Can we talk about TIPFLATION for a minute?

That's the other COVID introduced pet-peeve of mine - mobile ordering. I'm about done with the businesses that cater to it. There's a Jersey Mikes near where I live that is just awful. They take WAY too many mobile orders, then you get stuck waiting for your food while they make the mobile orders. The delivery guys get impatient because their tip depends on prompt delivery and they are waiting too - but if I'm not mistaken that tip does not trickle down to the guys making the sandwich. Just stop it already! Get in your car and go down to the store or, I dunno, maybe make your own sandwich at home. The mobile orders have to stop! And back on topic, no, I will not leave a tip since I am picking it up myself and it takes them way too long to make the sandwich.
</soapbox>

That's the other COVID introduced pet-peeve of mine - mobile ordering. I'm about done with the businesses that cater to it. There's a Jersey Mikes near where I live that is just awful. They take WAY too many mobile orders, then you get stuck waiting for your food while they make the mobile orders. The delivery guys get impatient because their tip depends on prompt delivery and they are waiting too - but if I'm not mistaken that tip does not trickle down to the guys making the sandwich. Just stop it already! Get in your car and go down to the store or, I dunno, maybe make your own sandwich at home. The mobile orders have to stop! And back on topic, no, I will not leave a tip since I am picking it up myself and it takes them way too long to make the sandwich.
</soapbox>
Why not order a mobile order yourself? I always use this option if available, cant remember the last time I got coffee and ordered in person.

</soapbox>
I love mobile order. Even when I eat in at Moe's now I mobile order so it's ready for me when I get there.

</soapbox>

I LOVE mobile ordering. About a month ago, we needed a bunch of Jersey Mike Sandwiches for a family gathering. I mobile ordered, waited about 20 minutes and went to pick them up - they were all ready to go for me. If I had ordered 10 Giant sandwiches in person, it would have taken forever and held up the line.

Why not order a mobile order yourself? I always use this option if available, cant remember the last time I got coffee and ordered in person.
I was talking about the Door Dashers. I really hate the ghost restaurants - storefronts set up just for mobile orders.

This. I don't understand why people seem so mad about it. Doesn't bother me at all. It's a feature of the credit card system, and as you said, not the easiest to disable. If there's a place where I don't feel a tip is necessary, I don't tip. Simple as that. Nothing to get worked up over.
I'm not mad and I'll find the no tip option any time but the default tip amount in every situation should be $0 and then the customer selects to add a tip. The default shouldn't be a tip at all unless it is a special circumstance like a large party.

All of these systems are configurable so not configuring it to default to $0 is a conscious choice like every other system setting out there.

Last edited:
I LOVE mobile ordering. About a month ago, we needed a bunch of Jersey Mike Sandwiches for a family gathering. I mobile ordered, waited about 20 minutes and went to pick them up - they were all ready to go for me. If I had ordered 10 Giant sandwiches in person, it would have taken forever and held up the line.
I want my food prepared fresh for me.
Online ordering just seems to create a situation where orders exceed the capacity of the restaurant to prepare food.

We did a 3,600 mile road trip in April and stopped at a McDonalds. I haven't been in a McDonalds in a long time. The woman that I believe was the manager in a voice loud enough for all to hear said "We're going to stop taking orders for 10 minutes, the kitchen can't keep up, we need to catch up".
The stopped taking orders at the walk up., they turned off the self service kiosks, they apparently shutdown the online ordering and stopped taking drive through orders.

And our favorite Sushi Restaurant with some frequency posts on their Facebook "No online, no phone orders today, we don't have the staff" The owner is the Sushi chef, and some nites it's just him and one server, he can't find people to hire.

Also love mobile order. At every place I go to that uses it, it is efficient and works well. Most places seem to prefer this to call ins or walk ins, I have found. They are constantly telling people who walk in to use the mobile order next time.

Online ordering just seems to create a situation where orders exceed the capacity of the restaurant to prepare food.

We did a 3,600 mile road trip in April and stopped at a McDonalds. I haven't been in a McDonalds in a long time. The woman that I believe was the manager in a voice loud enough for all to hear said "We're going to stop taking orders for 10 minutes, the kitchen can't keep up, we need to catch up".
The stopped taking orders at the walk up., they turned off the self service kiosks, they apparently shutdown the online ordering and stopped taking drive through orders.

And our favorite Sushi Restaurant with some frequency posts on their Facebook "No online, no phone orders today, we don't have the staff" The owner is the Sushi chef, and some nites it's just him and one server, he can't find people to hire.
Fast food places don’t usually make the mobile orders until you check in, so the food is exactly the same as what you’d get if you ordered it in person.

Restaurant servers aside, the one group of people I tip very, VERY well are.....airport baggage handlers. Do NOT tick them off. They have the ability to send your luggage anywhere in the world. If you treat them respectfully and tip them well, chances are your luggage will arrive without any troubles. Give them no tip or an insulting tip, and you could end up spending time in the airline's baggage claim office when you arrive at your destination.
When my son and nephew were taking a cruise, I recommended they tip the baggage people at the port well so they didn’t chuck their bags into the water. I’m kidding of course. Kind of.

Restaurant servers aside, the one group of people I tip very, VERY well are.....airport baggage handlers. Do NOT tick them off. They have the ability to send your luggage anywhere in the world. If you treat them respectfully and tip them well, chances are your luggage will arrive without any troubles. Give them no tip or an insulting tip, and you could end up spending time in the airline's baggage claim office when you arrive at your destination.
How? Hopefully you're watching when they print the label and affix it to your bag, and can confirm the tag is correct. Unless you think that AFTER you walk away they replace the tag on your luggage. The people who actually put the bag on the plane you can't tip (you'll never see them).

I could see shutting down online orders, but why penalize the people who came to the store. Give a free soda for the delay.

Any day I’m expecting Walmart and Shop Rite to include a tip option at their self checkout registers. ;)

When my son and nephew were taking a cruise, I recommended they tip the baggage people at the port well so they didn’t chuck their bags into the water. I’m kidding of course. Kind of.

Haha, reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Elaine is telling Jerry not to tip the Skycap so much as it's too big of a tip.....and Jerry's bag goes to New York and Elaine's bag goes to Honolulu....lol.

Here in the suburbs, about an hour from NYC, our area has definitely changed, since the pandemic. That's when not just mobile ordering blew up, but door dash.....or food delivery. Before the pandemic, mass delivery of prepared food was mostly still taking place in the businesses that provided delivery themselves.....pizza places and some Chinese restaurants. But now, it's everywhere. My niece and nephew (high schoolers) and their friends routinely door dash stuff from starbucks....and every casual restaurant in our area. Also for stuff like candy/snacks at places like Walmart 7-11. It's a whole new deal in our area...creates a lot more traffic.

In my little town, that is full of restaurants, around lunchtime, the town is full of illegally parked cars with their flashers on....which are door dashers picking up lunch delivery to take to the work-from-home crowd. It's the people who worked in the city and now work from home, and I guess never brought lunch to the office? Because my husband has been working from home since 2005 and has never once ordered lunch delivery. He eats something I make him before I head to work (1/2 sandwich or a salad), makes himself a protein smoothie, or has some leftovers from dinner the night before.

I suppose this type of change would have eventually become more common in our area, but certainly not as quickly and pervasively because of the hybrid work schedules that most people around here now have. Many simply never went back to the office, and in many cases....the office is no longer there. Well, the office in the city is there, just sitting empty and not leased.

While I don't love that change, I do use mobile ordering whenever I can. I use Panera regularly and it's nice to just place my order on their App and then walk in about ten minutes later and my order is sitting there in the pick-up area.

I'm not mad and I'll find the no tip option any time but the default tip amount in every situation should be $0 and then the customer selects to add a tip. The default shouldn't be a tip at all unless it is a special circumstance like a large party.

All of these systems are configurable so not configuring it to default to $0 is a conscious choice like every other system setting out there.
:thumbsup2I’ve never thought of this before you mentioned it, but yes - that absolutely would make it more palatable. Almost all of them default to the “middle” amount, which is most often 20%.

For decades it's been a custom to tip people that handle or help you with your bags. Please keep doing so.

It's all the other tipping that's gotten out of control. I went to a self-serve yogurt store and I got the tip prompt.

I will tip at restaurants where I'm served, food delivery drivers, bellhops, taxis, uber, and Lyft drivers. For everything else, I have no trouble or guilt in selecting the no-tip button.

Saw a blog post the other day where a self-checkout kiosk asked for a tip at EWR lol.

Can’t find it but I read a great article on it the other day. Businesses like a florist were interviewed about adding a tipping screen. They did it because some people click it, some don’t, and the amount of people who get mad and walk away is far outweighed by the additional income coming in. They didn’t care if people tipped or not but since some of their customers are willing to give them more money, they’ll take it. General consensus on the customer end is the screen is guilt inducing. It is also designed to induce societal pressure to tip with the big, fat buttons everyone standing 4 feet away can see. I’ve fallen for that before. I never tip at fast food or coffee shops but if I’m out with a group of people and everyone is clicking the tip screen I don’t wanna be seen as a cheap jerk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter