Gall Bladder Surgery and less than 3 Weeks From Sail Date

Hate to hear you need surgery. Hope they scheduled you for early morning. Hard to believe you all are getting another BIG snow storm! We were right at 60 today!

Heal fast! You know you'll feel the need to clean before cruising!!:rotfl2:

Hate to hear you need surgery. Hope they scheduled you for early morning. Hard to believe you all are getting another BIG snow storm! We were right at 60 today!

Heal fast! You know you'll feel the need to clean before cruising!!:rotfl2:
Heck! I felt the need to clean before surgery, so I'm positive I'll need to clean before cruising.:lmao: I went to bed at 12:30 last night and got up at 4:30 to start more laundry. I cleaned especially good around the toilets just in case I get sick (which I ALWAYS do when I'm put under). Nothing like being prepared, huh?:thumbsup2 I can now vomit and even lay on the floor around my toilets and not feel icky. Well, wait a minute, my husband and son have been home this evening........:rolleyes:

Susan

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had mine out 10 days before cruising. If it's any encouragement, I had no problems and to this day do not have any effects from the surgery. I did have two large gallstones which was the reason for the surgery.

A co-worker of mine just had her gallbladder removed because like you, hers was functioning at 14%. She was back to work in less than a week and she feels so much better. She didn't realize how bad she was feeling until after the surgery. She couldn't believe how much better she was.

Hopefully, you will find the same success with your surgery, but I do believe getting it done before you go is the better option. You will be glad you did.

Heck! I felt the need to clean before surgery, so I'm positive I'll need to clean before cruising.:lmao: I went to bed at 12:30 last night and got up at 4:30 to start more laundry. I cleaned especially good around the toilets just in case I get sick (which I ALWAYS do when I'm put under). Nothing like being prepared, huh?:thumbsup2 I can now vomit and even lay on the floor around my toilets and not feel icky. Well, wait a minute, my husband and son have been home this evening........:rolleyes:

Susan

:idea: Tell them to step outside! You need a clean spot to lay down! :eek:

Praying your surgery goes well and you heal fast. Take it easy, so you can cruise your way, to a full recovery.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had mine out 10 days before cruising. If it's any encouragement, I had no problems and to this day do not have any effects from the surgery. I did have two large gallstones which was the reason for the surgery.

A co-worker of mine just had her gallbladder removed because like you, hers was functioning at 14%. She was back to work in less than a week and she feels so much better. She didn't realize how bad she was feeling until after the surgery. She couldn't believe how much better she was.

Hopefully, you will find the same success with your surgery, but I do believe getting it done before you go is the better option. You will be glad you did.
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. To be honest, I haven't really felt that bad until I had my first attack last weekend. I had sudden indigestion about three weeks ago that was so bad I had to have my husband get up in the middle of the night to get me some medicine, but other than that, I really didn't have much of a warning sign. Then, last Sunday, it hit me! I've only had one attack though, so I'm lucky. The bad part for me has been that ever since I had the pipida done, I've had chest pains and a headache pretty much all of the time. The chest pains ease up a little but then come back with a vengeance. I will definitely be glad to be done with that!

I hope I'm also like you and recover quickly with no side effects. I guess I'm about to find out.:confused3 Thanks again for your reply and to everyone else! It makes me feel so much better to read all of your responses and gives me something to do to keep my mind off of tomorrow morning.:goodvibes

Susan

I have not had my gallbladder out, and did not stay at a holida inn express but AM a surgeon. This what my patients hear.
1. Most people are 80-90% back to normal at 2 weeks. You can still tell something. Was done but it shouldn't interfere with your life
2. Incisions are watertight at 72 hours. They can take runoffbwater earliers. Don't submerge deep for 2 weeks.
3. Some people will eat and go to the bathroom right away so be mindful of greasy food and dark green veggies
4. Having surgery carries a risk of blood clots. That risk stays with you for weeks. Flying carries a risk of clots. Stacking the two risks together means you are very careful to pump you feet up ad down like a gas peddle frequently and stay hydrated.
5. Have fun and don't think about my bill. LOL

I had mine out about 7 weeks before our Alaska cruise. I was bummed at first because I was afraid I would not be able to participate in many things but the surgeon assured me I would be fine. Well he was right. I took it easy for the first two weeks since I didn't want to take any chances. I was in very little pain and didn't even use all the pain killers. I had no issues come time for our cruise and was able to participate in all our excursions ... Zip lining, dog sledding and white river rafting.

I still have some tummy issues if I eat the wrong food, but I have come accustomed to the signs and the foods that set me off, so I just have to be careful. They are actually somewhat similar to before the surgery, just without the pain attached to them ... I can live with a little tummy issue to get rid of that awful pain :).

You should be fine by the time of your cruise, just be sure to take it easy before then to allow time for healing.

Julie

I have not had my gallbladder out, and did not stay at a holida inn express but AM a surgeon. This what my patients hear.
1. Most people are 80-90% back to normal at 2 weeks. You can still tell something. Was done but it shouldn't interfere with your life
2. Incisions are watertight at 72 hours. They can take runoffbwater earliers. Don't submerge deep for 2 weeks.
3. Some people will eat and go to the bathroom right away so be mindful of greasy food and dark green veggies
4. Having surgery carries a risk of blood clots. That risk stays with you for weeks. Flying carries a risk of clots. Stacking the two risks together means you are very careful to pump you feet up ad down like a gas peddle frequently and stay hydrated.
5. Have fun and don't think about my bill. LOL
Thank you for your response! I hadn't even thought about blood clots. That scares me BIG time! I have a co-worker whose 19 year old daughter passed away after a simple surgery due to a blood clot, so I know they can happen! I will be pumping my feet like crazy on that flight--guaranteed!:thumbsup2 So, for anyone flying from KC to Florida on March 15th, if you see a woman that appears to be crazy, it might be me.:confused3 LOL!

I told my friend who is a nurse that I'd be staying at the Ransom Inn (our hospital is Ransom Memorial) today and got a great rate cause I'll just be there for a few hours. I figured $20,000 ought to cover it, don't you think?:lmao:

Susan

antlawn said:
Hope your surgery was successful. Lay around and watch it snow!!

Thank you! It got postponed 3 hours, but it finally got done. When I first woke up I had terrible pain, but we finally got it controlled with pain meds. None of my incisions hurt, but something in my right side is very painful. Not sure what that would be. ?? Anyhow, surgery was fine, and I'm doing ok. Thanks so much for checking on me!

Susan

Susan- glad you were able to get the surgery! I was sore initially too, but the pain will subside. Now you need to get healing for that cruise :)

Ginamarie said:
Susan- glad you were able to get the surgery! I was sore initially too, but the pain will subside. Now you need to get healing for that cruise :)

Yes, i definitely need healed for the cruise. Do you remember how long you stayed on pain pills? I hate how I feel when in on them, but I figured I better stay on them for at least a couple of days.

disneypoor said:
Yes, i definitely need healed for the cruise. Do you remember how long you stayed on pain pills? I hate how I feel when in on them, but I figured I better stay on them for at least a couple of days.

I only stayed on mine for two days but that was because I was nursing. I was a little sore but I kept it easy and didn't too much so I made it through.

Mandersons04 said:
I only stayed on mine for two days but that was because I was nursing. I was a little sore but I kept it easy and didn't too much so I made it through.

Thank you for your reply. I hope to get off of mine in the next day or so. Really my only pain is in my right side but not where any incisions are. I can't figure that out unless it might be the bike duct. At least the surgery is behind me now! :)

I didn't like the Percocet, so I only took that once and then stopped. I took Advil for a few days though.

Ginamarie said:
I didn't like the Percocet, so I only took that once and then stopped. I took Advil for a few days though.

They put me on loritab. I normally vomit with pain meds but haven't this time. This time I'm just a little delirious. Lol!

Hi! I just wanted to give everyone who was kind enough to post on this thread and answer my questions prior to my surgery an update on how I'm doing. The surgery went fine. I woke up to a pretty severe pain in my right side. They got it under control with pain meds, and when I actually left the hospital, I felt pretty good.

Fast forward 24 hours and things weren't good. The same pain I had when I woke up from surgery was back again. It was one of those pains that doesn't even allow you to breathe in without excruciating pain. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't walk around, and it was just a terrible pain. Then, yesterday I started vomiting. I knew it would come.;) I was seen by the doctor again yesterday, and he said that what is hurting so bad is a muscle. He suspects maybe a small drop of blood got in the muscle during surgery, and he told me it can cause terrible pain. We decided to stop all of the medicine he had me on cause if I was throwing it up anyway, it really wasn't doing me any good.

So, fast forward to last night. I FINALLY slept without pain! I switched completely to Advil, and I didn't even need it through the night. I'm so much better today!:cool1: I'm still sore and definitely couldn't run a marathon or anything, but I'm on the mend.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of your responses to my thread. I think I'll be totally fine by the time we leave for Florida (which is TWO WEEKS from tomorrow!!!!!).:cheer2: Take care!

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter