Talk to me about afternoon breaks.. yes or no? why and how long

There are so many variables. We tried it last trip for the first time and thought it was great. But we visited off-season so attendance was way down and we felt we had the time.
We would do EMH a.m., leave the park around Noon, 1pm, head back to the resort for a nap or a swim, and then hop somewhere else.
This was also the longest trip we've ever taken. I think a lot depends on how much time you have.

We don't do an afternoon break either, we try to do as much as possible each day

We're planning to break. Like others on this thread, we're kind of introverts and cannot tolerate non-stop stimulation for too long of a stretch. Also, my parents are in their 70's, so I think RD to close might be a bit too much. Heck, I'm 41 and it'd be too much for me. And we have an evening event planned for every night of our stay, plus hitting RD most mornings, so in order to be rested for the evening event (La Nouba, IllumiNations, Fantasmic, and Wishes/MSEP) we need a break to recharge.
Another big factor is that we chose our resort (Coronado) specifically because we'd like to spend some time there. I'm hoping it'll be warm enough to swim, but even just laying around near the pool or in a hammock will be nice. If all we were going to do is sleep there, we could've chosen a cheaper place to stay either on property or off. CSR is part of our vacation, so we went the opportunity to enjoy it.

Yes for us- BUT we usually do rope drop. So we head back to the resort around 1 or 2 after lunch then return to the parks around 5 or 6. Later if we do dinner elsewhere. My family doesn't do well with 10+ Hour days in the parks.

I travel solo and I normally go for a rest. I try and plan my days with a park in the morning. Then when I'm ready for food or have an ADR I'll go back to the hotel after that for a rest and head back out after that. I never feel like I miss much, and the little break to get off my feet and just chill does me wonders.

We're taking DGDs for their first trip next summer--they're 3.5 and almost 5 years old. We are planning on getting out in the morning they they are ready, and we'll break midday. I don't know if they'll nap, but we'll go back to OKW and cool off in the room, maybe hit the pool. We'll be returning to a park in the late afternoon/evening, but when they run out of steam, we're done for the day. DW & I want this to be the first of many WDW trips with our DGDs, whatever we miss we'll catch on a subsequent visit. :earsboy:

When my kids were younger, we didn't do middle of the day breaks because the process of leaving the parks, waiting for bus, going back to resort, "resting", then doing it all over again seemed much more exhausting. We just simply got the parks at rope drop and stayed as long as they wanted and that was it. Most often, missing nighttime stuff. This last trip was just DS13 and I and we went in June and it was crazy hot and crowded so we took a long mid day break everyday and napped or just relaxed in our room in the AC. We hated the pool (All Star sports) so only went to it once during a mid day break.

A big factor for us is the weather, concerning taking afternoon breaks. When we go to DL, the weather is generally cooler than at WDW, and we often do not take breaks. At WDW, even in mid-October, it can be in the 90s and humid. The parks get crowded, when the day is the hottest, as well. In June, it will be very hot, most likely, so I would take a break. I even change my clothes, and maybe shower, I feel so sweaty after being in parks for hours with temps in the 90s. We usually leave park by 2 and return around 5-6. Park hoppers are a must, IMHO, if you take the afternoon breaks.

We drive to the parks, usually, so getting back to our resort and to another park later, is a bit quicker than using the bus. (also sometimes can walk back to a resort). It is all personal preference though, if people prefer to not take breaks, that is great if that suits them best.

For us, it depends on the time of year.

In early January, with abbreviated hours, we don't take breaks. When parks are open late, we take the break.

When the parks close early, it's hard to
waste the travel time only to go back and eat dinner watch fireworks and basically have to leave.

We're about to head down for our second trip, and are planning to use a similar plan to what we did last time. RD or pre-opening breakfast, and go hard until early afternoon (2? 4? Depends how kids are doing). Then back to the hotel for nap/rest/swim/shower and out for a relaxing TS dinner. Then bed! We don't have hoppers and our kids are 8 mo and 4. This won't be our last trip, so we don't have to do every single thing.

We are rope drop people and love to close out the park as well. But we take a break in between. We usually take a day or two to go back to the resort and enjoy the pool and just relax followed up with dinner around 5:30 and then back to the park. For the days we don't go back to the resort we still have dinner around 5:30. I should say we almost never eat dinner in the parks (except Epcot) and enjoy a signature dinner at one of the resorts near the park we are in.

I prefer doing RD and going until close, however late it is. However, we are taking our DS who will be 4 for his first extended WDW stay. We did a one day with him this summer at MK and loved it, but it was a short day, and included him napping in the stroller for about an hour while my DW and I continued to tour. With this being an extended stay this time, we will have the time to spread things out, go to the resort for the afternoon heat and crowds, nap, swim, whatever, then we plan to go close the park around 4. Hope it works out, all depends on DS...best laid plans... We do have only one day for RD to close for one of the MK days. It is the last day, then hopefully he will sleep much of the next day for the drive home...lol! Again, best laid plans!

When we visited in August we took afternoon breaks. We hit the parks at RD or for EMH and then left the parks by around 1pm and headed back to the resort to swim and watch some TV with the AC on full blast! When we were at MK we also went on the monorail for an afternoon visit to the Contemporary, Grand Floridan and Polynesian. The afternoon breaks helped us get out of the heat and recharge before heading back to the parks late afternoon/evening until close.

In Sept/Oct though we didn't take an afternoon break as the heat wasn't as intense and the parks hours were more limited during this period compared to summer months.

We always go back to the resort at around 2ish but seems like everyone else does too. The resort suddenly gets very busy after lunch so no real advantage as far as resting around a pool etc. Its just good to sit down for a bit or flop on a bed for 45 minutes.

DD was barely 5 on our first trip and we did rope drop to fireworks with no afternoon break. We have done the same ever since. It just wastes too much time in transit unless you stay on the monorail, which we cannot afford. We do tend to find a place to sit and relax for a while mid afternoon.

We do t travel in the heat though, so that would make a difference. Our one June trip for SWW we did go back to the pool midday.

We tried a mid-day break once and found it to be a momentum killer. We were much more tired after the break than we normally were.

We tried afternoon breaks. They went something like this . . .. decide to leave the park, wrangle everyone to the bus, ride back to resort, an hour and a half down. Try to wrangle the kids into a nap, 45 minutes wasted, no one gets any sleep. Go swimming, another hour and a half down, get dressed, ride bus back to park, 2 hours. Total time spent over 5 hours, rest gotten . . . nada. Ultimately, we felt that the afternoon "break" at the resort didn't give us a break, it took more out of us.

Now, we spend that afternoon time in the park just taking it easy. Nice long leisurely lunch, preferably indoors for some cooling off. Strolling at a slower pace, taking in shows, doing some shopping, just really taking it easy while still being in the park. It leaves us with more energy than we had after taking that mid day break at the resort.

We only tried taking an afternoon break once, and these experiences mirrored ours. We prefer to take a break in the park. Watch CoP, get an ice cream, ride People Mover a few times....Too much hassle to leave and come back. It is definitely a momentum killer.

Could any of the WDW vets give some Some advice on my families first trip to WDW? We are staying at AKL and unfortunately only get one day in the parks (not complaining we just decided to try our first dcl also). we want to do MK on a weekday in mid May. dS will be 5 and is a pretty tough kid that seems to go and go without needing much rest but I really wanted to take advantage of rope drop AND seeing the nighttime shows is a must for me. Should we attempt to take the long track back to AK for a mid day break of just take it easy all afternoon? TIA!!

My family has never been an afternoon break group. We rope drop to the park close. I'm wondering if I should add it to my upcoming trip in June. So how long do you take? If on Disney buses I'm figuring it would take an hour to get there and back. How long swimming and napping?

Is there something that sways you one way or the other?
I'll got back for a rest only if I'm at a monorail resort and plan to do EMH. Otherwise it is not worth the hassle. At POR I would not go back for a rest break unless I had a car.

Could any of the WDW vets give some Some advice on my families first trip to WDW? We are staying at AKL and unfortunately only get one day in the parks (not complaining we just decided to try our first dcl also). we want to do MK on a weekday in mid May. dS will be 5 and is a pretty tough kid that seems to go and go without needing much rest but I really wanted to take advantage of rope drop AND seeing the nighttime shows is a must for me. Should we attempt to take the long track back to AK for a mid day break of just take it easy all afternoon? TIA!!
In your situation I would definitely not try a trip back to the resort. Find an in park spot for some downtime.

For one day, definitely do not attempt an afternoon break. You are looking at spending at least 3 hours out of the park for a break, with at least 1 hour of that travel time. I'd rope drop, get at least 10 attractions completed by noon, have a leisurely lunch, then take it easy the rest of the day. You will get more out of your day, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!