Will cruise lines require passengers to wear a Face Mask? - POLL

Will cruise lines require guests to wear a Face Mask?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Removed the attacking comments from this thread too... not a great day for friendly banter. Please stay on topic and do not attack each other....

well in a few weeks in The UK people will be doing this. It will be interesting to see if peoples opinions will change once they see all the videos of people back on DCL , on The Magic. It kinda reminds me of all the negativity before WDW reopened, how everyone was like oh noooo, thats not what a Disney vacation is, but now that its beeen open for months, its not that much of an issue
Things have changed a lot since WDW opened. Many states no longer have mask mandates and businesses are open at 100%. capacity. I haven't worn a mask in over a month. Even WDW is starting to relax restrictions. When I went to WDW last Summer there weren't a lot of options. Every place I could have gone had restrictions. That's not the case anymore. Getting on a cruise ship with these restrictions would feel like taking a step backwards.

Things have changed a lot since WDW opened. Many states no longer have mask mandates and businesses are open at 100%. capacity. I haven't worn a mask in over a month. Even WDW is starting to relax restrictions. When I went to WDW last Summer there weren't a lot of options. Every place I could have gone had restrictions. That's not the case anymore. Getting on a cruise ship with these restrictions would feel like taking a step backwards.
I truly hope cruises are more relaxed than what I am hearing although I would not be surprised if they are strict. WDW will need to be much more relaxed across the board before we can even hope that DCL is relaxed at all

well for the rest of the world, specifically Europe and The UK, theses restrictions are in line with current land based restrictions. USA is far ahead, so what you see as taking a step backward, is actually our day to day life. My guess is that USA is so far ahead of the rest of the world, that these restrictions will be kept by DCL until Europe and other countries catch up.

I truly hope cruises are more relaxed than what I am hearing although I would not be surprised if they are strict. WDW will need to be much more relaxed across the board before we can even hope that DCL is relaxed at all
I'm expecting WDW to drop the outdoor mask requirement in the next few months. I could be wrong, but if they follow the "science" then they should.

well for the rest of the world, specifically Europe and The UK, theses restrictions are in line with current land based restrictions. USA is far ahead, so what you see as taking a step backward, is actually our day to day life. My guess is that USA is so far ahead of the rest of the world, that these restrictions will be kept by DCL until Europe and other countries catch up.
I don't see why what's going on in Europe should apply to cruises out of the U.S.

I'm expecting WDW to drop the outdoor mask requirement in the next few months. I could be wrong, but if they follow the "science" then they should.
Lol...I hope so as I am planning to go in December. Only reason I booked is that I assumed it would..or I should say SHOULD be mostly normal by then

Don't take my word for it but if I am not mistaken, sitting in the hot tub with someone else than your own travel party is forbidden.

Honestly, I think it was a bad idea to let any info come out on this matter before the CDC has made an agreement with the cruise lines... Circumstances and rules could change at anytime and we still don't have a date where sailings will resume...

Bahamas just announced that vaccinated guests don't have to present a negative PCR test and no mask on CocoCay.

Why would they do that? I hope their health minister knows that vaccinated people can still be carriers for the virus and be asymptomatic. Bill Maher for example.

Why would they do that? I hope their health minister knows that vaccinated people can still be carriers for the virus and be asymptomatic. Bill Maher for example.

I'm sure they do, and also that they are less likely to transmit to others. If transmissions shoot up from vaccinated individuals I'm sure they would clamp back down on testing requirements and masking.

I'm sure they do, and also that they are less likely to transmit to others. If transmissions shoot up from vaccinated individuals I'm sure they would clamp back down on testing requirements and masking.

Well, we wouldn’t know if we are talking about the USA. CDC recently announced they’re no longer tracking positive covid infections by vaccinated people UNLESS they’re hospitalized or die.

Here’s the link if you want to read and see the most recent chart before they decided to make the change.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

I think it’s inconsistent to say over the past year that one should employ multiple mitigation techniques because they could be asymptotic and spread it to several folks, but now it doesn’t matter if you’re asymptomatic because you’ve been vaccinated. You’re still potentially a carrier. And now they’re not even going to track it anymore, so no one will have hard numbers to look back on going forward.

Well, we wouldn’t know if we are talking about the USA. CDC recently announced they’re no longer tracking positive covid infections by vaccinated people UNLESS they’re hospitalized or die.

Here’s the link if you want to read and see the most recent chart before they decided to make the change.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

I think it’s inconsistent to say over the past year that one should employ multiple mitigation techniques because they could be asymptotic and spread it to several folks, but now it doesn’t matter if you’re asymptomatic because you’ve been vaccinated. You’re still potentially a carrier. And now they’re not even going to track it anymore, so no one will have hard numbers to look back on going forward.
3 new studies came out the end of last week supporting that vaccinated people are a low risk to spread to others, that’s part of why the CDC has shifted.
Prior they were working on the possibility it could still be spread easily because they just didn’t know for sure and some other infectious diseases have shown that ability. Now that it is beginning to be better understood about this virus, adjustments are being made. It’s still an evolving situation.

3 new studies came out the end of last week supporting that vaccinated people are a low risk to spread to others, that’s part of why the CDC has shifted.
Prior they were working on the possibility it could still be spread easily because they just didn’t know for sure and some other infectious diseases have shown that ability. Now that it is beginning to be better understood about this virus, adjustments are being made. It’s still an evolving situation.

Do you have a link to these studies, I haven’t seen anything about them.
Are they saying vaccinated people have a low chance of spreading, or that most vaccinated people are asymptomatic, therefore a lower rate of spread? Which would suggest, asymptomatic people aren’t really spreading it.

Do you have a link to these studies, I haven’t seen anything about them.
Are they saying vaccinated people have a low chance of spreading, or that most vaccinated people are asymptomatic, therefore a lower rate of spread? Which would suggest, asymptomatic people aren’t really spreading it.
I don't have a link to the studies that they mentioned, but the emerging consensus is that vaccines are effective at preventing the infection entirely, so they also prevent transmission. In the US studies, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were ~90% effective at preventing symptomatic infection, and 80% effective at preventing asymptomatic infection.

The CDC has a summary of the studies as of April 2nd here ... tables 1a and 1b (and the narrative near them) are of interest to what you're asking (and there are links to the actual underlying studies): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

I would like to read the studies, and not take someone’s words for it.

The CDC isn’t even tracking positive cases of vaccinated individuals anymore unless it results in hospitalization or death. Do you know what that means? They’ll be able to say, we have no data that suggests vaccinated individuals are contracting covid-19.

Even Fauci just admitted that 40% of his staff at the NIH is unvaccinated against covid-19. The question is why?

The underlying studies are linked at the site I posted above for your perusal--plenty of data out there for you to review on your own.

Specifically, on the Pfizer/Moderna study of vaccinated individuals, they observed 39,000 asymptomatic healthcare workers who took PCR tests prior to working on medical procedures who were a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals and found the positivity rate to be significantly lower amongst those who were vaccinated than those who were not. https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab229/6167855

In the UK study, they observed the households of 144,525 healthcare workers and found households where the healthcare worker was vaccinated were 54% less likely to see another household member contract COVID-19. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.11.21253275v1

And early on in Israel, the data suggested that the vaccine was as much as 94% effective at reducing both symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission.

While nothing is certain in life, there is a preponderance of real evidence that the vaccine reduces transmission.

Last edited:

The CDC isn’t even tracking positive cases of vaccinated individuals anymore unless it results in hospitalization or death. Do you know what that means? They’ll be able to say, we have no data that suggests vaccinated individuals are contracting covid-19.

Even Fauci just admitted that 40% of his staff at the NIH is unvaccinated against covid-19. The question is why?
8 vaccinated players from the Yankees just tested positive. They are all asymptomatic. Even if they weren't vaccinated chances are most of them would be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms since they are all young and healthy. I think it's too early to know how well the vaccines work. I want them to work because I'd like to cruise next year.

Sounds like this became the vaccine thread since the other was locked for the day due to rising tempers... it is open again, so please lets try to get this thread back on topic.

In an effort to get it on topic, no, they won’t require masks while outdoors on ships. They can say it’s on the honor system for vaccinated folks only, but the show will go on.

I realize a lot of folks want the restrictions to continue and have diminished experiences, but the bottom line is that the jobs report last Friday was flat out horrible. Disney earnings report showed that the parks have been battered and Disney+ subs fell way below estimates.

Profits always come first, and Disney knows a lot of people aren’t willing to pay for a diminished experience, especially in Florida heat. Guidance needed to come from the CDC first so that businesses could just throw up their hands and say “we’re just following cdc guidelines.” I think the CDC is ok with taking the heat from a few upset individual, no one likes them very much right now.

Universal just dropped the outdoor mask requirement so I guess the balls in Disney's court now. If I go back in the next year my biggest concern is how they are going to manage capacity without some kind of fast pass system.

edit. Just saw the article that Disney dropped outdoor masking.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter