Kali River Rapids...will we really get soaked?

Good to know that it seems to be fairly random, or maybe that's bad to know...... Either way thanks for evidence to the contrary!

I even somewhat arrogantly said we should stay dry thanks to the weight distribution with my son being between us. I may have even said something about physics being on our side.

Last edited:
My mother-in-law and daughter got soaked along with one other man on the ride. Everybody else - just a little.

We are riding it with an early evening Fastpass and then going to Sanaa for dinner...but I can't imagine enjoying dinner if we are all soggy.

We've gotten soaked at times and nothing at others. A poncho helps a bit, but not on the legs/feet. As someone else suggested, wear flipflops and hide the shoes, that makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Mid-May is when we were there two years ago and it was HOT. Especially Animal Kingdom where you are in the sun pretty much all day. My kids LOVED Kali, but only one of the five of us got really wet. And she dried very quickly.

For some reason, I always end up going backwards down the "drop", and yes - I get soaked.

Even if I am facing forward the entire time preceding the drop, that darn raft always miraculously starts turning right before and I go
down backwards. Every.single.time. :sad:

I would agree ponchos are useless.actually they may even get you a tad bit more wet in areas you wouldnt want to be wet..my wife and kids wore ponchos last time as I braved the ride without..long story short depending on the ponchos water may get trapped and funnel into crevices..."if peeing your pants is cool then consider me Miles Davis"

For your shoes, it helps some to put your feet up on the lower circular bar in the middle of the raft (see below).

With that and ponchos, we usually end up okay, or at worst our legs and socks get a little wet. YMMV.

Also, make sure your poncho covers your bottom (ie you're sitting on the bottom part of your poncho). Put on the poncho before you sit down. If you just slip it over your head after you're seated, you run the risk of wet shorts/pants.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the above picture:
- I thought I read that the middle section that opens up to supposedly keep your stuff dry has been replaced with free lockers. Haven't been on recently though
- Use the foot rests in the middle. The floor of the raft can fill up with water and really soak whatever shoes you may have on.

On the above picture:
- I thought I read that the middle section that opens up to supposedly keep your stuff dry has been replaced with free lockers. Haven't been on recently though
- Use the foot rests in the middle. The floor of the raft can fill up with water and really soak whatever shoes you may have on.
Yes you are correct..the middle section opens up and has enough room to put items in and does stay dry.

You should. If you don't get (repeatedly) doused by various waves throughout the trip, the water cascading down from the bridge above will finish the job.

Its probably been a decade since I've ridden, (because I don't care to get THAT soaked) and I generally don't carry ponchos around, but one time a kind bystander getting off the ride offered up to me a big black hefty trash bag with a head hole cut into it to pull over yourself as you get on, which completely did the trick and I was able to enjoy the ride and not have to endure 50 lb soaked jean shorts for the remainder of the day.

Yes you can.. also if you want to protect your stuff, there is free lockers located before the line to store your stuff, there is nowhere to protect your stuff on the rafts now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter