Names/places you pronounce wrong

Geoff is Jeff, shortened from Geoffrey, the correct way to spell that name. Corrine is cor-in, I’ve never heard it pronounced cor-een.

Growing up I had a few classmates with the name Corrine, all pronounced Cor-een. One of my daughters is named Cairrean (K-eye-ren), guess how frequently people mispronounce it.

I don't mispronounce this one, but only because it was the next town over; Moscow, ID. It's Moss-co, not mos-cow. Oddly enough we have a Moscow, TN nearby with the same pronunciation.

Here in Southern California, my northern California upbringing cringes when they report a story from the bay area and talk about "San Rafael" (Rawf-eye-ell). Up there we call it "Ruh-fell".

Yes! I no longer live in northern California, but when I watch a news story, and they mispronounce a city name that I know I can't help but cringe. I cringe worse when people refer to California as 'Cali', and San Francisco as 'Frisco'.

Yes! I no longer live in northern California, but when I watch a news story, and they mispronounce a city name that I know I can't help but cringe. I cringe worse when people refer to California as 'Cali', and San Francisco as 'Frisco'.
I recently sent an email to the people at A&E, regarding Matt Iseman (on Live Rescue), asking PLEASE, SOMEONE tell him that it's "San FranCISCO" not "San Fran" (as he's so fond of saying)

Ski-neck-ti-dee

I could always say it, but spelling it was a problem for a while.

There is a place here named Cairo. It’s not pronounced like the city in Egypt though, it’s “care-oh”, and locals will let you know 🙄
It was Kay-row when I lived in Illinois (Ill i noi - no "s" sound on the end)

Growing up I had a few classmates with the name Corrine, all pronounced Cor-een. One of my daughters is named Cairrean (K-eye-ren), guess how frequently people mispronounce it.

I don't mispronounce this one, but only because it was the next town over; Moscow, ID. It's Moss-co, not mos-cow. Oddly enough we have a Moscow, TN nearby with the same pronunciation.
I say Moss-co instead of Moss-cow. I think that's common.

For the longest time, Worcester. The other thing was that I had no idea how to pronounce the word "paradigm" until someone corrected me. I thought it was 3 syllables.
Umm, it is 3 syllables. So I’m not sure how you’re pronouncing paradigm now. The person that corrected you was most likely wrong. Pa-ra-dime.

Last edited:
Geoff too. Is it Jeff or Jawff? For the first time I know someone who pronounces it Jeff. When to primary school with a kid who pronounced it Jawff.

Is Corinne pronounced Cor-rin or Cor- reen? I work with a Cor-rin, every other Corrine I have known pronounced it Cor-reen.

Sean and Seamus are Irish names.

When I was volunteering in a Kindergarten class, we had a student named Jade. But she pronounced it Hi-day. I felt sorry for her because she will be correcting people her whole life.

There are several cities named Reading. The proper pronunciation is RED-ing.

Reading, PA is not that far away from me. The first time I played Monopoly with my wife (who was not from the area), she said "Reeding Railroad" and I was very flummoxed

Umm, it is 3 syllables. So I’m not sure how you’re pronouncing paradigm now. The person that corrected you was most likely wrong. Pa-ra-dime.
Yeah - you got me. I thought it was 4 syllables - par-a-dig-um.

In Massachusetts, we have Worcester (Whoos-ter), Haverhill (HAY-vrill), Leominister (Lemin-ster) and Peabody (peebiddy). In Ohio there's Berlin (BURR-lin) and in Maine we have Detroit (DEE-troit) and Orono (OR-uh-no). Once in New Orleans we did a lot of driving around looking for "Chop-i-too-lis" Street, spelled "Tchoupitoulas."

When I was volunteering in a Kindergarten class, we had a student named Jade. But she pronounced it Hi-day. I felt sorry for her because she will be correcting people her whole life.
I hazard a guess that this was Spanish hypercorrection, since Hispanophones usually pronounce the J as a H (usually guttural), and always pronounces the word-final E. Non-native hypercorrection is very common among those whose first language isn't English. Where I work, I have a lot of Hispanic and Polish colleagues who often hypercorrect letters that sound different to their native languages - the latter especially tend to treat W as V as the letter W in Polish makes the V sound (the closest letter to the W sound would be Ł; L with a slash through it).

I hazard a guess that this was Spanish hypercorrection, since Hispanophones usually pronounce the J as a H (usually guttural), and always pronounces the word-final E. Non-native hypercorrection is very common among those whose first language isn't English. Where I work, I have a lot of Hispanic and Polish colleagues who often hypercorrect letters that sound different to their native languages - the latter especially tend to treat W as V as the letter W in Polish makes the V sound (the closest letter to the W sound would be Ł; L with a slash through it).

Yes, she was Hispanic. We had a boy whose name was Arian but pronounced Ah-dee-on. Nice name but everyone will think he's part of the Arian nation.

Yes, she was Hispanic. We had a boy whose name was Arian but pronounced Ah-dee-on. Nice name but everyone will think he's part of the Arian nation.
At least in Welsh, it means 'silver' or 'money', so it can have a positive meaning.

I can handle most cities named after Indians. Grew up in Waukesha, which was near Menomonee Falls, also close to Oconomowoc. i used to work in Manitowoc.

New Orleans trips me up every time. I know now that it is pronounced more like Naulins, one word. But my brain keeps thinking It is 2 separate words., so I screw this up every time.

omg I live in Manitowoc! Where did you work?

I don't know, people from outside our area make some strange assumptions about how things should be pronounced.

We have Seamas Avenue here, pronounced as it is spelled sea-mas. People (from the south particularly) want to call is shay-mas. How they got shay-mas i have no idea, makes no sense.

People want to make everything Spanish. We have Don Julio Boulevard......pronounced Don Jew-lee-oh not Don Who-lee-oh because Don Julio was Portuguese not Spanish or Mexican.

The city of Vallejo is va-lay-ho not va-yeah-ho.

Yosemite is yo-sem-it-ee not yo-sa-mite
I have to admit, I pronounced all 4 wrong 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter