Do you have, or have you, a gun/guns in your home?

Do you have, or have you, a gun/guns in your home?

• Yes, I have a gun/guns

• Yes, I did, but not anymore

• No, I would never want any in my home

• No, but I might one day

• other, add any comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
::cop: DH is a sheriff's deputy, so yes, we have a gun in the house. I'm not thrilled about it, but I can't really do anything about it.

Yes, my DH has his father's old rifle, but we don't have any shells. My DS also has a pellet/BB gun in the house.

Many. Locked, separated, we know the drill. Never had an accident, nor will we ever. Both children were taught from an early age not to touch them, then were put in gun safety classes when old enough. They still don't have the keys to the safes.

The responsibility of owning guns lie with the parents and we don't take that job lightly. I do have to say that many aren't fit to have guns in their houses, but I am not willing to give up my constitutional rights due to people not being responsible.

We have never had a gun in our house, we do not have a gun in our house and we will never have a gun in our house. No guns.

::cop: yep we have a few...no choice in that dh is a cop so we have to have them , they ARE locked up.

Yes we have several hand guns and rifles in the house all are in a safe. My DH is a::cop: Police Officer and we store the rifles for my fil. I grew up around guns my father hunted and belonged to a gun club. We also had bow and arrows in the house, we were taught at a early age to leave all of that alone unless Dad was with you.

This may not be a popular opinion-but here it goes.

I personally hate guns. If you hunt for the meat- good, have a gun but keep it locked up. I do not agree with hunting for sport, I have never understood the appeal of killing an innocent animal for fun. I think deer heads on the wall are creepy. This is probably because I grew up in a family with no guns and saw way too many Disney movies as a kid. I can't see a deer without thinking of Bambi!

I agree with the NZ attitude. A handgun is for killing somebody, only reason you have it and if you think otherwise you are deluding yourself. The chances that I would have to use it for protection are nil. Statistically speaking you are more likely to be hurt or killed by your own gun than to need it against a stranger.

If you do have a gun, keep it locked up. I agree that kids should be taught gun safety and to respect the deadly power of guns, but that is not enough. Many kids do not obey their parents and have an invincibility complex. They think that because they have been taught how to handle them that they can pick them up and show them to their friends and it will be okay. That's how tragedies occur.

Even BB guns are dangerous and will not be allowed in my house. There was an incident in my neighborhood growing up that has turned me off of BB guns for life. Some older brothers of my friends were playing around with a BB gun and a bullet ricocheted off a tree and hit one of the boys in the spine. He spent a lot of time in the hospital and came close to being paralyzed. Everybody thought that because they were BB guns they were safe.

I will not even allow realistic looking toy guns in my house. I remember being threatened with one by some neighbor kids who were playing around, I thought it was real and was terrified. Their toy was destroyed by their mom and they were grounded, but I have never forgotten it. There have been too many cases of children shot by cops or other people with guns who think the gun is real. There are plenty of other things for kids to play with.

I love guns, I was in law enforcement and worked part time for a gun dealer. That being said, I remember being a child and teenager. I could find any present in the house and at Christmas, I could open all of my presents and rewrap them. As a preteen and teenager I had a fake id and could sneak out every night of the week. I had my fake ID before my learners permit to drive. Do I think that any child even half as crafty as me would never find a gun? Please. I love my kids far too much to even risk it. As for gun safety and training, I just don't know that it works for every kid. My daughter, yes, my son, no. They can't even remember to flush after themselves every time and I am going to entrust them with the awesome knowledge of a gun in the house? I won't have one, and in my opninion it does little good.

We have several guns in our house locked in the gun safe. DH has a CHL, and is nearly always packing (where legally allowed). He wants me to get a CHL, too, but I won't. It's more likely to be used against me in my case.

Funny conversation my husband had a week or so ago with someone trying to sell us a monitored alarm system. We have an alarm system, but it is not monitored. The guy asks DH, "What happens if someone gets past your alarm?" DH answers, "Then I'll shoot 'em." Very matter of fact.

For those who are so vehemently opposed to guns: Are you really ok with only the evil people of the world being armed? I don't want to be armed myself, but I am definitely more secure knowing DH is able to protect his family if necessary.

Actually we have a rather large collection of guns. Several of them are specifically mine. DH is a police officer, but he leaves his duty belt at work so DS doesn't mess with it.

We are very pro gun, but we are also very pro responsibility. DH is a firearms instructor for his department and gun safety is paramount.

I love guns and I love shooting. I have a competition quality .45 that is the best gun ever. LOVE to shoot it. We simply enjoy target shooting.

We used to hunt, but don't any more. Just lost interest in it, I guess.

DH is a hunter, so we have a collection of guns that are ALL stored in a safe. Just don't break into our house in the middle of the night!::cop:

We used to. My husband had his dad's hunting rifles. They made me very uncomfortable and I don't like that lifestyle and wanted our kids to have nothing to do with it. I feel the same way about motorcycles, I want nothing to do with them.
I do fully support other peoples rights to guns and motorcycles, I just don't want them around me.

Or as my uncle the cop told me once. If a person is breaking in, shoot them and then drag them IN the house.

While many people joke about it, shooting another person is not something to be taken lightly, and killing another human being is never without consequences. From a technical aspect, it is also very difficult to hit a moving target, add in lighting and your skill level, make sit even more complicated,unless you have a shotgun and aim is seconday.
You also don't get to say, sorry he was in my house and the cops go home. You still get arrested and released and the attorney makes a recommendation. You might run the risk of a civil lawsuit by the survivor or if no survivor, their family. You will be saying you were within your rights, they will be saying you invited them in, you bought drugs before, etc or etc. They're unarmed altar boys and you become a vigilante killing over a playstation. The other thing to consider is that all of their family and friends know where you live after you shoot someone. The other issue is access, you are downstairs with your kids and someone breaks in, are you leaving them to fend for themselves while you go unlock your gun and load it? I just think people put far more stock in how safe they are with a gun than they really are. I prefer a security system with a glass break, audible and panic alarms. My children will never accidentally hurt themselves with a security system. There are also deep psychological ramifications for killing a person, deserved or not for most of us. If you ever meet a person that says killing another human being over property is easy, that is someone you don't need to know.

I have a small boy and I love him far too much to take such a risk with his safety. Guns are not allowed in my home and he is not allowed in homes where they are present.

I have a small boy and I love him far too much to take such a risk with his safety. Guns are not allowed in my home and he is not allowed in homes where they are present.

Do you allow him to ride a bike, go to a house where there is a set of stairs, walk across the street, play sports, skateboard or snowboard, ride in an automobile, go into a house where knives are present, or go swimming? (Just to name a few). A child is far more likely to be hurt doing any of those activities then with a properly-stored firearm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter