Stopping to Smell the roses...literally!

Aside from answering the thousands of questions the guests have about flowers in DL, the book serves as a guide if someone were to have a bad reaction to one of the plants.

DL has the best customer service and experience of any theme park I have ever been to. I will gladly pay extra for the level of service and sense of style that Walt instilled in this park.

I love all of the flowers at Disneyland. And I love that they switch them out often. I have some older pictures but they are just pictures from my point and shoot camera. Everyone elses photos make mine look really crappy. :(

My favorites are the mums they plant in the fall.

I thought these were so pretty.

IMG_3668-1.jpg

IMG_3669-2.jpg

Oooooooohhhh! Purty!! Love those! Actually, any one of those flowers would be pretty on its own, but I love love love all the different colors thrown in together!!

Disney is so detailed, and they are very calculated with their horticulture!:rotfl2::rotfl2: It goes beyond simply changing the colors of flowers for different seasons or holidays. In some areas, the flowers are all one type and all one color, because it may fit the area or theme of that area better. In some cases, they may want the main surroundings & facades to grab your attention, and the flowers are only a complement to them, so the flowers take a back seat. And in other spots, like this spot in DCA in your pics above, I almost get the feeling that they are taking an otherwise kind of bland, colorless patch of land in DCA and putting something really vibrant and alive in there - and the flowers almost become the main player, as they bring that whole area to life and really draw your attention to them!

I guess it makes perfect sense - World of Color is going to be the new dominating force in DCA for a little while, so what else could they possibly put in there but an array of gorgeous, colorful flowers to bring the idea of color to that spot? See? They are very calculated and well-thought out!!

I love all of the flowers at Disneyland. And I love that they switch them out often. I have some older pictures but they are just pictures from my point and shoot camera. Everyone elses photos make mine look really crappy. :(

My favorites are the mums they plant in the fall.

Go ahead and post them! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see them. I use a point and shoot camera as well.

You don't know how much I LOVE this thread....:lovestruc. The horticulture is one of the main reasons why I love going.

Since, I will be there next Friday, June 4th, I must contribute to this fabulous thread with a picture or two of something that catches my eye. I pledge to be on the lookout! Thanks!

I can't deal with that Canon manual. Actually, it came with 3 or 4 books - Im sure yours did too. It's too technical and too much to read for a P&S!!

I just had to look at this thread again - deejdigsdis' photos of Frontierland using the color accent feature really inspired me - so much so that I have ordered a camera with this feature - it's the IXUS 110 IS - to be picked up from my local store tomorrow. Hope those pink flowers are still out in a week's time - I would love to be able to replicate those photos. Unfortunately I won't have deejdigsdis DH there to show me know. Is the Canon manual really that difficult to understand? yes I'm a P&S type too:goodvibes

I just had to look at this thread again - deejdigsdis' photos of Frontierland using the color accent feature really inspired me - so much so that I have ordered a camera with this feature - it's the IXUS 110 IS - to be picked up from my local store tomorrow. Hope those pink flowers are still out in a week's time - I would love to be able to replicate those photos. Unfortunately I won't have deejdigsdis DH there to show me know. Is the Canon manual really that difficult to understand? yes I'm a P&S type too:goodvibes

Well, part of the trouble may be me!:rotfl2: I'm just not patient enough, or I don't have the time to deal with it. For a long, long time I used an old reliable 35 mm camera, which, in many ways, was easier to use and sometimes took better photos than my new Canon SD 880. When I got the SD880 last year and opened up the box, I noticed 4 books in the package.:scared1: (One of the books may have been in Spanish, but even 3 books is too much for me to read.) To me, that is too much reading to do for a P&S.

So I set aside all but one of the books - the main manual that explains all the features - and this is the one I bring with me to DLR or wherever. I still have not had the patience to sit down and really go through the manual step by step, with camera in hand, so I can actually test out where everything is and how to work it. If I had that kind of time or patience, I'm sure I could get much better photos out of the camera. I kind of just looked up what I needed to know to get the thing working, and that was about it!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Many of these manuals are a bit too technical or detailed for the layman. I mean, I'm old! My brain is tired! Cut me some slack, Canon!:rotfl2: I would bet that a lot of people have P&S cameras that are capable of doing a lot more than what they are aware they can do - but no one has the time to fiddle with figuring out where everything is in the darn manual!! People want to just grab their point and shoot and, well....point it and shoot!!:rotfl2: I would bet that a lot of people just figure things out as they go along, while using the camera. Trial by fire!

I found myself taking a lot more flower pictures this time, just because I kept thinking about this thread.... :laughing:

Here are a few:

Harbor Blvd:
i72C443B7-C804-4283-841A-2DBB229E4E0B.jpg

Sunshine Plaza in DCA:
i7EE8139C-00E5-4E25-B420-584FE7F030A4.jpg

Storybookland Canal Boats:
i92132504-8C27-43A2-BF37-0EC310C3FFA9.jpg

In front of Pinocchio's Daring Journey:
iC4E03853-9516-46DD-AD17-1FA4BE84B86A.jpg

Between Frontierland and Adventureland:
i1F13BE3A-A102-4155-BFED-215325422927.jpg

One of the WOC display's in DCA:
iC7E67578-DA76-4E62-83DE-A671EA65D2E0.jpg

Just outside Big Thunder Ranch:
i4D7EBB6B-1B28-438B-9F24-1B9A531879A7.jpg

Outside of Rancho del Zocalo:
i548915AB-F8DE-48CB-AE9D-4D3DBC0C871F.jpg

iF7BD2D25-BAFA-4FDB-B1AB-D3159ECCA11B.jpg

i113758BF-8731-4E0B-9F49-006F2186ED3E.jpg

Pixie Hollow:
i44502EC9-B8DF-4F3A-BF88-C4EFDA59C1D2.jpg

Oh man, these pics make me homesick....LOL :) Thanks for sharing, they really are awesome!

Oh Jernysgirl! You really highlighted my favorite landscaping in the parks. I love the area in Frontierland, love Pixie Hollow and Rancho del Zocalo is my favorite. Thank you for reminding me why I love DLR so much! :cheer2:

Great pics jernysgirl! Next time we go (which is hopefully next week!) I'm going to have to get a picture of our favorite flowers in the park which is a garden on the side of the path that goes to bug's land. It's how I wish our garden at home looked.

It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS -- looks like a run-of-the-mill small point-and-shoot digital camera. The setting is called "Color Accent". You basically select to retain a single color and change the rest to black and white. Like I said, I didn't even know it could do that. Maybe if I would just pull out the manual and read it...;)

I'm enjoying everyone's pictures. Love the purple flowering trees. :thumbsup2 I've never heard of (or noticed) the edibles in Tomorrowland. I guess I do remember seeing some fruits once but they looked too big and round to be lemons. I'll have to find a pic and put it up.

I have the same camera but i dont know where to find the color accent feature. I only see the my colors section and on my previous Cannon it flat out said Color accent. Help me please because i was bummed thinking this camera didnt have that feature but since you have the same camera looks like i might be wrong? (crossing my fingers)
TY! :flower3:
I'm going to look out for flowers more too on my next trip, esp that rose by Alice in Wonderland!
What does the Official Disney Rose look like?

All the pictures are beautiful. :flower3:

I am looking forward to my first trip to DLR in January. Will the flowers be out then??

I always take pictures of the landscaping at WDW and US. Here are a couple of pix from my most recent trip to WDW in May.

P5090094.jpg
P5080047.jpg

Love this thread!!! I have the "Official Disneyland Rose" along with the Belle Rose (Yellow), Snow White Rose (Red), and Sleeping Beauty's Rose (exactly the color of her pink dress!!!). I'll post pictures when I figure out how ;o) or you can go to Jackson & Perkins site (I can't do a link since I have under 10 posts-yeah, I'm a newbie! Search under "Disney". I also have a small corner for my own Pixie Hollow.

It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS -- looks like a run-of-the-mill small point-and-shoot digital camera. The setting is called "Color Accent". You basically select to retain a single color and change the rest to black and white. Like I said, I didn't even know it could do that. Maybe if I would just pull out the manual and read it...;)

I'm so excited, I have the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS. I just looked at it and figured it out with your explanation. :cool1: Now I'm going to look and see if my Nikon 3000 does this. My DH just got if for me and I have no idea how to use it (other than just take pictures).:rotfl: I have wanted a nice camera for a long time and now just need to figure out how to use it before our Oct. DL trip.:scared1: So thanks for starting this thread.:flower3:

Yay! I was so happy to see that this thread had been bumped with new pictures! I love it.

:laughing: I just told my husband that he got a shout-out on Disboards. :goodvibes I hope you enjoy your new camera, and that the flowers are still going strong when you go to DL. In answer to the manual question... I just think they are way too wordy. My instructions will cut out several steps that they said to do. ;)

I have the same camera but i dont know where to find the color accent feature. I only see the my colors section and on my previous Cannon it flat out said Color accent. Help me please because i was bummed thinking this camera didnt have that feature but since you have the same camera looks like i might be wrong? (crossing my fingers)
TY! :flower3:
I'm going to look out for flowers more too on my next trip, esp that rose by Alice in Wonderland!
What does the Official Disney Rose look like?

OK. I just figured it out for myself. I'm going to upload the pictures I just took to demonstrate and do a simple tutorial. Well, I hope it's simple. I know it will be much simpler than what the manual says to do. If it was light outside right now I would have taken demo pics with flowers. But since it's dark, I had to find something colorful inside to do the trick. A good 'ol Life cereal box. ;) Be back soon with the pics.

All the pictures are beautiful. :flower3:

I am looking forward to my first trip to DLR in January. Will the flowers be out then??

Just like in WDW flowers are always out at a Disney resort. They rotate what they can to ensure that the gardens are in bloom. But depending on the variety the bushes or trees that can't be switched out may or may not be in bloom.

A few people were interested in learning how to do this:

IMG_3445-1.jpg

I don't have a fancy camera. It's a run-of-the-mill Point and Shoot that fits in my pocket -- Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Digital Elph. The info I'll share comes from the Color Accent section on pg. 89 in the manual, just simplified a bit because I thought they listed too many steps.

Rough drawing of the back of the camera :)

IMG_4443-1.jpg

I wanted a colorful subject, but it's dark outside so I couldn't do flowers. I used a Life cereal box instead and went from this...

IMG_4433-1.jpg

To this...

IMG_4435-1.jpg

...by changing the setting on the camera. Here's how to do it.

- Turn on camera

- Set to "camera" icon on top right button (in between "AUTO" and the video icon)

- Push "FUNC. SET" button

- Push side arrow button (lightning bolt/flash button) until you highlight the eyedropper with a capital "A"

- Push "FUNC. SET"

- Push DISP.

- A little square frame will show up in the middle of the screen. Aim the camera at your subject and fill that frame with the color you want to highlight. I aimed the camera so the little frame was filled with the blue color of the "l" from "Life"

- Push the left arrow button (flower/mountain icon) until the rectangle frame at the bottom of the screen displays the color you want to highlight.

- Push DISP.

- Take picture

That's it!

- To go back to the normal mode push "FUNC. SET" and then use the side arrow button to select whatever.

- Works in video mode also. The only difference is to set camera to video icon instead of camera icon in the first step. Very cool.

I did all the letters in "Life" -- here's green.

IMG_4436-1.jpg

Orange.

IMG_4438-1.jpg

I didn't like how the red was highlighted as well. There's a way to "specify the range of colors" -- as they say in the manual. For the above picture it included a range of similar colors, so it really picked up the red. For the next picture I had it limit the range of colors, as far "negative" as it would go. Not a HUGE difference.

IMG_4439-1.jpg

Red. Same issues, but I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 different ranges -- one as far "up" as it would go, the other as far "down" as it would go -- so I only posted one picture.

IMG_4440-1.jpg

And if you want to get really crazy you can go beyond Color Accent and do a Color Swap. I changed the green "i" to purple-ish. But I'm not really sure how I did it. :rotfl:

IMG_4441-1.jpg

Hope this helps someone. It actually helped me a lot because now I know how to do it without handing the camera to my husband OR looking at the silly manual. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter