Not sure what this mom is thinking UPDATE Post 52 Cast List Announced

My two boys are in theater- one at the middle school level and one at the high school level. When they audition for shows, they go into it with NO expectations. They do their best and let the chips fall where they may.

My senior in HS was very fortunate to get a lead role in the musical last year after having never acted before (it was his first year in theater), but he can sing- very well. He didn't go into the audition hoping for or expecting a lead- he just wanted to be in the company! But he realized how lucky he was, did a great job- but didn't expect a lead again this year. I think he is very grounded :)

Same with DS13- his first year of theater was last year, and landed the role of Chip in Beauty and the Beast. Not a big role-but a "cute" one. When he auditioned, we all thought he would make the perfect Chip- he is small and his voice hasn't changed yet- total type-casting on that one! He was so angry with us- he did NOT want to be Chip!! Of course, he was happy enough when he got that part!

Your friend is doing her daughter such a great disservice. She is only in 5th grade now- but if she acts like this through middle school and high school, she is going to be one of THOSE theater people- People who are in theater know what I mean. The ones who cry when they don't get the lead, or argue with the director, or have a snit when they don't get their way. There are several in every bunch!!

I had to comment on the low number of boys- that is opposite here. We always have a lot of boys auditioning for shows- especially at the high school level.

With over 100 kids auditioning and no cuts, do they double-cast the show? That just seems like an awful lot of kids to manage in one production... especially with kids as young as 8 years old.

DD15 was just in her HS production of The Secret Garden. There were 50+ HS students in the show, all with stage experience and there was definitely some occasional chaos. We were joking that they couldn't squeeze one more "ghost" on stage. :lmao: I couldn't imagine if the cast was double the size.

With over 100 kids auditioning and no cuts, do they double-cast the show? That just seems like an awful lot of kids to manage in one production... especially with kids as young as 8 years old.

DD15 was just in her HS production of The Secret Garden. There were 50+ HS students in the show, all with stage experience and there was definitely some occasional chaos. We were joking that they couldn't squeeze one more "ghost" on stage. :lmao: I couldn't imagine if the cast was double the size.

Yes, the director mentioned in his initial email that the show might be double-cast based on the number of kids who signed up. If they double-cast, they will do four performances, so each cast gets to perform twice. Last year they did Annie. All of the major female roles were double-cast (Annie, Molly, Grace, Miss Hannigan, Lily). Daddy Warbucks and Rooster were played by the same boys for all four shows, simply because they didn't have enough boys to double-cast them. I suspect that Grease will be the same way - with the girls double-cast and the boys single-cast. I'm also wondering about the size of the ensemble. They might need to do two completely different ensembles to avoid a crowd scene on stage.

I'll tell you ....my mom just never got herself that invested in every aspect of my life when I was a kid.

Don't get me wrong...she was a great mother. Stay at home Mom so she was there for us, did all the school volunteering etc., paid attention to us but never was into all that "my child is my friend" thing...

If I had wanted to be in the school play she have said "Great!". She'd have driven me to auditions, practice and so forth. She have listened to me sing or speak my part or whatever. But all that calling me Rizzo, pretending I'm Rizzo,telling all her friends that I was going to be Rizzo, immersing herself in my "Rizzo-ness".......nope, wouldn't have happened. I can truly say that my mother did not live vicariously through me.

I’m new here but read this thread and was truly shocked that most of you seem to think the mom in the OPs post is doing a crazy thing. I think it is awesome and fantastic that she is showing such great support for her daughter and letting her know that she can be Rizzo and can get that role if she really works for it. I also think its fine that she is getting her excited about the possibility. Will the daughter be disappointed if she doesn’t get the roll? Absolutely! But that is part of life. And learning to deal with that is also an important life skill.

As a parent I think you should help boost your child’s self confidence so they can reach high and then help them work through the disappointments when they happen. Not focus on trying to ensure they don’t get too excited about something just so they won't be disappointed.

Im new here but read this thread and was truly shocked that most of you seem to think the mom in the OPs post is doing a crazy thing. I think it is awesome and fantastic that she is showing such great support for her daughter and letting her know that she can be Rizzo and can get that role if she really works for it. I also think its fine that she is getting her excited about the possibility. Will the daughter be disappointed if she doesnt get the roll? Absolutely! But that is part of life. And learning to deal with that is also an important life skill.

As a parent I think you should help boost your childs self confidence so they can reach high and then help them work through the disappointments when they happen. Not focus on trying to ensure they dont get too excited about something just so they won't be disappointed.

But theater and auditions are so subjective. Yes, the child can work hard and truly do her best. That is definitely within her power. What she can't control is who else auditions, how well they do, and the opinions and decisions of the directors. The kid can sing and act her heart out and be cast in a small role if the directors deem that others are better suited for the big roles. I think there's a difference between supporting your child's dreams and setting realistic expectations. The reality is that no one should get too set on a getting a particular role just yet.

But theater and auditions are so subjective. Yes, the child can work hard and truly do her best. That is definitely within her power. What she can't control is who else auditions, how well they do, and the opinions and decisions of the directors. The kid can sing and act her heart out and be cast in a small role if the directors deem that others are better suited for the big roles. I think there's a difference between supporting your child's dreams and setting realistic expectations. The reality is that no one should get too set on a getting a particular role just yet.

Totally agree. Totally.:thumbsup2

I think kids should go into auditions just with the hope and desire of being in the show. Not everyone gets a lead- and the supporting roles are important too.

I’m new here but read this thread and was truly shocked that most of you seem to think the mom in the OPs post is doing a crazy thing. I think it is awesome and fantastic that she is showing such great support for her daughter and letting her know that she can be Rizzo and can get that role if she really works for it. I also think its fine that she is getting her excited about the possibility. Will the daughter be disappointed if she doesn’t get the roll? Absolutely! But that is part of life. And learning to deal with that is also an important life skill.

As a parent I think you should help boost your child’s self confidence so they can reach high and then help them work through the disappointments when they happen. Not focus on trying to ensure they don’t get too excited about something just so they won't be disappointed.

:thumbsup2

Sounds like Mom just believes in her daughter and is getting her pumped up for the auditions. Whether her Mom builds her up or tells her to prepare for a let down, if the girl has her heart set on the part, she'll be disappointed either way. Might as well send her into the audition believing she'll be the best Rizzo anyone ever saw and as confident as she can be.

Perhaps Mom is under the mistaken impression that this is Method technique?

Method acting can be very effective (just ask Daniel Day-Lewis), but even the most dedicated Method actors don't normally start living a part until they actually have it.

I don't really understand why the subjectiveness of it even matters. Many things in life are subjective. Take my older son's pinewood derby. Every year we work many hours helping him craft that perfect, award winning car. Every year we tell him, yes we think it can win, because we really think it can and we believe in his ability to build that car. By derby day he is beyond excited. In 4 pinewood derbys he has only placed first once.

The quality of the other boy's cars and how the judges vote is all either subjective and out of his control. Doesn't mean we don't help build the excitement and help him get his car as good as possible. When he loses he is dissapointed but it gives him a bit more determination to get there the next time.

I know it isn't theatre, but it is a comparison. Getting a lead role is like getting first place. While supporting roles are important to the show I see no problem with helping your child aim for a lead role or a specific roll and doing what you can for them to help them get it. Maybe its our family's competitive spirit but it seems a bit ho hum to say... hey as long as you get something... especially in a situation when it seems everyone gets a role.

Is it just me, or is Grease an odd choice for a 3rd-8th grade musical? I'm trying to imagine 3rd graders as "Greasers" and "Pink Ladies" and just don't see it. :confused3

I agree. Even if you take out Rizzo's pregnancy scare there's still with Sandy's closing scene and outfit, the ever present cigarettes, the talk about stealing parts for Greased Lightening... Not exactly the type of things I would want my 9 year old involved in. The characters in that story were MEANT to be edgy-- that's why squeaky clean Sandy didn't fit in in the first place.

If you have to change the story to make it G rated, it seems to me that you're better off simply doing something age appropriate.

Aliceacc said:
Yeah, and Rizzo's pregnancy scare, along with Sandy's closing scene and outfit, aren't exactly the type of things I would want my 9 year old involved in.

I thought I was the only one scratching my head over this choice. Very odd

I don't think what this mom is doing is "crazy" at all.

It's true that she can't control who else auditions, how well they do, etc., but she can make herself more suited for the role by "getting into character" and being the best she can be during her audition.

I'm pretty sure the mom has talked to her daughter about the possibility that she won't get the role, but I don't see anything wrong with supporting her to do everything that she can in an attempt to land the role she wants.

The fact that she is already acting as though she might be Rizzo probably will improve her chances during the audition when going up against kids who have not practiced as much as she has. I don't see this being any different than a kid who is trying out to be the quarterback of a football team. If you want to be a quarterback then you have to play like a quarterback. If you want to be Rizzo then you have to act like Rizzo. That doesn't mean she's not aware of the possibility that she won't be cast, but at least she is doing everything in her power to land the role. If you want something, go for it. I don't see anything bad about this lesson in life regardless of the outcome.

My first thoughts on reading this were, "isn't Grease a little too mature a play for grades 3-8..?" Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would think something more age appropriate be chosen.
Anyway, I think it's very sweet, albeit perhaps a little excessive, that the mother is supporting her daughter and having fun with it. That being said I hope the daughter knows it's not a guarantee and to be happy with doing the best she can.

MonkeyDishwasher said:
Something about envisioning a 5th grader worrying about having a bun in her oven really creeps me out....

It probably is an age appropriate version of Grease. Many schools around here have performed Grease and I have seen a few shows. It is not what you are thinking. If it was... Yikes! I would have to agree with you.

I know it isn't theatre, but it is a comparison. Getting a lead role is like getting first place. While supporting roles are important to the show I see no problem with helping your child aim for a lead role or a specific roll and doing what you can for them to help them get it. Maybe its our family's competitive spirit but it seems a bit ho hum to say... hey as long as you get something... especially in a situation when it seems everyone gets a role.

We have plays like this here. Basically, there are about 5 starring roles, and the other 90 kids are in the background. The first audition is vocal and dance - if you are in the top 10, then you get to read. And the productions basically just bring in the families of those in it, because when you have a show where everyone makes it, it can really be pathetic! I sat through many, with my kids in the background, and with leads, when they were older. So glad we're done with them!

I know, right! Have they ever listened to the lyrics of "Greased Lightning"? :faint:

You said what I was thinking!! My bestest friend from HS was somewhat of a prude and Grease was her most favorite movies - I REALLY didn't want to ruin it for her... I waited until she was married and had kids! She was FLOORED! :rotfl:

Im new here but read this thread and was truly shocked that most of you seem to think the mom in the OPs post is doing a crazy thing. I think it is awesome and fantastic that she is showing such great support for her daughter and letting her know that she can be Rizzo and can get that role if she really works for it. I also think its fine that she is getting her excited about the possibility. Will the daughter be disappointed if she doesnt get the roll? Absolutely! But that is part of life. And learning to deal with that is also an important life skill.

As a parent I think you should help boost your childs self confidence so they can reach high and then help them work through the disappointments when they happen. Not focus on trying to ensure they dont get too excited about something just so they won't be disappointed.

There was a thread here last week about a mother asking if she is crushing her kids dreams by saying their sights are set too high. She got lambasted.

This mother supporting her daughter to the max is being ripped apart too.

Such is the nature of the Dis.

We don't care what someone is doing, but we are going to start with the assumption that it is probably wrong.

I have been participating in theatre, in some aspect, for the past 50 years. I have performed in summer stock and now do mostly community theatre. My dd, 19, is a theatre major in college. I have always been very down to earth about her talents. She has gotten better over the years, and when I finally told her that I didn't see any Kate in her first collegiate performance in Sept, she cried!!! She knew I really meant it.

We don't do our children any service by building them up falsely. Sure, the mother can help her dd prepare. But to be calling her Rizzo and alluding to that on FB?? Seriously??? How in heaven's name is that going to give her dd a better audition?? In school productions, it is generally the older kids that get the larger roles. And Rizzo is the female lead in the play Grease!! Man, was the young girl that got the part of Sandy in our production surprised when she saw what a small role it was in the play vs the movie!! Not a happy camper to say the least.

Anyway...older kids should get the larger roles. they have paid their 'dues' so to speak by being in the ensembles and chorus. It's their turn to shine. Now, if a younger kid is really 'all that and a bag of chips' then sure, they should get a larger role. No problem with that.
But in all reality, there are many reasons for casting certain people in certain roles...even at this age level. Perhaps mom would do her dd a service by giving her support but not build her up quite so much. It's hard to not get the part when you've had that build up at home!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter