Teachers: What gifts did you receive?

My kids are older now but we always gave teachers Christmas gifts even if it was something small. We always appreciated the job they do and in no way was a gift a bribe or anything, geez some people need to get a life. It sure sounds like someone dislikes teachers.

Oh and heaven forbid but I also coordinated an end of year gift for most of my daughters teachers! ::yes::

oh and my husband is a police officer and we still gave teacher gifts! yikes

My kids are older now but we always gave teachers Christmas gifts even if it was something small. We always appreciated the job they do and in no way was a gift a bribe or anything, geez some people need to get a life. It sure sounds like someone dislikes teachers.

Oh and heaven forbid but I also coordinated an end of year gift for most of my daughters teachers! ::yes::

oh and my husband is a police officer and we still gave teacher gifts! yikes

But...but... that's so reasonable and kind!! :confused3

:thumbsup2

If a child does K -12, has one teacher per year through middle school, and six per year in high school, that would be 33 teachers not counting any extras for things like band, chorus, art, etc. The odds of all 33 teachers being so horrible that you now hate all teachers seems very unlikely. If every single one of those teachers failed you or your child, I'm guessing the probability is likely higher that it is the student and not the teacher.

I have not said anything rude and I do not like you calling me rude. Isn't there a DIS law about name calling?

My husband is a cop. If he took "gifts" as thanks for his job he would be fired. As he should be. People in public service who accept gifts can be biased. Teachers are no different. My opinion.

And if your husband was allowed and did receive gifts would you feel less harshly about teachers doing the same? I do not mean this in a bad way but it sounds like you may be jealous. My dh is upper management banking and is strictly prohibited against accepting any inappropriate gifts (cash, gift cards in large amounts, season passes to sporting events etc.) because, as you said, of bias. He is allowed to accept bottles of wine, candy etc. at Christmas.

Are you insinuating that a teacher would give better marks or a part in play to students who give gifts? That is a far stretch. Teachers choose their profession because of their love of children, they are not there to pick and choose based on the family's financial capabilities.

The two (police officers and teachers) are not comparable imo. One deals with public safety of thousands of unknown people who he does not form any kind of bond with. The other deals with a select group of under-aged children on a day- to- day basis for an entire year. A teacher gets to know the student on a personal and professional level and many students see the teacher as an extension of their friends. So, there is a reason a student may feel the need to give their teacher a gift to make him/her happy. What reason would a stranger have to give a cop a gift?

That being said, I have happily given a gift at Christmas to every teacher my kids have ever had in elementary school as a show of appreciation. Only a handful of times have any my kids been given anything in return. Once was a small book, another time a Christmas card and twice a candy cane. The looks of joy on their faces when they came home to show me their gift was priceless. It does not take much $ to make a small child happy.

I teach play classes for very young children. They are parent involvement classes, so I've gotten to know the parents and the children pretty well in the year I've been working there. I didn't expect anything from any of my kiddos this year, but two of them came in with Christmas cards for me. They were their family Christmas cards with pictures of their child. I loved them! It just felt so sweet to me. They also included a small amount gift card to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, which were nice but I'll get to keep the pictures for much longer :goodvibes

This year we got the primary teacher a $25 gift card to Amazon and a canister of homemade divinty. The bus driver got a $15 gift certificate to McDonalds and a container of divinity.

I am a nurse and we are not supposed to accept gifts. However, a couple of years back we had a patient who had been with us for over 2 months. She didn't have much, but scrounged together enough funds to make the cutest gift that consisted of a small stocking, small avon lotion, and an ornament. She was so proud of handing those out to "only her favorite nurses." I accepted the gift because I didn't want her to feel bad, but her words meant more than anything.

My husband is not allowed to get discounts at any restaurants. Never heard of it.

Bias happens. I promise.

Here, it is common for law enforcement to receive free or reduced price meals. At LOTS of restaurants. Has been since I was a little girl and probably long before. The restaurants WANT the police to dine at their establishments.

When I taught junior high, I occasionally got gifts. Mostly food items, mugs or ornaments. I still have some of those ornaments. I loved the notes. Once, a student who barely made a peep gave me a gorgeous teapot. I still have it. That surprised me. Another boy who stayed in trouble with some other teachers, but with whom I got along fine, brought me caviar. Never saw that coming. It did not improve his average. Gifts never once made me favor a student.

We usually give DD's teachers $25 gift cards.

My husband is not allowed to get discounts at any restaurants. Never heard of it.

Bias happens. I promise.

Yes, you are certainly biased against teachers. The evidence is in this thread and I have seen it in others. Not sure why you hate teachers so much, but your bias is very obvious.

I opened this thread expecting to see christmas cheer!! Sorry OP, your thread got trolled.

In the spirit of trying to send this thread in a direction to what it was (I think) intended for, I tutor, and you get to know students on a very personal level. I usually buy a small gift for my student and parent, I don't expect anything, but I always appreciate the thought of getting a gift around the holidays. The holidays is time to appreciate the people in your life, including your educators!

To those who seem to dislike teachers receiving gifts, did your child make you a Christmas gift in school? Or a Mother's Day or Father's day craft? Odds are that the teacher paid for the materials to make that craft out of her/his pocket.
I can't even begin to figure out what I spend out of pocket each year. I stop saving receipts after I have what I need for income taxes. Books for the classroom library, extra pencils, glue, markers, hand sanitizer, etc. Our district doesn't allow us to ask for much in the way of supplies so what isn't supplied we buy ourselves. My school supply list consisted of boxes of tissues and a plastic box to keep pencils and crayons in. Well we are on our last boxes of tissues already and about 1/3-1/2 brought in the crayon boxes. I end up using old vhs tape cases for students who don't bring in their own. Some just can't afford them but there are always a few who should be able to that don't.

To those who seem to dislike teachers receiving gifts, did your child make you a Christmas gift in school? Or a Mother's Day or Father's day craft? Odds are that the teacher paid for the materials to make that craft out of her/his pocket.
I can't even begin to figure out what I spend out of pocket each year. I stop saving receipts after I have what I need for income taxes. Books for the classroom library, extra pencils, glue, markers, hand sanitizer, etc. Our district doesn't allow us to ask for much in the way of supplies so what isn't supplied we buy ourselves. My school supply list consisted of boxes of tissues and a plastic box to keep pencils and crayons in. Well we are on our last boxes of tissues already and about 1/3-1/2 brought in the crayon boxes. I end up using old vhs tape cases for students who don't bring in their own. Some just can't afford them but there are always a few who should be able to that don't.

This is not true in all districts, certainly not the one my kids attend. I spent about $70 each on their school supply list and then the teacher did ask for extra tissues and hand sanitizer. After Christmas break, she will send home another note asking for more since I'm sure the supply has dwindled from the beginning of the year.
Our PTA contributes alot when it comes to classroom supplies also. I'm not saying our teachers NEVER spend their own money, I'm just saying in our particular district my kids supply list is extensive and expensive.

I have no problem giving the teachers gifts at Christmas and the end of the year. The class banded together and collected money . My DD's teacher received a $200 Amazon gift card and a small Starbucks gift card.
She in turn gave each student in her class (24) a book.

My son is in middle school. Its not that I don't appreciate his teachers, even more so, since I would never want to teach 7th and 8th grade kids :rolleyes:, but he has 9 different teachers. Just too many to buy for.

Teachers give the kids they teach gifts constantly. Not the 'gift of knowledge' though they do.

I know a number of teachers and every one goes far above and beyond the time and money they're 'supposed' to spend on their students.

Teachers and cops aren't comparable. Same as cops and firefighters aren't comparable. Here, cops are not allowed to accept gifts or discounts or anything of the sort. Walk into the firehouse with baked goods or tshirts or pizzas and you'll just be profusely thanked and one of many people who do that.

I too enjoy hearing the nice things students and their parents do for teachers and how much the teachers appreciate the gestures and thoughtful gifts. It's nice. No one is comparing or one-upping or anything of the sort.

Also, not for nuttin', don't forget your coaches! A friend of mine has coached kids for years and has, in an album, the crayon-written letters and cards some of his kids wrote him thanking him for helping them, along with the letters parents have written. There aren't that many, because people don't seem to think to do it, but every one means a lot.

Not a teacher but a parent.
I have previously gave my kids' teachers Origins gift set, H2O+ gift set, Crabtree and Evelyn gift set, Cheesecake Factory gift card, hand warmers, and scarfs as Xmas present.
I gave them gifts as a small token of my appreciation. It's the least I can do and I will continue doing this every year.
I could never do what they do.
So for all of you teachers there. I thank you and I wish you and your family have a Happy Holidays! :goodvibes:

I think giving a police officer a gift is called bribery. Probably not a smart move.

Each year since 9/11, my family has brought a big tray of wrapped goodies to our local police and fire stations on Christmas Eve, as a thank you for all they do to keep us safe. We also brought one to the rectory before mass yesterday.

I see no reason to stop the practice.

Anyway, teaching is absolutely the one and only profession for me. I work with fabulous kids and a wonderful administration, and a faculty of professionals who give their all to our kids. Our parents are supportive. I get to be a part of the lives of so many amazing young people each year. It's not about the coffee mugs or the ornaments or the vacations or any of the rest. It's about seeing that light go on for a kid who never "got" math before and suddenly sees how things come together. Or about the kid who ran into my homeroom a few weeks ago-- he had just gotten his SAT scores and was thrilled, and wanted to thank me for my help. It's about having a kid come up to me in the cafeteria, asking whether I'm Mrs. Aliceacc, and could they come to my extra help that afternoon. It's about seeing the response of my school to Hurricane Sandy and the huge outpouring of help for those in our school community who lost so much. It's about the homeroom I'm covering for one of those Sandy victims who lost her home-- her homeroom chipped in and got her and her husband a Home Depot gift card, and the faculty pitched in and covered the Santa gifts for her 2 young kids. I love my profession and I love the school at which I'm lucky enough to be employed.

If others choose to look down on my choice as a result, there's not anything I can do about that. Those that don't get it simply don't get it.

Buckalew11 said:
29 year hairdresser here and yes, I give each of my clients a little "thank you gift" at Christmas each year. It varies from year to year.

I did not expect gifts from teachers for my daughter when she was in school. We did enjoy giving teacher gifts through the years. Usually GCs for the classroom or something personal if I knew what they liked/favorite hobby etc.

Years ago, I think I would have enjoyed teaching. Nowadays, no thanks. I do a lot of teacher's hair and, I'm telling ya, I do not know how they put up with it!

My DSis and DBIL and DNephew teach. Dsis (HS) got a candy cane and a note. DNephew (HS) got GCs, Ralph Lauren polo shirts, etc. But he is young and single and I'm sure there are some crushes happening, lol.

Lol, I got a great little flashlight! It is my new favorite.

There are certain careers that have personal connections. Teaching is one.

I opened this thread expecting to see christmas cheer!! Sorry OP, your thread got trolled.

In the spirit of trying to send this thread in a direction to what it was (I think) intended for, I tutor, and you get to know students on a very personal level. I usually buy a small gift for my student and parent, I don't expect anything, but I always appreciate the thought of getting a gift around the holidays. The holidays is time to appreciate the people in your life, including your educators!

I tutor after school too(teaching in NC does not pay enough to pay my bills). The kids I tutor are low income. I found out their favorite animal and what type of books they like and they got a beanie baby and a book. The smiles on their faces were priceless!

Our school also sponsors a few families in the school who are in need. One family was homeless and I spent $100 on two gifts for the 9 and 10 year old girls. If you spend a lot of time around teachers, you will learn that most are very compassionate and can't help but give extra each year. Whether its a child without a coat or shoes or extra supplies that are needed, we just buy it.

For those who don't give to HS or MS teachers, please know that a $5 gift card or even a handwritten note can make a big difference. I found out my son's geometry teacher did not have compasses and bought her a cheap set. I thought she was going to cry.

I've been lurking for a while, now I'm gonna chime in ...

I'm not a teacher NOR a parent. Yes, I took gifts to my teachers when I was in school. Small things, mostly homemade candy or ornaments or things for the classroom. My mother wanted me to show my appreciation for the gifts my teachers gave to ME throughout the year.

The gift of the love of reading. The gift of wanting to learn, a craving for knowledge. The gift of learning to work and play well with others. The gift of believing in myself, because we all know a teacher's praise goes a long way. Gifts that have stayed with me long past my graduation and have impacted my entire life.

Teachers don't just teach, they GIVE - of themselves, of their knowledge, of their time. And those gifts are way more important to children than something tangible they can hold in their hand and say, "Look what my teacher gave me."

Thanks to all the teachers here and everywhere, for everything you've done and all the gifts you'll continue to give to your students year after year... regardless of what you may or may not receive in return.

:flower3:

This is not true in all districts, certainly not the one my kids attend. I spent about $70 each on their school supply list and then the teacher did ask for extra tissues and hand sanitizer. After Christmas break, she will send home another note asking for more since I'm sure the supply has dwindled from the beginning of the year.
Our PTA contributes alot when it comes to classroom supplies also. I'm not saying our teachers NEVER spend their own money, I'm just saying in our particular district my kids supply list is extensive and expensive.

I have no problem giving the teachers gifts at Christmas and the end of the year. The class banded together and collected money . My DD's teacher received a $200 Amazon gift card and a small Starbucks gift card.
She in turn gave each student in her class (24) a book.

My son is in middle school. Its not that I don't appreciate his teachers, even more so, since I would never want to teach 7th and 8th grade kids :rolleyes:, but he has 9 different teachers. Just too many to buy for.
Same for our district. Our list is large, extensive and expensive. When more supplies are needed, a call goes out to parents.

In our elementary school, the kids did make gifts. However, all the supplies were school supplies: school paper, pictures of children supplied by the school, laminated with school supplies, etc.

In our district, it is not the norm to give gifts after elementary school. As above, starting in middle school (6th grade here), there is a teacher for each subject. That is 7 core teachers + p.e., art, music, library and more. That is 10+ teachers. Now times that per kid. It is not that our parents don't love our teachers, but it becomes cost prohibitive to buy gifts for 20+ teachers. It is a running sentiment of our parents that one of the perks of middle school is no more classroom gifts.

Besides, our district has put a damper on gifts. Because there is such financial disparity between schools, they have limited the max you can spend per teacher. Individual gifts can not be more than $10.00 and a group gift cannot exceed $25.00. We have schools where the kids are driving lexus and mercedes to HS and then the next town over, the school is 99.99% free and reduced lunches. A school where the annual PTA fundraising is over $85,000 a year and another school where the fundraising is $850 a year. A few teachers were getting jealous that their counterparts were getting multiple Ipads, cameras, laptops, etc and they were getting a candy cane. The few bitter vocal ones ruined it for all in the district.

As for the tone of this thread, I think we have seen the extreme on both sides: the teacher that is po'd and feels entitled to gifts because she does her job (she writes letters and remarks snarkily that she got nothing) and the parent that feels no teacher should receive a gift.

I am glad to see the majority, those in between, the parents who love to appreciate the hard work our teachers do and the teachers that don't expect, but are grateful for the small tokens of our appreciation.

love our teachers!

I have not (and will not!) read this thread due to the fact that I know there is some fussing going on. I will, however, answer the question.

- two mugs with hot chocolate
- Disney popcorn tin (too cute!)
- Best. Gift. Ever. One of my boys picked out a pair of footed pajamas for me. They are red with Mickey embroidered on them. They have a hood with mouse ears too! Totally random, shockingly funny, and amazingly thoughtful! I love it!

Since DD is in mid high now, it was harder to know what to get for her teachers. We ended up getting them all a notepad with a personalized note on it (not as nice as what I was hoping DD would have written, but such is life with a teen!), ink pens, and Ghiradelli chocolates.

I think that the best gifts you can give anyone are ones that show that you truly know their personality. That's why I like the p.j.'s so much. Last year, DD's teacher loved Dr. Pepper. So, we bought her a 24 case of Dr. Pepper, some Dr. Pepper cupcakes, and Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce. We also researching recipes that use Dr. Pepper and put together a cookbook for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter