Has anybody NOT had a disappointing trip lately?

Unfortunately, a lot of the types of comments in that article are what I've heard from those who read about this and don't love Disney like I do. I have the patience to figure out how to make it work for me, but most of them get turned off as soon as they hear the concept of booking 60 days ahead (even being told it isn't required).

Here is an interesting article that was posted a couple of days ago. Make sure you read all the comments. LOL

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...sEW6TeO6PBIMqxyMM6qJ/story.html?event=event25

Interesting article. This part jumped out at me:

And after all the prep work, my daughters’ confessed highlights were two moments I hadn’t planned at all: freely exploring Tom Sawyer’s Island, and winning the Hula-Hoop contest on our “off day” at Stormalong Bay, our resort’s pool complex.

Unfortunately, a lot of the types of comments in that article are what I've heard from those who read about this and don't love Disney like I do. I have the patience to figure out how to make it work for me, but most of them get turned off as soon as they hear the concept of booking 60 days ahead (even being told it isn't required).

I found out on our trip that you do not have to book anything 60 days out. We had 50 kids plus several adults and broke everyone up into smaller groups. I made the FP for our group. Other groups didn't make any FP. Some did so in the parks and some didn't at all. And every kid came home wanting to plan another trip! And so did the adults. Some are already talking about a graduation trip next year. They had a blast.

One group was determined to meet Anna and Elsa and they did without a FP (none were available when we got our ticket numbers). Our group was determined to ride the Mine train, couldn't get a FP so we waited. Others waited for everything they rode and still did all they wanted to do and loved it. Same in the other 3 parks too.

I argued the point that, "sure you can not make FP and then wait all day to ride everything" (and my apologies to anyone that I argued that point with!) before going but after being there firsthand, its not really that way at all.

The only thing I would have done differently is make sure we were at the entrance before rope drop but we still had low waits early in the day.

I found out on our trip that you do not have to book anything 60 days out. We had 50 kids plus several adults and broke everyone up into smaller groups. I made the FP for our group. Other groups didn't make any FP. Some did so in the parks and some didn't at all. And every kid came home wanting to plan another trip! And so did the adults. Some are already talking about a graduation trip next year. They had a blast.

One group was determined to meet Anna and Elsa and they did without a FP (none were available when we got our ticket numbers). Our group was determined to ride the Mine train, couldn't get a FP so we waited. Others waited for everything they rode and still did all they wanted to do and loved it. Same in the other 3 parks too.

I argued the point that, "sure you can not make FP and then wait all day to ride everything" (and my apologies to anyone that I argued that point with!) before going but after being there firsthand, its not really that way at all.

The only thing I would have done differently is make sure we were at the entrance before rope drop but we still had low waits early in the day.

I understand it isn't required. What I was saying was that - even when telling people that it *wasn't* required, the fact that it was possible and something Disney suggested has been a turn off to many people I have heard from. Again - please keep in mind this is what I have been told by people when they hear this information on their own, not having heard anything about it from me at all.

I'm glad your trip turned out very well. As I said earlier in this thread, we had a fantastic adults only trip in November ourselves. We didn't love FP+, but we didn't hate it either. Overall the amazing parts of the trip outweighed that one aspect.

A very honest, well-balanced article written by someone who has obviously spend a lot of time reading this Board and absorbed both the pros and cons of the New World Order. Assuming that the author had no bent or agenda in writing the article, and came away from the comments on this Board (and others) with a neutral approach when she took her trip, I find her conclusions insightful.
  • Her family did less than before.
  • FP+ was very helpful when put into use, but has some negative collateral impact.
  • Pre-planning with military precision erodes some of the joy of taking a vacation.
  • Cell Phone batteries cannot last past 2:00 p.m..
  • Extra FPs are not all they're cracked up to be.
  • None of this technological stuff made her trip more enjoyable and her most recent trip was not as "perfect" as her previous trip.
  • And in the end, she had tears in her eyes when it was time to leave and she has a sneaking suspicion that she will return.
I can't say that I disagree with a single bit of that.

A very honest, well-balanced article written by someone who has obviously spend a lot of time reading this Board and absorbed both the pros and cons of the New World Order. Assuming that the author had no bent or agenda in writing the article, and came away from the comments on this Board (and others) with a neutral approach when she took her trip, I find her conclusions insightful.
  • FP+ was very helpful when put into use, but has some negative collateral impact.
  • Pre-planning with military precision erodes some of the joy of taking a vacation.
  • None of this technological stuff made her trip more enjoyable and her most recent trip was not as "perfect" as her previous trip.
  • And in the end, she had tears in her eyes when it was time to leave and she has a sneaking suspicion that she will return.

LOL I will HAVE to show this to my husband!! (for the bolded part) DD and I both had the app on our phones. DH doesn't have a smart phone. He couldn't understand what I was doing everyday that was running my phone down. He kept thinking I was playing on FB and running my battery down. Could NOT get him to understand that wasn't what was happening.

We just returned last night. 7 days with 2 adults and 2 kids, one in a wheelchair. I was worried about the Magic Bands and the change in policy for guest with disabilities. We had one day last June at Epcot that was not a good one (rain, cranky kids, was more of the spur of the moment) and I was worried about this trip. HOWEVER, we had an absolutely wonderful time, possibly the best trip in years. We planned our FP+ out at the exact date at midnight, did ADR's at the exact date and there was lots of planning on the front end. But we did do changes through the few weeks before and even during the night before one park visit. I am now more of a fan of the Magic Bands than before and am even partial to the new disability system. My children did not lose their bands and it was sooo much easier than keeping up with a card. My kids actually enjoyed making the mickey head turn turn green! The castmembers were awesome in most cases and we were able to do everything we wanted to and more. Our only real disappointment was the new mine train - none of us liked it at all. So sadl

I am a Disney fan from way back and have been going with and without kids for years. Changes make me nervous and do make the planning a bit more challenging but for me the planning is really part of the fun - a reminder each time I plan a ride that we are going to Disney! I know that it is different for everyone but I wanted to share that a trip that I had so much doubt about turned about to be one of the most magical yet. We will be returning once again probably next March!!

• Her family did less than before. We did much more.
  • FP+ was very helpful when put into use, but has some negative collateral impact. Agree very helpful.
  • Pre-planning with military precision erodes some of the joy of taking a vacation. Wasn't needed for us.
  • Cell Phone batteries cannot last past 2:00 p.m.. Quite an odd statement.
  • Extra FPs are not all they're cracked up to be. Ours were awesome.
  • None of this technological stuff made her trip more enjoyable and her most recent trip was not as "perfect" as her previous trip. Ours was.
  • And in the end, she had tears in her eyes when it was time to leave and she has a sneaking suspicion that she will return. So will we.

Cell Phone batteries cannot last past 2:00 p.m.. Quite an odd statement

Seems like a fairly important point when writing an article on preparing to go to WDW. And so very true. (see LuvsJack's comment above).

Lol, I wonder if they were plagiarizing my past posts?

In any case, the batteries not lasting past 2pm is a very thing if you aren't managing your wifi and gps usage.

I tell people "That's why I'm an android guy, carry a spare battery and change it out. My S4 does pretty good though, lasts usually till 4~ I take 95% of my pictures with a DSLR though, so that helps a lot. My wife does a lot of cellphone pictures, her battery might make it till 2. Either way, amazon has 2 batteries and charger for about $25.

As someone with dozens (and possible over 100) visits to WDW spanning 36 years I agree, my experience has greatly diminished in 2-3 years.

I'll be having a final verdict next month, 8 days, zero ADR's and FP+'s booked 32 days out (because that's when we decided to try WDW again since I'd be so close for work). Crowd levels of 5 was the only reason we were even going to bother giving it another try.

Speaking of work. A good, or at least a great day, at work certainly does beat a bad day at Disney.

If you dislike your job that much, you should find a new one.

Interesting article. This part jumped out at me:

And after all the prep work, my daughters’ confessed highlights were two moments I hadn’t planned at all: freely exploring Tom Sawyer’s Island, and winning the Hula-Hoop contest on our “off day” at Stormalong Bay, our resort’s pool complex.

That part stuck out for me too. Really brought things into perspective for me. I liked the article and wonder if the author is an active Dis'er? :scratchin

The MDE app sucks up battery like you wouldn't believe. Glad I also have an android and carry two spare batteries in my pocket. I'm on the second one right now and down to 40% already.

As far as less done in a WDW park each day? Definitely.

Same day or 4th FP availability? LOL! If you don't have any FP's already scheduled and have an AP, you don't need a kiosk to see what little is left by late morning or early afternoon. Just pull up the app and try to make some.

In fact, try it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Seems like a fairly important point when writing an article on preparing to go to WDW. And so very true. (see LuvsJack's comment above).

Oh I thought they meant like "sunspots" or something occur everyday after 2PM.

But for planning-yes if you do not use a phone throughout the day and know it only last for so long, then bring a spare battery/charger, or arrive at the parks later like we do.

Although we never left the app running anyway.

4th and more FP+ availability is also depending on the week you visit-saying there are not any is not good advice for some weeks-and park specific as well.

The MDE app sucks up battery like you wouldn't believe. Glad I also have an android and carry two spare batteries in my pocket. I'm on the second one right now and down to 40% already.

Oh my, yes, MDE kills my phone more quickly than any other app I use on a regular basis. I bought an external charger as well as 2 spare batteries for my phone for our Nov trip specifically because of that. And yes, they were all needed at various points (and I did not leave the app running either). I think it's an important planning point to know before going.

My last trip there in February was one of the best and most relaxing one in 15 years. Beautiful weather, FP's and ADR off without a hitch and I stayed offsite.

Let's say that more often than not, additional SDFP availability is poor. But don't take my word for it - if you have an AP just check the app any day for that day and see what is available. Do it often enough and you'll start to get a really good sense of what runs out and when.

Then you'll know whether it's worth it or not to wait in a kiosk line. Which I still wonder why they don't have a reader board at the kiosks showing what is already gone so people don't hsve to get in line to find out.

That just seems like good customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter