Has anybody NOT had a disappointing trip lately?

The first time we went, about 13 years ago, I remember being rendered absolutely speechless regarding how spotless everything was-I am not exaggerating. DH and I made jokes about throwing trash on the ground to see how fast it would disappear, ranting about how wonderful every single meal was and how CM's went out of their way to be helpful, friendly, and yes, magical. I have not felt that way our last three or four trips. That does not mean we will stop going every year, but it is not the place it once was for us. We still love it, DH not so much, but he never really drank the Disney brand Kool-Aid like I did. I just hope and pray that by the time I have grandchildren to take there, the experience will return to what it once was.

Just an observation.

The OP was looking for people who have had positive experiences because of all the negativity on the boards. And for a few pages there were several responses from a lot of posters who don't usually seem to participate in the debates.

Until this post I had stayed away from the thread because my opinions about FP+ are well known. I think it's kind of sad that several others who are the most frequent sources of that negativity couldn't leave this thread alone instead of using it as the latest example of why the thread was started in the first place.

The first time we went, about 13 years ago, I remember being rendered absolutely speechless regarding how spotless everything was-I am not exaggerating. DH and I made jokes about throwing trash on the ground to see how fast it would disappear, ranting about how wonderful every single meal was and how CM's went out of their way to be helpful, friendly, and yes, magical. I have not felt that way our last three or four trips. That does not mean we will stop going every year, but it is not the place it once was for us. We still love it, DH not so much, but he never really drank the Disney brand Kool-Aid like I did. I just hope and pray that by the time I have grandchildren to take there, the experience will return to what it once was.
Just for the sake of thinking about it. Fifteen years ago most people were not as big a bunch of slobs that they are now. Also there were more CM's out doing cleanup. Want to know the reason why? People were allowed to smoke just about everywhere except in the queue. They had a bigger force back then because they were out there picking things up as fast as they hit the ground.

Now I'm not saying that they should allow smoking again, I'm just saying there was a justifiable reason why they had more out there then. I was there in February, as I said before, and the custodial CM's were everywhere. The place looked really nice and it was clean. There was a time also when Guests would see trash on the ground and pick it up. Now in the day of extreme germaphobia, it just stays until someone with rubber gloves shows up to do it. There are a lot of reason why it is messier then in the past, not all are blatant lack of responsible effort on the part of Disney.

LOL I will HAVE to show this to my husband!! (for the bolded part) DD and I both had the app on our phones. DH doesn't have a smart phone. He couldn't understand what I was doing everyday that was running my phone down. He kept thinking I was playing on FB and running my battery down. Could NOT get him to understand that wasn't what was happening.

DH & I had extra rechargeable batteries for our phones and never had to use them in the two weeks we were at Disney. Why would you need your phone on all the time for MDE - things don't change 'that' much!! We would check something, then move on - didn't have to keep searching over the same things - even when changing a few FP's or ressies. Our phones stayed charged just fine!

DH & I had extra rechargeable batteries for our phones and never had to use them in the two weeks we were at Disney. Why would you need your phone on all the time for MDE - things don't change 'that' much!! We would check something, then move on - didn't have to keep searching over the same things - even when changing a few FP's or ressies. Our phones stayed charged just fine!

Maybe they were filming parades on their phones or playing Candy Crush, while standing in line...? ;)

I had an awesome two week trip last summer, then a refreshing two night trip this past September (no I do not live close to WDW). Very,very far from disappointing!

Just for the sake of thinking about it. Fifteen years ago most people were not as big a bunch of slobs that they are now. Also there were more CM's out doing cleanup. Want to know the reason why? People were allowed to smoke just about everywhere except in the queue. They had a bigger force back then because they were out there picking things up as fast as they hit the ground.

Now I'm not saying that they should allow smoking again, I'm just saying there was a justifiable reason why they had more out there then. I was there in February, as I said before, and the custodial CM's were everywhere. The place looked really nice and it was clean. There was a time also when Guests would see trash on the ground and pick it up. Now in the day of extreme germaphobia, it just stays until someone with rubber gloves shows up to do it. There are a lot of reason why it is messier then in the past, not all are blatant lack of responsible effort on the part of Disney.
I am an ex-smoker and when I've seen the smoking areas lately, the ashtrays are overflowing and the ground is littered with butts. IMO these areas are neglected by the custodial staff and I think it's wrong. I just think it's another subtle way to punish smokers for their "disgusting" habit. Shove them off to the side and make the area as unpleasant as possible.

I honestly do not mind the negative reviews. I look at them as a chance to learn from someone else's experience. Like from my own trips, I can look back and see things that I could have done differently that would have garnered a more positive experience. I do understand that people are disappointed when they have a less than stellar trip. Not all of get to go multiple times a year or every year so disappointments are more pronounced. There are budget restraints to consider and vacation time that can be a factor. I work in education and our institution has several black out times for employees. Meaning my family and I as well as others cannot always go during slow times. People who go for the first time without past experience to guide them that end up disappointed, well I can't blame them. They're expectations are high, and rightfully so. It's vacation, they are spending thousands of dollars, and they felt using the disney website/dvds for planning was enough. Disney does not advertise that guests will experience hour plus waits and no room to view parades or shows, so they are surprised. I also get repeat guests not being as happy as they were when the parks were less crowded and everything was cheaper and there was more magic to go around. Basically I have vacation empathy. I feel bad for anyone that does not have a good time, because I know how amazing disney can and should be!

Just got back Tuesday from a trip with friends, we had a great time. Was pretty hot between 12-3 but found plenty of places to cool off, crowds were light before Spring Break hit Monday. Liked all of our food, rode everything we wanted, no problems with FP+ or any other reservations. Nice cast members, the new hub area is absolutely gorgeous, the construction on main street and DHS didn't bother us. Wonderful trip (and no rain)! Don't remember any problems with the bathrooms.

Just an observation.

The OP was looking for people who have had positive experiences because of all the negativity on the boards.
An interesting observation. Mine is different. The first question raised in the OP is: "So...still a good destination? "
The word "still" is critical. It is temporal. The question invites comparisons as to how WDW is now compared to what it was like in the past. And the question invites responses from all points of view. That's my observation. And I think that the folks responding have done a terrific job both pro and con.

I have been debating about putting this on the boards because maybe it's a little too sappy, but it's one of the big reasons why we have good memorable trips to Disney. My son and I got back from a week trip to Disney a few weeks ago. It was my third trip in a year but my sons first in at least ten or so years. This was also my first trip without my husband ever but he had to stay home and keep things up and running for us. On the last night we were at the magic kingdom just strolling around, it was getting pretty late and I asked my son if there was anything else he wanted to do before heading back to the hotel. He looked at the ground and said it just wouldn't be the same if he visited the magic kingdom and didn't ride Dumbo and did I think anyone would mind. Remember this is a six foot 21 year old man who is a rough and tough farm boy. So with tears in my eyes we headed off to ride Dumbo just like we always had when he was a little boy. Of course we had to go up high and he had a grin on his face from ear to ear! Those are the memories I hold dear and if Disney can keep giving me that then I will keep returning with my son and with any luck my grandchildren.

An interesting observation. Mine is different. The first question raised in the OP is: "So...still a good destination? "
The word "still" is critical. It is temporal. The question invites comparisons as to how WDW is now compared to what it was like in the past. And the question invites responses from all points of view. That's my observation. And I think that the folks responding have done a terrific job both pro and con.

I guess if you ignore the title of the thread and the rest of the post that went around the question that you lifted out of context you could reach that conclusion.

I think it was pretty clear from the first post and the follow ups from the OP that the OP was fully aware of a lot of the negatives and was looking for some counterbalancing comments. And the first 6 or 7 pages of responses seemed to take it that way too.

I have been debating about putting this on the boards because maybe it's a little too sappy, but it's one of the big reasons why we have good memorable trips to Disney. My son and I got back from a week trip to Disney a few weeks ago. It was my third trip in a year but my sons first in at least ten or so years. This was also my first trip without my husband ever but he had to stay home and keep things up and running for us. On the last night we were at the magic kingdom just strolling around, it was getting pretty late and I asked my son if there was anything else he wanted to do before heading back to the hotel. He looked at the ground and said it just wouldn't be the same if he visited the magic kingdom and didn't ride Dumbo and did I think anyone would mind. Remember this is a six foot 21 year old man who is a rough and tough farm boy. So with tears in my eyes we headed off to ride Dumbo just like we always had when he was a little boy. Of course we had to go up high and he had a grin on his face from ear to ear! Those are the memories I hold dear and if Disney can keep giving me that then I will keep returning with my son and with any luck my grandchildren.
Not sappy at all. The very first ride I ever took my daughter on when she was 8 months old was the Carousel. (The one with horses, not the one with progress!) We will continue to ride that ride together each and every trip for as long as I can hoist myself up onto a trusty steed! She is now 17.

Late to the party, but we had a great trip this past November.

Food was really good, crowds were not bad (but we're rope droppers), FP+ worked fine. I didn't notice any cleanliness issues. We had some horrendous weather, but there's no one to blame for that. Can't wait to go back next March!

This isn't sappy at all. It is a very poignant example of why so many people love going to Disney World without reducing the experience to how many rides they can get on.

Lifted out of context?? You really do have an axe to grind here, don't you. Every word that the OP stated that led up to that first question frames the question itself. To say that the question posed is out of context is way off base. And if you think it is, take it up with the OP, not me. It was their question. I think every person responding to this thread understood what the debate was and what was being solicited. If this thread bothers you so much, perhaps you should ignore it or block it.

OK. I ignored the thread until this morning and will leave it again.

My point has been made.

In all sincerity...it is the happiest place on earth for my family. We have been fortunate to enjoy several wonderful trips. We don't expect perfection. We're grateful when a "magical moment" comes our way, but in general just grateful to be there and spend time together as a family. I think if you look for imperfections you'll see many, not just at Disney but anywhere.

went last january and last october, have another trip booked for this september.
i'm sure september won't be my last trip.
i've seen many changes there since my first trip in 1974 with my parents.
don't always agree with the changes but i do accept them eventually.

could have had some aggravations in the last trips but nothing stays in my memory to say it was a disappointing trip.

all i can remember is the excitement and fun i had when i left and wanting to return again soon.

you get what you put into it for having a great time at the motherland.

yes, i did see some long line waits, long lines at counter service, guest services, and crowded busses, etc.
but, i chose to go when the parks would be busy and planned in advance alternative things to do if i ran into glitches.

i wouldn't spend the money to stay on site if i had a thought the trip would make me come out as a complainer or nit pick on some details that wouldn't matter weeks later.

anyone can find something wrong about any park.

I am a realist. I am NOT a Disney apologist. There are things Disney is doing that I do not appreciate or like. Having said that, we went in November and had a great time. I am going to have a good time in December, too.

OP here. Sincere thanks to all of you for your responses. Your opinions, regardless of which side of the fence you offer them from, are much appreciated. I will admit that it is a relief that the glass is still half full for most of you. You have helped me to feel enthusiastic again about going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter