Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

I'll start by saying I'm super grateful for how safe and secure we felt throughout this process. I also can't say enough to express how appreciative I am for the cast, especially at Artist Pallette.

Having said that, SSR management really dropped the ball in terms of communications and expectations. Housekeeping came knocking at 10am to remind us that check out is at 11am. After getting nothing, not a text or email or call, from SSR, and the only official comms coming from Disney so urging folks to stay in their room, that was annoying. I then call front desk, wait on hold for an hour, to get clarification on what their expectation was. They could not tell me and said a manager would call me back. Nearly another hour goes by. We get a call from the manager who confirms that, yes, it's time to go. I told them we're packed and if it's safe to travel on the road then we'll just need a bell cart for our stuff and be on our way. That was 45 minutes ago. Housekeeping comes a knocking again - I let them know I'm waiting for bell services. I then call bell services to get an ETA, and the manager never put in the request, so we're just now in the queue.

We're generally pretty chill. Didn't want to bug anyone yesterday when they were trying to deal with me urgent matters. But some basic communication, to guests, between each other, was sorely lacking. Still in our room, ready to go.

I’m curious where they expect you to go. Someone posted about roads being open for emergency vehicles only. Are you driving home?

Last edited:
Just left the front desk. The CM said they just got the notice that Disney is making every attempt to open tomorrow. It could be a delayed opening. This tracks with the friend who said they had a meeting at 2pm to decide how to proceed. Fingers crossed for everyone!

We have just checked out to head to Universal. Disney went above and beyond for us. They not only discounted our extension but fully refunded us for tonight even though we checked out after 3pm.

I never imagined we would go through this but it’s an experience we’ll always remember and it won’t be a bad memory! I am super sad to leave. This will be my first trip to universal in almost 10 years and only going because a certain 10 yr old is dying to go. Hopefully his excitement will spread to me!

Good luck to everyone, hope the parks are up and running soon!

Just left the front desk. The CM said they just got the notice that Disney is making every attempt to open tomorrow. It could be a delayed opening. This tracks with the friend who said they had a meeting at 2pm to decide how to proceed. Fingers crossed for everyone!

We have just checked out to head to Universal. Disney went above and beyond for us. They not only discounted our extension but fully refunded us for tonight even though we checked out after 3pm.

I never imagined we would go through this but it’s an experience we’ll always remember and it won’t be a bad memory! I am super sad to leave. This will be my first trip to universal in almost 10 years and only going because a certain 10 yr old is dying to go. Hopefully his excitement will spread to me!

Good luck to everyone, hope the parks are up and running soon!
Is universal opening tomorrow?

Evacuation orders in St. Augustine were issued sometime Tuesday effective 6 a.m. Wednesday, so depending on the time they asked at Embassy Suites the orders might not have been issued yet & even after issued they didn’t need to go until Wednesday morning. Since they didn’t check out until after 5 p.m. Tuesday they did use the rooms several hours beyond checkout time & could have stayed the night & evacuated as per the order on Wednesday morning. I guess they left early because they wanted to get to Orlando before the storm hit there? But if so, why were they flying out of JAX rather than MCO? 🤷‍♀️
I think OP’s experience offers a lesson for those in the path of a hurricane - you need to monitor local authorities yourself. What was true an hour ago may change as authorities issue new guidance.
I would contact Hilton directly about what happened there. I’ve found their Twitter team pretty responsive. No idea if they’ll be able to refund you or offer compensation but you can make them aware the hotel was intentionally misleading guests during a dangerous time.

ETA: I mean DM them on Twitter. Not publicly calling them out or anything.
Thank you so much. I contacted Hilton and they were appalled the Embassy suites charged us when there was evacuation orders. We did change our flights to leave from MCO. Please be safe everyone. The roads are flooded.

I’m curious where they expect you to go. So one posted about roads being open for emergency vehicles only. Are you driving home?
No, but we had booked a room at the B Resort. Even though that's relatively close it wasn't clear that we'd be able to get there. We had a really hard time getting a Lyft, and bell services had no ability to get us into a Mears taxi, so even after getting bell services to our room it was another hour before we got a Lyft. Luckily we only went though one huge puddle that the Prius was able to forge through and arrived at the B safely. It's actually nice to be in a tower instead of an isolated island in Congress Park. Bar and restaurant is open. Everything is super chill, no crowds, etc. Not at all upset I had to check out, just wish we would have a had a better idea of what was expected because we had to suddenly go from hunker down mode to check out mode. That they weren't able to actually provide the services needed to get us on the road only made that more frustrating.

Think of flooding this way: many rides, utilidoors, etc. are underground. Where does water go? down. I'm guessing several rides will be flooded regardless if above ground looks clear. Same reason some hotel elevators are down, the mechanical stuff is in the basement. My guess would be some rides will be able to open, but let's also think of the staff that have their own homes to deal with. This is so sad all the way around.
The utilidors aren’t underground though. It’s the first story and where guests walk is the second story. Very little is underground in Florida because of the high water table.

Is universal opening tomorrow?
Who knows. We were told they have every expectation that they will open. Translation - maybe. But, we have reservations and should’ve been here yesterday. I preferred to ride out the storm at Disney and have no valid excuse to stay longer now that it’s over. The room is hundreds of dollars cheaper and we were told everything in the resort is operating normally. Given a choice I’d stay at WDW forever, but I have a crew itching to get to the dark side.;)

We have a dinner reservation at steakhouse 71 tonight and are very tired of our room here at pop. Uber claims they can get us there. MDE is still showing our reservation. Does any one have any idea if this would be crazy? Will they honor the reservation or would the restaurants there actually be walk in only?
This is the official answer:

Dining options for Guests staying in our Resort hotels will vary, and in some cases may be very limited. Where available, restaurants will accept walk-ups only; Guests will not need dining reservations.

Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

Dave

We have a dinner reservation at steakhouse 71 tonight and are very tired of our room here at pop. Uber claims they can get us there. MDE is still showing our reservation. Does any one have any idea if this would be crazy? Will they honor the reservation or would the restaurants there actually be walk in only?
Well-- having been there when everything was closed a day and a half, I would say at least you would get out and be somewhere else for a bit. If they are open and you show the reservation is still there, they may honor it. That happened to us after Matthew at Yachtsman Steakhouse-- our reservation was honored, even though they were telling walk-ups they were currently full for their limited staff. Of course, if you don't want to pay the Uber prices to just get out and wander around the Contemporary if it turns out your ADR isn't honored, then I probably wouldn't try. For us, by the last half of day 2, we were ready to go anywhere just for a change of scenery.

Visiting the neighbors for a change of pace. To be perfectly honest we're getting a bit antsy over here. While there's a lot of activities for kids, which is great, I wish there were some more older kid/adult activities too besides hanging out at the bar. (meanwhile we're hanging out at the bar :rotfl: ). Obviously we're grateful for everything they're doing, and this is pretty minor, but just an observation.

Also, the drinks here are delicious :drinking1

Attachments

• PXL_20220929_201308533.jpg
    PXL_20220929_201308533.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 58
Visiting the neighbors for a change of pace. To be perfectly honest we're getting a bit antsy over here. While there's a lot of activities for kids, which is great, I wish there were some more older kid/adult activities too besides hanging out at the bar. (meanwhile we're hanging out at the bar :rotfl: ). Obviously we're grateful for everything they're doing, and this is pretty minor, but just an observation.

Also, the drinks here are delicious :drinking1
Same situation at Coronado. Fitness Center, food, bar, repeat :rotfl2: :earsboy:

Who knows. We were told they have every expectation that they will open. Translation - maybe. But, we have reservations and should’ve been here yesterday. I preferred to ride out the storm at Disney and have no valid excuse to stay longer now that it’s over. The room is hundreds of dollars cheaper and we were told everything in the resort is operating normally. Given a choice I’d stay at WDW forever, but I have a crew itching to get to the dark side.;)
Well there is a pic of the Hulk roller coaster being underwater...

Yeah and part of the Jurassic building blew off. Wonder if other damage, kinda at mercy of long distance cameras and leaks for anything in any of the parks.

DS showed me photo after photo of damage and flooding at Universal hotels and parks. Incredible.

Here is the walking path from Portofino under water.

309018755_784786632755085_3482607848612329401_n.jpg

|

Last edited:

Steakhouse 71 is open but it is mobile order only right now so I honestly don't think it is worth it. You could mobile order and sit at the tables but it is quite the trip for that.

Last edited:
Disney World To Begin Recalling Theme Park Cast Members As Soon As 9pm Tonight

As Walt Disney World readies to roll out a “phased” reopening of their theme parks and Disney Springs tomorrow, they have begun to notify Cast Members that they will need to report to work as soon as 9pm tonight. Cast Members are being told to report for their next scheduled shift that starts after 9pm tonight, September 29th. All scheduled Cast Members are expected to report to work tomorrow, September 30th.

Disney World has not announced what a “phased” reopening means yet, but they have committed to sharing more details later today.

My neighbor just called me to say that her sister saw on the news that "Disney is under water". LOL This is how rumors start! I told her that I had seen no such thing and that Universal got a little more flooding so it was probably something about that park. Thanks for the picture.

Disney World To Begin Recalling Theme Park Cast Members As Soon As 9pm Tonight

As Walt Disney World readies to roll out a “phased” reopening of their theme parks and Disney Springs tomorrow, they have begun to notify Cast Members that they will need to report to work as soon as 9pm tonight. Cast Members are being told to report for their next scheduled shift that starts after 9pm tonight, September 29th. All scheduled Cast Members are expected to report to work tomorrow, September 30th.

Disney World has not announced what a “phased” reopening means yet, but they have committed to sharing more details later today.
I just looked at the 5 day calendar and although today is blocked off, the remainder of the week/weekend has the normal schedule listed with early start times.

Yes, but I think that the fact that you are addressing it through social media is a lot more likely to get attention than speaking to someone on the phone who is lord knows where. The people who handle the DMs are aware that you are aware that if they don't do the right thing, it could easily get public since you are choosing that method of contact over others.
Post on Twitter. We have had 2 issues resolved (Hilton and Southwest) after posting there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter