Exactly how tall is 40 inches

nuzmom

a real-life Merida
Ok, I'm not crazy, I know 40 inches is 40 inches, but my question is this...

Is that with shoes on or off? Are all measuring sticks the same height?

I've been reading that the measuring sticks for 40" rides are actually higher than 40" to account for shoes and "big hair". Really? If so, how much higher?

My ds #2 is 3 1/2 and will want to ride with his big brother and is currently at 39 7/8" with shoes on. Yeah, really, 39 7/8". Trip is almost 2 months away so I'm pretty sure he'll be 40". I haven't even tried other shoes to see if they measure differently.

I'm ok with the 40" height requirement, but IS IT 40" or higher?

PLEASE tell me the real story.

My dd was 3 years old and 40 inches with shoes on for our last trip in July 2003. She was very excited to go on Splash Mtn and we walked up, they measured her and....

she failed the test. The CM could easily waved a hand between the stick and her head. :eek: So I know the sticks are at least 41 inches or more. We didn't try any other rides so as not to keep disappointing her.

She is ready and willing for the November trip as she is 41 inches in stocking feet now!!! :bounce:

Karen

It is 40 inches in shoes.
If your little doesnt measure up, request a remeasure on a flatter piece of land--uneven land, and there is plenty of that is WDW, can affect the measuring by an inch or more.

We went through that with our middle one, who measured 41" at the pediatrician's office, but was told he was too short for Splash, after meeting the height requirement for BTMMRR!!!
We requested he get re-measured and they accommodated, then let him ride, as the measuring stick hit him on the top of the head.

Hope you have a great trip!!!!

I read this about Disneyland so would think it's the same for WDW. Shoes are included in the hight unless they are excesivly tall shoes. My son was about 1/2 inch too short for Indian Jones but nothing a pair of socks used as insoles wouldn't fix. I took them out once we went on the ride a couple of times as I was worried he would roll his ankle and sprain it. It didn't work in the afternoon guess I didn't get them back in as well oh well.

I've read other posts, as well as reader comments in some "unofficial" guide books, about this subject. Some people were able to do the "think sole, big hair" thing and get through while others couldn't. It sounds to me like it may be a judgment call by CMs and some are stricter than others (one person commented her DD was able to ride 2 out of 3 times on the same ride and the only difference was a CM change).

matsterrocks - I've heard that we all "settle" in height over the day so it's been suggested to measure early in the day to get your "tallest" measurement. This has something to do with the bone connections relaxing during sleep and "compacting" over time as weight is on them during walking/standing. Could be this happened with your son - probably not enough to really notice except during the afternoon measuring.

If her growth continues at her current rate, I think my DD will be just about 40" by the time of our trip. We'll head for the "height minimum" rides as early as we can. I'm also thinking I might have her wear shoes with slightly thicker soles for the morning in case the measurement "sticks" vary. She'll probably change into lighter weight shoes for the afternoon since I've scheduled afternoon breaks back at our room anyway.

With 4 children who have all been very slow growers, this has been an issue for our family for many years now. In our last trip, our youngest child measured in at 39.5" with bare feet, but was able to go on every 40" ride at the parks.

I can tell you that, with near uniformity, the cast members will not let the child ride if he/she stands under the measuring device and does not actually touch the overhang with hard skull (not just hair).

That said, while the measuring heights not completely uniform from ride to ride, they are very close -- and they do all seem to be at right about the 40" mark.

I'll give you the advice we used with our marginal children -- go buy a pair of Skeechers tennis shoes. They have a very large sole and will add nearly 1 complete inch to your child's height. (The kids seem to like them as well.) As a backup, cut out a pair of round circles on 1/4 plywood, paste a foot pad on the top for cushion, and then carry them in your purse just in case the child just misses measuring up for the ride. Obviously, Disney doesn't condone such a practice, so you would be doing this on your own judgement ... of course, it's just a 1/4 of an inch.

Enjoy your trip with your family.

Our DS was 39 1/2 (bare foot) last October and couldn't go on the rides even with his shoes on. He seemed to be in a slow growth period. At Splash, the CM said if they can freely pass their hand between the child's head and the mark, they can't go on. So you are also working against a CM with skinny hands.

Anyhow, he was about 40-40 1/2 in May. His cousin, who is a good inch shorter, went to WDW in the beginning of June. She made it on all the 40 inch rides. I believed they had big shoes and she has big hair.

DS is now 41 inches bare foot. We are going in Oct this yr so he will be able to go on all the rides he missed last year.

We noticed during a day spent at IOA that when our DS was just at 36" it would depend on how they measured him. Sometimes it was on a slight incline, other times it was flat. The incline easily made him miss the 36" requirement. For that trip is was no big deal. As we were approaching our next trip the following year, he was right at 40".

I had read a tip on this board to have them practice measuring at home with a stick. We had him practice walking up to the stick, putting his heal against the stick and standing up straight. Before long, he had the hang of it and when we went to Disney he passed every measurement--and he was measured every time!

Michael72

BTDT with my 6YO at WDW in June. He was just shy of 48", easily over 48" with shoes on. He was measured for Primeval Whirl at the AK and was literally a finger's width too short. Fortunately he wasn't disappointed (I took it much worse :p ) but we didn't even bother trying to get him measured for R'nR or anything else that had the 48" guideline. Not worth him not being tall enough and getting upset. ;)

Good luck, OP! I hope your little one has a pre-Disney growth spurt!

My 4 year old was just under 40 inches without shoes, but he was able to go on all the 40 inch rides last week. Including Tower of Terror!

On our last trip, I found that it really depended on the CM doing the measuring. They are all pretty close, and arent' going to let a child that is noticably too short on a ride. But I do think some are more lenient than others.

Having said that, please don't get too upset if your child is deemed too short to ride something (especially roller coasters). The systems that secure the riders (lapbelts, bars, etc.) are designed for riders AT LEAST a certain height. It is simply put a safety measure. And I'm sure if someone had a child who was "officially" too short to ride and they somehow got hurt on a ride, those people would probably sue Disney for all they could.

Rules are there for a reason. Be glad they have them.:D

Wow, what a difference the shoes make. After reading the replies, I took a look at his shoes and we measured him after putting on the "tallest" pair. With them on, he now measures 40 1/2". I feel pretty good that in 2 months he'll grow even more and he'll be fine for the 40" rides. But, at least now I know that the shoes make a BIG difference.

We're also practicing having him measured. Obviously, I don't want him to ride something if it would be unsafe, but I think he's goint to be tall enough.

Basically, I asked the question in order to plan our trip (I'm a planner). If 40" isn't going to be an issue, then we only have to stear clear of the 48" rides with both kids (and there's not that many to avoid).

Here's one last question.

I forget what the measuring sticks look like. Is it a stick with a horizontal part on top? Their head has to touch the horizontal part? A few people mentioned that the CM has to be able to pass their hand under the stick? Please try to explain how the kids are measured.

Thanks.

You've got it right ... the measure stick is often themed to the ride, but it will measure from the top, like this:
________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

We all know the height restrictions are in place for safety reasons, don't we? If my child was under the height by way of Disney measurement, regardless of what is height was at home, he didn't ride. We had this happen a couple fo years ago, my poor ds was dying to go on SpM. At home he was 44 inches. We told him he was all set! Good to go! He was so excited...The day we went to MK, we all ran to SpM, he ran up to get measured, and was off by an EIGHTH of an inch, I am sure! He was devasted...a man pulled my DH aside and told him to take ds to the bathrrom and stuff paper towel in his shoes. DH was ready to go do that, when I stopped him. Why cheat a system that was in place for our own safety? If I had allowed DH to do that and ds went on the ride, and GOD FORBID something happened to him, how would I ever forgive myself?

Disney measurement are pretty close, while not an exact measurement. the incident with SpM was the only discrepency we have had with height restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter