Not sure what this mom is thinking UPDATE Post 52 Cast List Announced

There is certainly nothing wrong with mom encouraging her DD to go for the part she wants, but seriously, posting it all over facebook and involving the general public in her encouragement is just messed up. My DD (13) is also a theater geek, and she has tried out for many roles in many plays. Sometimes she gets a "good" role, and sometimes she doesn't. If she has a specific role in mind in going in to an audition, I never know that. She never says. And, at her age, she is honestly thrilled to be part of the process. She has such an amazing and healthy attitude about it. (One director told her once that "she takes criticism like a man"....whatever that means....:rotfl2:). She recently completed a role as Pinocchio (in the play of the same name)...high school play...she is in 7th grade. There is no way she ever thought she would get THAT part, and was shocked when she did. I think, honestly, that her sweet and straightforward attitude, combined with her strong work ethic, helped her get the role. She is NOT a prima donna.

The child OP describes is being raised as a prima donna, and directors do not like dealing with those kids.

Also, in plays for younger kids, no one ever "reads" for any given role (in my experience)...they do their monologue, and may cold read something...then the director assigns roles. It's not like they say "everyone who wants to be Rizzo...your turn!"

I have seen families where everyone gets excited about the littlest things.

Does everyone think it's impossible for these folks to show this kind of enthusiasm and wishful thinking without it being some kind of psychological abnormality?

As fast as everyone can picture how whacko and damaged these folks are, I can just as easily picture her not getting the part and just saying, "Oh darn, I'll get the part I want next time."

I think the pessimism and immediate jump to negative conclusions says more about the people having these thoughts than the family in question.

There are a lot of negative folks everywhere. Lets poop all over this positive family.

There is certainly nothing wrong with mom encouraging her DD to go for the part she wants, but seriously, posting it all over facebook and involving the general public in her encouragement is just messed up. My DD (13) is also a theater geek, and she has tried out for many roles in many plays. Sometimes she gets a "good" role, and sometimes she doesn't. If she has a specific role in mind in going in to an audition, I never know that. She never says. And, at her age, she is honestly thrilled to be part of the process. She has such an amazing and healthy attitude about it. (One director told her once that "she takes criticism like a man"....whatever that means....:rotfl2:). She recently completed a role as Pinocchio (in the play of the same name)...high school play...she is in 7th grade. There is no way she ever thought she would get THAT part, and was shocked when she did. I think, honestly, that her sweet and straightforward attitude, combined with her strong work ethic, helped her get the role. She is NOT a prima donna.

The child OP describes is being raised as a prima donna, and directors do not like dealing with those kids.

Also, in plays for younger kids, no one ever "reads" for any given role (in my experience)...they do their monologue, and may cold read something...then the director assigns roles. It's not like they say "everyone who wants to be Rizzo...your turn!"

That's exactly how this group runs auditions. No one was required to come with anything prepared. They spent a few minutes teaching the first few bars of Summer Nights. Then they had kids come up and sing in pairs. Most of the boys had to sing multiple times so each girl would have a partner. Next, they taught the main part of the Hand Jive dance. They put them in groups of 5 or 6 and had them perform it for the choreographers. The next day, they had everyone sing Summer Nights again since the music director couldn't make it the first day and needed to hear everyone sing solo. The show director had everyone stand up, introduce themselves, and give an interesting fact about themselves. He wanted to get a sense of their speaking voices, personalities, and comfort level speaking in front of a group.

After a break, the kids were divided into groups. One very large group was taken to another room to learn one of the dances in the show. The other group sang again, and read scenes from the show in pairs. They shuffled the pairs several times so they could see how the kids looked and acted together. The directors never told the kids exactly what they were looking for, but my DS said it was obvious that they were the finalists for Danny, Sandy, Rizzo, and Kennike. DS said my friend's DD was in the large group that was taken to the other room. Nothing was announced formally about these kids being the finalists, and they could very well bring in other kids for that part on Tuesday. However, we're pretty familiar with this arts group and DS told me which girls were reading in the room with him. They were pretty much all middle school girls who had theater experience and had been cast in big roles by these directors before. They seemed to be going with their tried and true actors. We won't have a cast list until Thursday but, from experience with this arts group, I suspect the leads will end up being among the kids who were pulled out to read and sing again.

I have seen families where everyone gets excited about the littlest things.

Does everyone think it's impossible for these folks to show this kind of enthusiasm and wishful thinking without it being some kind of psychological abnormality?
As fast as everyone can picture how whacko and damaged these folks are, I can just as easily picture her not getting the part and just saying, "Oh darn, I'll get the part I want next time."

I think the pessimism and immediate jump to negative conclusions says more about the people having these thoughts than the family in question.

There are a lot of negative folks everywhere. Lets poop all over this positive family.

I see your point, but I really think this situation has gone beyond wishful thinking and more toward the assumption that it's a done deal. This show is the DD's first theater experience and the family has jumped in both feet. It's fine to work toward a certain role. But, going around calling your DD Rizzo not only artificially raises her hopes, but's it's going to really put off other parents whose kids are also auditioning. My DS is in a theater group outside of school and the kids and parents really support each other. They don't go around saying they're going to get a particular role. No one walks around with assumption that they're the best. Everyone works together.

Another story my DS told me - a 6th grader (also his first time in a show) walked up to where the boys were sitting on the first day of auditions. He announced that he would be getting the role of Danny because he owns a leather jacket. His mother told him to wear it everyday so the directors would realize he's the logical choice for the role! Some of the boys shot back and told him he was nuts. My DS said he just put his head down, studied the song lyrics, and ignored him. He knows that ownership of a leather jacket does not guarantee a role!

Another story my DS told me - a 6th grader (also his first time in a show) walked up to where the boys were sitting on the first day of auditions. He announced that he would be getting the role of Danny because he owns a leather jacket. His mother told him to wear it everyday so the directors would realize he's the logical choice for the role! Some of the boys shot back and told him he was nuts. My DS said he just put his head down, studied the song lyrics, and ignored him. He knows that ownership of a leather jacket does not guarantee a role!

:rotfl2: I'm sure I know the answer, but do tell... did leather jacket boy get the part?

:rotfl2: I'm sure I know the answer, but do tell... did leather jacket boy get the part?

We won't have a cast list until next week. I do know that the leather jacket boy was not put into the room where the possible finalists were reading. DS said there was only one boy who was asked to read for Danny, opposite 4 or 5 girls for Sandy. Yes, I will admit that the finalist for Danny is my DS. However, we both know it's not a done deal until he sees his name on the list!

I think the most disturbing part of this for me revolves around the whole "social media" culture.
The fact that the mom is being overly or forcefully "supportive" is one thing (definitely seen my fair share of those moms in my drama/theater/pageant days) doesn't bother me as much as the POSSIBLE set up for continuing disappointment as this girl (and the mom) will have to relive over and over on FB or even out in public. There is a big difference between my mom being excited and supportive (back in the day,) and telling her friends/co-workers and calling Aunts/grandparents and saying I was auditioning for this, or participating in that, and bamblasting it across what could possibly be hundreds of people (maybe more) some of whom may not "read" the notification saying "Rizzo isn't really Rizzo, but Pinklady #3 because the girl who got the part knew the director's sister's cousins bestfriend, and the role went to her instead even though little Suzie snowflake was SO MUCH BETTER (of course) than she was, and deserved the role." therefore potentially setting up for having to revisit little Suzie's dissappointment over and over and over again.

Stage moms will always live vicariously through thier children, but they will NEVER learn that a good dose of HUMBLE PIE goes a long way, or that crow tastes like crap served with left over humility.

I also wonder if there were un-shared conversations at home between the mom and the child that went along the lines of "Honey, I really support you wanting this, and I'll be completely supportive, but just know that there's no guarantee that the role will be yours." At least I can only hope that there were.

How rude to the other girls who may be going out for that part! Can you imagine having a DD was trying out for the same role and having to see or hear about how her special snowflake was the only one destined to get the part? What a disgusting parent.

How rude to the other girls who may be going out for that part! Can you imagine having a DD was trying out for the same role and having to see or hear about how her special snowflake was the only one destined to get the part? What a disgusting parent.

There are all kinds of parents out there.

We read about horrible parents every day in the news.

But, you reserve the word "disgusting" for the mother who is going a little overboard as a cheerleader for her daughter? Not so sure I agree.

Well, the cast list for Grease was announced today. My friend's DD did not get cast as Rizzo. She was cast in the Ensemble. Mom's Facebook post today said, "DD did not get Rizzo. She is sad. We all are. She probably would have gotten it if she wasn't competing against middle school kids."

The directors decided to double-cast the show. They did a cast with mostly middle school kids as the leads. They also did what they call a "mini cast" with younger or smaller kids in the leads. Each cast will perform two shows. They divided it up this way because they had close to 100 kids audition, and they wanted to give the younger kids a chance to play leads. Putting a 5th grade girl as Sandy with a very tall 8th grade boy as Danny wouldn't look right! The younger Danny and Sandy are 5th and 6th graders. The older ones are 7th and 8th graders. It's nice that all of the kids had the opportunity to get the bigger roles.

My DS14 was cast as Danny in the older cast. The Sandy in his cast is a 7th grader whom he knows well. They played Rev. Moore and his wife in a summer production of Footloose. They act and sing really well together and they'll be adorable as Danny and Sandy (yes, I'm biased!).

I did glance thorough the script and it is cleaned up quite a bit. The gang is called the Burger Palace Boys instead of the T-Birds. It's a lot of dancing around the Burger Palace and at the dance competition. There's no pregnancy storyline or bad language. It should be fun.:)

Is it just me, or is Grease an odd choice for a 3rd-8th grade musical? I'm trying to imagine 3rd graders as "Greasers" and "Pink Ladies" and just don't see it. :confused3

I just stumbled on this thread, and the first thing I thought of was... WHAT?!?! Why would kids that young be doing grease?? BAD directing choice. I wouldn't let my 5th grader participate.

(And I majored in theater!)

ETA: I see there's a revised version, but wow! ;) And congrats to your son.

I just stumbled on this thread, and the first thing I thought of was... WHAT?!?! Why would kids that young be doing grease?? BAD directing choice. I wouldn't let my 5th grader participate.

(And I majored in theater!)

Check out my update post above. It's Grease Jr. It's completely cleaned up. No sex, no pregnancy scare. No T-Birds (Burger Palace Boys). It's a lot of singing and dancing around. The arts group only does junior versions of shows for kids that young.

Congratulations to your DS! (Time to come clean, you were calling Danny for the past 3 weeks and he had a leather jacket! :rotfl: )

I hope the little non-Rizzo isn't too disappointed and enjoys herself.

Check out my update post above. It's Grease Jr. It's completely cleaned up. No sex, no pregnancy scare. No T-Birds (Burger Palace Boys). It's a lot of singing and dancing around. The arts group only does junior versions of shows for kids that young.

LOL, I just edited my post before you posted.

Congratulations to your DS! (Time to come clean, you were calling Danny for the past 3 weeks and he had a leather jacket! :rotfl: )

I hope the little non-Rizzo isn't too disappointed and enjoys herself.

Actually, we told him there's a good role as the left fender on the car that he would be perfect for! No leather jacket, just a collection of hoodies!!!!!:)

I think my friend's DD will be fine. I commented on her Facebook post and told her that DD has a great chance this year to impress the directors for next year. They tend to notice kids who are on time, prepared, rehearse at home and above all, stay quiet and attentive at every rehearsal. I said her DD's good work ethic will get her noticed. Next year they will remember her as a hard worker.

Actually, we told him there's a good role as the left fender on the car that he would be perfect for! No leather jacket, just a collection of hoodies!!!!!:)

I think my friend's DD will be fine. I commented on her Facebook post and told her that DD has a great chance this year to impress the directors for next year. They tend to notice kids who are on time, prepared, rehearse at home and above all, stay quiet and attentive at every rehearsal. I said her DD's good work ethic will get her noticed. Next year they will remember her as a hard worker.

That was a really classy thing to say to her. Major kudos to you! :thumbsup2

My dd, as I think I posted before, is a theatre major in college...she's a freshman. She has been active in theatre since she was 8. Now, she's 5'10'', so she hasn't gotten many leads, since they normally cast the guys first and then go with the female leads. She has done two collegiate productions and was cast in Laramie Project-Ten Years Later. She was so happy since freshman girls seldom get cast in the spring drama.
So....she auditioned for Avenue Q. It was a bad audition and she knew it. But, she got a call back..which evidently was better but still not terrific. Her boyfriend was cast in the lead, as well as his best friend and another good guy friend. So now, she had to sit there and listen to all her best friends and boyfriend, chatting about rehearsals and such. I felt so badly for her. But, I told her to find some way to participate...maybe lighting or such. Told her to be a team player and make an impression on the directing staff. All stuff that she already knew but I like to reinforce that mentality!! It's a hard thing to do. Even if you get into the ensemble, at least you're in the show. There is no ensemble in this show, so she was out of luck. So very sad.
So, yesterday she called me in tears. I thought something very bad had happened. Nope. One of the girls cast in the show had dropped out. So the musical director pulled Kate into her office to tell her that she was now in the show!!!
So....even if your child doesn't get the part they want, there is always the chance something will change. And it's always a good idea for those not chosen to participate, to find some other way to be a part of the group. It sends such a great message to the directors and others in power. Being a team player is a much better idea, in the long run, then being a diva who pouts and carries on when they don't get what they want. So, great advice to give your friend and her dd!!! WAy to go!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter