Dr. said no Disney :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised your dr. gave you that advice. I just got back in June from Disney and was 24-weeks and was told by my dr. that if I was worried, bring and wear repellent, but have a great time. Seems like it was a little over the top to tell you to cancel. the Zika virus is starting out just as bad as West Nile and all the other things that your dr. could make your worry about.

I can completely understand the OPs concern but that being said I also agree with others regarding speaking with more than one doctor (and probably not discussing what the other one said but really getting what several doctors say) and in-depth reading of the CDC's website so you as a person can make the most informed decision about your own health as you can.

Obviously not all doctors are giving the same advice or have the same concern as the OPs doctor. If I was a person who was really really prone to getting bitten I would probably look at it slightly differently (for the most part I don't get bitten but my husband sure does).

And just know that doctors do have different outlooks, personal opinions, experiences, etc. Heck even my eye doctor does things completely different than my husband's does (husband's eye doctor dilates his eye every single time while mine takes a picture of my eye with a camera thus not needing to dilate my eye and has been doing this method for at least 7 years).

TBH the thing that makes Zika difficult right now is there is still things unknown about it. The CDC's understanding of the virus adjusts over time and so do the doctor's.

Not to make a joke of a very serious epidemic and concern for many, many women and families, but maybe your Dr. was late on his/her ADRs and needed some cancellations. :rolleyes2

But in all seriousness, this is definitely a decision that you should make based on your comfort level.

My wife will be 6 months pregnant when we travel in November and we are constantly checking CDC and consulting with her OB as well as her primary. At this point, we feel comfortable going, but it's a fluid decision that could be swayed as more guidance and information comes out. One thing that will definitely change our minds is if there is a US born case that is reported.

That does stink. But I have to wonder just how a pregnant woman can go outside this summer. At least in the South. There is a chance, as good a chance as there is in FL (seeing how not a single case reported of it being contracted while in the US

I know some doctors are way more conservative than others. Sounds like yours is in that category. Did you address the real possibility of the mosquitoes being outside FL? Because I'm pretty sure they don't obey state borders

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, I would be super bummed as well!!

We just got back from WDW at the end of June, and we were doing some research regarding Zika because we were a little concerned about it. I'm not pregnant and am not planning on getting pregnant soon, but we have a 6 month old and I wanted to know what the effects of Zika were on people who weren't pregnant. I believe I read in research that the threat of birth defects caused by Zika is only if you contract it during your first trimester of pregnancy. Just something to think about. As others have said, do whatever you feel the most comfortable with. But as long as you are constistent with using repellent, and won't be in your first trimester during your trip, you would most likely be perfectly safe on your trip.

Best wishes to you, and Disney will always be there in the future! :)

This. Of course you should listen to your doctor and not strangers on the internet, but I'd be getting a second opinion, haha. Zika only affects pregnancy very early on in development and is basically the flu for everyone else. My husband produces several radio programs for doctors and they devoted an entire episode just to Zika two weeks ago. Dh even asked on-air, "So my eight month pregnant wife could go to say, Disney World, and not be worried?" And they said yes, without a doubt. It wouldn't affect the baby because the baby has been fully formed.

Doesn't this mean that all women of childbearing age should not visit ANYWHERE with mosquitoes? All Floridians in that age range should leave? Disney will become solely a retirement village if we all do that......
No, not all Floridians in that "age range" should leave, just like there should not be a mass exodus in South America or any other area that currently has an outbreak of Zika. However, caution is advised concerning pregnancy risks and Zika.

it means that women of childbearing age should use caution due to the risk of Zika. The current risk is for currently pregnant women and those that are planning to become pregnant within 8-12 weeks following travel to an area with Zika present by them or their sexual partner.

Men should use also use caution as they can spread the Zika virus to their partners for up to 12 weeks following their exposure / infection of Zika.

Note: Zika can also impact retirement aged individuals and there has been the first reported death of an elderly patient due to complications from Zika.

Dave

This. So very much this. I've been called a dangerous liar on here before for simply stating that I believe that other factors are at play here, but I'm shocked that a physician would give this advice. Definitely don't do anything you are uncomfortable with, but if it were me, I would see another OB, as well as research it in my own. I am trying to get pregnant, and we have a December trip planned. Based on my research, I feel completely comfortable with my trip. I have not (and will not) consulted my OB about this issue. I'm not trying to give you advice, but rather register my amazement at this. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you can find peace with your decision. It's so disappointing to have to cancel a trip.

As a biomedical scientist (specifically in neuroscience), I agree 100%. OBs that are giving advice on this are stepping out of their area of expertise. I would call an infectious disease doctor, see what they say.

OP, how many weeks would you be during your trip?

Did you address the real possibility of the mosquitoes being outside FL? Because I'm pretty sure they don't obey state borders
This is really true. The County where I live in the KC metro on the KS side is on the list of areas where zika/dengue-carrying mosquitoes are. D.C (where I just got back from) is also on the list. Neither one of these places are really close at all distance-wise to WDW or DLR and for reals most people wouldn't expect the middle of the U.S. to have these types of mosquitoes.

While the KC local news stories provide awareness there isn't a "omg don't you dare go outside" mentality even though my County has had 1 zika case confirmed (with several others confirmed in KS) but as we are aware of at the moment none of the cases in the U.S. are local transmissions.

I personally am not giving out health advice just providing some information.

Did you address the real possibility of the mosquitoes being outside FL? Because I'm pretty sure they don't obey state borders
Looks like the OP is in NY, and the species of mosquito most likely to carry Zika (the one that also carries dengue fever, etc) does not go that far north.

If I were in your shoes, I doubt I'd go either.

But, I do have to say, I don't ever recall being bitten by a mosquito while at WDW and I've spent plenty of my vacations there in the past 17 years.

Looks like the OP is in NY, and the species of mosquito most likely to carry Zika (the one that also carries dengue fever, etc) does not go that far north.

They do come up this way. NYC has been on high alert for Zika since the start of the summer. We do have that mosquito (although not as many as the gulf coast states) and many travelers coming from heavily affected areas. They aren't found in the northern part of the state but they are found in the small portion that is closer to the Atlantic.

The information (as well as my local news and news from the D.C. are when I was up there) I was looking at for my above comment is found here http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...y-where-zika-mosquitoes-are-likely-in-the-u-s (which was posted on 6/13/16)...it shows where the zika/dengue carrying mosquitoes have been found between 1995 and 2016 (ETA: I should clarify that the data for the Counties with the carrying mosquitoes goes up to March of 2016) and yes while NY is not listed on the map..areas close-ish to NY are on it like MD, NJ and DL and there actually was 1 county in NH that counted 1 year of the zika/dengue carrying mosquito during the time period listed above.

I'm not trying to get into a debate whatsoever where zika/denque carrying mosquitoes are but the truth is the mosquitoes that can carry zika and dengue have been found in locations you would not think of including places well outside of the south.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I'm sorry and that instead of mourning that last adult only trip, celebrate the fact that next trip will have extra magic with that precious little baby!

I do know how you fee though. We are also considering cancelling our upcoming trip due to me going through an unexpected illness last week and being in the hospital,(diverticulitis sucks a big one:crazy2:) so now lots of medical bills coming our way. Plus DS hit a deer over the weekend and we have to get his car repaired :furious: So many things outside of my control and it's making me so sad to think that I might have to give this trip up-after all of the planning and staying up all night to get the free dining deal, just booked our fast passes last week...:guilty:

The things we sacrifice for babies, right? ;)

I am sorry you're missing out. It really is disappointing in the moment and, "oh, you can go some other time" doesn't erase that.

I'm so sorry you are cancelling! You must be so bummed :(

I live in North Florida and am currently 19 weeks pregnant. We have a trip planned in two weeks to Disney World and my WHOLE Ob office just told us to have a great time! My sonogram tech just got back from a week long trip from Disney and the Midwife for my office goes frequently as well (We're all Passholders). We plan to do our gender reveal photo at Disney as well, so I know OP must be so sad about that!

I feel like other parts of the country make a bigger deal about the mosquitoes/Zika than here (NOT that we shouldn't take Zika seriously, we do!) Locally, the counties spray consistently for mosquitoes and advise people to make sure there is no free standing water on their property. I understand that erring on the side of caution makes sense, especially if you don't live here, but (just MY opionion, not out to offend anyone) I wish there wasn't such a knee-jerk reaction. I feel like with the statistics that I have read and personally living in Florida, wearing the appropriate bug spray would be more than cautious and I would still travel to another part of the state (specifically Disney World).

Good luck OP and happy, healthy pregnancy to you! pixiedust: I hope you guys can find a nice alternative little getaway or maybe this postponed Disney trip can be the amazing first trip for your little one!!! :earsboy:

Just wanted to say I'm sorry and that instead of mourning that last adult only trip, celebrate the fact that next trip will have extra magic with that precious little baby!

I do know how you fee though. We are also considering cancelling our upcoming trip due to me going through an unexpected illness last week and being in the hospital,(diverticulitis sucks a big one:crazy2:) so now lots of medical bills coming our way. Plus DS hit a deer over the weekend and we have to get his car repaired :furious: So many things outside of my control and it's making me so sad to think that I might have to give this trip up-after all of the planning and staying up all night to get the free dining deal, just booked our fast passes last week...:guilty:

Diverticulitis sucks a lot. How are you feeling now? :(

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, I would be super bummed as well!!

We just got back from WDW at the end of June, and we were doing some research regarding Zika because we were a little concerned about it. I'm not pregnant and am not planning on getting pregnant soon, but we have a 6 month old and I wanted to know what the effects of Zika were on people who weren't pregnant. I believe I read in research that the threat of birth defects caused by Zika is only if you contract it during your first trimester of pregnancy. Just something to think about. As others have said, do whatever you feel the most comfortable with. But as long as you are constistent with using repellent, and won't be in your first trimester during your trip, you would most likely be perfectly safe on your trip.

Best wishes to you, and Disney will always be there in the future! :)

We are going in a little less that 2 months and the above information is the same I received from my doctor. I will be 27 weeks when we leave - and because I am not in my first trimester the total risk is not there because the baby is pretty much developed and it can't retro back into microcephaly.

Sorry you had to cancel your trip OP - Many blessings on your pregnancy and upcoming trips.

Wait a minute. I thought that there were still ZERO cases of people who got zika while in the USA?? As far as I have read, all the cases that have been reported so far have been women who were pregnant and traveled to Central or South America.

The information (as well as my local news and news from the D.C. are when I was up there) I was looking at for my above comment is found here http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...y-where-zika-mosquitoes-are-likely-in-the-u-s (which was posted on 6/13/16)...it shows where the zika/dengue carrying mosquitoes have been found between 1995 and 2016 (ETA: I should clarify that the data for the Counties with the carrying mosquitoes goes up to March of 2016) and yes while NY is not listed on the map..areas close-ish to NY are on it like MD, NJ and DL and there actually was 1 county in NH that counted 1 year of the zika/dengue carrying mosquito during the time period listed above.

I'm not trying to get into a debate whatsoever where zika/denque carrying mosquitoes are but the truth is the mosquitoes that can carry zika and dengue have been found in locations you would not think of including places well outside of the south.
I'm in NY and was looking at the CDC map. I saw the (very small) area downstate where the Aeges aegypti are found. The rest of the state is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter