What do you do with people that cut in line to meet up with group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I don't agree that people should actually cut in line. However, if they are in line and have to leave, it's kinda not cutting. And since you don't really know.....

Yeah it is. You can take the position you don't care about breaking the rules, but you don't get to pretend those aren't the rules.

This was from a prior thread on line-jumpers:

---------------
Dear Mr. Rodgers,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort.

The general rule for parties in line is that every member of the group
must be present and enter the attraction together. Another person
showing up later, for any reason, is typically not allowed to catch up
with their party. We hope this answers your question.

I hope your next visit is filled with many more special memories.

Sincerely,

Betsy Kent
Guest Communication Services
Walt Disney World Resort

oh, and just because you have an opinion that something is wrong doesn't mean you are" bent out of shape" about it.
(adding this to the "ruin my day", "stressed out", etc, over the top misrepresentations.

hyperbole does not make for a convincing argument in a debate.

That's nice but the two who tried it didn't that day! And no my BP was fine especially when the entire line started riding the people who were cutting and they had to sheepishly stand there and listen.

I'm also very glad that you are so proud of being rude and feeling so special that rules don't apply to you. Like I said I'll take the 5 yr olds who know how a line works.

Oh I'd venture a guess that most people would consider you to be the rude one outside of these boards if you actually read what I said.

Yeah it is. You can take the position you don't care about breaking the rules, but you don't get to pretend those aren't the rules.

---------------
Dear Mr. Rodgers,

Sincerely,

Betsy Kent
Walt Disney World Resort

Actually, this pretty much SPECIFICALLY limits cutting to those who don't enter together, not those who enter together and then have to split up for some reason. But it's nice to be validated!

---------------
Dear Mr. Rodgers,

Sincerely,

Betsy Kent
Walt Disney World Resort

Hmm, for someone that likes hyperbole and seems to be well read, you didn't address what I said at all.

I specifically said rejoin. Care to take a crack at what "re" means, in that regard?

I don't see anything in your precious rules about that. What I did say was that you don't know.

RIF (that means "reading is fundamental")

Just FYI :thumbsup2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_(in_line)

Covert cutting

In lieu of following the procedure mentioned above, some will "cut in line" by joining up with family members or friends already standing in line. This action is usually more acceptable, but can still be considered "cutting." Many times, this action is purely out of convenience, when one member of the group "saves a place" for the other members, especially when the wait is lengthy. However, this is not always the case. It is more acceptable when the two people are simply together to conduct one transaction, however if both people plan to conduct one transaction each, it is particularly disrespectful (especially in queues with slow cycle times due to high individual transaction times).

Other forms of cutting

Some consider leaving a line and returning to the same point later a form of cutting. An example might be a person waiting in line for an amusement park ride who realizes that he or she would like to leave behind an item (such as a coat or beverage) with someone else. Should the person leave the line, relieve himself of such an item, and return to his place, some might consider the act cutting (even if it were known that the person was in the line previously).

National attitudes

In former Communist countries, where waiting in long queues was a near-daily occurrence for some, especially at times of rationing, the act of waiting in line and the code of conduct associated with it is much more institutionalized and regimented to this day (See Consumer supply in the Soviet Union in the 1980s). In Russia, for example, the art of queuing is finely-honed: it is acceptable for a person to leave the queue to use the bathroom (or similar brief diversion) and then return to their original place without having to ask permission. It is also common for a person to be allowed to jump to the front of the queue in special cases, like the need to purchase a ticket for an imminently departing train. This can also be seen in Cuba, including notably at the Coppelia ice cream stores, and in Spain where an arriving patron asks "¿Quién es el último?" (Who is last?) and is then behind that person in the queue, which is not always a physical line.

Actually, this pretty much SPECIFICALLY limits cutting to those who don't enter together, not those who enter together and then have to split up for some reason. But it's nice to be validated!

Awww, you jumped to the climax, sort of.

:thumbsup2

oh, and just because you have an opinion that something is wrong doesn't mean you are" bent out of shape" about it.
(adding this to the "ruin my day", "stressed out", etc, over the top misrepresentations.

hyperbole does not make for a convincing argument in a debate.

Then why are so many of you resorting to it?

I happen to agree.

I want a T-Shirt that says 'I report line cutters!'

Most of the line cutting we've experienced has come from people from other countries. Brazilian tour groups are horrid at shoving their way up front. We also had a European family that tried to cut by putting their hands on my daughter and shoving her to the side. I don't have a problem with letting a single person or a single parent with a child join their group. And while I understand cultural differences, I'm not going to allow them to cut. And the minute someone lays a finger on my kid - they are bringing out my inner Disney Villain. :stir:

It just occurred to me that rejoining family is even LESS of a issue than I was thinking, in light of the construction of most WDW rides. Generally there are cars, ships, honeypots, whatever, with spaces for a certain number of people. If my family reaches the ride and I'm held up, it's not as if someone ahead of me is going to be allowed to ride with them! The space will remain empty, or, at most, someone from a single rider line (which don't even exist at most rides) might be allowed to join them.

So yeah, those who refuse to let families reconnect are only hurting people out of some perverted and misplaced sense of "theme park justice". They aren't even helping themselves.

:confused3

I want a T-Shirt that says 'I report line cutters!'

Most of the line cutting we've experienced has come from people from other countries. Brazilian tour groups are horrid at shoving their way up front. We also had a french family that tried to cut by putting their hands on my daughter and shoving her to the side. I don't have a problem with letting a single person or a single parent with a child join their group. And while I understand cultural differences, I'm not going to allow them to cut. But the minute someone lays a finger on my kid - they are bringing out my inner Disney Villain. :stir:

See that is when I'd get ejected from the park. Fortunately, it has never happened to me.

wow, getting a mite heated.

to me, leaving a line you were already in (bathroom, etc) is ok. catching up to a spot holder is not.

neither is going around someone because you want to "zip" through the line, and they, for whatever reason, are slower than you would like.

line cutting is an example of entitlement and is rude. but my having this point of view does not ruin my day, stress me out, etc .

guess that puts me in the middle:crowded:

I don't think anyone in this thread is going to convince the other that they are "right". At this point, I don't think you guys can even agree to disagree. I will resort to the golden rule again.

goldenrule1.jpg

If I had a dime for every time the word "entitlement" was used in this thread, I'd be able to pay for another trip to WDW...

These threads start up every so often.
What it comes down to is.

Do you feel that;

1. Your entitled to leave a line an return to it so long as one of your party is still waiting?

2. Or do you feel that once a person leaves a line for any reason, they should re-join the que at the back?

I personally feel #2 is most polite. But these two sides will never see eye to eye. It is strictly a matter of where you see yourself in this world. Either you understand that you and your problems do not matter to other people or you think that people are understanding of your life and all that goes with it.

AS a member of #2 and the "my problems are mine and do mot matter to others" camp, I will never be able to grasp the thinking of the other side.

My challenge is to not let this behavior bother me.

P.S Last time I was a WDW , we had this happen in just about every ride. So I have alot of work cut out for me.

A last thought, This sort of thing never, and I mean NEVER occurred when I was a child. What does that say about us?

If I had a dime for every time the word "entitlement" was used in this thread, I'd be able to pay for another trip to WDW...

sorry if I used an apparrently "overused" word. I didn't keep count. just used a word that I thought fit.:confused3

I meant it's basically unfair to go ahead of someone who was there before you. IMO, people who do this think they deserve something more than someone else who is equally
entitled.

oops, it just slipped out, honestly!!!;):rotfl:
(just trying to lighten things up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter