• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Names/places you pronounce wrong

Mostly all of the places here in upstate NY named for Native American tribes 😂

I got the FL ones down since I grew up there, but these are tough ones up here!

Mostly all of the places here in upstate NY named for Native American tribes 😂

I hear you. Coming from California, my mother & I were headed to meet some cousins in what we thought was North Chili (pronounced like the bean dish with spices - chill-lee), but were informed when we asked what turn to take it was ch-eye-lie.

I don't know, people from outside our area make some strange assumptions about how things should be pronounced.

We have Seamas Avenue here, pronounced as it is spelled sea-mas. People (from the south particularly) want to call is shay-mas. How they got shay-mas i have no idea, makes no sense.

People want to make everything Spanish. We have Don Julio Boulevard......pronounced Don Jew-lee-oh not Don Who-lee-oh because Don Julio was Portuguese not Spanish or Mexican.

The city of Vallejo is va-lay-ho not va-yeah-ho.

Yosemite is yo-sem-it-ee not yo-sa-mite

Tough question, if a person knew they pronounced a thing wrong wouldn't they correct it and, therefore, stop being wrong?

Just sayin', caught me in a loop for a few beats lol ;)

Yosemite
I know how to pronounce it, but every time I read it the first thing my brain thinks is “yo-seh-might” haha

I don't know, people from outside our area make some strange assumptions about how things should be pronounced.

We have Seamas Avenue here, pronounced as it is spelled sea-mas. People (from the south particularly) want to call is shay-mas. How they got shay-mas i have no idea, makes no sense.

People want to make everything Spanish. We have Don Julio Boulevard......pronounced Don Jew-lee-oh not Don Who-lee-oh because Don Julio was Portuguese not Spanish or Mexican.

The city of Vallejo is va-lay-ho not va-yeah-ho.

Yosemite is yo-sem-it-ee not yo-sa-mite
The Shay-mas is because there is a name, Seamus, that is pronounced shay-mus. So most would look at Seamas Ave and extrapolate that the first sound should be Shay.

When we first moved to Tampa a few year ago there is a majorish road called Bearss. Had no idea how it was pronounced. We were calling it Bear-ssssss and elongating the s sounds like a snake lol. Turns out it’s Beer-s.

The Shay-mas is because there is a name, Seamus, that is pronounced shay-mus. So most would look at Seamas Ave and extrapolate that the first sound should be Shay.

When we first moved to Tampa a few year ago there is a majorish road called Bearss. Had no idea how it was pronounced. We were calling it Bear-ssssss and elongating the s sounds like a snake lol. Turns out it’s Beer-s.
I would pronounce it shamus because that’s how the name is pronounced, same with Julio, hulio.

There’s several streets and neighborhoods in my area where is seems no one can agree on the pronunciation.

First there’s an area called Mueller. Some people say it’s pronounced Miller. Others call it Mew-Ler. No one knows which one is correct.

Manchaca is the other one. Looking at it, one would say Man-cha-ca. But it’s really pronounced man-shack.

I seem to pronounce "exactly", "EGGactly". And I don't appear to do this with any other words that start with "Ex".

And I'm not sure anyone in the GTA pronounces "Toronto" correctly. We can't even agree if it's "Toronna", "Toronno", "Tronna" or "Tronno".

I would pronounce it shamus because that’s how the name is pronounced, same with Julio, hulio.
How on earth did they come up with that pronunciation with that spelling.

My children tease me because I pronounce the "L" in yolk vs. saying "yoke" which is far more common. I figure it's turnabout is fair play since my sister and I used to tease my mother for saying "wuf" for "wolf."

My children tease me because I pronounce the "L" in yolk vs. saying "yoke" which is far more common. I figure it's turnabout is fair play since my sister and I used to tease my mother for saying "wuf" for "wolf."

my dad says wuhter for water and ruff for roof.

my mom recently said kahmahlah for Kamala.

I’m sure there’s more I might think of later.

edit: maybe it’s more like. Wooder :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter