Teachers: What gifts did you receive?

Tinijocaro

DIS Veteran
I received three candles, which I love. Can never have too many.

Several students gave chocolate of various types. One girl made a chocolate moose out of a kit-very cute and she was so excited to give it to me.

I also received one of those cute hand sanitizer dispensers from BB and B.

I appreciate it any time a student thinks of me at Chridtmas-I teach 4th and 5th graders to play the string instruments.

My dh gets lots of stuff from his 7th graders. Mostly small things like cookies and candies.

I teach seniors in high school. I also spend a lot of time writing letters of recommendations for them for college. Last year I got nothing. THis year I got a picture frame from someone I wrote a letter for. For a student I have had for three years and wrote a letter she gave me something very sweet. She was in Disney a week ago for a basketball tournament. She gave me a gift card and an ornament. A mickey head that was deep red with black ears and it looked like a Santa belt around the middle. She got it when she was down in Disney.

As a teacher, I am uncomfortable with this thread. In my opinion sounds like we are sitting here comparing what the kids gave us. I personally don't let my kids give me gifts and in the beginning of the year include this policy in a letter that I send home.

I'm a high school teacher. As such, gifts are an unexpected surprise.

I do want to tell you about my best gift ever. One of my students made a blanket donation in my name to people in the hospital at Christmas time. The idea behind the charity is that the patients need a snuggly warm blanket to replace the standard, thin, hospital issue.

What my student didn't know is that the woman who started the charity is from the neighborhood where I grew up. While I don't know the woman, a good friend of mine grew up down the block from the address listed on the gift.

Or that I've spent my share of time in the hospital, and would have loved the thoughtfulness of the charity she chose.

I appreciate all the gifts and cards I get from my kids. But this one really touched me.

As a teacher, I am uncomfortable with this thread. In my opinion sounds like we are sitting here comparing what the kids gave us. I personally don't let my kids give me gifts and in the beginning of the year include this policy in a letter that I send home.

:thumbsup2

Several students gave chocolate of various types. One girl made a chocolate moose out of a kit-very cute and she was so excited to give it to me.

I appreciate it any time a student thinks of me at Chridtmas-I teach 4th and 5th graders to play the string instruments.

That's great. What gifts did you give to your students?

I teach high school and this year I didn't get anything. Last year I got a card and some playing cards.

Not a teacher, but a parent. We parents banded together to supply the classroom, as per the teachers request.

I sent each of DS's teachers (at his old school, and his new) a tissue box holder, with a 4 pack of tissue boxes. I handmade the holders, btw, with the colors that DS reported to me that the teachers liked. (3 teachers)

They each got a "goody bag" with sharpies, dry erase markers, hand sanitizer, and hand soap. I also sent in 2 or 3 books for the class (new ones, bought off Amazon).

DS purchased, with his own money, some little candies--$1 bag of Linderz (sp?) chocolates, Ghiradelli peppermint dark chocolate bars--to put in the goodie bags.

So not really presents for them (except the chocolates) but things they need for the class.

Another classmate in DS's new reading class brought in 3 new dictionaries (she only had 1 and I guess he was tired of sharing.) Another brought in pencils, erasers, and colored pencils. Another brought in wipes..6 big containers each! A couple of kids brought in items for the "goody jars" (rewards for good behavior, good work, etc)--bags of wrapped candies, small toys like you get at a birthday party, etc.

Only two kids brought in items for the teachers directly---one was a Starbucks gift card, and the other was a coffee mug with candy.

Each music, computer and PE teacher got chocolates from DS.

As a parent, it's so hard to know what to get the teacher. I love the idea of a teacher requesting no gifts. In our state, teachers have to record each gift with the school and have it on file, and can't accept a gift of high value, something to do with bribery. Not sure if it's all states that do this, but it seems like a pain for the teacher. I have heard of teachers complaining of getting too many "trinket" type gifts like mugs and pens. We did gift cards.

My son is in a special ed class because he has autism, there are just 8 kids. Every year I give the teacher and para each a 25.00 gift card to JC penney. He has been in the class for 4 years and they are very hands on with him, so I hope that is a sufficient gift. I have to admit i didnt worry so much about gifts for teachers as my other kids got older and they started having more than one teacher. When they were in elementary school it was usually a candle or paperweight for their desk or something.

so I hope that is a sufficient gift..

All gifts are far more than "sufficient." Your gifts were incredibly generous.

I think I speak for my fellow teachers when I say that any and all gifts are treats, not something we expect.

As a parent, I bought my DS's 4th grade teacher some stuff for the classroom. I bought her a copy of the Declaration of Independence, A copy of the Pledge of allegiance, and another copy of something like that. Plus I bought the book "George Washington; Spymaster" as it talks about the American revolution and that is the major point they study this year. for her I bought a CD featuring lots of Americana songs from America in Epcot sung by the Voices of Liberty. I also bought her a teacher's ornament for her tree. This is the third time I have had her as a teacher for one of my kids so I think I know what she likes and will use in the classroom.

The parents of my little ones were very generous- and I am blessed beyond measure.

This year was the year of the chocolate covered pretzel- which I LOVE and have been snacking on non-stop. I hope my pants fit when I go back in January! :rotfl2:

I teach mostly immigrant and refugee children so they don't have the means to buy teacher gifts nor do I expect them. That said my favorite gift was a stack of personalized Mickey notecards that a mom made. I gave each one of my students a coloring book, a box of crayons, a book to read over break at their reading level and a plastic stocking filled with plastic trinkets.

Bella the Ball 360 said:

Really? You are going to make the other posters feel bad that they are showing their appreciation for their student's generosity?

I teach middle school so I don't usually get many gifts but this year....

I love diet coke so I received several 2 liters of diet cokes with bows on them from different students. Perfect gift.... Inexpensive for the parents but shows the kids thought enough of me to know what I like. One parent gave my a gift certificate for lunch at a local pizza place with tax included for a day I forgot to bring my lunch!!

I gave my students a homework pass that they can use on any assignment for a free A and a Gimmie A Break card which they can use if they need a extra day on homework, to get something from their locker after class started, help on a test question, etc.

As a non-teacher and parent, I'm enjoying this thread.

I actually *never* would have thought of giving the two teachers that wrote my son college recommendation letters a thank you gift. I realize that it is a lot of work for them this time of year. While I'm too late for a Christmas gift, I think I will pick up something small for them and have my son take to them after the holidays (his letter just went out last week).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter