking up with more business. My manager thinks we've turned the corner and I should be working more soon. It's been a rough go the last few months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter