Crocs at Palo??

diznymom

DIS Veteran
With the new relaxed dress code in Palo, can you wear Crocs?

The only footwear DH and DS18 have are tennis shoes and cowboy boots. I really don't want to pack the boots or buy dress shoes that will only be worn for 1 occasion.

The only footwear DH and DS18 have are tennis shoes and cowboy boots. I really don't want to pack the boots or buy dress shoes that will only be worn for 1 occasion.
Well, I wouldn't.

As to the "tennis shoes" - are they the canvas-style ones that used to be called tennis shoes?
image_62882.jpg

Or more the typical walking shoe type of shoe?
5350_13216_0032_015_thumb_02.jpg

The second would be OK to wear (my husband wears them).

From the website. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/

Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy. We thank you for your understanding and your cooperation with the following dress requirements

DS has Converse high tops. He wears steel toed boots most of the time.
DH has these:
51XFH4lId7L._SS47_.jpg

If they do try to wear them, I'd prepare them for wearing borrowed shoes for the meal.

Could they wear the boots on the way to the ship and home again?

See my post below, after reading the new policy I think you could argue that they are ok:)

Last edited:

Well, I wouldn't.

As to the "tennis shoes" - are they the canvas-style ones that used to be called tennis shoes?
image_62882.jpg

Or more the typical walking shoe type of shoe?
5350_13216_0032_015_thumb_02.jpg

The second would be OK to wear (my husband wears them).

Isn't the second pair tennis shoes? To me tennis/walking shoes are the same thing. And actually reading the policy that @darnheather listed the sketched sandals and Crocs should be allowed, because neither are flip flops.

When did they change the Palo dress code? In 2016 we saw a guy have to change from jeans to borrowed dress pants.

Isn't the second pair tennis shoes? To me tennis/walking shoes are the same thing. And actually reading the policy that @darnheather listed the sketched sandals and Crocs should be allowed, because neither are flip flops.

When did they change the Palo dress code? In 2016 we saw a guy have to change from jeans to borrowed dress pants.
I think the change was fairly recent.

I think the term "tennis shoe" was originally applied to the canvas, laced shoes that were made to play tennis.

In more recent times, the term has been applied to most athletic-type shoes that aren't activity specific (hiking, running, whatever).

ten·nis shoe
ˈtenəs ˌSHo͞o/
noun
a light canvas or leather soft-soled shoe suitable for tennis or casual wear.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tennis_shoe

tennis shoe: a lightweight usually low-cut sneaker
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tennis shoe

I think most athletic shoes are not what I'd consider "light weight". So I don't think of those as tennis shoes.

Last edited:
I think the change was fairly recent.

I think the term "tennis shoe" was originally applied to the canvas, laced shoes that were made to play tennis.

In more recent times, the term has been applied to most athletic-type shoes that aren't activity specific (hiking, running, whatever).

ten·nis shoe
ˈtenəs ˌSHo͞o/
noun
a light canvas or leather soft-soled shoe suitable for tennis or casual wear.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tennis_shoe

tennis shoe: a lightweight usually low-cut sneaker
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tennis shoe

I think most athletic shoes are not what I'd consider "light weight". So I don't think of those as tennis shoes.

Kind of bummed they changed the dress code there, I get it for the mdrs, but am surprised by the pay resteraunts. I would still dress nicely like I do in the mdrs, but am very surprised. They must have had complaints about the dress code.

Kind of bummed they changed the dress code there, I get it for the mdrs, but am surprised by the pay resteraunts. I would still dress nicely like I do in the mdrs, but am very surprised. They must have had complaints about the dress code.
I think they've gotten it idea that most people (not you and me) feel "it's my vacation, I'll dress as I like". That's certainly showing up in the MDRs, also. By not making it more than a "suggested dress code" for such evenings as "formal" and "semi-formal" nights. Heck, they don't even care on "dress up optional" night.

When you say Crocs, exactly what type are we talking? I was in a Croc store recently, and they now have many kinds of shoes and some really nice regular shoes (for lack of a better way of describing them). I think the classic Croc is probably what most people envision, which is the rubber clog, which I recently saw an attorney wearing with his suit in court, so who knows these days.

I've gotten away with these at Remy brunch:

3436_mens-keen-newporth2_980_detail_02.jpg

I forgot to pack dress shoes one time, and showed these to the hosts at the podium ahead of my reservation. They had no objection.

Your husband's shoes that you posted should be fine, I think, but I suspect you have a stronger chance of being challenged on your son's Converse hi-tops. If the Crocs are the "standard" design, with no freaky-deakey styling, and are in a muted neutral color (black, tan, brown), my guess is that you'd be OK.

Of course, nothing that any of us says can be taken to the bank. I'd suggest doing what I did - take the shoes to the hosts ahead of time and verify they are cool with your footwear. Either they say "yes" and all is well, or they say "no" and you have time to decide whether to come up with a Plan B, or just cancel the res.

Or you just buy some dress shoes? They can be used for other things besides DCL signature dining, y'know. ;)

I forgot to pack dress shoes one time, and showed these to the hosts at the podium ahead of my reservation. They had no objection.

Your husband's shoes that you posted should be fine, I think, but I suspect you have a stronger chance of being challenged on your son's Converse hi-tops. If the Crocs are the "standard" design, with no freaky-deakey styling, and are in a muted neutral color (black, tan, brown), my guess is that you'd be OK.

Of course, nothing that any of us says can be taken to the bank. I'd suggest doing what I did - take the shoes to the hosts ahead of time and verify they are cool with your footwear. Either they say "yes" and all is well, or they say "no" and you have time to decide whether to come up with a Plan B, or just cancel the res.

Or you just buy some dress shoes? They can be used for other things besides DCL signature dining, y'know. ;)

That was Shmoo that posted the pic, not the person asking the question. Oh nevermind, you meant the subsequent posted pic

Me too, those are pretty much exactly what I wear, saves me from packing dress shoes:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter