Names/places you pronounce wrong

I just realized I missed the name or place name part of the topic. Sorry! I don't know any Yolks (ha) but I do know a guy whose name is Wolf. Plus there's Wolf Van Halen.

I probably shared this before but I found this several years ago--the city I live in is featured in there and people do often get it wrong; there are a few cities that are hard even for us who live in the state (decent number have Native American origins).

I can’t say names Rory or Aurora. Something about the R in those types of words.
Rory I can usually say but Aurora I have a hard time with. I think you're right with the R's it may be because the R's aren't separated from each other much. For whatever reason if I say "Princess Aurora" (meaning Disney which is where my mind always connects the name with lol) I'm not tripped up as much but if I just try to say "Aurora" yup back to getting tripped up.

same with Sean. Always read it as seen as a kid.
Geoff too. Is it Jeff or Jawff? For the first time I know someone who pronounces it Jeff. When to primary school with a kid who pronounced it Jawff.

Is Corinne pronounced Cor-rin or Cor- reen? I work with a Cor-rin, every other Corrine I have known pronounced it Cor-reen.

Not me but my husband cannot say the name Eric and it drives me crazy. He says it Ear-ick

Last edited:
Geoff too. Is it Jeff or Jawff? For the first time I know someone who pronounces it Jeff. When to primary school with a kid who pronounced it Jawff.

Right?! It think it is widely considered Jeff. But I still read it as jee off.

I mispronounce the chicken fast food place Popeye's. I say it with the accent on the pop eye's. But most say pipe eye's.

Tough question, if a person knew they pronounced a thing wrong wouldn't they correct it and, therefore, stop being wrong?

Just sayin, caught me in a loop for a few beats lol ;)
my dad says wuhter for water and ruff for roof.

my mom recently said kahmahlah for Kamala.

I’m sure there’s more I might think of later.

edit: maybe it’s more like. Wooder :)
must be from Philly?

Irish names leave most english speakers scratching their head.

My favorite is Caoimhe. It's often pronounced Kiva or kinda like Kaweeva. Come across it once in a while in NJ and never remember how to pronounce it. Caoimhe, the feminine of Kevin.

No outsiders ever pronounce our county or city of Passaic correct. It's Piss-ache.

Last edited:
I work in the loan dept, and for the longest time I was talking to people about the their Chevrolet Traverse pronounced like the city in Michigan instead of the way you pronounce the word "traverse" :sad2:

But I bet you can pronounce Ypsilanti and Charlevoix! :D

And for non-Michiganders, the city of Charlotte, MI is not pronounced like Shar-Lit in Charlotte's Web or Charlotte, NC. No no no, in Michigan the city is pronounced, Shar-LOT. You will get a side glance if you say Shar-Lit. LOL

Prescott, AZ

It's not press-cot, but press-cuht.

We were corrected on this when we went to visit there a few years ago.

Last edited:
How on earth did they come up with that pronunciation with that spelling.
same with Sean. Always read it as seen as a kid.

Seamus is the Irish form of James.
Sean is the Irish form of John.

Those two are fairly common and well known, but there are many names from the Irish Gaelic or Scottish Gaelic languages that are pronounced nothing like they look to English speakers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter