Dr. said no Disney :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is really harping or giving OP a hard time. Pretty much everyone has agreed that OP is making the correct decision for herself, even if it's not the same decision others would have made. However the fearmongering and misinformation/skewed facts really don't do anyone any good either. Knowledge is power.
Exactly this. Plus, people (not at all talking about the OP or anyone specific) who take no interest or responsibility for their own medical decisions in general astound me. I've never encountered an instance where gathering information is a bad thing. Also, furthering misinformation by saying nothing is rarely the right thing to do. Having the correct information and deciding to still use an abundance of caution is absolutely fine. Basing decisions on bad information is reckless. Again, just speaking generally. I'm happy that OP is comfortable with her decision.

I don't think anyone is really harping or giving OP a hard time. Pretty much everyone has agreed that OP is making the correct decision for herself, even if it's not the same decision others would have made. However the fearmongering and misinformation/skewed facts really don't do anyone any good either. Knowledge is power.

Have you read through all the pages? There are people who were saying your doc is wrong and get another opinion. They are warning pregnant women or those who plan on getting pregnant soon. Weather or not I have done all the research I am taking this zika thing a little more serious than I normally would because of my own pregnancy.

Have you read through all the pages? There are people who were saying your doc is wrong and get another opinion. They are warning pregnant women or those who plan on getting pregnant soon. Weather or not I have done all the research I am taking this zika thing a little more serious than I normally would because of my own pregnancy.

yes

I don't believe that's true because WDW utilizes mosquito management techniques on their property that the average person doesn't.

Clearly no stats back this up, but I can say anecdotally that I personally have been feasted upon more by mosquitos in my area than ever in WDW. In fact I can't really remember being bitten by mosquitoes on any WDW trip over the years, and I have read multiple posters here who have said the same thing.
I don't react to bites so I can't comment but DGD is horribly allergic. One bite and she gets hives from them. And she's never gotten that at Disney. I do think they have an incredible pest control program. Which may open up a whole new can of worms, just what do they use that is so effective? Maybe we don't want to know

I am not saying she should go or ignore her OB's advice but by this logic she should not get in a vehicle. I mean, there is more of a chance of her being in a car crash and injuring herself and/or the baby than contracting this virus. Would is then be the responsible thing to stay inside and not drive / ride anywhere until she delivers because she is not willing to take the risk? Of course no one would advise that. I guess I am saying life is risky. One can not hide away from the world.

Anyone who got behind the wheel of a car while pregnant took a much greater risk than those going to WDW. So, I would guess that every one did take risks - we all do. You just have to decide which ones you can live with, and which you cannot.

I'd still go. Might as well not leave the house if it's that much caution. That's just me though.

Guess the hundreds of pregnant women that go to Disney a day have uninformed doctors.

Is it feasible to not go to a certain destination for a vacation when there may even be a 'slight' risk for your baby? Of course it is!

Is it feasible to lock yourself inside your house and not take 'any' car trips? Of course it isn't!

What complete extremes some people are going to. Life itself is a risk every minute, of course, but putting off some things like a destination vacation is so simple - mainly disappointing - but, for me personally - just a drop in the bucket disappointing when I was awaiting the birth of my precious baby!

Will exit this thread after this post as some people will always think their opinions are the only ones, and that's ok for them, but we all have our own lives to live according to the decisions we decide are best 'for each of us'. I have always leaned on the side of caution, and have had no regrets for doing so. I still applaud OP's decision, but to each their own opinion. :)

Well that's not what I'm really seeing. The vast majority (including myself) who said they would get a second opinion have said multiple times that the OP is right to listen to her own doctor. Some have mentioned that their doctors did give opposite advice so it might be worth getting a second opinion, but that doesn't equal giving the OP a hard time over her decision. It is hers to make, and most have acknowledged that. As I said half a dozen times, it's not worth going on a vacation and be stressed all of the time. So if OP really trusts her doctor and is now afraid, she shouldn't go. That's the RIGHT decision for her to make. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree the fear is truly merited, though. Many doctors don't. I'm currently pregnant, and my doctor has the opposite opinion, so of course when people read this and have been told differently by their doctors they are going to say so. It's worth pointing that out for the other pregnant women on this board who are planning trips and might see this. I agree with a pp who said that "furthering misinformation by saying nothing is rarely the right thing to do." There have been zero reports of anyone being bitten by a zika mosquito in the United States. Statistically you are more likely to get attacked by an alligator at Disney at this point.

Yikes! I just wanted to come back and apologize - I certainly did not mean for this to turn into some huge debate, nor did I feel the need to really go in depth when explaining - I was merely just venting my disappointment since we obviously decided not to go.

We are huge travelers, and since getting pregnant I've been asking our doctors office about everything (although I didn't feel the need to ask about Disney since like most of you I thought no big seal because it's not being locally transmitted). We just got back from Hawaii and I asked about that too. In fact, we found out our plane was previously coming from Brazil and the doctor advised us to switch planes, so we did. I've seen flies and mosquitos on planes before and honestly, it was just no big deal for us to change flights. Overly cautious? Yes. But I guess that's where I'm falling into. Once hearing what the doctor said about Disney I called another one in the practice who I've been seeing for years (prior to getting pregnant as my gyno but he doesn't do on), we get along really well partly because he does food and wine every year. He was honest in saying they just don't know, but the office is advising against it. Yes, I'm in NY and there are a lot of foreigners here as well, and yes I'm still going outside. That's just silly. Purposefully being in lines and confined spaces is a little different than merely going outside. Honestly if we said Ft. Lauderdale I'm sure the dr would've had no problem with it. I've seen many tour groups, especially from Brazil (the mecca of zika right now) and even in Disney I've gotten bitten before. It's rare and unlikely that the perfect storm will happen, but at the end of the day, after being explained that and knowing what can happen to the fetus in the off chance it should happen, it's just not something I'm willing to risk. For a vacation. It's not a life or death trip. We go every year, and while I'm extremely bummed because I was looking forward to it, I get the reasons behind it.

I'm not going to get another opinion from a different dr or anyone else. When youre pregnant, at least at this office, you see an ob for everything. I'm not going to search around until I get the opinion I WANT to hear. If I'm not going to take the dr's advise, who is certainly more qualified than me in pregnancy, then why bother going to one?

Anyway, again, this wasn't meant to be turned into a big debate. Now going back to just being bummed out...

Very nice of you to come back and elaborate. I'm sorry you're bummed out, totally understandable of course. Wishing you all the best! :-)

No. It means women who ARE pregnant currently, or planning to become pregnant within a few weeks/months following a trip should not visit the mosquito-y hot spots. If one contracts zika and is not pregnant, there is no risk and the virus will clear in a few short uneventful weeks with no lasting repercussions for future pregnancies.
Exactly!

Because the OP has returned to explain she was just "venting" as opposed to asking for advice: closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter