Teachers: What gifts did you receive?

I love my girl's teachers. School, as well as dance, gymnastics and ice skating, enrichment classes and tutor. I give as generously as I can to all of them. My daughters and I carefully select each gift.

I had about 10 to buy this year. It does add a few hundred dollars to my Christmas budget but oh, well. They deserve it!

I also gift to my postal carrier and landscaper.

I got homemade cookies and a waterfall. The waterfall also included a touching card. I bought my fifth grade donuts and they each got a candy cane to take home.

I've always sent in giftcards for teachers & ta's in elementary school. Now that both kids are in middle or hs- its different because we're talking 10-12 teachers/assistants/coaches for each. Last year I got the small lindor truffles $1 ea and this year it was individually wrapped chocolate covered pretzel sticks. Both time it was with a holiday card that I make the girls write something positive about what they learn from each teacher or in that class.

What I don't like is the Teacher appreciation weeks that the PTAs hold in late may in my district. It would be one thing if they did it in march or something when we're not going to feel like sending in a year end gift in a week or two. But they want you to send in something different every day then provide lunch for all the teachers. I wish they would just do the lunch thing and ask for monetary donations to order food in! I work 10hr days an hour away and I can't drop off hot food for their pot luck.... I'm all for showing teachers appreciation, but some common sense would be appreciated. One year they wanted us to send in balloons one day for teachers. Why would a teacher want over 100 balloons??? on top of that they weren't allowed to bring them on the bus- so I made sugar cookies and drew balloons in the icing and gave a couple to each teacher so my daughter wouldn't feel like a jerk for not bringing in something.

That being said- I always ask what supplies are needed for classrooms and make sure that I stock up on supply staples during the summer sales to send in mid-year. But its crazy what the supply lists look like- reams of color and reg paper and my favorite- duct tape? Each year its like another christmas shopping event getting the stuff for each class. What happend to using whatever paper and pen/pencil we prefer? On top of that- I keep getting lists of books that we're required to buy and send in for the kids' language arts classes. 6 for one, and 4 for the other. I'm honestly not sure what supplies the teachers buy or schools actually provide anymore; but never think that the teacher should be responsible for supplying the classroom.

This break- dd#2 said her teacher asked us to send in extra calculators for the classroom for the kids who don't have them. I'll send in a few although I make sure my kids have theirs (and replacements if she needs it).

I appreciate what our teachers do for the most part- just wish that the govt would provide the right funding for schools to actually work better. The teachers hate it but are required to teach to the tests- and the quality of education doesn't seem the same caliber that I remember experiencing as a kid/

I explained this to our PTA one year and now our Teacher Appreciation week is in February. That is about the time we need more markers, paper, etc. We put out a wish list. Ours is a pretty easy schedule---Day1--bring a note or card for your teacher, Day2--bring something sweet, Day3--Bring or draw a flower, Day 4--bring a school supply and Day5--breakfast provided by parents--bagels, muffins, etc. Not everyone participates and monetary gifts are discouraged as this about tangible ways to show you appreciate your teacher. It is always a very encouraging week.

How old are these kids that are so guilt-ridden about not being able to afford a gift for a teacher that they need to be Counseled? I am genuinely curious.

My aide goes through the kids' backpacks and discreetly puts gifts on my desk. I open them after school, and mail thank-you notes. Seriously, kids who can't afford gifts can MAKE something, or send in a card. My best friend is our school psychologist, and we've both been in schools for over 20 years. She laughed when I asked her if she'd ever "counseled children who felt guilty and horrible about not being able to give a gift". It's never happened at our school, where the poverty rate is high.

It is silly to think that a child would be in counseling for just gift giving. I work with elementary through teen on many issues regarding their life. As they talk to me the gift giving to teachers has come up. We have brought up different ways a person can give, but it still upsets them that they can not afford items or things to make a gift with.

I've counseled grade schoolers for 20 years and foolishness like this never hit our radar. Too busy with abuse, and behavioral issues. In hillbilly poor country.

Those are the main issues we do work with, however, a lot of other stuff comes up. We try to work with all the issues a child has and sometimes we start with the small stuff. Working with the small items first gives them a feeling of accomplishing something, which is very important for these children.

In my 14 years of teaching, I have only had one or two children seem upset that they didn't have a gift for me. I told them I would love a picture made just for me and off they went. Usually it is more likely the kids want to EAT my gifts, LOL. I get some great homemade stuff.

Not one teacher in our district got homemade stuff. Most of them got gift cards.

Oh my I cant believe how this thread turned out...

But thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the teachers out there, I want to say 99.999999% of you are super awesome and wonderful with the kids, a job I could never do. Thanks, thanks thanks!

In years past we had a few teachers who were Disney fans, so we did calendars or Mickey notepads.

This year we sent the teacher and the bus driver, hot cocoa sets bc DS loves cocoa and wanted to share that with them and a Target gift card.

Our school also does a collection that is divided amongst the entire staff. I like that too.

I wanted to send something small to the HS teachers but DS said no. But thanks for the idea for the recommedation letters. It is a good idea for when that times comes!

That's great. What gifts did you give to your students?

I think you are missing the point of the season. Christmas is about giving, not getting. If students choose to give their teachers gifts to show their gratitude, then so be it. They should not expect anything in return. When did we become a society where people can only receive gifts if they give ones? Your post is a sad commentary on our "all about me" society. Merry Christmas to you and I hope, one day, you truly understand the season and all that it means.

A fellow parent and I gave our kindergartner's teacher and assistant kick ball bases and a kick ball for Christmas out school pe program is hopelessly underfunded our kids don't even have a playground they walk the track for recess so this was a welcome gift for them and the class. In addition I have each teacher a package of cookie mix, a pot holder with handprint and a cookie cutter :)

Not one teacher in our district got homemade stuff. Most of them got gift cards.

Is it against the rules? If not, how do you know what every teacher in your district got? I got homemade cookies, muffins, and truffles, plus a whole loaf of pumpkin bread. YUM!

im just a support teacher and have been at my job about 60 days. I was shocked that anyone even thought of me. One of my kids bought me a box of krabby patties (he picked it himself, hes 2). Our school does script and apparently at christmas they do a teacher fund, so parents can donate and then they divide it amosnt the 14 teachers, and 5 support staff. Well, I ended up with $30 in script. The best gift i got from my students this year is one little 2 year old boy, who thinks im like aswome, looked up at me and said "JENNY!" then proceded to say it all day every time I walked past his classroom. Also got a christmas promotion from my boss, I went from supoport staff to co-teacher in a two year old room. The teacher got the joy of telling me as i burst into tears and cried!

LSmith said:
No need for name calling. Just stating a fact.

Many kids go over and above as students but don't receive gifts from their teachers.

I gave each of my students a book, a pencil, and made them cupcakes.

I don't fault people for either giving something to teachers or not giving something.

Sometimes people want to give something "extra" to those who they feel have done something above and beyond the norm. I have had caregivers who were absolutely great at their job, doing exactly what they were supposed to do. I have also had people who have done above and beyond the norm that was expected of them, so I may want to give something to them.

Unfortunately, many people can't understand how there are differences of opinion in the world, and it's OK to do things differently.

I think you are missing the point of the season. Christmas is about giving, not getting. If students choose to give their teachers gifts to show their gratitude, then so be it. They should not expect anything in return. When did we become a society where people can only receive gifts if they give ones? Your post is a sad commentary on our "all about me" society. Merry Christmas to you and I hope, one day, you truly understand the season and all that it means.

Very well said! LSmith - I hope you were able to experience a wonderful Christmas.

A fellow parent and I gave our kindergartner's teacher and assistant kick ball bases and a kick ball for Christmas out school pe program is hopelessly underfunded our kids don't even have a playground they walk the track for recess so this was a welcome gift for them and the class. In addition I have each teacher a package of cookie mix, a pot holder with handprint and a cookie cutter :)

Off topic sort of...but our school just got tons of PE equipment by asking people to send in or donate their Coke Reward points. Our PE teacher asked the kids to bring in the caps and one of the moms agreed to key them in. She accumulated the point and got a lot of cool PE stuff like scooters, balls, nets, cones etc.

im just a support teacher and have been at my job about 60 days. I was shocked that anyone even thought of me. One of my kids bought me a box of krabby patties (he picked it himself, hes 2). Our school does script and apparently at christmas they do a teacher fund, so parents can donate and then they divide it amosnt the 14 teachers, and 5 support staff. Well, I ended up with $30 in script. The best gift i got from my students this year is one little 2 year old boy, who thinks im like aswome, looked up at me and said "JENNY!" then proceded to say it all day every time I walked past his classroom. Also got a christmas promotion from my boss, I went from supoport staff to co-teacher in a two year old room. The teacher got the joy of telling me as i burst into tears and cried!

JUST a support teacher? Are you kidding? Without your support, how would kids get what they need? You deserve kudos just like any other teacher:goodvibes

JUST a support teacher? Are you kidding? Without your support, how would kids get what they need? You deserve kudos just like any other teacher:goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Support teachers (or paraprofessionals in my district) are invaluable! I am a special education teacher and our paras are not only tasked with helping "our" students. They help facilitate reading interventions for ALL students and help support the special education students when necessary. And my son is a special education student. His para is just as necessary as his special ed teacher. Honestly, he wouldn't make it without her.

Teaching in a low SES school, I don't expect to get gifts. I'm just happy if my babies come to school with all their supplies. Having said that, one of my students brought a small bag of homemade goodies and another student gave me a small picture frame.

My own children go to what I would consider a middle class school, so it is standard for most of the kids to take a small gifts, although the school is constantly sending reminders that gift-giving is totally voluntary. My kids picked out small Christmas ornaments for each of their teachers based on their individual likes and personalities. Oh, and we picked out a Buzz Lightyear ornament for DS's principal, because he is always "saving the day". :goodvibes His principal works tirelessly for those students and knows all 800+ of them by name. He makes rounds every morning and speaks to each and every class. He is a wonderful principal who definitely goes above and beyond.

The only problem about giving gifts to teachers are the poor students who can not afford a gift. I have counseled many children who felt guilty and horrible about not being able to give a gift. Even when you try to explain to a child many different ways of giving, they still can not shake the fact that they were not able to be like the other kids in the class.

While I agree with others who feel that a child needing counseling over this is a bit over the top, I do have a solution.

Where I teach, the counselors run a "secret shop" where economically disadvantaged students can shop for gifts to give their families, and many also get something for their teachers, coaches, etc. as well. Of course, the students do not pay a thing, and in fact they get a little cookie treat themselves when they are done shopping. The "merchandise" is all donated by staff members throughout the year and is usually knick-knacks, picture frames, little household items, etc. Wrapping paper is also donated by the staff and the kids are sent home with wrapped presents - that they picked out themselves - to give to those they love.

While I agree with others who feel that a child needing counseling over this is a bit over the top, I do have a solution.

Where I teach, the counselors run a "secret shop" where economically disadvantaged students can shop for gifts to give their families, and many also get something for their teachers, coaches, etc. as well. Of course, the students do not pay a thing, and in fact they get a little cookie treat themselves when they are done shopping. The "merchandise" is all donated by staff members throughout the year and is usually knick-knacks, picture frames, little household items, etc. Wrapping paper is also donated by the staff and the kids are sent home with wrapped presents - that they picked out themselves - to give to those they love.

I love that idea!!!! :goodvibes

We are back to homeschooling now, but when my kids attended, I always bought the teachers amazon gift cards for holiday and end of year. Having family and friends who teach I know that all the mugs and tote bags can get repetitive, and so many teachers need books and supplies. I always figured amazon was good for books, supplies, or a little something for themselves.
I also had my child write a letter of thanks.
Teachers in our state at least are not allowed to accept , checks, or say, visa gift cards, anything the "equivalent" of cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter