Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Visiting the neighbors for a change of pace. To be perfectly honest we're getting a bit antsy over here. While there's a lot of activities for kids, which is great, I wish there were some more older kid/adult activities too besides hanging out at the bar. (meanwhile we're hanging out at the bar :rotfl: ). Obviously we're grateful for everything they're doing, and this is pretty minor, but just an observation.

Also, the drinks here are delicious :drinking1
That sounds very familiar. Are they well stocked? That might have been DH's biggest Hurricane Matthew crisis-- the bars were running out of about everything! LOL.

This is the official answer:

Dining options for Guests staying in our Resort hotels will vary, and in some cases may be very limited. Where available, restaurants will accept walk-ups only; Guests will not need dining reservations.

Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

Dave
I am sorry but its confusing to me to go to an area with a pending hurricane and then wondering if the hotel and restaurants will be providing service. The cast members of WDW are not essential employees and belong home taking care of their families and homes. Just my opinion!!

That sounds very familiar. Are they well stocked? That might have been DH's biggest Hurricane Matthew crisis-- the bars were running out of about everything! LOL.
They seem to be, fortunately! So far everything we've ordered has been available.

We walked over to Ale and Compass, stood in a really long line to find when we got to the front that it was buffet room charge only. Oops.

Wandered to Boardwalk area and deli line wasn't bad. Margarita stand (yes, please), ice cream shop, and Abracadabra were all open. Trattoria, pizza, Big River, snack stand were closed.

They have not even started clearing debris from walkways around hotels here. Some missing awnings (noteably, Atlantic Dance Hall). Skyliner is operating all the way to Epcot now - took a bit for them to get them coming this direction. No sign of boats yet.

And it's cold. I see pricey sweatshirts in my future.

Does it say that or did you call them? We called and were able to get a full refund on our Universal tickets. They were also meant to start on Tuesday. Their policy is they will refund if Universal will - because Universal is refunding on their end.
We called. 3 times. My daughter also attempted to talk to them via chat but they didn’t respond after she said what she was wanting.

Universal has stepped up to the plate though and extended our tickets. I will never use UT again and will warn anyone who is contemplating using them.

I am sorry but its confusing to me to go to an area with a pending hurricane and then wondering if the hotel and restaurants will be providing service. The cast members of WDW are not essential employees and belong home taking care of their families and homes. Just my opinion!!
For my family and many others I’ve spoken with , we were here before we knew about a pending hurricane. Flights out before were not available and we don’t have a car. We had no real option other than to be here with a pending hurricane. Thankfully , many very friendly and helpful cast members have worked very hard to help guests as much as possible.

We’ve encountered a lot of European guests here at Pop and they probably had less information about hurricanes and less chance to leave early than we did.

They volunteer for these shifts because it is more money than normal. Some people can’t get the shifts and WANT them. Not my opinion but facts just ask them.

Update from Riviera- All was fine here last night and this morning. We got some water under the sliding door so the carpet was pretty wet but nothing towels can’t handle. Topolino’s and Bar Riva remain closed but the Cafe and Primo Piato are open and still serving a full menu. Primo Piato did turn off mobile ordering a few hours ago so you have to go down and get in line like the old days. CMs have been great. Mickey and Daisy were doing the Cupid Shuffle with about 25 kids when we went down a little while ago. Gondolas were being reloaded onto the Skyliner. We were supposed to go to Universal on Wednesday but changed our reservation to stay put and intended to check in there tomorrow and fly home Saturday. However, with the latest updates on limited openings at Universal and uncertainty with the flights, we’ve decided to just reschedule all of that for next month. Refunded our UO tickets (through UT- shocked at the bad service the other DISer received) and canceled our reservation and we are just going to drive our rental car all the way back to New Orleans. There’s 5 of us but it’s a big Yukon and Alamo has waived all fees and says we can return it to any Alamo in the US.

Felt very safe staying here. Other than lack of communications and CMs being told the wrong things initially, it’s been a smoothe stay.
Only thing about the Riviera’s structure- I find the European vibe charming, but that means spaces are small in common areas. Ordinarily that just fits in with the theming. But in a shelter-in-place, it means all the nooks are crammed with kids trying to work out that energy. Also the gym is closed bc the only access is outside. Again it’s a beautiful place but some of the things that make it unique can be a drawback in a storm. Still happy to be in a self-contained building through this.

Also- I thought the picture was artistic.

And the urban and land use planner in me is thrilled with the infrastructure and water retention on Disney property. No standing water near us and everything seemed to work exactly as it was designed to. Round of applause for the designers.

Details Released for Disney World “Phased Reopening” of Theme Parks Following Hurricane Ian

Disney World has announced details for their phased reopening of the theme parks following Hurricane Ian. Here’s the latest:

We are continuing to closely monitor weather conditions as we assess the impact of Hurricane Ian at Walt Disney World Resort. We anticipate weather conditions to improve throughout the evening on Thursday, Sept. 29 and are planning for a phased reopening of our theme parks and Disney Springs on Friday, Sept. 30, with the following hours:

• Magic Kingdom
    • 8 a.m. Early Theme Park Entry
    • 10 a.m. all Guest entry
    • 6 p.m. close
    • Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
      • 7 p.m.-12 a.m. Party hours
  • EPCOT
    • 9 a.m. Early Theme Park Entry
    • 11 a.m. all Guest entry
    • 9 p.m. close
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios
    • 10 a.m. Early Theme Park Entry
    • 12 p.m. all Guest entry
    • 9 p.m. close
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    • 11 a.m. Early Theme Park Entry
    • 1 p.m. all Guest entry
    • 7 p.m. close
  • Disney Springs
    • 10 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
  • Fantasia Fairways Miniature Golf Course
    • 3 p.m. – 10 p.m.

Theme park reservations are required. To make or modify a theme park reservation, please visit DisneyWorld.com.

It won't let me make a reservation for tomorrow - shows it unavailable. Anyone able to make them?

We were on a cruise for a week before we came to WDW and had no clue about an impending storm until the porter at the port told us while taking our luggage to a DCL bus. Every employee at WDW volunteered to work. They want those shifts and are happy to get them. I think the CM’s know better than any of us where they belong,

Also, wondering why the hours on the MDE app match the above for MK and Epcot but not for AK and DHS…

Edited to add: They match now :)

Last edited:
And the urban and land use planner in me is thrilled with the infrastructure and water retention on Disney property. No standing water near us and everything seemed to work exactly as it was designed to. Round of applause for the designers.

Yes, well done, Disney 👏🏼 DH eyed the land surrounding our resort and reassured me that it would take a lot to flood the resort or vehicles in the parking lot. Just stay away from the drains, which can clog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter