Teachers: What gifts did you receive?

My son is not school age yet, but when I was growing up, my mother always took us shopping to pick out gifts for all our teachers. I intend to do the same.

She also had us bring in end of the year gifts, does anyone still do that?

I teach preschool, and many children bring end of the year gifts. Some do not- and that's OK! What I love are the notes from the parents- they are always so grateful to see the growth in their children over the year.

My favorite end of the year gift was a hydrangea. I had become close to the family and to the mom, having taught all three of her daughters. I planted the hydrangea in my back yard, and I take a picture of it every year, showing her daughter who gave it to me how much it has grown over the years. It's a nice way to stay in touch with them!

I wanted to add something. Our area was extremely hard hit by Sandy. Many of our teachers were displaced from their homes and lost many of their things but they were out there delivering food to people who couldn't get out, calling their students to check on them and when we went back to school after having to be closed for over 2 weeks, they were doing laundry for kids who still had no power and/or no appliances. Talk about above and beyond!

I wanted to add something. Our area was extremely hard hit by Sandy. Many of our teachers were displaced from their homes and lost many of their things but they were out there delivering food to people who couldn't get out, calling their students to check on them and when we went back to school after having to be closed for over 2 weeks, they were doing laundry for kids who still had no power and/or no appliances. Talk about above and beyond!

Not to mention the teachers who died to protect their students last week in Sandy Hook. My 11-year old DD asked me if I would take a bullet for my students. When I said yes, she absolutely sobbed. It's a scary thing.

I always give teachers gift cards to our locally owned small grocery. It is two minutes from school and it is an easy place to run to at lunch or after work to grab a much needed bottle of wine after dealing with our " angels " Lol all day.

My EX sis in law is DS10's math teacher ( we love her ) Lets see if my gift will boost that grade point average. HAHA ! I doubt it, she has too much integrity to even think of such a thing .

College letters .. will try to keep that in mind to pick up a little thank you when DS is in high school .

DS has been given presents in past , usually a book. Now that they switch classes I don't see how teachers could give 100 plus kids a gift, though his home room teacher gave out a little bag of goodies to kids during homeroom Christmas party .

I think that what our teachers do , while a job , is truly giving our children a gift, gift of knowledge, gift of love , gift of patience ; ) .. list goes on and on.

I for one appreciate all you guys do for my child and am already planning end of year gifts, this year will include Principal and the VP. It is my child's last year and they have been so sweet to him over the years and really do love him. GASP ... all with out me ever giving them anything more than a thank you for all you do for my son .

Enjoy your time off teachers !! Get some much needed rest from our kiddos and parents LOL.

Besides my son's school teachers, I also gave to his private tutors. I usually spend a weekly session's tuition on each. I didn't give to his group class teachers (tennis, swimming, art), but I think I would at least do a card next year.

For his piano teacher, I got him a box of Godiva chocolate and a gift card to Godiva store as well since he mentioned he enjoyed eating this chocolate while putting together his puzzle. Not cheap but he is a great great teacher. He gave DS two piano books, a bag of Lindt chocolate and some candies as gifts.

I gave the Spanish tutor a $25 gift card to local grocery store. We have only been using her for 3 month so not too sure about what she likes.

Not to mention the teachers who died to protect their students last week in Sandy Hook. My 11-year old DD asked me if I would take a bullet for my students. When I said yes, she absolutely sobbed. It's a scary thing.

My assistant and I talked about this Monday. She has an 8 year old. She is in charge of getting the kids in the bathroom and keeping them quiet while I lock the doors, pull the blinds etc. It is sad to have to think this way, but my son has had me for 18 years and I would rather it be me if someone had to make a sacrifice for the kids and her.

BearcatsFan said:
I've been lurking for a while, now I'm gonna chime in ...

I'm not a teacher NOR a parent. Yes, I took gifts to my teachers when I was in school. Small things, mostly homemade candy or ornaments or things for the classroom. My mother wanted me to show my appreciation for the gifts my teachers gave to ME throughout the year.

The gift of the love of reading. The gift of wanting to learn, a craving for knowledge. The gift of learning to work and play well with others. The gift of believing in myself, because we all know a teacher's praise goes a long way. Gifts that have stayed with me long past my graduation and have impacted my entire life.

Teachers don't just teach, they GIVE - of themselves, of their knowledge, of their time. And those gifts are way more important to children than something tangible they can hold in their hand and say, "Look what my teacher gave me."

Thanks to all the teachers here and everywhere, for everything you've done and all the gifts you'll continue to give to your students year after year... regardless of what you may or may not receive in return.

:flower3:

Well said. :santa:

The only problem about giving gifts to teachers are the poor students who can not afford a gift. I have counseled many children who felt guilty and horrible about not being able to give a gift. Even when you try to explain to a child many different ways of giving, they still can not shake the fact that they were not able to be like the other kids in the class.

I love DD's teachers and love her bus driver. We are new to the area and they have made her feel extremely welcomed and comfortable in our new home. I usually do a gift card to Barnes and Noble but she has 4 teachers that we wanted to gift. So we made our awesome homemade fudge for the teachers and the bus driver. And DD made cards for each one. I also included an ingredients listing as the fudge has various nut products in it. DD said the teachers seemed pleased and the bus driver was very happy she thought of him. Just a small gift to let them know we appreciate everything they do.
And for the record, her first marking period average was a 97.5 only brought down by the wood shop teacher that gave her the very first B ever. He didn't get any fudge, lol. So I do not believe that a container of homemade fudge will help her grades. Lol

Geez, I can't believe the turn this thread took. Yikes.

Anyway, gifts are huge in my school district, both at Christmas and the end of the year. I gave to the general fund for the teacher, and then some gift cards for my son's speech therapist and resource room teacher and aide.

And yes, the teachers in my school DO give gifts to the kids. They get pencils and certificated for their birthdays, for the holiday they got a little craft project and and "one no homework night" pass, which I know all the kids will appreciate for the second semester!

Really cool gifts can be very inexpensive.

The only problem about giving gifts to teachers are the poor students who can not afford a gift. I have counseled many children who felt guilty and horrible about not being able to give a gift. Even when you try to explain to a child many different ways of giving, they still can not shake the fact that they were not able to be like the other kids in the class.

How old are these kids that are so guilt-ridden about not being able to afford a gift for a teacher that they need to be Counseled? I am genuinely curious.

Received two more lovely gifts from my students today. One was a yummy looking Moravian Sugar Cake (which we will devour tomorrow after dinner) and the other was a hilarious gingerbread cookie kit (that we will enjoy tonight!).

images

My aide goes through the kids' backpacks and discreetly puts gifts on my desk. I open them after school, and mail thank-you notes. Seriously, kids who can't afford gifts can MAKE something, or send in a card. My best friend is our school psychologist, and we've both been in schools for over 20 years. She laughed when I asked her if she'd ever "counseled children who felt guilty and horrible about not being able to give a gift". It's never happened at our school, where the poverty rate is high.

Received two more lovely gifts from my students today. One was a yummy looking Moravian Sugar Cake (which we will devour tomorrow after dinner) and the other was a hilarious gingerbread cookie kit (that we will enjoy tonight!).

images

I have Ninja Bread Men cookie cutters! I love them!

I've counseled grade schoolers for 20 years and foolishness like this never hit our radar. Too busy with abuse, and behavioral issues. In hillbilly poor country.

I've always sent in giftcards for teachers & ta's in elementary school. Now that both kids are in middle or hs- its different because we're talking 10-12 teachers/assistants/coaches for each. Last year I got the small lindor truffles $1 ea and this year it was individually wrapped chocolate covered pretzel sticks. Both time it was with a holiday card that I make the girls write something positive about what they learn from each teacher or in that class.

What I don't like is the Teacher appreciation weeks that the PTAs hold in late may in my district. It would be one thing if they did it in march or something when we're not going to feel like sending in a year end gift in a week or two. But they want you to send in something different every day then provide lunch for all the teachers. I wish they would just do the lunch thing and ask for monetary donations to order food in! I work 10hr days an hour away and I can't drop off hot food for their pot luck.... I'm all for showing teachers appreciation, but some common sense would be appreciated. One year they wanted us to send in balloons one day for teachers. Why would a teacher want over 100 balloons??? on top of that they weren't allowed to bring them on the bus- so I made sugar cookies and drew balloons in the icing and gave a couple to each teacher so my daughter wouldn't feel like a jerk for not bringing in something.

That being said- I always ask what supplies are needed for classrooms and make sure that I stock up on supply staples during the summer sales to send in mid-year. But its crazy what the supply lists look like- reams of color and reg paper and my favorite- duct tape? Each year its like another christmas shopping event getting the stuff for each class. What happend to using whatever paper and pen/pencil we prefer? On top of that- I keep getting lists of books that we're required to buy and send in for the kids' language arts classes. 6 for one, and 4 for the other. I'm honestly not sure what supplies the teachers buy or schools actually provide anymore; but never think that the teacher should be responsible for supplying the classroom.

This break- dd#2 said her teacher asked us to send in extra calculators for the classroom for the kids who don't have them. I'll send in a few although I make sure my kids have theirs (and replacements if she needs it).

I appreciate what our teachers do for the most part- just wish that the govt would provide the right funding for schools to actually work better. The teachers hate it but are required to teach to the tests- and the quality of education doesn't seem the same caliber that I remember experiencing as a kid/

LiveYourLife said:
How old are these kids that are so guilt-ridden about not being able to afford a gift for a teacher that they need to be Counseled? I am genuinely curious.

There was a boy, second grade, this year who looked very sad when his teacher opened up gifts in front of the whole class. I did feel bad for him. I open up the few gifts I get alone with the giver just for this reason. I don't want kids to ever feel bad. In this case I think it had something to do with his religion but even at that age they don't want to be different.

In my 14 years of teaching, I have only had one or two children seem upset that they didn't have a gift for me. I told them I would love a picture made just for me and off they went. Usually it is more likely the kids want to EAT my gifts, LOL. I get some great homemade stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter